Feng has to be the loneliest survivor in the Fog

SeeYoureWrong
SeeYoureWrong Member Posts: 88

Hear me out on this.

Most characters speak English, right? Some of the exceptions are Yui, Feng, and Nea. However, Nea moved to America so English is a must for her because, let’s face it, not a lot of Americans know Swedish off the top of our heads. Yui might be the second loneliest, but she does have someone who speaks Japanese: Adam. He learned to get around the language block to teach more efficiently so he has an easy way to speak with Yui. Feng’s lore, however has no hint that she speaks English. She has nobody to talk to unless she knows English or learns to speak it in the Fog which can’t be easy.

Comments

• kylerabdcgamer10
    kylerabdcgamer10 Member Posts: 279

feng probably knows a bit of english due to gaming tournaments

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

According the her lore she is kind of a lone wolf, so she probably doesn't really care.

• xCarrie
    xCarrie Member Posts: 982

i’m pretty sure she’s picked up or learned some english from other survivors so she’s not totally lonely. but in her lore she’s a lone wolf so talking to others is the least of her worries.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited May 2020

I don't expect you've ever been to Sweden, so I'll throw out my personal experience:

EDIT: I was typing a detailed description of events but realized really these are all extraneous details so I'm cutting it down. Long story short, international trip, on the way back home I had an extended overnight layover in Copenhagen (the capital of Sweden) so I took advantage woke up early and explored the city before leaving on the flight for home.

Basically everyone in Europe speaks some degree of English, countries like Germany, Greece, France, they all have their predominant native languages, but most everyone there has at the very least a basic understanding of the english language. Which is very helpful on international trips.

This applies to the Swedish especially the few people I spoke to had an absolute perfect command of the English language which was in stark contrast to the other country I had visited, where people did speak english but communication was a bit rougher and required me to put my own effort in to understand some basic terms like greetings, numbers, please / thank you, etc. Absolutely not necessary at all in the slightest for Sweden and like I described it was a genuinely surprising contrast, and a very welcome one to hear my native tongue spoken so fluently again.

And on a related note, this was also backed up in a not-so-recent interview (2017) that I watched recently (a couple days ago) between Ricky Gervais and Stephen Colbert, the former of which briefly touched upon the subject:

(Though I want to clarify in this interview, he's talking about Iceland, not Sweden where Nea is from, however the two countries may as well be more or less right next to each other)

TL;DR Nea would likely have a very minimal if any language barrier. Basically every country in Europe has a basic command of English, but especially Sweden (and other countries in Scandinavia AKA Northern Europe) who speak English extremely fluently.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632

Feng can speak gamer girl. That in itself is sufficient enough for most thirsty Americans.

• Joelwino
    Joelwino Member Posts: 550

I'd imagine that Adam would have some knowledge of Chinese. Other than him though, she really would be lonely. She can't even explain to people that her first name is Min and last name Feng, and that "Feng" is actually pronounced "Fung."

• Cheers
    Cheers Member Posts: 3,426

Benedict also says that she seems like a lone wolf, which may be due to the language barrier, but could be many other things.

• MechanicalWolf
    MechanicalWolf Member Posts: 48

Her perk quotes prove that she can at least type/write English.

• Taiga
    Taiga Member Posts: 368

They could be translated. It wouldn’t make sense if their in chinese if you play the game in english.

• Taiga
  • Taiga

Maybe Claudette doesn’t speak english either since she’s from the french part of canada.

• Joelwino
    Joelwino Member Posts: 550

It just makes sense that after learning Japanese he would also learn bits of other Asian languages, especially since he's a teacher

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862

I can't believe nobody has thought about this, but I just wanted to point out that Jake Park on the wikipedia is labeled as "Asian American" under the Nationality / Ethnicity category.

Now, obviously that could mean just about anything and it's probably a bit of a long shot, although I would say it's probably the likeliest circumstance that out of all the survivors he might be able to speak a little bit of Chinese (of course that's only if he actually is, if he isn't then rip Feng) I kind of like that actually. Both Jake and Feng are solitary survivalists who keep to themselves, they kind of share a bit of a unique kinship.

From what I've heard from my brother (who's a bit like an adam francis type character, he likes languages) Chinese and Japanese are extremely different. If he was living in Japan as a permanent resident I wouldn't expect him to go out of his way to understand Chinese, it's kind of like that phrase "comparing apples to oranges" both circular fruits, but not quite the same at all.

I can see where you're coming from though

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,218

I would be alone if everyone kept misusing my name too.

Jake is more than likely Korean American, given Park being extremely common among Koreans. If he knows any Asian language, it would probably be Korean, not Chinese, so Min is still on her own.

Japanese and Chinese are, as Seiko says, EXTREMELY different. And Adam's lore tells us that "His Japanese was elementary at best, which slowed him down." It wasn't until right before the train derailed that Adam finally fully understood it, which wouldn't be enough time to learn an entirely separate language.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893

Well compiling all we know about about Min.

In general it's extremely unlikely that she even has any intention of communicating with anyone else.

As stated multiple times through this thread she's a lone wolf. Even more so when you realise that some survivors for example Dwight only really help people for their own benefit. "We have to work as a team, I need you to survive so that I can survive!" — Dwight Fairfield's bonds quote

Min doesn't even do this it's really only herself that matters no one else.

"She came running, passed by a wounded girl and didn’t stop. Just a glance behind her, and she was off again. With a determined look on her face, like she had something important to do. A lone wolf maybe? I am not sure what I should call this new person."

Other journal entries are pretty clear in stating if the survivor is in trouble or not for example David. In this one Min isn't injured, running away from the killer or even trying to hide from The Killers presence. She quite simply doesn't think it's worth her time helping somebody out even if it doesn't put her at risk so I highly doubt she will actively communicate with people.

Considering being lonely means you actively feel upset about having no one to interact with I wouldn't call her lonely considering she seems to do this evidently by choice. Now the language barrier might be a factor into why she makes this decision however considering whilst in trials survivors can't speak and usually communicated other ways ( for example in opening cinematic Jake grabbing Claudette to stop her from leaving and shaking his head then pointing to a gen) yet Min still has no intention of interacting with people and these circumstances I doubt the language barrier is the problem.

Now when it comes to it Min and Yui most likely speak little to no English whatsoever. In fact out of the two Min more likely to have a vague grasp of the grasp and I'm being generous here of the English language in comparison Yui.

Doing gaming tournaments especially if they were international the idea of the language barrier has probably popped up for her. However esports teams aren't usually required to hang out with each other and translators will pretty much handle interviews so you don't have to learn a different language so outside of very basic greetings and a few phrases she probably doesn't know English.

However if people kept calling me by my surname like it was my first name and to add insult to the audacity pronouncing it wrong I would probably not want to interact or even save them either

• alullabyfortheclarks
    alullabyfortheclarks Member Posts: 47

now all these comments saying maybe others know chinese or feng likes being alone, but anyone thought of this? its the entity's realm so maybe language isn't an issue?

• Volfawott
    edited May 2020

Kate sings for people in the fog so speaking is a thing

• Jordan_131201
    Jordan_131201 Member Posts: 91

She must speak some English though. Because if you read her perks, the quotes at the bottom are in English. The quotes are from Feng Min, as it says in the perk. So whether that counts to anything, idk?

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,218

They kind of have to be in English. Otherwise, they would read like (actual translations from the Chinese wiki)

Technician: 我要偷偷完成这个

Lithe: 怎么,有挫败感了吗?

Alert: 我拥有真视

Quotes like this kind of have to be in the viewer/listener's native language. I can't speak from in-game experience, but the German wiki has the quotes in German, the Chinese wiki has (obviously) Chinese quotes, etc. This would mean that Dwight is fluent in Chinese, German and English, which I think we can confidently say he's not.

• ZarinaKindaThick
    ZarinaKindaThick Member Posts: 63

Or she can speak in small bursts of English, since she undoubtedly has encountered both English opponents and teammates in her career. Plus, a decent chunk of her cosmetics have English text written on them.

• Volfawott

She technically didn't have to actually interactive any of opponents during tournaments outside of mild greetings.

As for the cosmetics it's not too hard to get shirt within certain languages the only thing I could at right think of that's in English is her coffee luva outfit.

A friend of mine has a shirt with Japanese text on it and they don't know even basic Japanese

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529

I think what they mean is that they are written in Internet slang English. Like the perk Lithe reads "U mad?", instead of "You mad".

Which could hint that she picked up some basic English from online games outside of tournaments.

• WRussoW
    WRussoW Member Posts: 715

Oh. She's not wasting time on healing, she knows it's time to rush these gens and leave. 💅 I mean, maybe she's a lone wolf in her own way (maybe she usually leaves immediately when the exit gates are opened), but without gens an injured survivor is a dead survivor, so she's doing a smart thing here for both her and a survivor. Benedict can't even call her a lone wolf for sure because "she had something important to do". If these aren't gens, I don't know what else can it be.

Feng Min is cannonically a genrusher, we stan. 😍😘