The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

AFK Wraiths farming Iridecent Shards

2»

Comments

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

KEKW

" Did you ever stop to think maybe the killer wants a challenge and not just 3 survivors begging for mercy and trying to initiate a farming game or expecting hatch? "

That sentence alone is just hilarious, did you ever stop to think maybe the survivors want a challenge and not a free escape with barely any points? You basically played yourself, sweetie.

• Seanzu

an afk player doesn't stop anyone from doing anything, you can still save, you can still down, you can still get your kills and stack, a dcing survivor you get none of that.

on the other side, an afk killer you can't get ANY interaction points with the killer, be it stuns, saves, jukes etc.

a survivor DCing is on the same level as a killer AFKing.

Do you have like 2 hours in this game or something? I would bet that 99% of the people in the forums would take a DCing survivor over an AFK wraith because at least the match can be played out.

• Pizza_Dweet
    Pizza_Dweet Member Posts: 68

He payed for the videogame too right?

• GraveHunter
    GraveHunter Member Posts: 328

I think people should be able to play the game how they want it. If someone wants to sit in a corner as a killer doing nothing, fine with me. I take the free points and move on.

I can understand some people don't like it.

I also agree that when someone does that, he should pick a killer that you can farm some points off by running around.

But tbh, how often do you see that kind of killers. I saw 1 in all my playtime as survivor. And that was because the killer just got a bad map and a bad round in general so he just gave up after 2 minutes.

• Sir_Bassington
    Sir_Bassington Member Posts: 229
  • oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,307

AFKing is mentioned under the "unsportsmanlike" reporting category, and there's no further specification that explains when it's okay (if ever) and when it isn't. So if you feel it should be punishable, you're perfectly justified in reporting it properly (in-game + submit a ticket with evidence, I'd assume)

Personally I probably wouldn't be bothered as it's very very rare I ever run into AFK players like that, I'll just escape asap and get a new match. But unless I'm missing something you're not in the wrong whatsoever if you decide to submit a proper report after encountering an AFK player.

• Majora
    Majora Member Posts: 207

The whining and entitlement from survivors gets worse every day.

Just take your free escape and move on, what a sad cringe thread.

• Seanzu

But when killers complain about DCing it isn't entitlement, but this is? The double standard is very obvious on this forums, that's the true "sad cringe".

• Sir_Bassington

whats sad cringe is that I have 550 hours on dbd and 80% of it is on Killer.

• Its_Vigo_Here
    Its_Vigo_Here Member Posts: 118

Howdy killer main and sometimes survivor I have to say this is absolutely deplorable behavior. This guy's a dick, killer should be trying to play the game, there's a little bit of a social contract between the killer and the survivor. The killer needs to Hunt the survivors or there is just no game. Honestly they should probably have a reward for being high rank, maybe a big bundle of blood points at the end of the season based on where you're at, maybe iridescent shards? Hell even a cosmetic would be nice if that's possible. All I know is this, we as a community should not defend AFKing in order to farm. That kills the game not only for the new players but also for the old ones who just can't play. It's not free BP because in the time it took you to do all those shens you could have gotten significantly more blood points! Escaping is not everything, and to some people ranked does matter... I hate how this game punishes people even if they've done nothing wrong. That's the ######### up thing to me!

• starkiller1286
    starkiller1286 Member Posts: 889

If the devs took that attitude cheaters would have a field day.

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608

Imagine defending AFKing. Just report them and move on.

• des7in
    des7in Member Posts: 47

I had a Wraith do this on Sanctum of Wrath once. I found him AFK cloaked in a corner. I heard him, so I knew where to shine my flashlight and I forced him out of cloak and made him chase me. 😂💯

• TheDiz
    TheDiz Member Posts: 243

I personally have never seen the AFK for shards but I have played many games against rank 1-5 survivors as a rank 12 killer which sucks if they are SWF teams with perks that have really good synergy as a team and it's not fun to say the least, so I agree with everyone else. Get the BP and free escape and move on because you won't see it very often.

• KingMyers
    KingMyers Member Posts: 57

Want some cry fries to go with that waaaburger? It takes very little time to get out of a match like that and barely ever happens, move on stop making a big deal over nothing geeze

• Pulvoriser
    Pulvoriser Member Posts: 48

Just because killer AFK doesn't mean you cant play the game, you can still fix the gens break totams and search chests, even basement time, do all that, have the gates almost open and go find the killer and get some more points or take the free win.

• Bigbob
    Bigbob Member Posts: 8

Get the fast bloodpoints and move on. Stop your bitching.

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

So now it's official.

Survivors will whine about literally EVERYTHING a killer does. Even if it's nothing at all. 😆

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

Agreed, then report him for afking and wasting everyone's time lol.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

I agree that it is annoying to sit in queue for a long time and then get an AFK killer.

And I don’t know why people are being so hostile to the OP. Why are you guys bitching at him over the post? You do know that some people actually want interaction with the killer and the fact that only holding M1 on a generator is not fun and not the reason why people play the game. The only reason that people play survivor is the chases with the killer, not fixing generators. Yet people still say “TaKe YoUr FrEe EsCaPe AnD mOvE oN.” Some people are so pretentious.

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171

You know, it'd be nice if people could actually use these threads to discuss the topic; not just repeatedly attack people with different opinions.

Ugh.

Anyway, AFK'ing is reportable. The Wraith in question can be reported, and I should hope OP did so and used the post-game chat dialogue as evidence.

Iridescent Shards and experience points by extension should be based on something besides just how long you're in a game. Not only is it a little silly it leads to situations like this; where people farm them by just standing still as Killer all game.

Aside from this I don't what else there is to discuss here. We can't exactly forcibly disconnect and give time out bans to Killers for standing still too long when:

1.) There are bugs that can trap players inside solid objects while they're playing the game.

2.) It causes the same problem as the issue it's trying to address: namely making a match boring and pointless for Survivors.

There are systems in place to punish the AFK Wraith. Use them and move on.

• HuntressIsMyFavXD
    HuntressIsMyFavXD Member Posts: 132

According to survivor mains, the fun of killers is meaningless so killers have the right to feel likewise

AFKing killers are in general not fun, I know but just take your depip and be done with it. It's just 1 pip, it's not like you got set back to rank 20 from rank 1

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

Queue*

• Megtakeover
    Megtakeover Member Posts: 1

I love how NOBODY answered the oringal question. I do see a lot of "move on's" tho... It's too bad no one is smart enough to answer the question without a dick in their mouth...

Dude I have no idea why they do this. It's annoying and BORING, if you ever get an actual answer, let me know.

• legionIsBackBaby
    legionIsBackBaby Member Posts: 32

I swear these f-ing survivers will complain about everything.

• WheatleybySatellite
    WheatleybySatellite Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2020

Since the question of this thread was "why" and not "what should I do", I'll just go with the former. And I think that's just really a consequence of most if not all multi-player games that have any sort of time or quantity based reward system for something. I remember seeing these sort of arguments, admittedly with less (but certainly not NONE) of this imaginary 'video game racism' between what character class you play, on things like TF2 and OW as well. The argument of some people hating that some people AFK, mess around or do the absolute minimal at the cost of the other players -- and other people arguing that since they paid for the game, they can have their enjoyment in whatever way they please if it isn't actively malicious. And both those examples show that the 'reward' doesn't even have to matter much, since TF2 does (did?) reward on just time whereas OW gives very little reward for doing very little in the game.

I think just some people... collect stuff. Even if it's not in a fun or efficient way. I personally do not enjoy playing with AFK people. I don't even enjoy farming much because I don't like it ranking me forward into categories I am definitely NOT skilled enough to be in. But other people don't mind it, so overall? I guess it's a matter of opinion in regards to the 'why' and if any answer is at all acceptable.

Ultimately, if AFK is indeed reportable, then the game itself does not consider it acceptable regardless of player opinion. Probably because it IS a game and they have to try to desperately balance the approval of different demographics, which almost never will succeed but they will always do their best to accomplish since that's what provides them with a player base and profit.

So I guess the "why" doesn't REALLY matter. I suppose if it really upsets you (which you've already stated it hasn't to any big degree), report them and enough of those may cause action against it. But it's still probably likely you'll meet another one soon with possibly even a different reason as to why THEY do it. My guess? He seems like he enjoys collecting things. He finished the rift so far, perhaps he wants to get shards to get something from the Store, and he might've just had several bad games possibly with or without some toxic commentary in the after-chat where he decided he'd chill some rounds. Yeah, I find a game like that VERY boring too... but at least the gens go fast so I can find someone else to play with.

.... I just kinda feel bad sometimes that I open the gate and leave immediately while other survivours might want to farm around totems or something. At least the timer isn't TOO short for them I hope.

• Sinatyxmas
    Sinatyxmas Member Posts: 72

I know your not the guy who depiped, but what if you did all the gens? With an AFK wraith, you wouldnt get downed, so would you at least safety pip?

• Reborn2020
    Reborn2020 Member Posts: 1,138

Its against rules. Report. I hate it too.

• Jacksansyboy
    Jacksansyboy Member Posts: 174

Who cares about free BP? And with out the killer, you are only getting like 10,000 points or so, which isn't worth it. I play the game to play the game, no one wants to get in and do nothing all game long. Want to see a smash bros tournament where one player just stands there and the other guy pushes him off the edge 3 times? Bloodpoints and rank don't even matter at this point in the game, people don't log on thinking "oh boy, time to farm blood points!" And exclusively play as a farming killer. That's not fun, and it is a 100% waste of time

• Jacksansyboy
    Jacksansyboy Member Posts: 174

You saying that he was part of endgame chat meaning he wasn't even AFK is rough. I had a game with an AFK wraith where he just hid all game, but i decided to actually find him because i found a flashlight in a chest. He was just hiding in the corner of the map next to the gate, and the second i tried burning him out, he ran away. I tried following him, but he was too fast and i lost him in the killer shack. A minute later the last gen pops and he just opens the gate instantly and runs away. Which means that there are people who are actively watching their screen while standing cloaked staring at a wall, like #########!

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

It's probably better than watching the screen while running in circles around an infinite, at least. :D

• Sir_Bassington

Im not sure if i did depip or not, all I know is that I waited arround 10 minutes for a game where nothing happened, and the killer intentionally did it because its "the most efficient way" to get shards, which makes no sense to me, he got 0 BP being cloacked all game, so we know for a fact that hes not farming shards to buy perks from the shrine of secrets. so hes doing it just to collect cosmetics in a game that de doesnt even play. just to have virtual items? yea it doesnt really make sense to me why he would even waste time doing it. I was rank 3 and the others were red/purple rank i think. so I guess we all depiped.

• Engetsuren
    Engetsuren Member Posts: 8

What platform are you on where the queue takes 5 minutes? Other than a SWF queue

• Deadman316
    Deadman316 Member Posts: 578

I have to agree with everyone here that says take the escape, ignore the ranking system and play the next match. They aren't all going to play out like that.

• Tired_Bubba
    Tired_Bubba Member Posts: 21

Now I farm alot im not innocent to this, but I farm with actually moving, hitting people and letting survivors stun me, but why complain about ranking? It's a blessing to stay far away from rank one on either side for me, I'd rather have fun playing killers I like then stick up to the norm with Billy's, iri huntress, nurses, etc

• emptyCups
    emptyCups Member Posts: 1,262

can't complain Bout tunneling the survivors never see you

I never afk but I do for sure hide as wraith and I open the gates myself for points.

I tried hiding as other characters but players would find and tease me and drag the match out for hours.

Even when they never see you for some strange reason they will wait till the last second of egc to leave... I don't get it just take a free escape and leave

• Sir_Bassington

Im on PC EU times, currently rank 2 if that matters (lol). i get instant matches at arround 8 o clock in the after noon until 1 past midnight, but during daytime. like middle of the day, on working days, queue can take between 2 minuttes to 10 minuttes.

• Sir_Bassington

Ive farmed BP with survivors and Killers myself, usually when someone DC or kills themselves early just to be nice. In this case, the killer is a wraith staying cloacked on purpose gaining 0 BP when we all escape.

• Cele
    Cele Member Posts: 63
    edited June 2020

I would like to get better at huntress, billy and nurse. Think I have like 5 games played total as 3 of those killers combined. I suck and do not want to get bullied and insulted game after game as I try to improve. I'm literally rank 20 material with those killers and can take only a few matches or relentless bullying at a time. As there is no easy way to derank, I've tried the afk wraith thing twice. But I do not want to get banned and lose my account where I've spent 150 euros.

What are my options?

Post edited by Cele on
  • Eye66
    Eye66 Member Posts: 822

It's xp for the rift, who cares about shards

• Sir_Bassington

keep playing the game and get better. no point in deranking, it doesnt matter what rank you are.

• Sir_Bassington

why farm XP for the rift when you get guaranteed rank 70 if you just do the archive, there is no rush to the finish line anyway.

This discussion has been closed.