The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Leaving Communities in the Dark is NOT a Smart Strategy

13»

Comments

• Sam00077
    Sam00077 Member Posts: 87
    It can’t be this hard to have patience, can it?
  • Black_Bride
    Black_Bride Member Posts: 1

@Elegant said:
    Yea it's really annoying. I don't know why they are so against telling the community about release dates/times. Every other game does it without much problem. Teasing can be fun/cool/interesting when they do it with killer reveals and things like that. But can you name a single other game that teases the release date of already known/tested content?

It's less that anyone is super "against" telling the community things, if BE is anything like the companies I've worked for. (Hi, former CM/Producer for various online games, but also a huge DBD fan.) It's more that dates can internally shift thanks to work taking longer or shorter, and missing a mark that's made public to the community results in huge backlashes, even if it's for a good reason.

The long and short of it is that more people end up getting angry if something is stated to come out on a specific day and then, for whatever reason, fails to make an appearance on that day. It shakes people's confidence, causes a huge stir, and generally leads to more headaches.

Keeping release dates quiet means that the team can internally shift things as needed without causing ire. It also gives them the flexibility to add things that previously weren't in scope without threatening a release, if they want to cram in some extra community feedback changes. That or, as DCM pointed out above me, because cert for console releases absolutely 1750% sucks.

Also, I should note, no one should ever blame the CM for setting or announcing any dates. While the CM is the name on the post, dates are more frequently set by production, marketing, and executive levels. A CM's job is more centered on collecting community feedback, championing community positions in meetings, and explaining company decisions to the community at large. And moderation. Lots of moderation.

The release will come. :) I'm quite excited too.

• Chiaki16
    Chiaki16 Member Posts: 17
    Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:
    People have different levels of understanding, he is straw manning for multiple posts. If I am banned for saying that he seems to be incapable of understanding after he fails to understand then I would rather stay in other communities to be honest.

You are to blame; not the devs. The official information was available for all to see, and there was no date attached. They're not obligated to waste their time dispelling every single rumor. You are to blame.

You aren’t reading what I am saying and you are still straw manning... I might as well be discussing this topic with a tree at this point. Regardless I will try one last example. A company exists to please its fans and make money right? If this situation has costs them both the enjoyment of their fans and money in what way was this the “correct” path for them to take? 
  • TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052

@Elegant said:
    Yea it's really annoying. I don't know why they are so against telling the community about release dates/times. Every other game does it without much problem. Teasing can be fun/cool/interesting when they do it with killer reveals and things like that. But can you name a single other game that teases the release date of already known/tested content?

It's less that anyone is super "against" telling the community things, if BE is anything like the companies I've worked for. (Hi, former CM/Producer for various online games, but also a huge DBD fan.) It's more that dates can internally shift thanks to work taking longer or shorter, and missing a mark that's made public to the community results in huge backlashes, even if it's for a good reason.

The long and short of it is that more people end up getting angry if something is stated to come out on a specific day and then, for whatever reason, fails to make an appearance on that day. It shakes people's confidence, causes a huge stir, and generally leads to more headaches.

Keeping release dates quiet means that the team can internally shift things as needed without causing ire. It also gives them the flexibility to add things that previously weren't in scope without threatening a release, if they want to cram in some extra community feedback changes. That or, as DCM pointed out above me, because cert for console releases absolutely 1750% sucks.

Also, I should note, no one should ever blame the CM for setting or announcing any dates. While the CM is the name on the post, dates are more frequently set by production, marketing, and executive levels. A CM's job is more centered on collecting community feedback, championing community positions in meetings, and explaining company decisions to the community at large. And moderation. Lots of moderation.

Thank you. This is the perspective I was trying (and failing) to convey.
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@Chiaki16 said:
    You aren’t reading what I am saying and you are still straw manning... I might as well be discussing this topic with a tree at this point. Regardless I will try one last example. A company exists to please its fans and make money right? If this situation has costs them both the enjoyment of their fans and money in what way was this the “correct” path for them to take? 

Trick question. They couldn't have known the result beforehand. Hindsight is 20/20, as they say. Regardless, it's not on developers to dispel each and every rumor their fanbase can come up with.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

@Artorias said:

@Boss said:

@Artorias said:

@Boss said:
    Hm, only you and a few have complained so far though.
    Y'know, there's thousands of other players not complaining at all.

the others havent complained argumetn just sucks because well theres propably thousands of people who dont even know theres a new dlc coming anytime soon also with this argument i can just say the next time console gets an update a month later then pc well dont complain we pc players arent complaining so youre just crying without reason

I can't make out your grammar at all.
    If you want me to know what you're writing, formulate it properly.

im just trying to tell you that the argument you used is just useless and stupid

Now you use great grammar. Great!
    But you fail to make your point using good grammar.
    So far, the best that i got from you is: "Your comment is stupid."
    So i can't really view your comments as valid or anything.
    You wanna correct that or is this discussion not as important as you try to make it seem and thus you won't try to let me understand?

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

@karimew said:
    There was never any official confirmation that the release was today. I think YOU need to take a step back and calm down. It's a game. Get some fresh air lol It will come when it comes.

I know the chances of it being today are very slim, but Queen's attempt to hype by saying "Soon™" on every post she goes to about the matter doesn't work for hype.

Yea they would rather troll us with the "SoonTM" instead of answering legitimate questions like the color blind support topic in the wishlist. It's went unanswered for WEEKS. 
    I feel like they shouldn't reveal new content but with the exception of it being really important to someone! If I can't play a game due to a bug or disability (Colorblinded), they should keep us updated on their fix/update! However they shouldn't reveal when a DLC will drop since you'll expect it and it ruins the surprise kinda but everyone is different! :)
  • Chiaki16
    Chiaki16 Member Posts: 17
    edited September 2018
    Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

Trick question. They couldn't have known the result beforehand. Hindsight is 20/20, as they say. Regardless, it's not on developers to dispel each and every rumor their fanbase can come up with.

Orion said:

@Chiaki16 said:

I would argue that anyone who has been a child knows what the reaction to disappointment is, especially when you string people along with comments of “soon” instead of “not today”. I would also argue that it is the responsibility of the developers to manage their  community and address issues as they arise (not referencing queen here, every comment I make is directed at BHVR as a whole).

This is also not the first major faux pas made by BHVR during this dlc cycle. They were banning people on the twitch stream when they were upset we got to watch amateur hour dbd gameplay instead of getting info on the new killer and/or more answers for popular questions. That ALSO could’ve been avoided if they announced that it was going to be a “watch the devs” stream earlier then an hour beforehand. 

I have supported the game both through buying the game with all dlc 3 times and also donating/subscribing to multiple twitch channels. I obviously like the game, all I ask is that the devs actually handle PR like they should so I don’t feel like I’m supporting a company that doesn’t respect its community.
  • Action_Jaxon
    Action_Jaxon Member Posts: 73

I for one don't blame them for being tight lipped about updates. If they give a date and fail to meet it they are met with torches and pitchforks if they don't give a set date so an not to disappoint people they are met with torches and pitchforks. It's a no win situation for them either way. I don't understand why people can't just take things as they come and enjoy what they already have.

• slingshotsurvivor
    slingshotsurvivor Member Posts: 943
    I would get a kick outta it if they did more stuff like someone mentioned above. Here are my examples that could be fun? 😉: showing hands on a keyboard ready to press some "button" for the release, a countdown clock where someone (maybe animated) resets the clock etc. That gives us a laugh and something to look forward to and talk about.... 
  • TheHourMan
    One thing I said on another thread that I feel needs to be said here is: "Soon" could potentially include today. And perhaps the reason Queen says "Soon" is because that is what management wants the answer to be until they know for sure whether or not they will be able to get it finished and pushed out the door by tonight. 
  • TheHourMan
    Remember, they are a Canadian company. It is still only about 5:30 pm there right now. Of course, it probably won't be today, but I'm sure they are working hard to get it done ASAP and want to leave the possibility open.
  • Wigs
    Wigs Member Posts: 9

There was an easy way to avoid upsetting anyone: just let players know what is going on and when to expect the content; they have that ability no matter what on PC, even if there was uncertainty for the console release date. They knew the prevailing supposition was that it would be the 11th and they let the rumor persist when even a single tweet would've diffused it.

Anyway, what bothers me is the silence goes beyond feigning secrecy or surprise because there is nothing in the patch that isn't known so playing that game with the community comes off a bit sour. It seems to me there is an ulterior motive hidden somewhere in their silence and I suspect it is that they are delaying the PC release until the garbage console back-end is sorted. Irksome at best if publicly stated but insulting when contrived.

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    You're upset for no reason. Take a seat.
  • TheHourMan
    Wigs said:

There was an easy way to avoid upsetting anyone: just let players know what is going on and when to expect the content; they have that ability no matter what on PC, even if there was uncertainty for the console release date. They knew the prevailing supposition was that it would be the 11th and they let the rumor persist when even a single tweet would've diffused it.

Anyway, what bothers me is the silence goes beyond feigning secrecy or surprise because there is nothing in the patch that isn't known so playing that game with the community comes off a bit sour. It seems to me there is an ulterior motive hidden somewhere in their silence and I suspect it is that they are delaying the PC release until the garbage console back-end is sorted. Irksome at best if publicly stated but insulting when contrived.

How do you know that they aren't? And how do you know what their motives are? Do you work there? Do you sit in on their meetings? Calm down. The day is not over yet and there is still a possibility that you will see it today. However, even if you don't see it today, the devs never gave any indication that you would, nor did they deny the possibility. 

It COULD probably release today. And that is most likely why they didn't outright deny it. However, don't you think it might be slightly bad PR for them to release this dlc on 9/11 anyway? You know there will be a good chunk of people who will ######### about it if they did release it today. This is just a lose/lose scenario and it is ridiculous to expect the devs to acknowledge a rumor that they never fed into.
  • Wigs

@TheHourMan said:
    bad PR for them to release this dlc on 9/11 anyway?

Oh, right. September eleventh. Who could forget the infamous day when 2000 people lost their lives after a bullet train derailed in Kagoshima? Or were you referencing that nut-job in Kagawa who murdered his wife and daughter?

Right. I can see the problem now... how insensitive of Behavior Interactive.

• TheHourMan
    Wigs said:

@TheHourMan said:
    bad PR for them to release this dlc on 9/11 anyway?

Oh, right. September eleventh. Who could forget the infamous day when 2000 people lost their lives after a bullet train derailed in Kagoshima? Or were you referencing that nut-job in Kagawa who murdered his wife and daughter?

Right. I can see the problem now... how insensitive of Behavior Interactive.

Dude, you are on the internet. You shoupd understand how irrational and insane people can be over small issues... such as the reaction people here have to the devs not going out of their way to dispel what was very clearly a rumor.
  • Wigs
    edited September 2018

@TheHourMan said:
    devs not going out of their way

"Hey guys, just to clarify the patch will be out _________." Or "Not this week guys! We have to _________."
    You are right; that would be really difficult. Sure glad they didn't go "out of their way" on that.

Bottom line, silence causes more frustration than transparency.

• NMCKE
    Wigs said:

@TheHourMan said:
    devs not going out of their way

"Hey guys, just to clarify the patch will be out _________." Or "Not this week guys! We have to _________."
    You are right; that would be really difficult. Sure glad they didn't go "out of their way" on that.

Bottom line, silence causes more frustration than transparency.

Why do you wanna get the DLC spoiled? I mean wouldn't that ruin the fun?
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@Orion You just need to post the @DocOctober Meme.

• Wigs

@Nickenzie said:
    Why do you wanna get the DLC spoiled?

The DLC was spoiled the second it hit PTB and was data-mined; the longer they wait the more people see it. Beyond that, if they want to pretend and you want to believe that they are delaying so there is a "surprise", they could reveal the week and not the day. Anything is better than silence. Well, anything except "Soon™".

@Nickenzie said:
    I mean wouldn't that ruin the fun?

I can't even fathom this.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@Wigs said:

@Nickenzie said:

You can't fathom fun?

• NMCKE
    edited September 2018
    Wigs said:

@Nickenzie said:
    Why do you wanna get the DLC spoiled?

The DLC was spoiled the second it hit PTB and was data-mined; the longer they wait the more people see it. Beyond that, if they want to pretend and you want to believe that they are delaying so there is a "surprise", they could reveal the week and not the day. Anything is better than silence. Well, anything except "Soon™".

@Nickenzie said:

Soon™

Edit: Sorry, I just had to! ;)
  • Wigs

@Wicked_Django said:
    ... summed up in the following statement:

Oof, that's a strawman, my dude.

@Wicked_Django said:
     The devs are not in the business of check [sic] dbd fan sites for accurate information.

You have to put yourself though some mental gymnastics to believe that the devs or community managers didn't know that people were overwhelmingly expecting a 9/11 release. It isn't about "checking fan sites for accurate information"; that information was being spread here too. Addressing it simply would've been the "community friendly" action.

• Puppetmaster
    Puppetmaster Member Posts: 6

@Wigs said:

@Wicked_Django said:

@Wicked_Django said:
     The devs are not in the business of check [sic] dbd fan sites for accurate information.

You have to put yourself though some mental gymnastics to believe that the devs or community managers didn't know that people were overwhelmingly expecting a 9/11 release. It isn't about "checking fan sites for accurate information"; that information was being spread here too. Addressing it simply would've been the "community friendly" action.

I agree a simple. "There is no plan for release on 11th of september. Please be patient it will release when it's ready."

• TheHourMan

@Wicked_Django said:
     This whole thread can be summed up in the following statement:

”I believed a rumor on the internet was true and it wasn’t true. Someone other than me should be held accountable.”

it was a wiki. The devs are not in the business of check dbd fan sites for accurate information. Didnt anyone tell you not to believe everything on the internet?

This pretty much sums things up nicely. I woke up today hoping that the update was today because I've heard the rumors as well, but am I upset that it isn't out today? No. I knew it was a rumor and nothing official was announced. Everyone just take a chill pill. It'll come out soon enough.

Exactly. We don't need BHVR telling us when it's NOT coming out. We barely even need them telling us when it IS coming out. I would be perfectly happy if it just dropped yesterday unannounced.
  • Elegant
    Elegant Member Posts: 443

@Black_Bride said:

@Elegant said:

I know that this is the main reason. It's just a terrible excuse. Of course some people would get annoyed if a release date was pushed back. But, it's even more annoying to never be communicated with. Communicating with your players is the most important thing you can do as a company and they are essentially refusing to do this. I'm not so much annoyed at the update not releasing as I am their explicit refusal to talk to the community who are clearly annoyed by this. I'm legitimately considering uninstalling the game if the update isn't out in the next day or two and the devs have still said nothing about the release time. I have no intention of playing or supporting a company that can't do the bare minimum of communication for their players

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388
    The only people expecting the dlc today were the people who trust Reddit. The devs never said anything. Stop believing everything on Reddit, steam and on this forum.
  • Wicked_Django
    Wicked_Django Member Posts: 128
    Wigs said:

@Wicked_Django said:

@Wicked_Django said:

I don’t think you understand what a strawman is.

mental gymnastics? Hardly.  What did they say on Thursdays stream?  There is no release date yet. Why would anyone think that the 11th was a valid date at that point? If they planned on the 11th, they would have said Thursday. They said there was no date. It takes some real gymnastics to equate “No date set” with “Its going to be the 11th.”
  • Wigs

@Wicked_Doggo said:

You wrote an intentionally oversimplified statement that does not accurately surmise any of the reasons people are frustrated while simultaneously dismissing them. Yep, I'm thinking it checks out, lad. 😉

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068
    edited September 2018

@Wigs said:

@Wicked_Doggo said:

You wrote an intentionally oversimplified statement that does not accurately surmise any of the reasons people are frustrated while simultaneously dismissing them. Yep, I'm thinking it checks out, lad. 😉

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

No what's amazing here is that you all believed a rumour being spread around and are now mad at BHVR for not squashing said rumour. So going by your logic everytime there's a rumour anywhere anytime they need to squash it immediately.

Do you not see the bad reasoning there since if they do it once they'll be responding to thousands upon thousands of rumours being spread. It'd be a complete waste of their time. They said they had no release date yet which means.

THEY DON'T HAVE A TIME ESTIMATE ON WHEN IT WILL BE READY.

If they'd said This week then had to delay it to fix something you'd all throw a huge fit and say they were being dishonest and not forthcoming etc.

• Dr_doom_j2
    Dr_doom_j2 Member Posts: 869
    Iceman said:

Anywho I personally like the suspense of waiting. And I think the devs have fun with it as well. 
    Possibly the best macro ever posted in this forum, especailly gor the situation. That Skorpiano guy needs to learn humor from you
  • TeambossFloze
    TeambossFloze Member Posts: 1,260

@TheBean said:
    oh man!.... The sky is falling!

This is proof people can get their panties tied in a knot about anything.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN !!! IT WAS ON A RANDOM WEBSITE SOMEWHERE AND HERESAY SAID THE DLC WAS OUT ON 11TH !! HOW IS THIS OVERREACTING..

I jest...ppl are stupid

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,998

The entitlement just drips off the page.

• Wigs
    edited September 2018

@powderbats said:
    Do you not see the bad reasoning there
    If they'd said This week then had to delay it to fix something you'd all throw a huge fit and say they were being dishonest and not forthcoming etc.
    Do you not see the bad reasoning there

Poetry

• Lobo21546
    Lobo21546 Member Posts: 1
    The certification that happened on consoles was because of how big the update was and the addition of the cosmetic store with Sony wanting to make sure they get a cut from every purchase. That is why the update that brought the clown took so long especially with Sony anti cross platform gameplay policies. So the new killer update shouldn't be delayed unless it's the same size as the clown killer update.
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Wicked_Django said:
     This whole thread can be summed up in the following statement:

”I believed a rumor on the internet was true and it wasn’t true. Someone other than me should be held accountable.”

it was a wiki. The devs are not in the business of check dbd fan sites for accurate information. Didnt anyone tell you not to believe everything on the internet?

THe wiki made clear that its not officially confirmed, just fyi

• BigBadPiggy
    BigBadPiggy Member Posts: 678

@TheHourMan said:
    Black_Bride said:

@Elegant said:

Thank you. This is the perspective I was trying (and failing) to convey.

THERE WE GO!! AN ACTUAL ANSWER! Thank you for this, unlike everyone else who is just arguing.

• redsopine1
    redsopine1 Member Posts: 1,437
    TheBean said:

oh man!.... The sky is falling!

This is proof people can get their panties tied in a knot about anything.

That's why I go commando I have nothing to tie up (sorry just came to me when I read your comment)
  • Wicked_Django
    Wicked_Django Member Posts: 128
    Wigs said:

@Wicked_Doggo said:

Thats your opinion that I didn’t summarize it to your satisfaction. Others seemed to think I hit the bullseye. And its clear you dont know what a strawman is as there was no argument in my summary nor did I build a false argument to destroy instead of addressing the actual concerns. It was a summary, flippant for sure, but I then went on to address TWO actual points brought up by the OP: BHVR is somehow responsible for misinformation on the internet, and the confirmation that the devs said there was no release date set. So...put that in your book
  • Artorias
    Artorias Member Posts: 21

@Boss said:

@Artorias said:

@Boss said:

@Artorias said:

@Boss said:

the others havent complained argumetn just sucks because well theres propably thousands of people who dont even know theres a new dlc coming anytime soon also with this argument i can just say the next time console gets an update a month later then pc well dont complain we pc players arent complaining so youre just crying without reason

im just trying to tell you that the argument you used is just useless and stupid

You wanna correct that or is this discussion not as important as you try to make it seem and thus you won't try to let me understand?

the argument sucks because i can also just say well thousand of people havent complained about a game breaking bug so its fine and doesnt have to be fixed

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

@Artorias said:

@Boss said:

@Artorias said:

@Boss said:

@Artorias said:

@Boss said:

the argument sucks because i can also just say well thousand of people havent complained about a game breaking bug so its fine and doesnt have to be fixed

Yes, you could indeed say that.
    But then that comment would be completely irrelevant, so i wouldn't view it as a good point (or A point at all) when talking about good business.

• Wolff_Bringer
    Wolff_Bringer Member Posts: 90

What i hate more than this, are the people that insulting or bashing not_queen or some other developer for them saying "SoonTM". Not_Queen cant say when the DLC comes out. She is not allowed to do that.
    As the other developer is the same. The marketing group of dead by daylight says when to release an release date and when to make a DLC and so on. (i think)

And i hate wiki's or players who claim a date and then when its not ariving people are upset because some wiki people said it and of course the players think that will be the date.
    sadly this was the fault from the wiki püeople, since they said that it would be released yesterday.

Im fine with waiting, since the developer didnt state a date its fine.

• FunC
    FunC Member Posts: 65

@Wolff_Bringer said:
    What i hate more than this, are the people that insulting or bashing not_queen or some other developer for them saying "SoonTM". Not_Queen cant say when the DLC comes out. She is not allowed to do that.
    As the other developer is the same. The marketing group of dead by daylight says when to release an release date and when to make a DLC and so on. (i think)

Then maybe don't say anything? And don't troll the consumers?

• Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    edited September 2018
    FunC said:

@Wolff_Bringer said:

I didn't feel trolled, why did you @FunC
  • Wolff_Bringer
    Wolff_Bringer Member Posts: 90

@FunC said:

@Wolff_Bringer said:

It's actually a little troll, but maybe not. Since she said "SoonTM" she maybe meant trhat it isnt coming yesterday, nor today?
    Maybe she meant its coming this week?
    You all interpret it to soon. Not SoonTM.

• FunC
    FunC Member Posts: 65

@Vietfox said:
    I didn't feel trolled, why did you @FunC

Good for you, I didn't either, I don't even want that DLC. But it's still trolling.