Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Wow a rank 1 camper

Yup I just played a rank 1 proxy camper. I mean come on I have enough of a hard time as it is dealing with red rank killers tunneling me but this? I had kindred open handed so yes I’m sure that’s what he was doing. The other two were a good distance away and I was waiting in hiding. Finally I gave up and just went for it. Feels good to rant on here though thanks.

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

What's "proxy camping"?

• Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,580

Some people are more "toxic" during the archieves just a FYI to get challenges done

• LALYTHIA
    LALYTHIA Member Posts: 1,656

Its pretty much the only way Killers know how to get to red ranks. And its "smarter" than straight face camping because survivors are more likely to try and save if you proxy, so you get constant hook trades without having to do much...and if you're really thirsty you can tunnel as well and make it 2 hooks for every 1 save attempt. Its most matches, if the killer is smart and wants more pts than the average face camper, and isn't very fun.

• SquirrelKnight
    SquirrelKnight Member Posts: 951

I agree, hard to make a call. For instance whenever i play killer i usually check the area around the hook before leaving and i get flamed for that

• Orion

I've heard it being defined as any type of safeguard that might guarantee the killer can return before the survivors have had a chance to unhook (like traps or if you're playing a fast killer). In other words, anything that doesn't give a free unhook. Act surprised.

• Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,580

i haven't played killer in around 3 months so i am that rank of a killer :) unfortunately for me i double pip a lot i mean a lot, and eh...

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

If you dind it cathartic fine, its just odd that it still gets to you if youre in the reds. Like i dont get upset every time someone pallet loops me or gets a flashlight save 🤷‍♂️

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

Literally just translates to, "I want to complain but the killer was actually pretty far away and just came running when they heard the unhook sound. Lets make a new term for that."

• Cassandra_Alexandra
    Cassandra_Alexandra Member Posts: 254

I suppose I got impatient after awhile. I saw him walking back and forth in a straight line prolly hoping to get an easy spear. I know I’m at fault for being overly altruistic. It’s one of my biggest downfalls. I didn’t want him to get to 2nd phase. So when the killer was at his furtherest point away, which wasn’t that far at all I said screw it and went for it.

• Zoophage
    Zoophage Member Posts: 122

Despite being within the rules of the game, it's an extremely boring way to play the game (for both survivors and killers). Generally speaking, these killers are not very good. The best way to deal with this behavior is to try and punish it as best you can (i.e., work on generators). I hate it when I'm on hook (Kindred, of course), the killer is camping (face, proxy, whatever), and I see the auras of 3 teammates all crouched nearby or slowly making their way to me! Work on those gens! There's nothing worse than letting a campy killer 4k!

I'm guessing the rank 1 camper you ran into probably doesn't play like that often. I find most campers to be mid-rank, at best.

• Cassandra_Alexandra

I’m glad for you, but I’ve read many a post on here where experienced survivors express their upset at a situation that just occurred. I don’t think it’s odd at all. Obviously you’re imperturbable and that’s great for you. I wish I was more like that.

• LALYTHIA

Enlighten me, what is the relevance of your question? Other than to prove my statement correct? 😂

• Zoophage
    Zoophage Member Posts: 122

Btw, Isn't "proxy camping" when the killer stays just far enough away so his aura is not seen via Kindred? So what? 16m away?

• kazakun
    kazakun Member Posts: 581

I've seen a rank 1 do it with a Huntress and a Trapper. The trapper was a full on face camp. I was kinda surprised,but whatever. I'm sure there's tons of people that didn't get that high playing by the unwritten rulebook.

• Cassandra_Alexandra

That’s not what I’ve been told in the past. I learned that it was staying within close proximity to the hook. His aura from Kindred never disappeared.

• Orion

That's just regular camping. This is why definitions are important and it's why I asked.

• NinjaDette1
    NinjaDette1 Member Posts: 1,289
    edited May 2020

Though I equally play killer and survivor someday I’d would like to squash a killer like a bug.Or beat them like a piñata😁.I’m only joking about that last part.

• LALYTHIA

But your comment wasn't whether or not I play both sides - because I do. It's that if I don't play a red rank killer, suddenly my opinion is invalid, which is a fallacy. I play a red rank survivor every single day and this is my experience. If there is a red rank killer in your match, 9x out of 10 - they are using a form of camping and definitely tunneling to keep their rank up. Very infrequently do I get a high ranked killer (or any killer) that plays to all of their objects and makes the match fun - even if you die. So your question has nothing to do with the validity of my comment. Also, your commentary does nothing but prove my point - this is how Killers play to get to red ranks. LOL So, I guess, thank you for agreeing with me? 👍️

• Dead_by_Gadfly

I asked you what rank you got to and remarked how you come across. Its interesting how you avoid the question though. If you want to know what rank survivor i am ill be happy to tell you. Why are you avoiding it so hard?

You know what, skip that. I have a better question, if its so easy why dont you do it? We all know youre not a rank 1 killer, so why not show us? Play as killer till you get to rank 1, do it without ever camping or tunneling. Seriously, whats the harm in giving it a shot?

• Cassandra_Alexandra

I’m going by what I was told by a few people when I was learning and trying to understand the different terms I heard or seen.

• zkelvln
    zkelvln Member Posts: 54

Sometimes killers have no choice to do it especially when:

1) He got a 3-gen close to the hook thats his win condition

2) Survivors are gen-rushing, making the killer get them off their gens by forcing altruism

3 and most important) When a killer gets a terrible map that they cant win no matter how good they play

• LALYTHIA

I'm not avoiding your question - I just see the very transparent argument you trying to make: that because I am not a red rank killer, I can't have a valid point about the play style of red rank killers. Which simply isn't true. I play against red rank killers all day. So my rank as killer is irrelevant - either way my point is still valid and only further proven by your commentary.

But, to answer your question - since you seem to want to attempt to make your point anyway - I am typically around a rank 10 as Killer before reset. I don't play killer nearly as often as survivor for a couple of reasons. One, I prefer to play multi-player, team type games and always have. Two, I don't enjoy killing people in game. I don't find it nearly as fun as a riveting Survivor match...although when I have numerous sweaty matches as Survivor, I do find Killer to be a nice, relaxing escape and often feel it kind of necessary to give other Survivors a break from that behavior because I don't have a problem pipping as Killer, even as a rank 10 against the common red rank lobby.

If you're implying I think ranking up as Killer is easy, you are mistaken. While I am definitely a Survivor main, if you've seen me talk about BP and Rank gains in this game, you will know that I think Survivor is too easy to rank up (as evident by the complete potatoes I play with as a solo daily), and that Killer is too hard to rank up...which is why I think some of the worst game play comes into the game...because Killers feel like they HAVE to play that way in order to advance. I am a big proponent of equalizing the rank system in favor of Killers and fixing the match making system.

That does not negate the fact that the majority of Killers employ these tactics from moment 1 of a match and is most typically the only way they can get/keep their red rank. And, that this play style is not remotely fun to play against. When all a Killer does is proxy, you miss out on some of the most fun aspects of the game...getting discovered trying to reach your objectives...going for a spirited chase...mind gaming each other. None of that exists in matches where the Killer stays within range of a hook to be able to run back for off-hook, down the off-hooker and tunnel the off-hooked. I have definitely played against some really good Killers who never had to use these tactics and wrecked a red rank survivor team. So, I know it is possible. It's just isn't typically a level of skill Killers are willing to achieve, when the aforementioned play style will get them there at the expense of the things that make this game fun and exciting.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    edited May 2020

Yeah but youre opinion is irrelevant if youve never had a group of rank 1s fix 3 gens before you get your first down. Go through that and tell me how you came back without proxtmy camping.

My challange is pretty straight forward. Im new to these forums (though not the game) and I spotted you pretty quickly. You're every rank 16 killer rank 4 survivor Ive had in my dms complaining that i didnt let your friend unhook you. This is simple, if you think rank 1's should be able to get there and stay there without ever ptoxy camping or tunneling, do it. Show us. And when youre done teach us. Im sure we'd all love to know. Cause as far as Im aware there isnt a single person in red that has never camped or tunneled. But hey, if youve got the secret, prove it.

• Orionbash
    Orionbash Member Posts: 765

Camping is an inherent abuse of the power role as killer and more needs to be done by the devs to discourage camping. Even proxy camping. I really think the timer should be increased (Aside from endgame, as there really is no reason to leave a hook once all 5 gens are completed) during the game if: 1) The killer remains within 32 metres from the hook or 2) The killer re-enters the 32m range of the hook for more than 5 seconds.

It's not just a matter of gen rushing to counter either. I play mostly solo queue and it's impossible for me to know if the killer is camping unless 1) I have Kindred, 2) The hooked survivor has Kindred, or 3) I actually get off my gen and run to the hooked survivor only to find the killer camping. The devs have stated that SWF only make up a small portion of the number of games being played at any given time. This means that most people are solo queue. This means that everyone else aside from the hooked survivor needs to learn that the killer is camping them. That's a lot of wasted time that is supposed to go towards gen rushing to counter camping.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

I don't see where there is correlation between rank 1s not beiing allowed or expected to camp. Ranks are extremely easy to farm off, anyone can get to rank 1 just if they play enough. With how easy it is I can play 10 game as purely facecamping LF and then in 5 deathslinger games be rank 1 again. If someone feels like camping (bad previous matches, mining salt etc) it's their choice to make.

• LALYTHIA

...I have. Where do you get off assuming that I have not? Especially since one of my favorite Killers to play when I need a survivor break is good 'ol Trapper. It's incredibly common to have a gen or two pop before you really get your side of the match started, if you're front loading traps. LOL

I don't know why you're insistent on making sweeping assumptions about my game play to try and invalidate my opinion, when you already proved my opinion for me. LOL I have 2k hours in this game. I have a pretty well informed perspective. And if I had any interest in perfecting my skill as Killer, I would have done so by now. Why would I waste copious amounts of time playing a position I don't enjoy simply to prove a point to you? I'm sorry, you don't matter nearly as much to me as you seem to think you do. 😂

But alas, none of what you have said invalidates my point. This play style is perpetuated throughout most ranks because most people don't seem to be able to work out how to rank up without camping and tunneling hooks. All you're doing by stating, "oh yeah, well you try it without playing this way!"...is validating my point. You clearly can't do it. Most people clearly can't do it. But I know it can be done. I have played against it. And I wish the rank system was such that people could feel they had the space to learn without feeling 'punished' by an unbalanced system.

• LALYTHIA

Also, I am also not proposing there is NEVER a reason to camp, tunnel, or slug. There are situations where I think it's a perfectly valid response: any time in end-game, when someone blatantly tries to off-hook before you can even leave (although I would never down the off-hooked person in this case, as it's not their fault), when the match is going too quickly and you need to slug to slow down progress and catch up. Sure. These are not the instances I'm talking about. I am talking about the many people who start every single match from square one trying to camp and tunnel people out of the game as quickly as possible because "3 v 1 is easier LUL". It takes very little skill and it is very unfun to play against.

• Dead_by_Gadfly

So prove it then. Should be simple rank 1 killer. Post a vid of you playing a game at rank 1 against rank 1s and 2s without doing anything that can be construed as camping or tunneling.

I "get off" making these assumptions because ive seen you say a lot of clearly very biased things on these forums in the week or so Ive been here.

And 2k hrs aint #########, dont post your hours at me like Im suppised to be impressed. Survivor mains live to do thst ive noticed. Idc

• matchmakingworksfine
    matchmakingworksfine Member Posts: 240

Proxy camping shouldn't even be a saying. Its just defending the hook. If most of the survivors are within area and bbq didnt pop then of course you should patrol a hook area. Smh

• LALYTHIA
    edited May 2020

Again, I have no desire to play Killer. I'm not going to waste my time playing a side of a game I don't enjoy to prove a point to someone who really has no legitimate argument in this thread.

And if you want to make false assumptions about my matches because you don't like the fact that I advocate for Survivor's with logic and valid counter points, that's on you. LOL I am very obviously a survivor main and will always support that perspective - especially in a forum that is dominated by Killer opinion.

Lastly, 2k hours in the span of time I've played is a huge number. Probably more gaming hours than I should be investing. I don't expect you to be impressed. I expect you to comprehend that I have played this game long enough at my rank to be able to form a valid opinion. One that you continually reaffirm each time you post here. So, I guess my point has been made. :)

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

my definition of that would be a killer "camping" the hooked survivor from a longer range.

while a "camper" is someone who stays close to the hook (without having any idea of someone being around, just to secure the kill) and actively interrupts and prevents unhooks from happening, a "proxy camper" would be someone who is further away from the hook (id say 16 - 32m or sthg like that), not leaving the area even when they dont know if someone is around. they dont actively prevent the unhooks, but they make sure to be close enough to return and get the unhooked before they can get away though.

that tactic applies better map pressure than normal camping, but comes with the risk of the survivor getting away (e.g. with the help of DS or BT).

• LALYTHIA

If coming to that "conclusion" is what makes you feel better, I guess that's fine. My original point remains the same. 🤷 Thanks for the chat. 😉

• Orion

That's so wrong.

Japanese write right-to-left, not left-to-right.

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

I KNEW the first reply would be that as soon as I looked at it again.

Curse you, observant people!