Cheesy May So Far?

Hey guys! 😁

I'm sure I'm not the only one out there grinding Trials to unlock the new items in the Rift. I decided to try something new. I wanted to spice things up since I recently hit 2000hrs+ play time. I decided I was going to start loosely tracking my opponent's (Killer's) behavior and/or choices. If I'm being honest, I think I've ruined my Rift grinding experience by keeping track of my Trials.

Here's the "data" collected from 100 Trials between Ranks 1 and 3 (since May 1st). Only one point was given per Trial even if there was overlap, e.g., Memento Mori and Hex: No One Escapes Death used together.

51 Cheesy Build(s), Strategies, or Mori(s)

18 Hex: No One Escapes Death

31 Fair Trial(s)

Escapes: 44

Obviously my conclusions are subjective and biased because it's based on my own personal experience(s). These are just the variables I chose to track. I wanted to keep it simple the first time.

More importantly, have you ever kept track of your Trials? If so, were you surprised, pleased, or disappointed? How is May treating you so far?

Comments

• megansnotcreative
    megansnotcreative Member Posts: 23

I haven’t kept track of my trials, but I think this is a great idea that I’m going to try out June or whenever I get the opportunity

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

Stats are always fun to track and I appreciate you're fully acknowledging these are based purely on your experience and possibly bias. Good to see someone who is doing this for fun and not to try and tear people down.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
    edited May 2020

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Could you elaborate on what you classified as these, please?

Cheesy Build(s), Strategies

• List_of_concerns
    List_of_concerns Member Posts: 182

Sure, I can list a few. I don't want to list them all because this might become a novel very easily. Keep in mind, you don't have to be successful for your strategy to be considered cheesy. Cheesy =/= Pip or 4K (I don't know how you personally measure success).

There's the classic cheese:

Insidious + The Cannibal. Camping + any Perks. (My favorite camping technique, that I've seen, is what I like to call "The Yo-Yo". You leave the hook to about 25m, come right back, repeat. It's typically used to defend a basement hook. It's extra spicy cheese if you're playing a Killer that is immune to Borrowed Time at that range.)

Some extremely common cheeses include:

Nemesis + Play With Your Food + The Cannibal. Infectious Fright + The Nurse, The Hillbilly, or The Oni. (All of the Infectious Fright examples are extra spicy cheese if you combine them with Monitor & Abuse for the extra detection range.) Make Your Choice + Deer Lung + Rotten Green Tripe + The Demogorgon.

Finally, there's the rare cheese reserved only for your "most enjoyable" Trials:

Iridescent Head + Infantry Belt + The Huntress. Red Head's Finger + The Clown. Jigsaw's Sketch + Crate of Gears/Tampered Timer + The Pig.

I think that's enough examples. More often than not, everyone either black pips or depips when these cheesy strategies or builds are used. I don't see the point.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776

Thanks. I'm sure you'll catch some flak for a couple of these, although I understand where you're coming from.

I know you didn't include everything, so this is just one last brief question. Did you include also stacked slowdown builds? Examples Plague/Legion + ruin + thana + corrupt (or dying light, pop, etc.).

• List_of_concerns
    List_of_concerns Member Posts: 182

I'm sure an alarming percentage of folks with disagree with my assessment(s). (I'd have a nice chuckle if that percentage syncs up with the percentage of cheesy matches I've had. It wouldn't prove anything, but it'd sure be a heartwarming coincidence.)

Anyways, to answer your question, I did not include "forever builds" or stacked slowdown builds in my cheese category.

While those builds may be cheesy, they are limited to a small pool of Killers that aren't very popular (in my experience). I don't feel "as cheated" when a match drags on forever versus when it has been cut short due to some snowballing effect that was granted by abusing cheesy strategies.

While we're on the subject, Survivors are perfectly capable of cheesing themselves too. I can't tell you how many times two or more survivors are at a 99% gate, they go back for the last Survivor, and they give the Killer a free pip/double pip instead of accepting the 2+ Escape.

This is unrelated, but I just want to mention that many Killer posts I've seen complain about generator speed/Trial speed. Cheesy strategies snowball victories before four generators are completed (two gens still remain unfinished). Which side has the faster win condition? Obviously, it goes both ways, but all you need to remember as Killer is this little nugget: The other Survivors would rather fly into the Sun than let someone reach the next hook state. They can't all have Borrowed Time, right? 🀣