Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Chucky - Making him work in DBD

Mothy
Mothy Member Posts: 18
edited May 2020 in General Discussions

I know that many posts are made discussing Chucky as a potential killer, but I thought I would present my idea to you all and hopefully have a discussion. I will be talking about his power, add-ons, and potential height solutions.

First let's talk about his power. Chucky will have the ability to transfer his soul (like a teleport) to other Good Guy dolls around the map (voodoo power like Cult of Chucky). The power will be on a cooldown like Freddy for balancing purposes. The map will contain 4-5 Good Guy dolls randomly spread across the map, like Pig's boxes and Freddy's clocks. Each Good Guy doll will have its own radius of notification (~5-15 meters), the radius for each doll will vary and it will be randomly assigned at the beginning of the trial. When a survivor enters the radius, the Good Guy doll's aura will change color, this will notify Chucky that a survivor is near the doll. Similar to white auras, yellow auras, etc. Chucky can transfer his soul to the doll that has been triggered and begin searching for the survivor. When Chucky transfers his soul to a different doll, he leaves behind the 'main' doll permanently, almost like Spirit leaving behind a husk. The 'main' doll gains its own radius of notification. Chucky is able to move the dolls around the map freely, placing the dolls in strategic locations (the doll cannot block certain places like gate levers, stairs, etc.).

Scenario: Chucky transfer his soul to a doll that has been triggered, chases the survivor, downs them, and hooks them. Before leaving the doll behind, Chucky decides to place the doll inside the nearby shack to keep and eye out for future survivors entering the shack.

Add-ons: Some will change the amount of dolls in the map (e.g. 5 dolls to 6 dolls). Some will increase the radius of notification (e.g. from 8 meters to 10 meters). Some will decrease the cooldown of the transferring soul.

Now let's discuss his height. Based on quick Google search I found that Chucky is 2'5" (29 inches, .74m), very short. I think his height could be viewed as both an advantage and a disadvantage. An advantage is that it will be difficult for survivors to see him in some areas. A disadvantage is that it will be difficult for him to see survivors in many areas, like barrels/garbage, cars, hay, etc. To mitigate this disadvantage we could give Chucky a passive ability, the ability to see survivor auras when near them. I loosely think of this like Oni's ability to see injured survivors due to the floating orbs.

Passive: When in a chase, Chucky gains the ability to see survivor auras within a ~2-meter radius. This will provide Chucky with the advantages that taller killers have. He could look thru barrels/garbage, cars, hay, etc. The balancing will be on the chasing aspect and on the size of the radius.

Scenario: Chucky enters a chase with a survivor in Autohaven Wreckers, the survivor drops the pallet and hides behind the truck, Chucky can still see the survivor because of the passive ability that shows the aura. Bringing Chucky into the same position as a tall killer being able to see the survivor behind the truck.

Other: Chucky could use his voodoo powers to hook survivors, break pallets, vault windows, open gates, etc. Breaking pallets and vaulting windows might just be done by using hands or jumping to grab. The hook could also be brought down to his height and once he hooks a survivor a mechanism activates and the hook is raised to its original position.

Finally, I open up the discussion to you all. What do you all think about my suggestions? Good or bad things that I have included? Things that I have overlooked? Any changes or additions you would make?

PS- I apologize for my poor grammar and English. Thanks for reading. :)

EDIT: Something I overlooked is the ability to see survivors from far away. I would say that Chucky's own radius of notification can be permanently active and work similar to spine chill, maybe get a visual or audio notification when seeing a survivor from far away. Another solution could be perks...

Post edited by Mothy on

Comments

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

I would think the height issue is as much a problem with survivors seeing him, as it is for him seeing survivors.

If they ever added Chucky as a killer, I imagine it would have to involve him in his human form for most of the match, and perhaps he transfers his soul into a Chucky doll as some sort of limited-time power after he builds up a meter or whatever.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

I just hope that that if they'll put him in the game, he'll come with one-liners

• Mothy

Yea, height is the biggest obstacle. Another solution I thought about was having Tiffany in human form caring him on her back. Chucky would do the killing and Tiffany would do the hooking, etc.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

Hah, that's a neat idea.

Maybe the upcoming Chucky TV series will introduce something that could help them finally mold him into a workable killer concept.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

I like this concept!

but I think the human form instead of main doll is needed. The aura reading would be too OP I guess so introduce a time limit to doll-possession and you have a powerful time limited form and a normal form With good detection from the dolls and some kind of map pressure with soul transfer and placeable dolls.

maybe the detection of the dolls could work like hag traps if they turn out to be too powerful. (Crouching does not activate them)

• luckybluckyu
    luckybluckyu Member Posts: 10

I don't understand why you think Chucky needs to be a full size person. He would then be like every other killer. Let's get some variety. Make him super small and let him run around with his knife. He wouldn't be able to see the survivors but neither would the survivors see him. Let him run under pallets, windows stop him of course which is funny, let him insta down after an ankle slash. Give him a tiny terror radius and a fast speed. And if we let him transfer to other dolls that would be similar to Demo and his portals. Instead have him be able to see through the other dolls around the map then he could find where the survivors are. He would have eyes everywhere the dolls are. To me the idea of not being able to see him coming is scary.

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826

This is good, I've never thought about having Tiffany do the hooking.

Interesting.

• Zarr0ch
    Zarr0ch Member Posts: 589

What about leprechaun and puppetmaster. They are also short. If Chucky can have something thought out (putting the Tiffany idea aside for the moment...though, its not a bad option) then these other 2 could also be added. Maybe an aura type thing like smoke slowly coming off him to a normal killer height or some other.

A quick google shows Chucky smoking, and Bill is allowed to. So..smoking Chucky and the smoke goes to adult height?

• Ashwitherton
    Ashwitherton Member Posts: 83

How about his size is his power eh? Because we already know that in a map like coldwin hes gonna be fckin impossible to see and if he has a power then holy sht that will just make it worse so why not let him have the size but keep it as his power so its balanced plus movement speed could be a problem and if its Charles Lee ray then boring I want that classic little nightmare I loved watching

• Zarr0ch

Well, GF and Piggy can crotch. So what's the difference....

• Ashwitherton

I suppose but imagine being able to run at regular speed but at the size of pig being crouched

• Ashwitherton

Plus it's easy to see piggy crouched where as chuck would be sized down majorly

• Zarr0ch

Chucky would have the chase music going where piggy doesnt when crouched.

I get your point though

• Ashwitherton

Yeah true but it still be awesome plus if he dose get a power I dont want any snot survivors runing him right of the bat

• Ashwitherton

Most animations would be very hard to picture since hes like a foot and a half but as someone said maby use voodoo magic for animations

• Ashwitherton

Also how would ds work since stabbing magic is just... i meen like really

• Zarr0ch

That...would depend a lot on how they implement carrying a downed survivor. I always pictured him dragging them to a hook (the hook then lowering on a chain then rising again) DS would be to stab him in the back while being dragged.

Maybe?

• Ashwitherton

That's pretty smart actually because he dose it to Andy in the second movie and drags him to a position

• Ashwitherton

Plus cool new animations

• Zarr0ch

Side thought. Puppetmaster could have strings going up above him to a x of wood to give him more visual height for survivors to see.

• Ashwitherton

That's an equally interesting idea

• Ashwitherton

Would be his movement animation the x moves so that he can move

• Mothy

The power is meant to help him see the survivors because of his size. Someone mentioned that his speed could be increased because of his size.

• Ashwitherton

Yeah I suppose but many not to fast

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,145

Then the survivor can kick him into the dying state.

• Ashwitherton

Like you dont want him running at Legion speed also fck that killer sorry but I despise him

• Sadsnacks
    Sadsnacks Member Posts: 677

They already made an asymmetrical horror game that's based off chucky. Charlie the legend

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1312150/Charlie__The_Legend/

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620

Why not just make Chucky an adult size doll to solve the height issue?

Personally, I would hate having Chucky as a DBD killer. It would be horrible if he comes into the game in his 2.5 foot form.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

Chuckys model could be made to be as tall as Ghostface and Piggy are when they're crouching. His red hair would also make him a bit more visible and should stick out a bit.He should have a custom animation for transporting his victims such as dragging them by their ankles as well as an animation for hooking, such as flicking their body up onto the hook or replacing hooks with a noose.

His power should be something like the Demogorgons shred in that he charges at the Survivor, but rather in a straight line, it should be in an arch, and maybe allowing him to jump over obstacles. I would love for him to be able to climb onto things and launch himself from heights at unsuspecting victims. He should have his sinister chuckle every time he uses his ability.

They better use his original voice actor.

• Zarr0ch

Short Chucky is the Iconic Chucky. But I do think the height would be a bit of an issue that would need a cleaver resolution

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871

I had an idea for Chucky. When he put's survivors on hooks he uses voodoo to levitate them onto the hook. His special power is there are 3-4 inactive dolls randomly generated around the map. Chucky can activate them which then they basically are a proxy alarm for if a survivor passes infront of them. He can then transfer his soul to an inactive doll across the map, leaving the previous doll sitting and facing the direction it was in when he left it. As far as his character goes, his design is shorter than other killers, same height as a crouched ghostface/pig. So he can't see over objects/prefabs, but at the same time survivors have a hard time seeing him over objects/prefabs.

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620

That’s what I think would be problematic. Something so short would be easily outran.

• Zarr0ch

Not sure about the hook thing. But the "teleporting" to other dolls would work well.

Maybe he needs a speed burst thing, not running like legion but more like nurse? Someone smarter can think of a reason. or his soul leaves the dummy for awhile to hunt (feral frenzy like thing) then returns to the doll. I dunno, lots of options

• monster89
    monster89 Member Posts: 147

I don't think Chucky needs to be the exact size. He could be the size of one of the female survivors like Feng. Or a tad bit shorter.

Kindof what they did with Riley in Smash Bros. Riley is a huge dragon in theMetroid Prime series and what they did was they scaled him down to fit the other characters better.

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063

This is kinda surreal for me, From the OP's described mechanics I get this weirdly nostalgic feeling Like they read my OC Chucky alternative killer concept, and are rehashing it here. I put a lot of effort into it, and it addresses many of the problems a doll sized killer would have while giving them a plausible way to work in game:

I came up with this concept 2 years ago, but updated it Last June 2019 (as seen above), By all means, give it a read (it's long, but the TL;DR version sums things up nicely) and I'd love to read any comments/criticisms/ideas you might have about it.

• Mothy

My concern with survivors having to pass in front of the dolls is that they could easily dodge them. I agree with the suggestion of making Chucky taller, maybe they could make an excuse that he created a bigger doll and transfer his soul into it.

• Mothy

I haven't read it but I will definitely check it out. I overlooked some things in the concept so maybe you have a better solution to the height issue.

• Zarr0ch

Maybe you see a spectral form of human chucky walking around with Doll chucky in full physical form beneath.

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited May 2020

There are a couple of issues with the height of doll sized killers from both the survivors and the killers perspectives:

From killer -

1. All grass and vegetation basically becomes corn sized making it very easy to lose survivors.
    2. They are too small to realistically vault windows, carry survivors, or hook survivors

I answered problem 1 by suggesting that they either become the only killer with a 3rd person perspective, or that vegitation renders 90% transparent for them within a 20 meter radius. As for problem 2, I the killer behind the dolls is the ghost of their maker, and she does all the work to pick them up for a vault, breaks pallets, picks up and carry's the survivors to hooks. She can't be body blocked when carrying a survivor, but she also can't attack either until she returns to a doll.

From survivor -

1. Too small to see coming.

This I answered by putting in a Red light, Green light mechanic so that once the survivors hear their TR and start to look around, they can stop the killer in its tracks via looking directly at it if they are quick enough to spot it, so they can get away. Of course this in no way means they are perfectly safe as the little jerks are fast, and you never quite know if the killer is currently possessing the doll you just stopped, or has moved to another one that's coming up behind you. That's half the fun of the concept, and should make for some fun ambushes and jump scares without feeling to OP or broken.