The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Survivors - Would you give up your second chance perks if...

SpaceCoconut
SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962

You died instantly on a hook, but respawned a short time after and the goal was a little different?

Comments

• rottmeister
    rottmeister Member Posts: 316
    edited May 2020

Ngl, I actually would like that.

It gives survivors a chance to "reset" without having some random person farm you and get you killed. This would also give a solution to camping/tunneling.

I can only speak for myself, but I'd gladly give up perks like DS and BT for a respawn.

But what do you mean with a different goal?

Edit: I can't see it happening though. It'd require a lot of changes in dbd's core, perks and things like that. But my final answer would still be yes.

Post edited by rottmeister on
  • Kakateve
    Kakateve Member Posts: 287

Only if I could call Tommy Jarvis with a phone found in the map and come back as him with a shotgun after I die. Wait....isn’t that sound similar?

• Sydraen
    Sydraen Member Posts: 102

Hide or Die gamer spotted.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

No. And I don't use "second chance" perks.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

That sounds a bit like Last Year The Nightmare.

You definitely have to explain further what your idea is because it's pretty hard to imagine how this system is supposed to work

In my opinion the system should stay like it is and change second chance perks in a way that you have to work for it.

Deliverance is a perfect example of a second chance perk.You risk losing a perk slot if you fail to safely unhook someone before your first hook but gain the advantage to unhook yourself and potentially change the outcome of the match.

That's how second chance perks are supposed to work.High Risk High Reward.

You shouldn't be able to use them just for free (NOED,Unbreakable etc.).

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Saving is a key component of dbd so this is all definitely theoretical, but theoretically I hardly use 'em so you can take 'em.

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259

Yeeeeah I'm not interested in a reiteration of Hide or Die, lol. It looks fun, but I like my DBD as DBD. I also don't see what the problem is with "second chance" perks when you have things like BBQ & Chilli, Insidious Bubba, Blood Warden (literally a second chance perk for killers), Blood Lust, & so on. None of these things bother me (besides that face camping Bubba), but they are hella strong themselves. Each side needs something to work with.

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,119

I would play a Perkless mode, so yes.

Do you mean like you would come back as a ghost, able to help out others in some small way? That sounds awesome! Snare the Killer, block a hit once in a (great) while, etc.

• SpaceCoconut

Hide or Die was in beta several months ago. As far as I know they're still working on it. It was like a last man standing gameplay style though.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni

Since when is BBQ and Insidious Bubba the second chance version for killers???

• cheetocultleader

I wasn't referring to them as second chance, only Blood Warden which I bracketed, but there is also NOED. Anyway, I simply meant they are hella strong perks the killer can use to gain an advantage. Survivors should also be able to have strong perks to work with, or the game gets a lot less interesting for one or both sides.

• Hag.is.Dtier
    Hag.is.Dtier Member Posts: 1,398
  • OniWantsYourMacaroni

Mentioning Insidious Bubba as a strong thing for killers is still a odd choice though.

I agree that second chance perks are more or less needed to make games more interesting,but i think they shouldn't be that easy to use if they are able to change the outcome of a match on their own.

• cheetocultleader

Mmm yeah, it's strong as in there's not much you can do to counter camping. You can take BT & Sprint Burst, hope you get the unhook off & can dodge so you don't hook trade, but if you're not running those, better to do gens. And even if you are, could still go bad. The devs have stated this is a legit strategy though so, not trying to beat a dead horse.

If they were to make it harder for survivors, I'd hope they'd make something like NOED either harder to make activate, or easier to counter. I think I'm in the minority though who is fine with balance as is. Survivors have some strong second chance perks, sure, but killer's have their own very strong perks as well, some second chance if they wish to use it, lots of maps have been made to get easier 3 gens, and so on. I was even worried about the massive dead zones people had been reporting, but after playing a while it's not that bad. Could use some tweaking.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

I'd give up my second chance perks, which for me is really DH, if we could get rid of No Ones Even Dead yet crutch, and killers didn't tunnel and camp.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

It's hilarious how many people are saying "Hide or Die" or "Last year" as if respawning hasn't existed in games since some of the oldest games.

Focusing on the actual suggestion, I agree that it might be kind of nice just so you don't get farmed and tunneled off hook. Like, how is the killer supposed to tunnel somebody off hook if they just get hooked, and then respawn elsewhere? On the other hand I can kind of see the concern of "it would take a lot of changing the fundamentals." It might be a wreck. Though, I'm sure many people wouldn't mind a change in the game. With how many people are constantly whining about really simple things...

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited May 2020

LOL no. Very very very bad idea.

1) Your a killer main, basically asking for a mechanic that makes it so survivor don't have to stop doing gens to save someone. MASSIVE 4head moment.

2) Because I totally trust this game to not spawn me right next to the killer thus negating any benefits and giving them a free chance to STILL tunnel me to death.

3) Going back to number 1, that's going to be boring AF. There is no such thing as altruism, or game awareness. Just sit on a gen all game no need to care about anything else.

4) This would require an entire rework of the game's core mechanics. Everything changes if you do this. Perks, bloodpoints, emblems, game flow, everything. Might as well just ask BHVR to make a new game at this point. It would be a lot faster, easier, and cheaper.

IMHO both Hide or Die and Last Year (along with F13) are very gimmicky based games, meaning there is little to no skill involved and the designs are very generic. It's all just a bunch of silly stuff thrown on top of each other, hobbled together to make a "game". DBD is very skill based and competitive, but it can also be chill and fun.

• EmpireWinner
    EmpireWinner Member Posts: 1,054

No

• rottmeister
    rottmeister Member Posts: 316

You bring up some good points actually.

I think I changed my mind.

I already brought up that for this to work core mechanics, perks etc. would need to change, but I didn't really think about the consequences that would emerge from altruism being gutted like this.

Gens would get done much faster because survivors wouldn't have to worry about their hooked teammate.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,307

For that to work it would pretty much have to involve what would basically be a complete rework of how a match is supposed to go to avoid the situation where the only things any survivor should be doing is either actively get chased or work on a generator. Hooking, saving and all of that is a big part of DBD if you ask me.

And I'm not imaginative enough to think of how such a complete rework would look to be honest 😄

• Orionbash
    Orionbash Member Posts: 765

Ill give up all 2nd chance perks once Freddy finally gets nerfed back into F tier. I don't use them anyway but Freddy needs a ######### nerf or seven.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

The problem: the game is already getting balanced around those perks. Taking them away mid balancing just makes everything messy again and we would need to rework maps and killers again.

The concept would be cool for a second game mode tho.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

I don't even know if the main Perks i use are considered second chance.

Kindred, Iron Will, Self Care, Spine Chill.

If none of those are 2nd chance, then yes.

But i'd honestly have a hard time giving up any of these.

• Fres0c0
    Fres0c0 Member Posts: 115

I don't run second chance perks so no I would not like this

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

sounds like changing the entire game so you don't have to deal with things that can be countered.

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

I'd give up all of them for solid servers and proper hitboxes for everything.

• LALYTHIA
    LALYTHIA Member Posts: 1,656

I would play this version of DBD 2.0

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

I would rather have the perks balanced than removed (I hate when content we pay for is removed. It is why I don't play overwatch anymore). They seem to be just terribly balanced right now, at least for high level play.

As for a different objective, maybe, depends on what it is. You make it so vague... I would say you are comparing it to Hide or Die, since the new gameplay sounds like what you are proposing, but until you get specific, I'm not sure.

• Elk
    Elk Member Posts: 2,267

I need an example of what you mean, sorry. I use Spine Chill, Iron Will, Windows of Opportunity and some random perk so it shouldn't affect me.

• Vetrathene
    Vetrathene Member Posts: 1,425

Oh you mean nerfed down to the level of killers who can't do anything? Usual entitlted survivor mains thinking that the killer needs to be weak so they can bully them, and any killer that is actually strong and makes them work is 'too strong'.

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

Except they're not big problems, they literally only happen as much as they do because of all the perks that let survivors ignore the killer.

I'm not "camping" or "tunneling" when you're running BT and instantly unhook people. Or when the unhooked guy running DS deliberately gets in my face for the next 60 seconds.

What do survivors expect us to do in those situations, just pretend you're not 5 feet away?

99% of the nonsense in this game that people complain about exists because of point-thirsty unsafe hook removals and perks that grant invulnerability when doing so. Anything that would change the paradigm here would be welcome.

• Izo_Quartz
    Izo_Quartz Member Posts: 250

I would gladly give up my second chance perks if i knew for sure that the killer wouldn't tunnel or camp me.

• Ivaldi
    Ivaldi Member Posts: 977

It re-released two days ago.. it was available for early access a while ago but they shut it down and revamped the entire game because it was riddled with bugs.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

I mean you could respawn in a locker and you have 3 chances to escape the locker in your own just like hook mechanics now. Someone has to open the locker for you or the entity consumes you.

No more camping or unsafe rescues unless killer is chasing someone and they stop to rescue you. Then you honestly can't blame the killer.

• SpaceCoconut

I suppose any perk that gives (without the help of another survivor) or removes a health state from survivors in the specific case of this mechanic.

Exposed, Adrenaline, DS, Deliverance, Unbreakable etc.

I don't think it'd work very well, but it was just a thought I decided to share :)

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

i don't use second chance perks but i be ok with it if it was a different game mode.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

This. The hook mechanic is a big part of what makes this game unique and is a central part in the gameplay for both survivors and killers. Changing it to a generic "you ded, now you are somewhere else lol" would not be DbD anymore.