When a Survivor Main says a Killer is "boring"

SpaceCoconut
SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962

What does that mean exactly?

I imagine that they say it's boring when they can't bully the killer due to either the strength of the killer or the skill of the player, but I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

there are definitely different survivor players that would say it for different reasons.

i am pretty sure those that would be referred to as potatoes in these forums call killers boring when those killers play in the most „brutal“ way even after realizing that the survs are not the pro-looping, genrushing, bullying type.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

Right, so playing smart is boring. This is what i meant in that other thread.

I also think it proves the other point that this game NEEDS secondary objectives. Something else for the survivors to do other than hold m1 that also slows the match speed up a bit

• Respectfulnancymain
    Respectfulnancymain Member Posts: 1,816

As a person who plays both sides boring means there gameplay is very bland imo, like clown, bubba and deathslinger.

Only killer i find extremly boring is freddy because hes just spam snares, bbq and pop

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

Probably when they have powers which require no interaction from the survivors' side. For example, Legion, or Deathslinger. It's more fun to face killers like Huntress or Myers where you can have a chance to outsmart them, but if they get you, they're better.

• Poweas

I said deathslinger because of his quickscope mechanic btw.

• monster89
    monster89 Member Posts: 147

ONE WORD. LEGION.

Legion with thana, pop and other perks that severely slow the game down. Your playing a 30-45 min match trying to complete gens. I also think camping gens or forcing a 3 gen is boring. Yes it can be a strategy but a boring one.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,843

As a survivor main what I consider boring is the lack of interactive chases, which involves fun mind games and I don’t find myself running to a pallet but utilizing the environment around me.

the only killer I consider boring is Spirit, because while she is “mind gaming” I’m not really interacting with her other than passively through my breathing because I’ve only faced spirits running stridor since I’ve started playing.

So I would not say boring because they are hard to bully but instead because of the level of interactions in chases beyond me as a survivor simply running pallet to pallet with no attempt at mindgaming or the lack of interaction because of a killers power that I cannot change without preemptively running a single perk to give me a better chance

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

Not a survivor main but I play more survivor than killer right now (closer to 70/30 than 50/50 because I dont want my bad ping and fps to ruin a game for 5 people instead of just 2).

Whenever I call a killer boring to face, I mean that I don't enjoy facing them because I know what the outcome is going to be. Take old legion- you knew he'd stab you, then stab again, and stab again, with nothing you could do.

Spirit is another (less prominent) example of this. If a spirit uses stridor then there's very little you can do while injured except heal. Provided she doesn't have stridor, and I do have iron will, however, I can see why some say she's fun to face. When she's in the dark as much as you are, the guessing becomes a lot more fair (it's closer to a coin flip than winning the lottery three days in a row after entering half a ticket).

So, to me, I find a killer boring because I know the outcome of the match before it begins. The spirit will 3k or hatch if she has stridor, slinger will quickscope every loop, clown will get pummeled, etc. Whereas huntress or nurse or Demo or hag- you see them and you wonder how good they are, how well will the game go for you and your team. And the mystery unravels through your interaction with them.

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127

I think the only Killer that qualifies as actually Boring is Legion. Because unless you are the one that is chased, if he uses his power, he just injures you and wastes your time Mending.

Keep in mind, what I consider Boring is when a Killer's power wastes my time, isn't dangerous, and also doesn't make me think during a chase.

Every other Killer you still have interactivity with, even the ones that are controversial:

• Deathslinger - Bait him same way you bait Huntress, except successful baits tend to cause him to lose much more than just having to wind up for their next hatchet throw. Use Windows and Doors to your advantage, bait them to play predictably. His projectile shot is as fast as Huntress' Charged Hatchets, so if you can play against Huntress, you can play against Deathslinger.
    • Freddy - Other than staying awake, his snares really are not as strong as some people make it out to be. You can either avoid them or bomb rush through it, while forcing a pallet down as well as run to another structure. L & T Walls are his biggest enemy, because they don't have pallets but they both have windows. And you can still fast vault through a snare.
    • Spirit - If she starts to stand still, run away in the opposite direction, never vault into her or walk into her, actually NEVER come near a 10 meter radius around her, and when you're out of her LOS, start walking to get rid of your scratch marks. And walk TOWARDS her so she swings and misses behind you. Then start running again. Of course this might not always work, but Spirit is a Killer that forces you to read the Player, not the Killer, meaning you need to predict what they might do based on what they've done a couple of minutes earlier. You need to be unpredictable so she cannot get a read on you.

But personal preference, there is one Killer I dislike almost as much as Legion, and that is the Trapper.

I don't find him fun to go up against, unless they are a potato. Good Trapper Mains knows how to stop a chase before it even begins, and I don't like that, I want to at least have a chance to loop him around a structure but I got unlucky because he trapped that structure ahead of time. By no means does he need a nerf, if anything he needs a buff, but his playstyle is just one I personally cannot enjoy playing against, and that is completely fine.

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826

I play killer to chill, so I guess that's boring to some.

I put Archer on my 2nd screen and just watch and throw hatchets.

• kazakun
    kazakun Member Posts: 581

Id say that's probably true in some cases. Either way I think it boils down to "the killer didn't play the way I wanted him to" so it's whatever. I think when they are playing "fair" it gets boring. Some killers don't even down you when you make a mistake. They just use their power and run away. Legion was a good example. When the killer is being "fair" it has potential to be boring by design. Sometimes I like a slug match so someone can pop unbreakable and pick people up,or pop the last gen so people get adrenaline. Being fair,there's only so many things you can do as survivor. It's not quite as varied as killers with all different powers.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited May 2020

99 times out of 100 it means "this killer frustrates me" but instead of saying that they call it "boring".

Boring is when you aren't engaged and feel like falling asleep. Going to church is boring. Doing your taxes is boring.

Frustrating is when you are engaged but you just don't enjoy it. It's frustrating to be in a losing game, or playing against someone that uses a tactic you don't find fun.

The only time you can legit say "this killer is boring" is if they don't do anything. They go AFK, or facecamp a survivor as Bubba in the basement. THAT is boring because there is no engagement. But to say "Forever Freddy/Spirit/whatever tactic" is boring is a cop out in my opinion.

I hate Doc. With a passion. If I could I would delete his ass from the game. But I never say "Doc is boring" because that's untrue. He is FRUSTRATING, but unless the Doc goes AFK I'm not actually bored.

• shyguyy
    shyguyy Member Posts: 298

To me "boring" killers are killers that have little room for counter play. Oni, Spirit, Freddy, Gunslinger, Legion all fit this category to some extent with Oni and Spirit being the worst offenders.

Legion: You are going to get hit no matter what. Whatever its fine, Legion sucks either way.

Gunslinger: Eventually even bad killers will hit a shot when they can fire every 5 seconds.

Freddy: Absolutely brain dead in chases

Spirit: Guessing games. "MIND GAMES"

Oni: haHAA

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632

Boring is in simply repetitive. Doc, Freddy, Spirit, and Leatherface are extremely common on console because they are simple to play with. Freddy for example is a "boring" killer that isn't interesting for survivors to play against, no matter the perks, add-ons, or map.

• Diggly
    Diggly Member Posts: 112

Bro, you make legion miss, he gets slowed down, and you break his chain of getting feral frenzy. They made this change because old legion had no counterplay. He is one of the easiest killers in the game to counter.

Deathslinger is the same way, he gets slowed down so much while reloading, if he is still able to catch you and constantly misses, then you are not playing well yourself.

And you counter Freddy by constantly swapping to other loops, if you stick to one loop, you will not last long as his appeal is the ability to close distances between you and him. Looking for L walls, try and get better at dragging him all around. Plus, you can still fast vault while affected by a snare.e

• The_architect
    The_architect Member Posts: 120

Funny, because as a legion main. i never use frenzy as it was supposed to be used. i use it on one person then jump out of it, attempt to track him with my poor vision and knock him and move to the next player, because the other way is BORING. i like slowly taking down people, believing that i'm taking any hope in the survival.

• seki23
    seki23 Member Posts: 833

strong killers for them are usually boring, with the exception of billy for whatever reason but only for the very good survivors unless he is playing crack billy then is no fun anymore.

• gatsby
    gatsby Member Posts: 2,533

A boring Killer is one where most of chase interaction is in the Killer's hands. The Survivor doesn't play well to avoid getting downed. The Killer just makes mistakes.

Spirit and Deathslinger are a great examples. The Survivor is just guessing what they're going to do. The Killer is the one with most of the information and playmaking potential.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

It is a lot harder to quickscope on console, so you might have more fun against him there.

• Raven014

One could argue, with how many killers require survivors to make mistakes, that this is a nice change of pace.

• RavCav_
    RavCav_ Member Posts: 59

I don't think playing killer is boring, but it can take some serious focus to catch good loopers. A level of focus I often don't have. The cool thing about survivor side is I can just try to hide and do gens or look for totems when I don't have the patience for all the loop stuff.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

little to no interaction in chases. also, boring chase mechanics that basically ensure the survivors skill doesn’t matter if the killer is good enough (for instance- deathslinger or spirit)

• gatsby

For Survivors? Really? Un-Interactive Gameplay is a nice change of pace?

Cause most people love dying to a Killer power they have no real counterplay against for sure

• Raven014

Yes. It gets boring on the killer side to have to prey on survivor weaknesses... and to be able to get downs with their own skill for once. It gets really tedious doing that over and over and over again.

Then again, survivors love their easy escapes, and second chance perks, right? XD

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237

Before reding the thread i was convinced it was just a replacement for "op".

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171

Well considering that different people find different things boring, and that Survivor Mains are people with individual thoughts and opinions on things, I'd imagine they find what boring means would vary from Survivor Main to Survivor Main.

Being a Killer Main, I couldn't say for sure.

The only times I get bored when playing Survivor are when I'm slugged for a while, the Killer facecamps, or my teammates just won't do anything.

Those games are boring because my choices don't really matter. I may as well not be playing/be a bot that holds M1 and taps Spacebar/not bother playing.

However those games are generally few and far between and aren't related to any specific Killers and don't make the entire match boring (chases are always fun).

-

As a suggestion - if you're genuinely curious and not just trying to start one if those heated vs. debates that are so popular in the DBD community - maybe you could try playing Survivor for a while.

Personally I find playing Survivor every so often helps me as Killer - giving me insight into how they play, the way they see, and what actions they might or might not take; which in turn helps me figure out how to be a step ahead of them or otherwise surprise them.

Maybe in addition to answering your question, you could similarly learn something to help out with your Killer games.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936

No, it literally means they find them boring.

Everyone is allowed to have opinions, not just killers :)

• gatsby

A Killer like Deathslinger is an easy escape... because he has no map pressure and can easily get gen rushed.

That doesn't make him fun to play against. It's M1 gaming or getting chased and hoping he misses because at least 60-70% of pallets are unsafe against him (if he even lets you drop the pallet)

• McLightning
    McLightning Member Posts: 949

I'm going to have to call a massive amount of BS on the "lack of interaction/chases" bit. Based purely on the fact that the only killers people tend to complain about being "boring" are the ones that are actually effective in chases. Deathslinger, Freddy, Huntress, Oni, Spirit etc.

You NEVER hear the same sentiments echoed about Clown, Wraith or Leatherface. Nobody has an issue with those for some reason. Maybe this isn't the case for you, but this is observable with much of the survivor player base. Even in the content creator field. From Puppers to ANGRYPUG, they all consistently complain about the same killers as being "boring" when the only key difference between them and other killers is that they have anti-loop mechanics.

"boring" is just code for "effective"

I guess you're half right. They can't lead certain killers on a 3 gen chase, therefore, no chase potential, and "boring".

• Raven014

Most maps have high walls, or weird hitboxes, making his gun not very effective at them. So even if he is good in chases, he still has to require his own skill to do so. Even then, he still is capped because of, as you put it, his lack of map pressure. He can end chases really well in certain situations, but he cant down reliably enough and win against competent survivors, forget going against a 4man.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936

Not really, I also find LF and clown to be boring as hell. They just don't effect me that much because they are very rarely played. Also, I didn't see a single person call huntress boring. Don't confuse annoying hits with being boring.

Being effective in chases doesn't suddenly make killers enjoyable. Freddy's chase interaction for example is literally dropping the pallet early when you are in the dream world (no mindgames or actually showing your skill). If you find that fun, good for you but you should understand why others would not like that gameplay.

Survivors aren't some evil beings that just want to bully killers and boring does not mean being strong. The killer bias in these forums are truly amazing sometimes.

• Poweas

Eh, can't be bothered returning to it. Paying for gold again for an XBOX I only use for youtube at this point. I'll probably return when the new one comes out.

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

Yup.

I've said it like 25 times on this forum so far, "boring" is just code for something that actually works for the opponent.

Why do we know this? Because "boring" is used as the same code in every other player-vs-player game. It's so common and consistent that it's actually pretty humorous.

• BigBubs
    BigBubs Member Posts: 1,131
    edited May 2020

What they mean is that the killer is boring to play for them. How hard is it to understand? Not everyone likes and enjoys same things that you do.

I play both and like both, but some people don't.

If you mean that they say some killer is boring to play against then it's probably because the killer is too strong in their opinion. I can see why people would say that about spirits who do the braindead play of standing still next to a pallet and waiting for the survivor to make a mistake.

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127

Usually that complaint is followed up on how to change the Killer to not be "Boring" to go up against.

I think that is what he is trying to understand.

Why should people's subjective feelings over certain killers be a deciding factor in balancing them?

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

Is there a "most useless answer in a thread"-Reward you are aiming for? Because if this thread had shown anything up to your post, it is that boring is a lot of different things to different people. So you need the different opinions, because only relying on your own point of view would be, well ignorant.

• Regularguy1st
    Regularguy1st Member Posts: 16

Yeah you are right that what is "boring" can be different to many different people. But since i know for a fact that this guy only ever plays killer i see it kinda pointless for him to ask others because hes gonna just assume any sort of response is some kind of entitled survivor main. He could never possibly understand any sort of problems survivors have even if they aren't even related to killers. He said himself in his videos that he has a "deep disdain" for survivors. He has zero empathy for survivors and this is an online multiplayer game and if you want a game like this to last a long time you HAVE to have at the very least an understanding of the other sides motives. I understand that he might encounter toxic or entitled survivors all the time but that's par for the course cause i encounter entitled/toxic killers all the time but i don't patronize the plights that they have like this guy does. If a survivor has a problem or something, he assumes that every survivor is toxic or entitled just because they are survivors. I don't stand for that, cause both sides have toxic individuals to space coconut this game is a Us vs. Them which is not a healthy mentality for the continued existence of this game

• WheresTheGate
    WheresTheGate Member Posts: 575

As a survivor main I think playing against Freddy and ghostface are both boring. Freddy is boring simply because it seems the majority of my matches are against him and I would like a little more variety. Ghostface is boring because he excels at camping and most survivors aren't smart enough to not run right up and make his greatest strength even stronger.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,160

I don't think I'd use "boring" to describe a killer, would use "disappointing". Like when I play a pig and she just tunnels people with traps on and 3 hooking them before they can even attempt to remove it, disappointing because I've seen ones apply amazing pressure with the traps and it adds a level of suspense to the match. Or someone plays Mikey but they don't even bother to play him as stalker, just quickly kill everyone - it's disappointing because he's my favorite and I've played ones that do amazing at making you feel nervous about him being around corners the entire match. When I play a Trapper and he doesn't use traps or a Demogorgon doesn't use portals - disappointed because they aren't using their powers that make you pay attention to your surroundings, just move freely around map without watching your step.

• shwag
    shwag Member Posts: 417

Funny part was when they used the boring to go against argument for doctor he ended up getting a buff lol.

Let them cry instead of adapt I am all for more killer buffs.