So, why is there no Auric Cells in the rift's free pass?

Options
Enlyne
Enlyne Member Posts: 429

Almost every single other free to play game with a battle pass system is:

-Less Grindy

-Offers more challenges to level up

-Gives their paid currency for free in the non-paid pass

And is just overall better, but here we pay for absolutely everything, and if we're lucky we get a bloodhunt for one week after months?

Seems legit to me that this is just being selfish.

Comments

• Cheers
    Cheers Member Posts: 3,426
    Options

Like @MojoTheFabulous stated, we have shards which are a free currency that can unlock many things that auric cells can also unlock.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015
    Options

I know that but we are always progressing towards getting more. So we are earning free currency somewhat frequently. It would certainly be nice to throw some Shards into the Rift though as the Tome's offer a good amount of bloodpoints.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117
    Options

Never seen any game giving money currency for free. What games are these?

• Enlyne
    Options

Dauntless and Fortnite to name a couple of games with free paid-pass giving some money currency with it.

• MonsterInMyMind
    MonsterInMyMind Member Posts: 2,744
    Options

Why would they give you free cells when the free pass is free what?

• Schmierbach
    Schmierbach Member Posts: 468
    Options

They need to make that money.

But seriously 10$ is not much for the cosmetics you get, my only gripe is having to still work extra hard to complete the pass. Progression should be doubled at least if you bought the battle pass and give auric cells, Iridescent shards, and bloodpoints to the free pass, but with normal progression.

• miachan22
    miachan22 Member Posts: 36
    Options

I think its best to not have auric cells in the free pass, the premium pass is cheap and you can get it all back if you work hard enough. Buut because this rift sucks and its so not worthy, I wont be spending my auric cells.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883
    Options

Because you can spend that currency to buy things from the store instead of having to spend real money

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

Basically, this.

You paid $20 or however much for a standard 4v1 game. Any additional content given for free should be happily accepted and in no way are the devs obligated to give it away for free. Auric Cells = $$$. You wouldn’t stand on a corner and hand out free dollar bills after a payday, and neither is BHVR.

• Freesham
    Freesham Member Posts: 262
    Options

Don't you earn those auric cells back anyways? So not only do you earn the cosmetics, you get auric cells you can spend on other things in the store (killers, survivors, cosmetics).

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

Yes, but only if you finish the whole Rift, and if you spend those cells on Store cosmetics you'll have to buy more for the next Rift Pass. In other words, worst case scenario from the developer perspective is they don't make any money - you spend $10 worth of AC, you get $10 worth of AC back. That's very different from giving away money for free.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,030
    Options

Honestly, I'm completely ok with that. I'm not the type of person to buy abunch of stuff from the store using auric cells, instead opting to use event cosmetics or cosmetics purchasable with shards. The fact that you can upgrade to the paid rift at any point really makes it feel like your not GAMBLING anything since you can just wait to see how far along you get before making that transaction. For the first rift, I waited until I already hit lvl 70 before buying the paid version and immediately getting my money back.

For me, I just see the rift as something thats giving me free cosmetics every now and then on a game that I was planning on playing anyway. I still have the auric cells from the first rift that was refunded to me which I intend on dropping into this rift if I can manage to finish it. I had taken a break from the game for afew months, which is why I didnt get very far at all in the last rift.

• Bootlegmoth
    Bootlegmoth Member Posts: 290
    Options

I think its because if you get free auric cells you can then get the licensed killers/survivors for free. Pretty sure part of the deal with the licence ones is that they have to be paid for with real money.

• Fibijean
    Options

Oh I agree, I have the same attitude in general, and the fact that the premium track doesn't contain XP boosters to encourage early purchasing is my favourite thing about the Rift.

At the same time, I think there are some improvements that could be made, if only for the sake of the feature's long-term success. I can manage the grind, because DBD is basically the only game I play and I have a lot of free time, but a lot of people can't, and that kind of thing can get demoralising after a while. If they don't feel like they can get anything worthwhile out of the feature, they'll lose interest in it. In my opinion, it's actually in BHVR's best financial interests to make the Rift a bit more casually accessible than it is, because people are more likely to get enthused about and want to spend money on something that they feel is within their reach.

• musstang62
    musstang62 Member Posts: 516
    Options

Take this all with a grain of salt, as I have always, and will always, think that the DBD cosmetics store is one of the most ridiculous micro-transaction situations I have personally seen in any video game. I am also a disgruntled 60/40 killer/survivor player that stopped playing months ago but still comes to the forums once in awhile because I've spent too much time on this game. Having a blast with RE Resistance right now. Anyways, with all that said:

The fact that you can find a handful of mobile games with otherwise predatory micro-transactions handing out more free stuff than a console/PC game... that is absolutely ridiculous imo. The fact that the DBD mobile gives you the ability to grind out auric cells when the console/PC versions do not - that makes my head want to explode. The mobile version should have literally 0 advantages to the console/PC version aside from being accessible away from a TV or monitor (let's not even get into the conversation about bots). DBD mobile, and every asymmetrical multiplayer competitor to this game giving free cosmetics, shows that there is truly no good reason for these to not be offered for free, or at a dramatically lower cost than what they're currently sold for. The entire game costs $20-$30. I have no problem paying for a DLC character but assuming a $12 full set cosmetic cost, how does a new cosmetic require as much work as 40-60% of the entire game did? Based on the pricing, that would not be an unrealistic assumption. Even if DBD was only a mobile game, that pricing would feel predatory

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Options

This logical fallacy ultimately falls apart due to needing the assumption that each of those cells actually results in a direct sales lost.

It doesn't and unless its extremely generous will hardly effect sales according to most satistics on these matters.

if its 200 per free track that is 1 "Free" DLC every FIVE Archives however Hypathetically just like how yours is if people get impatient in waiting theyd' might be MORE likely to spend money on cells(Maybe slightly less but still spending) to get enough to get what they'd want from what they they were planning on earning from the cells instead of having to wait the 2-6 months(If one ends instantly to another) to try to finish it.

The 3rd lines paragraph is to show how easily the logical fallacy can be turned into a positive for the devs instead of a negative.

• theArashi
    theArashi Member Posts: 998
    Options

I mean, last few rifts aren't even worth grinding for. Cosmetics are either reskins or pretty mediocre ones.

Straight away I ignore trinkets as they are too insignificant and what I have left? Horse mask for a huntress? Nope.

• LordGlint
    Options

Grind or no grind, I only see it as a positive. I played plenty of DBD before the rift came out, this is just extra stuff than what I was getting before.

• Fibijean
    Options

I never said that giving away cells like that couldn't turn more profit further down the line, in fact I explicitly acknowledged that probability. What I did say was that I'm not sure whether BHVR can afford to do that in the short term, but since neither of us understand the full scope of BHVR's financial situation, we can't know for sure. Point being, you've called it a "logical fallacy" twice, but all it was was speculation. There can't be a fallacy if there wasn't a logical argument being made to begin with.

• LordGlint
    Options

Im one who can let cosmetics go for whatever they wanna charge em for because...its purely cosmetic. They offer no advantage at all, and most of the time offer a DISadvantage. Before DBD I played alot of warframe and grinded premium currency through trading that I went ahead and blew on cosmetics. Swapping to DBD though and seeing that wasnt really an option... I didnt really lose any sleep over that. Most of my characters just stayed in default skins unless I managed to earn a new cosmetic through events. I also went ahead and bought afew cosmetic via iri shards.

All in all, if the devs want to have cosmetics that can only be bought with cash... its whatever. I'd be fuming about it if they were selling Iridescent weapons or something that offered increased stats, but they arnt.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Options

The fallacy was giving away cells = direct sales lost which isn't the case and its the main point of my post.

For giving the cells away you have to consider the fact that most people don't spend money on micro-transactions and thus most of those cells go to people who WON'T BE PAYING EITHER WAY.

I regret having the 3rd line's paragraph sense it seemed to have muddied the point I was trying to make.

• A_Can_Of_Air
    A_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 2,022
    Options

It'd be cool if each rift gave you 200 AC in the free track, which means after 2 rifts you'd have enough for a part of a 3 piece very rare outfit, or enough for a lower grade outfit. After 3 rifts you could buy one character, but that would take half a year, you'd also have to complete the entire rift before it expires to get the full 200. After 5 rifts you could buy a rift pass.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,265
    Options

So you want free stuff and because they aren't giving it to you they are being selfish. Also they give you free cosmetics that usually costed money to buy in the first place so if you want to know where your "deserved" auric cells went they went into buying you free cosmetics.

• Fibijean
    Options

I understand what you're trying to say, and to an extent I agree with it. My point is that I wasn't making any such assumption, I was simply speculating around whether such a monetisation system would actually be financially beneficial for BHVR.

• Dzeikor
    Dzeikor Member Posts: 704
    Options

We should at least get iri shards in empty free pass slots but BHVR is too money hungry despite making a lot of money already in a broken game.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    Options

Why can't you earn auric cells in game?

Easy. It's because they want you to give them more money.

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127
    Options

I think it works more on the mobile market because giving away premium currency for free in small increments is a wildly accepted practice there that's heavily encouraged.

You want people to get invested in your mobile phone game, because it's easier to let your wallet loose in it.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    Options

Id rather that practice would stay on the mobile platform. Stuff like this is how we got loot boxes in actual games. Publishers saw how much money the phone market was making and they wanted a piece of that action. That's where microtransactions came from -.-

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,265
    Options

If you want additional rank progress just do the challenges if you end up doing them all you should be around rank 60 anyway and with intermittent game play for the other 100 its not too much of a stretch to say play 100 games in 70 days.

also if you only wanted it for less grindy then you should be arguing to be allowed to skip tiers with iridescent shards not give me free premium currency because I dont want to play the game enough to get all of the free stuff.

• Gomolazoli
    Gomolazoli Member Posts: 336
    Options

The cells in the premium pass meant to be a payback (1000) if you got all of them. Basically you entered the rift and got all the rewards from it for free that way. Why would you get cells back from the free pass if you never actually spent them? Also the only 2 items I still want from this rift (Kate’s sweater, Huntress hatchet) are in the free pass as well as the final reward. Usually games have only trash in the free pass.

But despite that, empty slots and all the charms should be replaced with bloodpoints and shards.

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871
    Options

You can pay only $10 to get the premium, which it then will give you $10 worth of Auric Cells to buy the next battle pass.

So for 1 purchase of the premium battle pass, could effectively give you premium battle pass for life.

AND YOUR HERE COMPLAINING YOU DONT GET FREE MONEY FOR FREE?

• Enlyne
    Options

Can you read properly the main point of the discussion? Thank you.

• SmarulKusia
    SmarulKusia Member Posts: 819
    Options

Except a lot of these things shouldn’t be behind literal paywalls because most games that use such systems are free to play and not games that can cost between 15-30 depending on currency/platform lol

• Cheers
    Cheers Member Posts: 3,426
    Options

The only things that are behind a paywall are certain cosmetics and licensed characters. Many popular games lock their cosmetics behind a paywall, such as Rocket League and Overwatchs Esports cosmetics.

Additionally, the only chapters behind a paywall are licensed characters due to how iconic they are.

Finally, Dead by Daylight is a company, there main goal as any is to make a profit, and personally they're not near as greedy as other companies.

• Saranghei
    Saranghei Member Posts: 19
    Options

It's not 'free' stuff though. You have to invest a lot of time to progress 70 tiers even if you did all the pages. The whole game is designed around grind instead of on your performance. There shouldn't be any empty tiers at all. Maybe auric cells shouldn't be there but something surely should be. I paid for all the passes and I'm disappointed that it's filled with a whole lot of nothing on one track and the other is charms that look really ugly even when they're not clipping through outfits. This pass especially was disappointing.