The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Leaving Communities in the Dark is NOT a Smart Strategy

Comments

• Zaije
    Zaije Member Posts: 38
    We are not left in the dark. We don't need instant gratification. You should be satisfied knowing that it is being released sometime this week. Do not speak for me.

I like the teasing from the DbD devs. At least they release ######### quickly after being announced, unlike the Warframe devs who announce ######### a year ahead of release and the final product winds up not being able to live up to the hype.
    Can you link to where it was stated it would be this week? 
  • SoulKey
    SoulKey Member Posts: 338

They haven't given any hints that it would be today, this was just a speculation spread by the community and they don't have to respond to every single one of those. And their strategy actually worked well, there are so many posts about when next DLC will be released and that creates ever more hype.

Yes you may have been wanting it today, even me as well but that doesn't justify being "angry" at them.

• BigBadPiggy
    BigBadPiggy Member Posts: 678
    edited September 2018

@SoulKey said:
    They haven't given any hints that it would be today, this was just a speculation spread by the community and they don't have to respond to every single one of those. And their strategy actually worked well, there are so many posts about when next DLC will be released and that creates ever more hype.

Yes you may have been wanting it today, even me as well but that doesn't justify being "angry" at them.

In the original post I NEVER said anything about it being released today. The post was about how they keep the release date of a damn chapter locked in a safe in a vault. Why does it need to be such a massive secret.

• Chiaki16
    Chiaki16 Member Posts: 17

The whole situation with this dlc is unprofessional at best and disrespectful to your community at worst. I get "hyping up" a game or dlc, but letting a false release date sit for 2 weeks and then beating around the bush with an actual announcement is just bad PR.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@Chiaki16 said:
    The whole situation with this dlc is unprofessional at best and disrespectful to your community at worst. I get "hyping up" a game or dlc, but letting a false release date sit for 2 weeks and then beating around the bush with an actual announcement is just bad PR.

There was no false release date. There was speculation and nothing more.

• BigBadPiggy

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

The false release date was mentioned on the wiki I think, and people thought it was real.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

I don't see the issue with them not giving a release date when they don't have a release date.

• Chiaki16

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

There was a date posted on the dbd wiki for 2 weeks. This date was based upon the schedule for clown. A company letting that sit there for 2 weeks and not giving us at least a release date today is "unprofessional at best and disrespectful to your community at worst".

• Incarnate
    Incarnate Member Posts: 677

Consider the possibility - they don't know themselves!

• Grey87
    Grey87 Member Posts: 346

It's actually very smart if you think about it.

• Grey87
    Grey87 Member Posts: 346
    edited September 2018

Also , Piggy , do you post ONLY whining threads or do you actually post something positive sometimes? :dizzy: All I see is crying about anything you don't like.

• Orion

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

There was a date posted on the dbd wiki for 2 weeks. This date was based upon the schedule for clown. A company letting that sit there for 2 weeks and not giving us at least a release date today is "unprofessional at best and disrespectful to your community at worst".

The wiki is not run by the devs, and it was made very clear that it was speculative.

• BigBadPiggy

@Grey87 said:
    Also , Piggy , do you post ONLY whining threads or do you actually post something positive sometimes? :dizzy: All I see is crying about anything you don't like.

I have a few positive posts, It's just that there is more negative stuff that I would like to speak my mind on. When something more positive shows up i'll make a post about that.

• TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052
    Zaije said:
    We are not left in the dark. We don't need instant gratification. You should be satisfied knowing that it is being released sometime this week. Do not speak for me.

I like the teasing from the DbD devs. At least they release ######### quickly after being announced, unlike the Warframe devs who announce ######### a year ahead of release and the final product winds up not being able to live up to the hype.
    Can you link to where it was stated it would be this week? 
    Ok, "It is extremely unlikely to be later than this week."
  • BigBadPiggy

Amazing how you can get all this attention from making a post wondering why the devs are so secretive.

• Chiaki16

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

The wiki is not run by the devs, and it was made very clear that it was speculative.

And I was very clear, leaving up a false date on the wiki without a plan to give a date was (say it with me) "unprofessional at best and disrespectful to your community at worst". Bonus points for having their community manager flaunting around the forums saying "soon" to all the hype posts. Maybe she isn't supposed to give us information, but then why is she increasing expectations?

Imagine if they had just said a week ago (or shoot, even 5-6 hours ago) that they have no release date yet, they would've avoided this mess.

• Orion
    edited September 2018

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

And I was very clear, leaving up a false date on the wiki without a plan to give a date was (say it with me) "unprofessional at best and disrespectful to your community at worst". Bonus points for having their community manager flaunting around the forums saying "soon" to all the hype posts. Maybe she isn't supposed to give us information, but then why is she increasing expectations?

Imagine if they had just said a week ago (or shoot, even 5-6 hours ago) that they have no release date yet, they would've avoided this mess.

None of the devs left a false date on the wiki because they have no control over it. Furthermore, the date was explicitly said to be speculative. You have based your argument on two faulty premises.

• TheHourMan
    edited September 2018
    Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

They very likely DO have a release date and DID have a release date back then, but have not publicly stated it. And the devs have no authority over the wiki. They have no power to take it down and if they confirmed or denied the speculation, that would be more unprofessional than simply not engaging. We should be smart enough to know the difference between official statements and rumors. Your anger at this is disproportionate to the actual situation. It's nowhere near bad enough to be called a "mess."
  • BigBadPiggy

@MandyTalk Could you please close this disscussion? I think It's gone on for long enough.

• Chiaki16

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

None of the devs left a false date on the wiki because they have no control over it. You have based your argument on a faulty premise.

You run a game company and have an upcoming dlc that you know many people are excited for. You see a false release date based on your previous releases pop up on the wiki for your game and decide to NOT correct that date in any way. All the negative emotions that stem from that are directly on the devs, they allowed people to be misled when a small "release date TBA" would've stopped this entire situation. Just because they didn't put the date there doesn't mean their negligence in correcting the date was an "okay" way to handle the ordeal.

• Orion

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

None of the devs left a false date on the wiki because they have no control over it. You have based your argument on a faulty premise.

You run a game company and have an upcoming dlc that you know many people are excited for. You see a false release date based on your previous releases pop up on the wiki for your game and decide to NOT correct that date in any way. All the negative emotions that stem from that are directly on the devs, they allowed people to be misled when a small "release date TBA" would've stopped this entire situation. Just because they didn't put the date there doesn't mean their negligence in correcting the date was an "okay" way to handle the ordeal.

They allowed nothing. You assumed a fansite's information was an official statement from the developers - despite the fact that the fansite made it very clear the information was speculative - and are now looking for someone to blame other than yourself. You and only you are to blame for your false assumption.

• BigBadPiggy

@not_Queen said:
    The Gamepedia Wiki is a fan site managed by passionate individuals but is not part of our official announcement channels.

Is there any way you could close this discussion? I think It's gone too far from the original topic.

• Chiaki16

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

They allowed nothing. You assumed a fansite's information was an official statement from the developers - despite the fact that the fansite made it very clear the information was speculative - and are now looking for someone to blame other than yourself. You and only you are to blame for your false assumption.

Careful with the fallacies there, I assumed nothing. I knew the date was speculative, but that doesn't change the fact that it was based on release patterns and left up without any plan to correct the information. To be honest I don't even know why they are letting this happen, it is killing their hype and is going to easily lose them sales.

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320

@BigBadPiggy said:
    The devs think that leaving us in the dark is a "good" strategy to build up hype, It's not. In your attempts to build up hype by being quiet, and saying crap like "Soon" only ends up leaving the community EXTREMELY annoyed. Knowing what the devs have done in the past "Soon" could be a week from now.

Saying something like "Maybe it'll be this week" will build up more hype for people. It'll be more helpful than what not_Queen has done by further annoying us with "Soon™". Soon could be tomorrow, soon could be next week, hell maybe even next month. Be a bit more specific and it will build up more hype.

@BigBadPiggy said:
    Amazing how you can get all this attention from making a post wondering why the devs are so secretive.

Your post just isn't about them being secretive but about how annoyed you are, and then being condescending, because your annoyed.

When YOU create a company and develop your own games, then you make up your own "strategies".

You got all the attention because your post is horseshit.

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

Careful with the fallacies there, I assumed nothing. I knew the date was speculative, but that doesn't change the fact that it was based on release patterns and left up without any plan to correct the information. To be honest I don't even know why they are letting this happen, it is killing their hype and is going to easily lose them sales.

"Left up" without any plan to correct the information. Correct to what if no further information is available? There was a fat, red "not confirmed" right after the date. If people can't be bothered to read, it's their fault.

The devs are not at fault in this case, solely the community who can't read.

• Chiaki16

@DocOctober said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

"Left up" without any plan to correct the information. Correct to what if no further information is available? There was a fat, red "not confirmed" right after the date. If people can't be bothered to read, it's their fault.

The "not confirmed" was added a few days ago, and was solely added as a "cover my butt" move from a FANSITE. If a fansite is doing damage control then you would think the company in question would have some sort of plan to avert people from thinking it was today.

• Chiaki16

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

So you knew it was speculative and still claim the devs are at fault for your acceptance of speculation? I'm going to ignore you now lest I say something that gets me banned.

You are apparently slow, since you still are adding in a straw man. I will now use capitalization to make my points clearer. I DID NOT accept any speculation, BUT I understand that a company that DOES NOT address a release date that is based on past releases IS being irresponsible to their community. This DOES NOT affect me, I WAS NOT buying the DLC today. I DO NOT care when it is released. I DO care that they were unprofessional, because I DO LITERALLY support them with money and I DO NOT want to support a company that disrespects their consumers.

• Tizzle
    Tizzle Member Posts: 696

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

So you knew it was speculative and still claim the devs are at fault for your acceptance of speculation? I'm going to ignore you now lest I say something that gets me banned.

Apparently the roadmap is pure speculation...

Most are upset because for some odd reason BHVR just cannot fathom it appropriate to communicate with their community about releases.

It's mind boggling.

• Chiaki16

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@DocOctober said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

The "not confirmed" was added a few days ago, and was solely added as a "cover my butt" move from a FANSITE. If a fansite is doing damage control then you would think the company in question would have some sort of plan to avert people from thinking it was today.

They did have a plan. Unfortunately, it relied on people understanding the difference between a rumor and an official statement. In short, it relied on people being somewhat intelligent. That's where the plan fell apart.

A plan that involves "everyone needs to assume that we will have no pattern to our releases and will not address any sort of release date" is a really ######### plan. I wonder if you can actually find another company that has such a lackadaisical approach to such a large money making event like a dlc release.

• TheHourMan
    Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

You are apparently slow, since you still are adding in a straw man. I will now use capitalization to make my points clearer. I DID NOT accept any speculation, BUT I understand that a company that DOES NOT address a release date that is based on past releases IS being irresponsible to their community. This DOES NOT affect me, I WAS NOT buying the DLC today. I DO NOT care when it is released. I DO care that they were unprofessional, because I DO LITERALLY support them with money and I DO NOT want to support a company that disrespects their consumers.

It was unprofessional in your opinion. I disagree. I think it would have been unprofessional for the devs to get involved in a rumor one way or another.
  • Michiko
    Michiko Member Posts: 623
    Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

I would refrain from insulting others as this could lead to being banned. Just a helpful warning.
  • Orion

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@DocOctober said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

They did have a plan. Unfortunately, it relied on people understanding the difference between a rumor and an official statement. In short, it relied on people being somewhat intelligent. That's where the plan fell apart.

A plan that involves "everyone needs to assume that we will have no pattern to our releases and will not address any sort of release date" is a really ######### plan. I wonder if you can actually find another company that has such a lackadaisical approach to such a large money making event like a dlc release.

The plan involved people listening to official statements (roadmap, streams, Twitter) instead of taking speculation as fact. It's your fault.

• TheHourMan
    Tizzle said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

Most are upset because for some odd reason BHVR just cannot fathom it appropriate to communicate with their community about releases.

It's mind boggling.

Where does the roadmap list specific dates again?
  • Orion

@TheHourMan said:
    Where does the roadmap list specific dates again?

It doesn't. People just can't accept the fact that they are to blame for having been wrong; not the devs.

• Chiaki16

@Orion said:

@Tizzle said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

It's mind boggling.

Because when they did and the releases were delayed, they got ######### for it. Now the official release date is "when it's ready", though they do give a specific interval of when it's due for release.

"Because when they did and the releases were delayed, they got ######### for it". Welcome to the world of business, meet deadlines or take the flak. Everyone gets this, they usually handle it by paying someone to be the punching bag. > @Michiko said:

Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

I would refrain from insulting others as this could lead to being banned. Just a helpful warning.

People have different levels of understanding, he is straw manning for multiple posts. If I am banned for saying that he seems to be incapable of understanding after he fails to understand then I would rather stay in other communities to be honest.

• Michiko
    Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Tizzle said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

It's mind boggling.

Because when they did and the releases were delayed, they got ######### for it. Now the official release date is "when it's ready", though they do give a specific interval of when it's due for release.

"Because when they did and the releases were delayed, they got ######### for it". Welcome to the world of business, meet deadlines or take the flak. Everyone gets this, they usually handle it by paying someone to be the punching bag. > @Michiko said:

Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

@Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

People have different levels of understanding, he is straw manning for multiple posts. If I am banned for saying that he seems to be incapable of understanding after he fails to understand then I would rather stay in other communities to be honest.

Just trying to be helpful here thats all.
  • BigBadPiggy

@TheBean said:

@BigBadPiggy said:
    The devs think that leaving us in the dark is a "good" strategy to build up hype, It's not. In your attempts to build up hype by being quiet, and saying crap like "Soon" only ends up leaving the community EXTREMELY annoyed. Knowing what the devs have done in the past "Soon" could be a week from now.

Saying something like "Maybe it'll be this week" will build up more hype for people. It'll be more helpful than what not_Queen has done by further annoying us with "Soon™". Soon could be tomorrow, soon could be next week, hell maybe even next month. Be a bit more specific and it will build up more hype.

@BigBadPiggy said:

Your post just isn't about them being secretive but about how annoyed you are, and then being condescending, because your annoyed.

When YOU create a company and develop your own games, then you make up your own "strategies".

You got all the attention because your post is horseshit.

They have a community that is currently arguing with each other (Just look at the comments here), If THIS is their strategy, it is a very poor strategy.

• Michiko
    Orion said:

@Michiko said:
    Just trying to be helpful here thats all.

If you want to be helpful, you have to get him to admit he's the one at fault. Right now he's gone from claiming not dispelling a rumor is "unprofessional", while simultaneously claiming that hiring someone to be a "punching bag" for the community would've been a good move. He's gone off the logical train.

I don't have to do anything. Everyone has their different prespectives and opinions on this situation & I'm not the type of person who attacks others for having their own thoughts. You guys can waste your time arguing til the death, I'm just gonna sit here and sip my Apple Juice patiently waiting for lovely Rin to be released :) 
  • BigBadPiggy

@Orion said:

The strategy relied on people taking rumors and speculation as just that - rumors and speculation. It failed because people are not rational.

Obviously. UUUUUUUUH I just want this discussion to be closed now.

• Orion

@Michiko said:
    I don't have to do anything. Everyone has their different prespectives and opinions on this situation & I'm not the type of person who attacks others for having their own thoughts. You guys can waste your time arguing til the death, I'm just gonna sit here and sip my Apple Juice patiently waiting for lovely Rin to be released :) 

I said "If you want to be helpful". If you don't want to be helpful, go ahead and drink your apple juice. I'll be drinking my far superior tea.

• Michiko
    Orion said:

@Michiko said:

I said "If you want to be helpful". If you don't want to be helpful, go ahead and drink your apple juice. I'll be drinking my far superior tea.

Well you enjoy that.
  • Orion

@Michiko said:
    Well you enjoy that.

Thanks. You too.

• TheHourMan
    Orion said:

@Michiko said:

Tea ######### sucks. I'll be sitting here enjoying my Bleach