Why do Freddy mains get so much hate?

Diggly
Diggly Member Posts: 112

I have been a Freddy main since he dropped in 2017, as I am simply a massive Elm Street fanatic, I got pretty good at him too. I knew all his little little tips and tricks, and I even got up to the purple and early red ranks with him. I miss old Freddy, he wasn't the weakest killer, he was simply the most niche. I got a lot of hate for years for playing what was called the weakest killer, often just little jabs but there were some particularly nasty people there too.

I was incredibly disappointed (still am tbh) about his rework, but I still mained Krueger mostly because he was my only killer that I had literally every single perk and countless addons on. I got pretty good at the current Freddy too, and I see people constantly insult him even still. I think he needs some adjustments, not full nerfs exactly, and especially not to the degree that I see a lot of people on these boards asking.

It kinda feels like a real damned if you do, damned if you don't kinda situation.

Comments

• NotDBD
    NotDBD Member Posts: 182

I think there is a lot of hate because Freddy has a lot of strong aspects. A lot of his kit is really good for utility and when playing against him he can be quite good at exposing the weaker people in the team. On top of that, he is most likely the best killer when it comes to using POP, and his general slow down from his add-ons stack up quickly.

Although he is not up there with the best killers, I think it's just hit power/add-ons provide a very consistent benefit even before you factor in the individual's skill who is playing him. :)

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070
  • Quol
    Quol Member Posts: 694

Originally people hated "Forever Freddy" builds which involves slowing the game down to a crawl and while it was nerfed/fixed there are people that hold some lingering resentment.

These days the most common complaint about Freddy is how strong he is with little skill required. Killers like Spirit, Nurse and Huntress are very good but they require some commitment to learn, whereas you can get to a somewhat decent level after 3-5 games as Freddy.

• adalesmo
    adalesmo Member Posts: 164

You should be able to dominate with a Spirit with a half-decent headset and basic ability to track scratchmarks. I'd probably not say Spirit is one of the easiest killers to master, but doesn't take much commitment at all to not be deaf, since her "counters" are extremely limited, if truly existent at all and not just dumb luck.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

I think it's how good he is with multiple perks. Most Freddy players run BBQ + Pop and gens never get done because of it, at least in my solo queue games. His teleport is just so strong.

And then there's the Forever Freddy build that is completely demoralizing to play against. I don't think it's OP per se, but it sure is annoying.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

I hate him because his kills are delivered on a silver platter. You shouldn't be asleep the entire match with clocks on the opposite side of the map. No killer should teleport across the entire map and remove a portion of the opponents objective. It feels cheap and boring.

• CornHub
    CornHub Member Posts: 1,864

It's because, for most people, he's a better killer than he was before. He's one of the deadlier killers so people are going to be disheartened when they go against him and eventually just outright hate him.

• shwag
    shwag Member Posts: 417
    edited May 2020

Some survivor mains expect every killer to play the same exact way and if they do not then it is unfun and boring. Instead of trying to adapt their skills around how different killers work they come to the forums to cry in hopes of getting killers like old sleepy boi nerfed.

Love the he has no skills and easy to get kills argument. I've been beaten by plenty swat teams as Freddy so I really don't see it.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,843

You'll see that a lot with some of the responses

OP: I think its just boring as Freddy is more of an endurance test cause a lot of his more commonly used addons slow the gen speed down.

Don't really hate Freddy mains cause its just a game

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Freddy is just a bit boring compared to most killers and there's nothing to him mechanics wise. I actually really liked old Freddy as a concept but it needed some more work for him to be a truly fun killer IMO. That being said current Freddy is fine. He's about as basic as they come and that's ok. His dream mechanics are a tad overtuned though. Personally I'd make it so you can wake up at any clock, but are pulled into the dream world slightly faster, and remove the oblivious status effect so he doesn't naturally counter borrowed time and also so a survivor who's running object doesn't have literal permanent wallhacks on him which is just ridiculous.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,033

Freddy has too many mechanics that ease the game as a killer. He has an automatic slowdown, faster teleport, survivor highlighting, and safe hook save counter (oblivious) when survivors go asleep in his base kit. Without any add ons: gen speeds, heal speeds, stealth, looping, and saving are countered.

Its also easy to put survivors into sleep and not particularly easy to get out since the clocks are always the furthest away. Survivors are automatically put into sleep every sixty seconds, so you’d have to wake up a minimum of eight to twelve times in a game that requires the survivors to run the full length of the map.

His base kit should be reviewed and add ons boosted to compensate in a portion of these areas ala the Nurse rework.

• seki23
    seki23 Member Posts: 833

because he is an strong killer, and strong killers get hate. u should always play weak m1 killers, u should alreany know that.

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

It's because they can't deal with another killer being top tier and expect to dance around them like the Maypole of Merry Mount.

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994

I definitely don’t think Freddy should be nerfed. He is an m1 killer at the end of the day.

One thing I will say is that Freddy gets so much..... just for being Freddy. Survivors automatically get pulled into dream, which can slow down the game. He has a teleport that automatically recharges, and snares that he places without any care (clown gets slowed by his bottles and it’s his only power....LOL). Compare that to Nurse and Spirit, who have good powers, but have to put in work to get something out of them. Freddy just feels braindead by comparison.

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826

He's not lying.

Puppers played Freddy today, and it was an enjoyable match and he GG'ed everyone, even tried to start a conversation with them because he let a guy take hatch and NO ONE SAID ANYTHING BACK.

Not 1 GG, nothing.

• Farshad7913
    Farshad7913 Member Posts: 58

because you dont have to bust your balls off just to win a game with him and that according to survivors is not okay.

• deadbyhitbox
    deadbyhitbox Member Posts: 1,117
    edited May 2020

So because a group of people didn't choose to interact with someone, that means that survivors want killers as punching bags? Okay.

• Fiv55
    Fiv55 Member Posts: 350
    edited May 2020

low skill floor & ceiling

for me it feels a bit like "auto play" with his snares. I dont need to mindgame to get a hit/down around loops, just make sure that the survivor is in dream world and spam snares. Good freddys dont even bother chasing you if you're awake and they cant get the first hit in a short amount of time. Ofc you have to kow the basics of the game & map awareness etc. but there is nothing really to learn about his power.

It just feels like you have to learn other killers in order to master them, while freddy is just there and everyone falls asleep passively. Good nurses need to predict their blink, same with spirit (phase), billy curves / knowing when to go for chainsaw, huntress/gs aiming / map tiles & gaps to shoot through, oni flick / charging around loops correctly etc.

A lot of survivors just dislike killers that they have to adapt to. You cant just run around a loop a few times but actually have to think how to avoid the snares with alternative pathing or drop the pallet early & run to the next one.

• MrsGhostface
    MrsGhostface Member Posts: 987

Because he’s a pedophile (I’m jk, I main him T_T)

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826

No, it means either everyone is petty and pissy that they didn't "Win" the match because he got a 3k and usually people say GG back, or at least something respectful after someone tells you GG OR

B. All 4 of them had their chat off, which I've never seen 4 people have their chat off.

• Ghostwithaface
    Ghostwithaface Member Posts: 594

Yeah i don't think it's a Freddy thing. Since i had that happen while playing ghostface before. Which the chat being empty post game, well it's not big deal to me. Maybe they just wanna get on to the next match quickly. No idea. Of course if someone died super early on, i normally figure they left and join another game. So the only people i figure will say gg or anything at all, will be the ones who died last, unless everyone escaped. If no one says anything, which is sometimes the case. Well no big deal really. Since they simply said nothing. No real reason to make a big deal out of people not wanting to talk. Since hey, maybe they are grinding out blood points for something and so want to get in and out of matches quickly. Again no idea. Since hey, i would take no one saying anything over being insulted or wishing my family catches a certain disease any day of the week personally.

• RavCav_
    RavCav_ Member Posts: 59

Because sometimes I get a bit of lag and miss a skill check and then here comes y'all bleeding out of the gen lol.

• Gomolazoli
    Gomolazoli Member Posts: 336

If a killer is not as garbage as the Clown, they get a lot of hate. Or if it is and you still win, they get even more. Entilted survivors are just lil’ shiets.

• Stinde
    Stinde Member Posts: 459
    edited May 2020

Freddy's power level is fine, he doesn't need a nerf. His skill ceiling however should be risen quite a bit. He is too easy to play and gets maximum results with minimal effort which boosts bad killers in to higher ranks. Freddy should require more skill, especially because he is so powerful.

In my experience (this is all SUBJECTIVE, not objective), Freddy players tend to be more toxic/camping/tunneling on average compared to other killers and 9 out of 10 times they have NoED. I don't know how someone would need that perk for so strong killer, but each to their own, I guess. This usual playstyle of Freddy players has left a bad taste in my mouth about the killer, even though it has nothing to do with his power level.

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

I dont hate Freddy mains but I absolutely abhor freddy, both going against him and playing as him.

• deadbyhitbox
    deadbyhitbox Member Posts: 1,117
    edited May 2020

Okay? But just because nobody chose to respond doesn't mean anything. For all you know they could have left immediately.

I still don't see how this correlates with the original reply saying the one person that said survivors just want killers as punching bags was overstating.