Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

80% of the playerbase are boring

Anara
Anara Member Posts: 1,297

Am I the only one who try non-meta perk, or just one meta perk per builds? Survivor and killer.

Comments

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984

How do you determine whether someone's "boring" or not? I personally enjoy playing against "meta" builds, because it implies that the person using them will pose some kind of challenge.

• Reborn2020
    Reborn2020 Member Posts: 1,138

There s no meta.

• hagling
    hagling Member Posts: 279

you're definitely not the only one, but i know it can feel that way sometimes. I just try to focus on what I can control and hope maybe I'll set an example y'know? I encourage all my friends to play perk roulette with me whenever we swf so the killer can breathe.

• Anara

The games seems all the same.

There are excellent builds and perks I saw on YouTube that I never seen in game.

The youtubers and streamers work hard to find good combo with non meta perk, it inspire me to create mine.

And I was thinking why I don't see those fun and good builds in game?

I don't think the problem is that those perks are garbage, I don't agree at all. There are so many good perks, better than the metas and nobody uses.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

As survivor you only get hit by "legit killer strategies" if you dont run meta perks. So no possibility in running anything besides meta.

• MPUK
    MPUK Member Posts: 357

Does the killer ever breathe though?

My SWF nobody uses obsession perks and we have a lot of games where there are no obsession(I have seen this a lot in solo recently too). Does the killer breathe? Of course not, he tunnels the ######### out of everyone because he knows there is no DS.

• hagling
    hagling Member Posts: 279

there are gonna be throwaway rounds where nobody has fun, that's just to be expected in an asymmetrical game with so many variables and playstyles. but i do think it makes a difference when you specifically choose to enjoy yourself rather than reacting to what a killer may or may not do during the round and that can 100% influence the people you play with and against to rethink their own builds.

sweaty survivors countering sweaty killers just adds to the idea that killers have to sweat or they won't stand a chance, and vice versa. I'm definitely not saying all the scummy people will stop being scummy, but if even just ~some~ people relax and stop playing dbd like it's an e-sport the game will be in a much, much better place for everyone.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

Only way for the meta too change is too add more objectives, and thus change perks too be more effective for certain objectives. It would take a long time for this all to be added, but it would def help with how stale the game can get, especially for survivors since they are all the same.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792
    edited May 2020

Seems more like a failure on the devs' part in creating a wider variety of fun and useful perks for survivors to choose from rather than survivors simply being "boring."

Most new perks are so situational you barely get any use out of them. Like Diversion is a neat concept but it takes FORTY FIVE seconds of being undetected in the killer's TR to activate. Why not make the initial requirement lower and then give it a cooldown? Especially considering there are so many killers who either often have no TR or their TR is tiny so good luck getting one use out of the perk.

• Anara
    edited May 2020

I actually win games without DS BT etc, same thing as killer, I never used noed a single time because I know it's boring af.

But it's boring to see how many people believe you can only win with those perks, it's completely false.

Make your build unique, then the killer can't anticipate any of your moves.

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

People keep talking about "sweaty" players and how people should just let up and be more "fun".

Except that's not "fun" to everyone. Some people think goofing around is fun, some people think that playing to win is fun.

The only problem is that both of these players get put into the same matches routinely. In most games, they'd be separated by rank or social circle fairly quickly.

• Vox_Nocturne
    Vox_Nocturne Member Posts: 545

I tend to randomize all of my perks, add-ons and offerings using a dbd app, which for me keeps me interested, adjusts my play-styles and look for the benefits in all of them. Also acts as a difficulty setting (especially when I get Distressing and Hex:Thrill of the Hunt with The Trapper).

However, for others it may be about being the strongest they can be. It's understandable that games can get boring with the opponent using the same perks, but it's not that they themselves are boring. However, it does make the game a little easier, knowing what perks you're up against.

I'm certain this has been thought of before, but another game option could be to either have a randomizer built in, or a separate game mode which uses randomizer in a separate game mode, that perhaps offers some additional benefits, other than some shards per level?

• Anara

I agreed about different modes, one normal mode and one competitive mode.

But I'm not sure there is enough players.

• Joelwino
    Joelwino Member Posts: 550

With more Legion and Huntress in play Autodidact could actually become meta

• Anara

I wish, I love the concept of this perk, but I don't have it haha

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871

I don't mind the builds people use, so much compared to how they play. If you're teabagging at every pallet, notification spamming, and clicking your flashlight rapidly. Those are the players who are boring.

• Joelwino
    Joelwino Member Posts: 550

It's a lot of fun when it works, but since I prestiged Min I can't find it on my bloodweb anymore T-T

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

You realize most everybody runs meta builds. How you find the same setup time and time again 'enjoyable' is beyond me. I love to see new builds, win or fail, simply because it throws me for a loop when I actually see something new.

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984

I'd rather play against someone running the meta than a potato using 4 random perks who goes down in 10 seconds and doesn't present any challenge. The "enjoyable" aspect of this game is my interaction with the other players. Their perk loadout is a very small contributing factor.

Also, when I want to switch things up, I switch up my own loadout. It's a shame to think that some people here want to force their approach to other players, just because they don't find others' playstyle "fun". Quite disappointing, if you ask me.

• Anara
  • AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

The perks I use piss off a lot of people when they see them listed at the end of a match.

Spine Chill

Urban Evasion

Self Care

Plunderers Instinct.

I know my build is considered "bad" by many but I just don't care. It works for me and the Keys I get from chests as a result of Plunderers helps make up for the overly aggressive players I get matched with.

• Cassandra_Alexandra
    Cassandra_Alexandra Member Posts: 254

This is why I hate being in red ranks. Most red ranks players use meta perks and expect you to use them. They care more about winning than having fun. They take matches too seriously. I like to mix and match and run fun builds. It keeps the game interesting for me. I don’t want to be like a drone. I’ve gotten the most criticized and insulted by red rank survivors. They expect you to play by this unwritten red rank rule if you will and if you don’t then you’re a noob, useless, etc.

• Mdawgu
    Mdawgu Member Posts: 408

Seeing the same Perks over and over will always be a thing. It is fun however to use other perks despite most of them being not great or too Inconsistent.

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259

I'm in the process of leveling survivors (6 to go, woo~!) and I've been experimenting a lot. Unfortunately, with how much camping/tunneling I run into, I half the time bring Borrowed Time and/or Sprint Burst. I just wanna be able to keep the game going and not feel like I'm accidentally hook farming. Now, the other half of the time, you might catch me running a weird sabo build, or a vaulting build, or a head on build, etc. I love experimenting, but I'd like to hit rank 1 at least once before they ex-nay it, so blame those "legit strategies"... that does not feel super strategic in the least.

• badaB00M3R
    badaB00M3R Member Posts: 80

Yeah... I'll stop using BBQ as soon as I no longer need bloodpoints. I can usually guess where the other survivors are without it.

• SoylentPixie
    SoylentPixie Member Posts: 1,192

Unfortunately you could try a number of things to get people to change up the meta, but the dirty truth is that a large chunk of players will always rely on a 'meta', something that has worked time and time again for a large number of the playerbase. That's just how gaming is, in any game you are going to rely on what you know works, and while yes i do agree with you, its very boring, that's how most of us have played games for years. You don't bring a feather duster to a boss fight because the rocket launcher wasn't fun enough....most of the time.

Again, i agree with you, and my own build tends to steer away from the meta because im not much of a fan of hex or exhaustion perks. But if you try getting the die hard meta fans to change it up, you're going to be swimming against a big tide there. Even when you take things away, like the ruin change or the MoM nerf....players find a way to a new meta.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

20% of the playerbase is boosted.

• Dwinchester
    Dwinchester Member Posts: 961

I've tried shaking things up with silly killer builds and most of the time i lose to the gen rush, then get flamed for using bad perks.

About the only one I've had success with is insta down bubba. No one expects haunted grounds and noed on bubba.

• Anara

Yes I think red ranks are a part of the problem.

I'm red rank too, but I want to go back to purple or green rank. But whatever I do I rank up...

• IceCreamPrincess
    IceCreamPrincess Member Posts: 226

A defense for the meta perks, some people find more fun in the actual match interactions, running the killer around, chasing survivors etc. Meta perks just help ensure you stay in the match longer

• Anara

I'm not sure about that. The killer wait for DH, the killer let you on the ground because of DS, etc...

• IceCreamPrincess

Being slugged for DS is preferable to there being no obsession and just being picked up, and its not always as easy as waiting out the dead hard, and thats the perks working at there worst.

After an unhook im more glad im running DS instead of diversion or dance with me thats for sure

• Anara

I think DS is a waste of a perk slot. But play what YOU like!

• pizzamess11
    pizzamess11 Member Posts: 149

My fun comes less from the perks I use and more from how I play the game. If I play the game enough sure I'll probably get bored of them too but I only have maybe 300 hours stretched across 2 years of intermittent playing.

• IceCreamPrincess

Oh exactly, im never one to harass someone for how they play or what there build is, i just enjoy the game. And the times i need the perks i use, im glad i run them. Sometimes i do regret not having the Quick and Quiet/lithe houdini builds, and sometimes im completely justified in running Borrowed time

• Anara

I use quick and quiet and lithe on my Feng, it's a very good build :)

I use iron will and alert on this build, it's very useful if you like to hide near the killer!

• Anara

I use Quick and Quiet and Lithe on my Feng! It's a very good build :)

I use Iron will and Alert too on this build, very useful to hide near the killer!

• Cassandra_Alexandra
    Cassandra_Alexandra Member Posts: 254

Exactly. Same situation here. I seem to have the most enjoyment in green ranks. Right in the middle.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

I run a few different perks on both survivor and killer. I agree that pretty much everyone plays the same character and/or perks.

I use dark sense, plunderers instinct, no one left behind and iron will. I use Jake which is not as common as others also.

• 5thPerkSlot
    5thPerkSlot Member Posts: 395

They only way to have fun is being super toxic. My suggestion is to do sabotage hooks, head on, DS, tbag, pointing at killer, BT, torture hooked survs, bloodwarden, FD and facecamping