I give up

Options

I just don’t understand how this hasn’t been fixed yet. The game is just unplayable. I can take a ######### game every once in a while but what’s the point in playing if this is how every game is?

Comments

• domai36
    domai36 Member Posts: 89
    edited May 2020
    Options

I can relate I really can. I'm in an especially bad spot right now, where I am close to hitting Rank 1 as surv, so I am super sweaty right now and every game takes all of my effort (I normally just chill out and play around as surv), or I play killer around your rank and have the same problem you have. It has been especially bad lately - I am facing so many red ranks and swfs - I feel sort of trapped in the corner:

Play survivor and tryhard, something I don't enjoyed doing as survivor, at least not every game

Play killer and get stomped by a SWF or red team most of the time

Neither is particuarily appealing to me. I'm just hanging on right now until the next killer comes out (and MM fixes, come on baby!)

• NinjaDette1
    NinjaDette1 Member Posts: 1,289
    edited May 2020
    Options
  • domai36
    domai36 Member Posts: 89
    Options

It sounded to me like they were going to introduce an MMR system instead, which should more accuately reflect skill over a long period of time. People will still complain about similar things however because it's DBD and it's probably always going to be spotty with MM - with that I will agree with you on.

• SilentWraith306
    SilentWraith306 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Thanks for the link, but if I read it right that’s from January 27th? Almost four months is a very long time to have this bad of a matchmaking system. Is there a time frame for when this might be implemented?

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

Yeah, it has been quite a while, but they're definitely still working on it. Last we heard, they're at the live-testing stage, which I think is close to the end, so if all goes well hopefully it will be ready to implement soon.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,685
    Options
  • boboca
    boboca Member Posts: 78
    Options

you deserved tbh. noed + franklins

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480
    Options

Rank honestly doesn't have any impact on the game. It's all about your experience and skill. The picture shown above isn't even close to the worst match you could have gotten...

• Feiten
    Feiten Member Posts: 204
    edited May 2020
    Options

Why not add a bot mode to the game. Hear me out.

A bot mode where players can use any perk any killer and practice on bots for no blood points. At least this gives some idea on how to use a killers ability and learn the different maps and pallet spawns. This infact reduces rank skill and also reduces the slag of post about matchmaking.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480
    Options

Then it's on the person who doesn't rank up as much to improve. That doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with the system. I'm not even trying to defend the matchmaking, but look at the rank difference there. I'm about the same rank as killer as of right now and I go against teams like that all the time and do fine. My rank doesn't hold me back from still doing well in a game, it's all about what happens in the moment, during the game. That's what determines a win usually. And yes, while I'm not saying "git good" necessarily, I am saying that it's good to go against people who know how to play. Nobody is going to learn anything by playing against potatoes.

I don't mean to discourage somebody and just sound like I'm saying "git good" or whatever, but the reality is, and the devs even have stated this, that ranks aren't indicative of skill, just how much time somebody puts into the game. If people want to ease the pain of going against higher rank players, the best way is to join them and learn how to play against them. It's not meant to be offensive.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,967
    Options

I posted this elsewhere and it seems appropriate here, as well:

I'm rank 17 being put up against red and purple ranks, which isn't a challenge, it's a waste of everyone's time, mine and theirs. I can tell they're bored, some have outright DC'd mid-match, and sometimes they'll actually stop running and start trying to farm, but I just cloak and disappear if they start doing that because whether it's out of pity or desperation for BP I just don't have interest in farming; I'd rather take the small amount of points I've earned and move on. Sorry if they depip, but that's on the matchmaking.

Yeah, I've gotten past the "this is unfair" stage and moved on to indifference. Sure, it'd be nice if this got fixed in the near future, but until then I think the survivors I'm put up against suffer more than I do, because I can't depip. It really sucks for killers who can still depip, though, because it just feels like a punishment since you can depip all the way back to yellow ranks and still get put up against the same survivors who are causing you to depip in the first place.

Each time rank resets I'm curious to see if it'll change the ranks I'm put up against, but even as my rank goes backward the ranks I'm put up against have gone from greens and purples to purples and reds, the disparity only getting worse rather than better. I used to sometimes get messages about how the survivor waited 30 minutes for that "boring [BAD WORD] match," like that's my fault. Now I have messages turned off, so I'm hoping that since the survivors can't direct their anger at me they'll instead direct their anger at how boring the match was at the devs.

• profrog
    profrog Member Posts: 20
    Options

I would love a bot mode so survs in ranked don't see me slam into trees when trying to learn billy. I can see how that would be hard to implement though.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396
    edited May 2020
    Options

That's how I felt playing Killer. It's like you feel helpless once 3 gens pop and you've only hooked one or two people. When I am in the mood to play Killer now, I pick Trapper with the add-on that causes Survivors to get injured if they disarm them. Even Swf, with their multiple instant flashlights, struggle with them. It's glorious. I just wish Trapper would have 2 or 3 traps as base.

Hag can be fun too, especially with Make Your Choice.

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882
    Options

No DS, one borrowed time, and 2 survivors had no exhaustion perks. I get the frustration due to the balancing, but it could have been a worse experience for you.

Experiment with more perks. The perks you used weren't very good to me. Ruin can get cleansed in a matter of seconds, NOED doesn't activate until the end game, and Franklin's wasn't worth bringing. All you had was BBQ, which only helps you locate survivors whenever you hook someone.

Also, if you can save the footage of your matches I suggest you save them to watch later and analyze what you could have done better. You can't tell your mistakes in game, but you can definitely notice them when you're spectating your own gameplay.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

Try gimmicky builds 😂....

like rancor roulette

rancor + furtive chase + nemesis and whatever else...It's surprising to see survivor's behavior change in the match because they don't want to end up the lucky rancor winner. I had instances where survivors are hesitant to finish the last gen. I've had survivors die in exchange for the potential rancor to escape.

Also, try to readjust your goals. I'm a thirsty ######### for bloodpoints, not really concerned with rank at the moment.

Now is the time to try new killers and new builds.

i also recommend playing haggie... a lot of ppl don't know how to play againsr her...

• Cixon
    Cixon Member Posts: 133
    Options

matchmaking is a joke for dead by unbalanced.

• Dwinchester
    Dwinchester Member Posts: 961
    Options

Oh that's exactly what they're doing, heck it's what they're doing now. Ping, wait time, and fairness in that order. Mmr will do nothing except hide the rankings.

There aren't enough red rank killers, so it's either 20 minute waits for survivors, or they move on down the list and since we all know who their favorite player base is, we know that killer will get the short end of the stick yet again.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,216
    Options

First of, i would deny that the "conspiracy Theory" has no basis. The basis is the experience the player base have with claims of the devs and the result of changes made, which not always line up.

However, there is something in your post i dont understand, maybe you can explain it to me. The new MMR system will reflect the player skill more accurate. Shouldn´t that result in people of equal skill being matched with each other? If not, how is the MMR more accurate? If it does, why do we need rewards and punishments for different skill levels? To me, it seems like a contradiction.

• Martesa55
    Martesa55 Member Posts: 208
    edited May 2020
    Options

and not only that you play with much bigger ranks they t bagg you and say gg ez🙄. The reason I dont want to play as killer

• Fibijean
    Options

I can recall very few, if any, times when the developers promised something and then went back on their word. I can recall quite a few times when players projected certain expectations onto the devs and were later disappointed, but that's another matter entirely. The devs gain literally nothing in the long term by telling us that they're developing something that they're not. Even if players can't see the ranks, bad matchmaking will be evident to any player with basic observational skills. It will still be unfun, and if games aren't fun, people stop playing them, so it's in the devs' best interests to fix a problem like that, and they know it. They may make mistakes, but they're not stupid - they wouldn't be this successful if they were. So there may be an emotional basis for believing something like that, but it holds very little water from a purely rational standpoint.

To answer your question, the current ranking system is not a good estimate of player skill. Two players who are both rank 3 could very easily have wildly different skill levels. The MMR system aims to change that, such that players who share the same, or similar, MMR will be of around the same skill level. This is a separate issue to that of matchmaking, it's just about the relationship between rank and skill.

At that point, in an ideal world, people would only be matched with others of the same MMR, and that way all matches would be equally balanced. However, realistically, that won't always be possible because it will depend a lot on player availability - one doesn't want to exclude players from matches altogether just because there is no one with the same MMR queuing at the same time as them. Therefore, there will be times when people are necessarily matched with players of different skill levels. It's not ideal, but it's better than excluding them from matches altogether. Naturally, they'll be trying to minimise such instances, but in cases where that kind of unbalanced matchmaking is necessary to allow people to play the game at all, the system is designed such that the outcome of such matches will impact justly on the players' MMRs, unlike the current system where you can depip just because you happened to get matched with a far more skilled opponent.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
    Options

Considering they won't tell us how the MMR works, going for the conspiracy theories or the devs' words carries exactly the same amount of weight, as neither can be backed up with proof.

• Fibijean
    Options

True, there is no hard-and-fast evidence either way, because we can't see for ourselves what is going on within the studio. However, while neither is backed by conclusive proof, one is backed by significantly more logic.

And we don't need to know the algorithms behind it to know whether the system is working or not. All we need to know is whether our opponents are of roughly the same skill level as us, which as I said, should be obvious just from simple observation to anyone with a decent amount of game knowledge.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    edited May 2020
    Options

I recall them promising a highlight for when you were teleporting as the Hag and had multiple traps to choose from that were close to each other.

...Still waiting on that one.

• BlindMole
    BlindMole Member Posts: 649
    Options

They are focused on the new MMR system, wich is comforting right?

No, im actually worried it'll be worse, since there's still a lack of killers ESPECIALLY on ps4, so the game will have to find someone for them rank 1 toxic SWF. But if they hide the Mmr like they said you won't even know what hit you. Was it just a bad match? What was their MMR? You won't even know.

If the teams you face are too toxic, just slap NOED + bloodwarden. At the current state of the game i don't think anyone can blame you for doing that.

• Fibijean
    Options

I'd have to see what was said in order to comment on it properly, but unless they gave a timeframe for the feature's expected release I wouldn't call that going back on their word. I won't deny that they've made a lot of mistakes in the past, I just don't think they're the scheming liars that many players make them out to be, and in this particular case I've yet to see any real reason to believe that they're lying about what they're working on beyond "I just feel like they might be".

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

To be clear, I don't think they're scheming liars either (that's just silly), but they have promised plenty of stuff that never came to be. That one is the one that stuck to my memory because I wrote an extremely detailed killer suggestion that hinged on that being implemented.

• Fibijean
    Options

Fair enough. That certainly has been the case in the past. I'm pretty sure that's one of the main reasons that they adopted a policy of not talking about anything that's in development until it's far enough along that they're certain it's not going to get scrapped, because of the feelings of disappointment and betrayal that that sort of thing instilled in a lot of players.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,216
    edited May 2020
    Options

@Fibijean

As others have said, no, they are not lairs, but they have a history about broken plans and promises.

And i dont even hold that against them, because i understand that plans sometimes need to adapt, and some promises have to back away for the health of the game, because other things occur or circumstances change.

But i dont have faith in this promised matchmaking for 2 reasons.

First, the elephant in the room SWF. I belive it is next to impossible to balance the game around solo and swf. There are a lot of information and disinformationperks in this game, that are all nullified by swf with comms. It clearly shows, the game never was designt for it.

A modern online game needs the option to play with friends, i fully agree on that. Its nothing they can take out of the game, nor should they.

That said, it needs to be balanced different than solo survivors. But the devs are afraid of the backlash if they made a seperatly balanced swf lobby, because swf would just lose their advantage, because it could be balanced around that. No killer would use knockout in that lobby, because he knew it was worthless.

But how do you assess the skill level of a team? For simplicity, lets just asume they set it to the highest skilled member, even though we knew it is still unbalanced then.

Which leads us to the second point. The devs have several times made clear (or so i understood it) that lobby times have a high priority. And rightly so, because noone wants to wait 1 hour to play the game. But in the past, they ranked low lobby times over fairly balanced games.

One of the problems with the current matchmaking is (other than the rank not being a viable measurrement) the fact that they extend the rank range you search for the longer the waiting time gets. That leads to the point where the 3 red rank swf get matched up with the equally long waiting rank 18 survivor and get thrown on the next availible killer.

And thats simply a matter of opinion, i know as much players like myself which would rather wait another 15 minutes and get a good balanced game as i know players who dont mind unbalanced games because they just kill themself on the hook and try the next game as long as its just 1 minute away.

And you are right, we dont need to know the algorithms behind the MMR. But they will hide the result of that algorithms (at least that what i understood, but maybe i am mistaken), to avoid people realizing they were sacrificed for shorter queue times. And there is no need for that, other than stop complaints.

So no, i dont expect any MagicalMatchRating to fix it all. The biggest balance and therefore skill difference will not be adressed, the second one will most likly be kept like it is on purpose.

• Wubsyy__
    Wubsyy__ Member Posts: 116
    Options

Hide or Die is way more balanced, and as of a few days ago, it was on sale for $15! In the devs' own words, "go play something else for a change." 😁 Know your alternatives, everyone!

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Hes a rank 9 and their rank 1's...even good killers have a hard time keeping up with rank 1s. The problem hes pointing out is matchmaking

• Orionbash
    Orionbash Member Posts: 746
    Options

Um. So first off...Ghostface is a very strong killer. Your loss had nothing to do with you going against red ranks. I'm 100% assuming its your skill and knowledge of the killer you're using. Here's how you can do better:

1) I'm assuming you're wasting time by stalking people. Don't do this. Ever. Just stealth up, run in, and whack 'em off gens and force them to heal. Survivors are rarely dumb enough to not look around for a stalking Ghostface. Especially once they know Ghostface is in play.

2) Your build sucks. In my opinion the best build for Ghostface is: Ruin/Surveillance/Sloppy Butcher/Nurse's Calling. It's a slight variation to the Tru3ta1ent Ghostface that was popular before the ruin nerf.

3) If there are multiple people where you're heading to hit 1 and chase the others. Commit only on the last person, but not too long. If they're starting to loop you well, just stop and look for a healing survivor. Your goal isn't to commit to chases, its just to keep them in a constant healing state so that by the time your power is back up you can just walk over and down 'em thanks to Nurse's. Surveillance/Ruin will be helpful mid to late game in finding survivors. No BBQ needed.

4) Franklin's is a TERRIBLE perk. If you're that afraid of flashlight saves learn to pick up survivors in the opposite direction or face a wall so flashlight saves are useless. You can also bait flashlight saves by standing over the survivor, crouching on them, and then immediately stand back up and turn around. If you see scratch marks or a survivor...well, you should know what to do.

5) If survivors run up to you to take hits to preventing you from hooking... be excited. Altruism is a survivor's greatest weakness.This is what you want. Just hit all the survivors coming for the rescue. The person will get off, but you'll have 4 injured survivors which makes you a T3 Myers WITH STEALTH AND NURSE'S CALLING until remedied.

6) Invest in better add-ons. The green one that boosts power recovery and the purple that makes it impossible to break you out of stealth are the ones that you want. Everything else is #########.

7) Win.

• Fibijean
    Options

I disagree that there is no reason to hide MMRs other than to stop complaints - it seems evident to me that the main motivation behind doing so is to make it more difficult for players to figure out how the system works in order to exploit it to increase their MMR inorganically (which is one of the many problems with the current ranking system, though admittedly not one of the major ones).

My comment which you initially replied to was in response to someone suggesting not that the matchmaking system was likely not to be as well-designed as one might hope, but that the entire thing was a ruse to stop people complaining about the bad matchmaking. That's what I was calling a "conspiracy theory" and taking issue with. I wasn't saying "there's no reason to believe the new system won't solve all the current problems", I was saying "there's no reason to believe that BHVR are lying about the MMR system being in development at all", which is what that person was claiming. I just wanted to clear that up, because I got the impression that you thought I was saying something else.

Otherwise, though, I think what you're saying is quite fair and reasonable. Those are legitimate concerns to have. None of us will know for sure how well the system works until we are able to test it for ourselves, and I for one am certainly not expecting it to be perfect. It just can't be any worse than what we already have.

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    Options

Did you really just recommend Hide or Die? No-one in the right mind would want to buy that joke of a game in it's current state. It has no chance of succeeding because everytime it relaunches it gets worse. From what I saw it's trying to rip off dbd mechanics to make up it's own game's gaps.

The level up system is almost identical, the gameplay involves just running and looping around the same tile which the killer can't catch up to you unless he spends his time destroying the environment, when he does the survivor can just loop him around another a few seconds away. It's gameplay is like dbd in that you extract darkness from generators which is exactly like not holding M1 repairing a generator.

If you think Hide or Die is something worth playing I strongly suspect that you're kidding yourself.

• Crewszpoo
    Crewszpoo Member Posts: 28
    Options

Rank seems to be working to me

• Wubsyy__
    Wubsyy__ Member Posts: 116
    Options

Going by what you've said, I know you haven't played LMAO. And if by a slim chance you did play, you probably played for an hour and refunded

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989
    Options

Didn't occur to you that maybe you're performing at a level that fends red rank survivors?

Like sure, red ranks are available for both killer and survivors...but I see this more and more and I'm starting to think that green rank killers are matched against red rank survivors intentionally.

Because red rank survivors are flaming green rank garbage.

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    Options

I haven't played but I have watched about 8 hours of numerous people playing it. That's as far as I'll ever get to it because it's so bad. You can enjoy it if you'd like for however long it'll be around for. Just don't go lying about it being a remotely good game because it's a long long way from that.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    Options

Use Nurse or Spirit and you win next time 😀