1st and 3rd person perspectives assigned to survivor and killer should be opposite!?

Incarnate
Incarnate Member Posts: 677
edited September 2018 in General Discussions

Personally I think the 1st and 3rd person perspectives assigned to survivor and killer should be opposite of what they are now. There are several reasons for that, one of them being I think it would be more balanced that way and at same time also much more immersive than it currently is. It will also make it more difficult for a survivor to juke and loop around, simply because the player doesn't have peripheral vision that allows him or her to know where the killer is without actually having to be looking in the killers direction. Considering it's a 4 vs. 1, it makes more logical sense to give first person perspective to the survivors than the killer, and then offer more ways for survivors to communicate, and offer more ways to deal with the killer than just hide, run, distract and bodyblock, etc. The killer should at least have the option to use 3rd person perspective, since the killer needs more map awareness, than what the survivors do. As it is currently, it actually favors the survivors as it gives the them an edge they actually don't need, if anyone needs that edge it would be the killer as it is 4 against 1.

It would definitely be interesting to test it out, and see how it actually would affect how people would then play instead. I think it will have a tremendous impact on gameplay, and how immersed players will feel.

What do you people think?
-Please try to remain as objective as possible.

Comments

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    edited September 2018
    In a horror game, I agree.
    But then I wouldn't be able to check out my sexy cosmetics anymore, so I'm torn.
    I think when crouching, survivors should transition to 3rd person, while walking and running becomes 1st person.
  • SovererignKing
    SovererignKing Member Posts: 1,273
    edited September 2018
    But then I wouldn't be able to check out my sexy cosmetics anymore, so I'm torn.
    I think when crouching, survivors should transition to 3rd person, while walking and running becomes 1st person.
    This sounds good. Though to the OP, no way should Killer be third person. You wouldn’t be able to hide at all as Survivor. 
  • Incarnate
    edited September 2018

@Tizzle said:
    You're right it would have a tremendous impact as in completely break the game.

Why would it? The balance is already skewed in favor of the survivors because of it, considering they're 4 against 1, why do they need it? Why should they be given extrasensory perceptive powers? Because that's what 3rd person perspective is for a human.

@Visionmaker said:

Well they could make an option for the character to do a pose, where when doing this pose you get a limited 3rd person perspective of the character and the character is locked in this pose for a short duration - similar to that of an animated emote - basically an option to inspect your character while playing.

@SovererignKing said:
    Visionmaker said:

This sounds good. Though to the OP, no way should Killer be third person. You wouldn’t be able to hide at all as Survivor.

Of course you would be able to hide, plus the killer can only be at place at a time, it doesn't have to be as wide an FOV as it is currently for the survivors. Furthermore, as a killer the player would tend to focus on the character that is being targeted, thus not paying as much attention to the other survivors. It could also be made so as soon the the killer is on the move, the FOV narrows, and widens after a very short delay when standing still.

In the OP I didn't mention anything about the specifics in regards to if the 1st and 3rd person perspectives were switched, but I certainly do think they would need to tweak it for both sides. But it is unreasonable that survivors has 3rd person perspective when they're actually outnumbering the killer, plus it ruins immersion for the survivors.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

I don't agree with survivors having first person perspective.

The game is not balanced around that. Chasing is the main part of the game and most of the maps are not suitable for hiding. Killers are always behind the survivors so they don't need to look behind while survivors have to look behind in order to see the killer and if they can't, it will make mind games a lot easier for the killer. Yes, game is unbalanced in favor of the survivors but not that much I think. Imagine survivors not being able to look behind to avoid hatchets or chainsaws.

Killers should be able to choose first person and third person though.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

I love starring deeply into low resolution generator parts for several minutes at a time!

• Incarnate
    edited September 2018

@Delfador said:
    I don't agree with survivors having first person perspective.

The game is not balanced around that. Chasing is the main part of the game and most of the maps are not suitable for hiding. Killers are always behind the survivors so they don't need to look behind while survivors have to look behind in order to see the killer and if they can't, it will make mind games a lot easier for the killer. Yes, game is unbalanced in favor of the survivors but not that much I think. Imagine survivors not being able to look behind to avoid hatchets or chainsaws.

Killers should be able to choose first person and third person though.

The game is not balanced, I agree.

Maybe a lot of maps aren't suitable for hiding, but in that case, it's on BHVR, because survivors should be able to have good places hide, which I think they already do - of course there could be more. Not having 3rd person forces a survivor to play a lot different. They definitely would have to implement a way to peek out from edges and corners.

In regards to be able to avoid hatches and chainsaws, I think that would come with experience just as it does now, because you can still hear when a hatchet, chainsaw or even just a basic melee attack is incoming. And it's not like you won't know if the chainsaw is incoming or very close to you.

I can understand why people would be on the fence in regards to having it switched, but I do think this has to do with people having gotten too used to that way of playing, in my opinion it should never have been this way in the first place. Players will adapt to it, I'm sure of it, because they always adapt. Had it been 1st person perspective to begin with, people wouldn't have been complaining, they would just've been playing the game.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

Both should play 1st person IMO, this ist he only way how a real horror game can work.
    never gonna happen though, devs even are scared of changing SC after the review bombs :wink:

• Grey87
    Grey87 Member Posts: 346
    edited September 2018

Lol
    I don't see the point in reading anything past the 1st sentence. He obviously doesn't get what's he talking about.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

@Master said:
    Both should play 1st person IMO, this ist he only way how a real horror game can work.
    never gonna happen though, devs even are scared of changing SC after the review bombs :wink:

I think they said they just wanted to make all healing longer in general. There's plenty of addons and perks that counter healing.

• Global
    Global Member Posts: 770

@SenzuDuck said:
    You know people are bonkers when they think this game would ever work if both perspectives were in 1st person, or they were switched.

How would you ever counter Myers if you can't peek corners.
    How would you counter huntress if you can't dodge hatchets.
    How would you counter billy if you can't look behind you.
    How would you counter clown if you can't see where his bottles are thrown.
    How would you counter hag if you can't look around for traps.
    How would you counter nurse if you can't try and predict where shes aiming.
    How would you counter trapper if you can't look around for his traps.
    How would you counter wraith if you can't predict which side of the wall he's going to charge at.

How fun would it be to stare at a generator while you're doing it.
    How fun would it be to stare in front of you on the hook and not look around to see if you're being rescued so you can prepare.
    How would would it be to heal a survivor and stare straight into their back not knowing if a killer is coming
    How fun would it be to be hit by a killer and get that speed burst without being able to control it properly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    A list of things that people who support this idea will think don't matter because it makes the game easier for them.

I certainly wouldn't want to play Myers and pull everyone off a gen as they don't have a fair chance.
    I certainly wouldn't want to hit every hatchet I throw because the survivors don't have a fair chance.

You get the picture.

You counter them the same way you do know...with decisive, sprint burst, and looping. But in all seriousness though if everything was in 1st person there would be alot less survivor nerfs than what they are making because they would actually need there perks as survivoring would be actually hard.

• Seanzu
    edited September 2018

@Global said:

@SenzuDuck said:
    You know people are bonkers when they think this game would ever work if both perspectives were in 1st person, or they were switched.

How would you counter wraith if you can't predict which side of the wall he's going to charge at.

How fun would it be to stare in front of you on the hook and not look around to see if you're being rescued so you can prepare.
    How would would it be to heal a survivor and stare straight into their back not knowing if a killer is coming
    How fun would it be to be hit by a killer and get that speed burst without being able to control it properly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    A list of things that people who support this idea will think don't matter because it makes the game easier for them.

I certainly wouldn't want to play Myers and pull everyone off a gen as they don't have a fair chance.
    I certainly wouldn't want to hit every hatchet I throw because the survivors don't have a fair chance.

You get the picture.

You counter them the same way you do know...with decisive, sprint burst, and looping. But in all seriousness though if everything was in 1st person there would be alot less survivor nerfs than what they are making because they would actually need there perks as survivoring would be actually hard.

DS - Getting Nerfed
    Sprint Burst - Nerfed (and all exhaustion perks)
    Looping - Can't loop if you can't see the killer.

Whether you like it or not looping is integral to the game, without looping survivors are forced to run in straight lines and be downed within 10 seconds.

DS doesn't counter being pulled off a gen at all, sprint burst doesn't counter anything if you can't see it coming.

Looping doesn't counter not being able to see sweet heck all mate.
    At what point do you just say "Maybe I'm just not very good at this game" and stop asking for nerfs that are entirely game breaking.

Can you imagine thinking DS, Sprint Burst & Looping counter not being able to see anything, hilarious.

• Global

@SenzuDuck said:

@Global said:

@SenzuDuck said:

You get the picture.

DS - Getting Nerfed

Whether you like it or not looping is integral to the game, without looping survivors are forced to run in straight lines and be downed within 10 seconds.

DS doesn't counter being pulled off a gen at all, sprint burst doesn't counter anything if you can't see it coming.

Can you imagine thinking DS, Sprint Burst & Looping counter not being able to see anything, hilarious.

DS doesnt require seeing someone at all and i said DS wouldnt be nerfed because surviving would actually be hard. Killers cant see anything either they have an FOV of 87 and its hard to see with a flashlight in your face.

• Seanzu

@Global said:

@SenzuDuck said:

@Global said:

@SenzuDuck said:

You get the picture.

DS - Getting Nerfed

DS doesnt require seeing someone at all and i said DS wouldnt be nerfed because surviving would actually be hard. Killers cant see anything either they have an FOV of 87 and its hard to see with a flashlight in your face.

Oh dear, not everyone runs dstrike, as much as you want this to be true so you can complain to kingdom come it just isn't true.

Surviving is very easy without DS, you know what else is very easy? Killing people, you know what's even easier? Killing people who can't see where they're going.

Want to know why killers see in first person? because they kill people, they don't have to be stealthy, they go where ever they want when ever they want and kill people, put them on hooks and either camp or find someone else, if killers saw in third person no one would be able to hide, and you know what that means, he killers that complain about survivors not juking wouldn't have a leg to stand on because how can you juke when the killer has a 360 degree view at all times.

and again, AS MUCH AS YOU WANT IT TO BE TRUE not every survivor runs a flashlight and constantly uses it.

• Incarnate

@SenzuDuck said:

It would work, but it would need some adjustments, and people would have to play differently and more cautiosly. People usually adapt!

@SenzuDuck said:

You could, but it would be crude, it's called sidestepping. Though it's one of the adjustments I think would be necessary, implementing being able to actually peek corners and edges without having expose yourself fully through sidestepping.

@SenzuDuck said:

That would be through listening, you can hear when they're incoming, secondly as noted above, people would play differently because they would need to. Furthermore, you could actually face her head on if she's winding up to throw, and dodge when she throws it. You can still dodge it even with your back turned, because you can still hear it. Besides, they could even make perks around this sort of thing, so if the were an incoming attack to one side you'd see something flashing from that side.

@SenzuDuck said:

As with the Huntress, you can hear when he's incoming with his revved chainsaw, and the closer he gets the more sure you will be that he's targetting you.

@SenzuDuck said:

Just because you're in first person doesn't mean you suddenly can't see you know, it means you just have to face the direction you want to look.

@SenzuDuck said:

Again, 1st person perspective doesn't make you blind, you can still see, and I'd say you'd have a much better chance of spotting them when look in their direction as your view is more focused and up close.

@SenzuDuck said:

You can, but you have to face her to do so, or try to mindgame her, thats still absolutely possible even with your vision limited to 1st person perspective.

@SenzuDuck said:

As with hag and her traps, you can certainly look for his traps, and you'd be more likely to find them up close as your vision is more focused and up close!

@SenzuDuck said:

Why shouldn't you be able to predict just because your perspective is in first person?

@SenzuDuck said:

Here they should be doing an adjustment, so that you can look around, but still first person perspective.

@SenzuDuck said:

You can still look around, part of this would also keep you on edge, because you don't know what is going on!

@SenzuDuck said:

Why should you know if the killer is coming? And as with the generator question, you should still be able to look around in first person perspective.

@SenzuDuck said:

Why wouldn't you be able to control it just because your vision is now 1st person perspective?

It seems you're attributing way too many negatives to this without actually considering that people would actually be forced to play differently. Compare it to other first person games - you're forced to play based on what you can see and what you know.

But as pointed out by @Master, that it should be in first person perspective for both sides, although I think that it's worth considering that the killer has an option to use third person perspective when standing still, with a more limited FOV, as it 4 v 1, and is being empowered by the entity.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

@Global said:

@SenzuDuck said:

@Global said:

@SenzuDuck said:

You get the picture.

DS - Getting Nerfed

Killers are able to see in front of themselves which they need to.

Survivors need to be able to see behind in order to avoid the killer. Survivors need to be able to see their environment in order to lead the chase to somewhere else. This is why they need 3rd person view.

Killers on the other hand will always follow survivors.

There is a massive difference between them.

People should give up being killer or survivor main in this forum and try to be more reasonable. I don't say giving killers 3rd person view will break the game but if you give survivors 1st person view, it will kill the game easily.

It is not gonna happen If the devs don't want to gut their game.

• Global

@Delfador said:

@Global said:

@SenzuDuck said:

@Global said:

@SenzuDuck said:

You get the picture.

DS - Getting Nerfed

Survivors need to be able to see behind in order to avoid the killer. Survivors need to be able to see their environment in order to lead the chase to somewhere else. This is why they need 3rd person view.

People should give up being killer or survivor main in this forum and try to be more reasonable. I don't say giving killers 3rd person view will break the game but if you give survivors 1st person view, it will kill the game easily.

Im not a main i play both sides even tho survivor is just boring pressing m1 in one place but even then its painfully obvious that survivors control the match.

• Incarnate
    edited September 2018

@SenzuDuck said:
    if killers saw in third person no one would be able to hide, and you know what that means, he killers that complain about survivors not juking wouldn't have a leg to stand on because how can you juke when the killer has a 360 degree view at all times.

Who says it's going to be completely as it would be with the survivors 3rd person perspective, it could have a limited FOV - like being more narrow when moving, even more narrow in a chase, but more wide when standing still.

• kone19
    kone19 Member Posts: 72
    The devs tried that first and it was completely unbalanced and didn’t let the survivors hide
  • Seanzu

@Incarnate said:

@SenzuDuck said:
    if killers saw in third person no one would be able to hide, and you know what that means, he killers that complain about survivors not juking wouldn't have a leg to stand on because how can you juke when the killer has a 360 degree view at all times.

Who says it's going to be completely as it would be with the survivors 3rd person perspective, it could have a limited FOV - like being more narrow when moving, even more narrow in a chase, but more wide when standing still.

You clearly have no idea my friend - do you know how absolutely disorientating and puke inducing it would be to constantly change fov while playing the game?

Not to mention anyone with motion sickness can now not play this game. I know people that can't play nurse because of what happens when shes blinking and you want this to happen on the constant? Jeeeeeze dude.

• Incarnate

@Delfador said:

Actually, they don't need to be able to see the killer to avoid the killer through 3rd person perspective, they just need to play differently. Even with 1st person perspective, they could easily lead the chase somewhere else.

• Seanzu

@Global said:

@Delfador said:

@Global said:

@SenzuDuck said:

@Global said:

@SenzuDuck said:

You get the picture.

DS - Getting Nerfed

Im not a main i play both sides even tho survivor is just boring pressing m1 in one place but even then its painfully obvious that survivors control the match.

Thanks for disputing my points, sir.
    I think both sides are pretty easy if you put the effort into it, people want to be good with every killer but that means sharing your time and you wont be incredible with EVERY killer it just doesn't happen. I find people often play really well with one killer and then play with someone they aren't familiar with and blame it on mechanics or the survivors are "toxic".

• Seanzu

@Incarnate said:

@Delfador said:

Actually, they don't need to be able to see the killer to avoid the killer through 3rd person perspective, they just need to play differently. Even with 1st person perspective, they could easily lead the chase somewhere else.

You know when you get thos hay bails that are close to each other, and you're inbetween them, if the survivor is in first person how do they see anything? They'd be staring straight into the wall of the hay bail.

Not to mention pallets are all based on timing, you can't predict anything as a survivor in first person.

• Incarnate
    edited September 2018

@SenzuDuck said:
    You clearly have no idea my friend - do you know how absolutely disorientating and puke inducing it would be to constantly change fov while playing the game?

Not to mention anyone with motion sickness can now not play this game. I know people that can't play nurse because of what happens when shes blinking and you want this to happen on the constant? Jeeeeeze dude.

That certainly depends on how fast those changes in FOV happens. But either way, I'm just point out that they can make changes to the FOV so it's more limited, the changing FOV was just a suggestion on how they could change it.

@SenzuDuck said:
    You know when you get thos hay bails that are close to each other, and you're inbetween them, if the survivor is in first person how do they see anything? They'd be staring straight into the wall of the hay bail.

Not to mention pallets are all based on timing, you can't predict anything as a survivor in first person.

Why should you be able to see something you shouldn't? If something blocks your view then you're not supposed to see what it blocks. But again, peeking should be implemented if 1st person perspective is implemented for survivors.

In regards to pallets, why shouldn't you be able to predict when to drop the pallet just because your vision is in first person perspective?

• Seanzu

@Incarnate said:

@SenzuDuck said:

That certainly depends on how fast those changes in FOV happens. But either way, I'm just point out that they can make changes to the FOV so it's more limited, the changing FOV was just a suggestion on how they could change it.

@SenzuDuck said:

Why should you be able to see something you shouldn't? If something blocks your view then you're not supposed to see what it blocks. But again, peeking should be implement.

In regards to pallets, why shouldn't you be able to predict when to drop the pallet just because your vision is in first person perspective?

I really don't think you understand what a fuster cluck this game would be if survivor can't see anything just say it out loud.

Survivor. Cant. See. Anything.
    like theres a reason they're in third person, it's not about "ohh but if they can't see it they shouldn't be able to".

Everyone would run around M&A Scratched mirror myers and no one would win because you cant play against that, peeking doesn't help in a chase, it doesn't help when you're in corridors, it just wouldn't work my dude.

• KiraElijah
    KiraElijah Member Posts: 1,187
    It would be so difficult being nurse
  • Incarnate
    edited September 2018

@SenzuDuck said:
    I really don't think you understand what a fuster cluck this game would be if survivor can't see anything just say it out loud.

Survivor. Cant. See. Anything.
    like theres a reason they're in third person, it's not about "ohh but if they can't see it they shouldn't be able to".

Everyone would run around M&A Scratched mirror myers and no one would win because you cant play against that, peeking doesn't help in a chase, it doesn't help when you're in corridors, it just wouldn't work my dude.

You're making it into something it wouldn't be - they would have to play differently, and adjustments would have to be made, but saying they wouldn't be able to see anything is far from how it actually would be.

What I was saying with that was in relation to if they're in first person perspective and have something that is blocking their view, like a haybale or wall, they're not supposed to be able to see whats on the other side from that position.

I'm not saying peeking would help in those situations, but what I am saying people would adapt to it and find ways to counter it, or through experience be able to predict what the killer might do and then pure and simple outplay the killer. Like I said earlier, you're attributing way too many negatives in relation to how it would actually be. If survivors were having 1st person perspective, then people would play differently, the game would be balanced differently, and it wouldn't suffer from all of those issues with looping, juking and other issues. Bloodlust would probably not even be a necessity either, because juking and looping would be more difficult.

@kone19 said:
    The devs tried that first and it was completely unbalanced and didn’t let the survivors hide

That doesn't mean that it wouldn't work, that just means they should have made some other changes to make it viable, implement some things to alleviate the problems, instead of just completely writing it off. This is a typical thing many new devs do, they test things out very early and quickly discards if it seems to not work instead of trying various things to make it work, or try it at later point, plus also there is the fact that when those things are being tested early on, the devs themselves, including their testers have very, very limited amount of experience with the game, so as such saying it was test and it didn't work - I'd question that, because I'm quite that it could've been made to work without too many things needed.

Post edited by Incarnate on
  • Incarnate

@KiraElijah said:
    It would be so difficult being nurse

Why so? What would make it difficult?

@SenzuDuck said:

Why exactly wouldn't it work? You're going to be a bit more specific than that. I don't think it would be as you say, as there are a lot of things that would change as a result of such a change, including survivors playing more cautiously, survivors paying much more attention, etc.