This game isn't scary even though it's supposed to be a horror game

LittleCoconut
LittleCoconut Member Posts: 11
edited May 2020 in General Discussions

The only time I've been scared of this game was when first I started playing, but I grew out of it really fast. Nowadays the game is more funny than scary, even the chases look comical when the survivor and the killer are looping around a wood plank. I think the first step to make this game scarier would be to change the boring chase music most killers have, it's really not thrilling at all. You could also make the heartbeat music more thrilling. This game has to be scarier since now it really doesn't own up to the PEGI18 age restriction at all. What do you think?

Comments

• LittleCoconut

But DBD could be so much more scarier. You will always feel tense when playing games like Resident Evil, Amnesia or Outlast but DBD loses its scariness way too quickly. It's a bad sign when a horror game is more comical than scary. This game has potential, they should buff the horror side of this game up to make this game if not more scary then just more tense.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,089

"You will always feel tense when playing games like Resident Evil, Amnesia or Outlast but DBD loses its scariness way too quickly."

While I agree that Outlast and Amnesia were scary (btw there will be a new Amnesia later this year, I am hyped), how long were those games? 10 hours each?

Play them 5 times and then tell me they are still scary. This would be 50 hours of DBD. Surely a game will not be scary after playing it for a long time.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited May 2020

I'm pretty sure most of the new players are scared or at least thrilled. But after dozens, or hundreds of hours of exposure the scare factor is inevitably lost. It's not a problem with the game.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

Because we’re immune to the scare factor of the game after thousands of hours of gameplay. It’s not going to be scary after you’ve seen the same thing thousands of times over and over again on repeat.

Things like Myers and Ghostface grabbing off of a gen or a Hag trap can jumpscare you but the game itself won’t be scary anymore after playing it for so long.

All horror games/movies are the exact same way. Are you scared after seeing the same slasher movie 100 times?

• LittleCoconut
    edited May 2020

Well I think music plays a big part in creating the horror atmosphere for a game and DBD could surely improve on that part. Hearing the same chase and heartbeat songs makes the song very bland and loses some scare factor. If every killer had their own kickass horrifying chase songs we would have more variety sonically and perhaps the game would gain some scare factor back. I mean I've felt pretty tense hearing Deathslinger closing in on me since he has his own music and it's much scarier than the basic chase/heartbeat songs.

• Karl_Childers
    Karl_Childers Member Posts: 669

Here’s the thing. DBD is just not comparable as it is a PvP game. You will NEVER feel the same tension knowing that you are going against a human controlled opponent. The feeling you get is more of a competitive nature wanting to beat them, as opposed to feeling afraid of them. It’s just not the same whatsoever as playing one of those games you named by yourself. Buffing killers to make them extremely strong would do absolutely nothing to add horror, all it would do is make nobody want to play survivor. Nobody is interested in playing kill simulator in a multiplayer game and losing over and over.

• Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238

This is why I play scratched mirror Myers.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

DbD was never meant to be a true horror game in my opinion.

The horror aspect in this game is quite small

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

Idc about a scary experience. I want a fun multilayer with horror/brutal aspects

• hagling
    hagling Member Posts: 279

once you're a semi competent survivor you realize you have all the tools you need to face the killer 1v1 for awhile, I think that's why it fades so quickly. jumpscare myers and rusty shackles hag and even basekit ghostface can still spook me every now and then, but the objectives just aren't tense enough, and killers aren't imposing enough, to truly maintain that suspense.

I hope they'll consider new features to bring it back somehow, I miss that feeling.

• Schmierbach
    Schmierbach Member Posts: 468

True horror is the sense of dread, hopelessness and exposure to something unknown. Dead by Daylight as a multiplayer game can't really do true horror. The most this game can do is what most horror fans would call "cheap jumpscares" which people grow numb to after a short time.

• Musicalhex
    Musicalhex Member Posts: 55

Idk about you guys but randomly stepping on a trapper trap when you least expect it is scary as hell.

• evilwithinIII
    evilwithinIII Member Posts: 154

This

and 0 terror radius builds on lery's and hawkins are also scary, for example jumpscare myers.

• Shocktober
    Shocktober Member Posts: 678

I think this build is pretty spooky. The knock out is mostly there to scare people, could probably get replaced with something else if you are more tryhard. Make your choice being 32m + 32m wallhacks with the mirror goes so well together, and lets you build up to the devour 3 very quickly.

Then you are 1 shot jumpscare myers, only 2 hits away from murdering everyone, and you can defend the totem super easily with the mirror.

• Demonl3y
    Demonl3y Member Posts: 1,416

Once i walked past a random locker as a killer (there were no gens nearby) when of all sudden a jane with head on jumped out of the locker and stunned me. I played so many horror games but i never had a jumpscare like this.

As a killer i was more scared than the survivors.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Kind of like most horror games. Only scary for new people.

Imagine your 3rd or 4th play through of dead space or alien isolation. You probably wouldn't find them scary qt that point tbh.