Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Why the increase in VPN users?

I noticed over the past 2 or 3 days that there have been so many VPN users. Just got a very laggy Huntress Russian match. Can this be fixed? It's really hurting the game and it's really making a lot of people angry

Answers

• Puffieball
    Puffieball Member Posts: 64

I honestly didn't know people were doing this until a few days ago. I do play on PS4 though so I'm not sure if it just affects PC or all systems. I can definitely see the frustration though based off some videos I've seen of where there was lag and they were sure it was a vpn.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

It might be because people have been exposing this method being possible, which leads to more people who didn't realise you could do it, do it.

For what it's worth, the devs are looking into different ways to address this, one of which is server-sided validation on hits.

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063

Had a match once where a salty player somehow traced my location down to the city and made some serious threats. Obviously I reported the hell out of this player, but ever since then I use a VPN to keep that kinda crap from happening. Seriously, some people are either mentally unstable or just have no chill when they lose, and its not worth risking my families safety over a damn video game. Making baseless threats and berating me with verbal abuse in chat is something I can easily handle, but going to the effort of tracing my location and making it part of the threat? That's seriously messed up. Just think about those people who got hurt because of SWATTING a few years ago... I'm not putting my family through that just because I wanted to have fun online.

I don't know about why others are doing it, but for me, that had me spooked and rightfully pissed off. I don't even have any social media accounts, and I keep my user profiles clear of any information that could help them trace me, so I have only a few theories as to how that individual pulled it off. I have kids, and that ######### wasn't funny.

• Liannet
    Liannet Member Posts: 86

I have to use VPN cuz I have "rank update error" :(

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

I actually got a few myself but it was a couple/few weeks back. I was confused what even was happening because it just looked like extreme lag, where I would get him from a distance, and then I saw a video where a player was going against what they described as "a VPN-ing killer," and then it all made sense to me.

After I saw that, I pretty much made up my mind that VPNing is borderline cheating.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

Because it gives you an in-game advantage and there’s no punishment for doing it. That’s more than enough for some people.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,331

Alot of people might just be using VPN's for the sake of internet security.

• DartRunner
    DartRunner Member Posts: 20

Not an excuse xD I have rank update error after 95% of my matches but you push through it. it doesn't affect bloodpoint gain so it's fine

• ich_häng_mal_rum
    ich_häng_mal_rum Member Posts: 435

I think using VPN is a kind of cheating. It’s the same as before p2p with lagswitcher, it’s absolutely no fun to go against a killer who can hit you in a safe spot and you get a hit over a drop palette or something like that.

• DartRunner

I think if you use a VPN it should at least be in the country that you are in, not all the way across the world ;-;

• DartRunner
  • Puffieball
    Puffieball Member Posts: 64

That makes sense. It sucks that that is another issue now to deal with.

• 5thPerkSlot
    5thPerkSlot Member Posts: 395

VPN is used by banned hackers to change their IP so probably banned users with new accounts

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

Pretty sure the "VPN users" the post is referring to are the ones that are super laggy and playing from a completely different side of the world. I don't think anybody would even notice if somebody from NA was using a VPN and still playing in their servers. Maybe I'm just too ignorant of how VPNs work, but I don't imagine somebody playing in their own area while just using a VPN would be hitting from a distance or lagging out just because of the VPN.

• Fiv55
    Fiv55 Member Posts: 350

they dont ban by IP. It changes (at least in my country) every 24hrs, some people get 1 IP / month. They ban the HWID of your pc components.

Also: using a VPN itself is fine, if its done within your own country. Using a VPN to play against people around the world with a high ping is not okay.

• LordGlint

Alot of times lag is just a thing and "VPN" is just the new hot word people are using to explain things. You wouldnt BELIEVE the amount of times I was called a lagswitcher back in the day when something doesnt look right on the other person's screen.

• DartRunner

I mean. The guy was from Russia and it said he lived in Russia.

• LordGlint

The person's steam bio doesnt really mean much. I can throw some japanese characters on my steampage and change it to say Japan, but that doesnt mean I'm ACTUALLY there. Alot of weebs do that, lol.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

There's a difference between VPNing to a nearby city or even the country next door or something for privacy purposes and VPNing to India or something from America to use the Force to hit survivors or whatever.

• PassarinoT
    PassarinoT Member Posts: 910

I literally have no idea. The thing for me is this, when I play in the day, I get no VPN players but my friends are offline so I painfully solo queue and killer queues are too long in the day. But at night, when my friends are online, I ALWAYS get VPN killers from korea or somewhere distant. It is SO frustrating when a ghostface hits me across a pallet that has been down for 3+ seconds and I have not vaulted, then shakes his head yes at me as if he won fairly.

• DartRunner

Yeah that's weebs. That's a whole 'nother breed of people. These are Russians 100%

• MasterGrit
    MasterGrit Member Posts: 331

VPN or Match making

I got red ping every lobbies.

Im from Thailand but i got match with US or some .... and they tell me Im using vpn. Im not using any vpn. What the

Lol good job server

(Sorry for bad English)

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,951

Bingo, seeing this a lot lately. I just hope the server-side hit validation isn't going to take a year to be implemented. That should be a major priority for the development team.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

Kelly and Pablo for Ash please.