Angry Survivors claimed they reported me for poor sportsmanship

Options
AvisDeene
AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396
edited May 2020 in General Discussions

So, I just got finished with a match where I demolished an obvious swf with Trapper equipped with Bloody Coil. Two gens pop soon after and I manage to get someone in the basement. Since it was in the shack, I trapped every entry point and left.

A Kate beckons me to chase her and I humor her for 15 seconds, then I see scratch marks leading to the shack. I abandon the chase and rush to follow poor Bill who steps right into the trap at the pallet. He gets put in the basement too. I ended up 4king and was prepared for the salt in the endgame chat, but no matter what, I write ggwp. Then I get cussed out so I respond GGEZ.

Now I have 4 people who claimed to report me for responding with GGEZ as poor sportsmanship to their cursing at me. I'm not too worried about it since I don't think the moderators would do anything since they can see the chat, but I am curious, how bad does one have to be in chat in order to get banned?

I have had people wish my mother got the corona virus, for me to kill myself, someone tried to intimidate me into giving them my phone number in order to put me in my place, hoped my family would die, and all sorts of things. I never really reported anything since I just chalk it up to a bunch of angry teens venting, but now I think if there is serious repercussions for that, I will start reporting every one of them.

Comments

• alaenyia
    alaenyia Member Posts: 646
    Options

I gotta be honest bro if you are getting this kind of end-game chat I think you should take a long look at your playstyle. I never get this kind of stuff. Maybe the GGEZ crap, but no one has ever wished harm on me or my family outside of the game. And I assume if you are reported enough you could get a penalty but I am not sure on that front.

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903
    Options

HONESTLY GG EZ BB KILLER and GG EZ are crappy things to say. I would call you using it a poor sport, but I wouldn't report for unsportsmanlike, unless you went even further denigrating people's game play. In the aspect of you being a poor sport I'd agree, reportable? probably they didn't do anything more than posture, but if they did just the unsporting conduct call (the far right) then it'll probably be ignored with a look at the chat log.

• AvisDeene
    Options

Thank you very much, your post has been very helpful❤️. I will be sure to report them from now on.

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903
    Options

you got baited into something unsporting. the fact you used it as a response makes you a poor sport in this. again I do not agree that being a poor sport is unsportsmanlike. but even after a ggwp you should have gone with your instinct. I was called a racist because someone said that I made them sick, my response was their name made me sick "poop"something was their name, and then the racist comment against me. I reported that myself, and it continued from dbd to steam, to twitch gotta love it!

• alaenyia
    alaenyia Member Posts: 646
    Options

If it is rampant for you it is probably not them. Do you just think they all have horrible personalities and you have done nothing to draw this wrath your direction? I will say that I do not play killer late at night, generally I get my killer dailies and rift stuff done during the day because that is when I have time. But I also don't camp, tunnel and slug which I assume helps me not have to deal with death threats.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

As a survivor main, yes, I think they all have horrible personalities. To them, losing is enough of a reason to wish death upon someone. Stop blaming the victim.

OP, when this happens, remember these three steps:

1. Report
    2. Ignore
    3. Move on

Don't react, just help them get themselves banned. People like that are not welcome in video games.

• AvisDeene
    Options

Then you don't play Killer as much as I do at night. Even if I do camp, tunnel (which all have counters) or slug, it is no excuse to ever wish death or terminal illnesses upon others. There is nothing wrong with doing any of the aforementioned actions either. None of those actions should ever draw that kind of wrath in the first place. If I wanted to play that way, it is my choice, and no one other than the developers have any right to tell me how I should play. Do SWFs care if the Killer have fun? No, they don't, why should the Killer go out of their way to entertain the Survivors?

For the record, I only camp or tunnel when there is 1 gen left, the Survivors are super altruistic or when it is super obvious that the opposing team is much better than me-which which is often the case since I am only rank 11 and keep getting put up against rank 1-5s.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Options

Just laugh and ignore them. I got reported the other day for farming with 2 survivors. One survivor was afk the whole game and I had the team beat quite early so I decided to farm some points with the other 2 survivors. Brought survivor pudding so I didn't want to waste any Bloodpoints. Let one survivor live since I felt bad and she actually looped me quite well to start the game.

So moral of the story is survivors get salty when they lose and create excuses to explain them being bad at the game lol

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

Yeah you should definitely report people wishing death on you/your family or calling you slurs in post game chat or elsewhere. Angry teens or not they clearly don't have the maturity to be playing PvP games if that's their response to losing.

• Vox_Nocturne
    Vox_Nocturne Member Posts: 545
    Options

Regardless what the OP playstyle is, no playstyle should have a response where the opponents start wishing them or their family dead. There is no excuse, and putting this absurd behaviour on OP's way of playing - as a couple of people have - is completely illogical. If you're peeved at the way someone plays, just move on and learn from it.

Any comments which are rascist, threatening or otherwise should always be reported. This is a fun game, and really people need to be encouraging others post-game, than detracting.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,288
    Options

Considering stuff that boils down to "ur bad lol" isn't bannable it's honestly ridiculous that people still go into rulebreaking territory. If they really wanted to be annoying they could probably get away with quite a lot (like the classic ggez, calling people awful and trash at the game and in general mocking people for their performance for example) without getting banned for it. Yet some people simply can't stay away from slurs, threats and other stuff that's against the rules in the vast majority of games out there.

In the end of the day invalid reports are just that though, and nothing to worry about. Not sure if someone making trash reports constantly might end up getting punished themselves but the most attention they'll ever get is probably someone rolling their eyes as another "t-they camped/tbagged me pls ban!!" report rolls in.

• BigBubs
    BigBubs Member Posts: 1,131
    edited May 2020
    Options

The mods will not ban you because they can see the chat? Dude , you can say GGEZ right after the game ended without any provocation and add a lot of stuff to it and not get banned as long as there's no profanity or some real nasty stuff.

These people thinking they can just report bomb and get people banned is hilarious.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,545
    Options

Its so funny, you can play a fair game, only say gg, then when you look back at chat after staring at perks or your emblems, you come back to slurs, homophobic remarks, and all kinds of foolishness.

One time I had a dude stalk my steam profile to find things to harass me about. Girl I wont get offended by anything that's on my steam profile, I put it up there on purpose.

• Xzan
    Xzan Member Posts: 907
    Options

Saying gg wp first as the winner can be seen as provocation. "I won, you lost. Good Game!"

But there is no excuse for death threats and insults .

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984
    Options

Honestly, I do believe it's down to playstyle. I play mostly killer and only get the odd salty person once every 10-15 games. Think about what happened in your game - the first person got hooked in the basement and never stood a chance at getting out. In an attempt to rescue them the second one got placed there as well, at which point there was nothing the survivors could do. It's not like they didn't give you a reason to leave - as you said one of them gave you a free chase which you chose to abandon in order to make sure the person in the basement did not get rescued. Although this playstyle will ensure your win, it is very infuriating to go against and probably extremely boring for most survivors. The ggwp at the end was probably perceived as you trying to rub salt in the wound, as I bet at least 2 of the survivors didn't even get 10k bloodpoints from that match.

Obviously, none of that excuses the survivors' behaviour in the end game chat, as two wrongs never make a right, and their silly comments about reporting you demonstrate that they are probably children who don't know any better. With that said though, it does explain what triggered them to behave in such a way.

At the end of the day it's completely your choice how you play, but based on your choice you should also expect people to behave in a certain way after your games are over.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,601
    Options

First of all, you must lie. I learned in this forum that nobody can win vs SWF.

Second, as someone else also wrote, I can confirm I almost never get messages like that. Yesterday I got a "reported for lag" from a 160 Ping-guy (I think I was not the problem..), but thats about it.

Third, they were angry. They want to vent. Just ignore it. Better to ignore it than to do the same and heat it up.

• Accullla
    Options

I think you might have missed the point in the comments you've referred to. I don't think any if them condone that sort of behaviour. What they did is give OP information about what triggers it, so he himself can understand how to avoid it. Trolls will be trolls and you can't change that, but as we know based on experience, your own behaviour acts as a trigger to them. If you don't mind dealing with the insults, then play however you like and just report them. Otherwise, just be wholesome yourself and you'll find that the attempted abuse on the other end will subside significantly. I almost never get salt from survivors or someone disrespecting me in-game and I refuse to believe that it's because i'm just lucky and get matched with wholesome survivors consistently, because of my region, platform and so on.

• Tiersis
    Tiersis Member Posts: 259
    Options

I see the problem here.

You're angry that OP didn't follow the "Survivors rulebook for killers". Remember killers, if you want to have the survivors not be horribly toxic in the endgame lobby, follow these simple rules!

1. Killers must let survivors escape if someone leaves the match early.
    2. If you use any perks at all, your trash and will be ridiculed.
    3. You must immediately run to the farthest point on the map after hooking someone, ignoring anyone who attempts to rescure said person on a hook.
    4. Under no circumstance are you permitted to attack, chase, or otherwise infringe on the actions of the last person to be unhooked.
    5. If you down someone, you must hook them right away at the closest available hook, and then refer to rule number 3.
    6. You may never use Moris.
    7. You may never use addons that give you an advantage.

I'm sure I'm missing some, but that should help you avoid the three year old like tantrums that happen in post game chat.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,213
    Options

Actually, yeah, i think a lot of them have horrible personalities.

When i play killer, i get those comments no matter if i camped or not, no matter if i 0k or 4k. I started useing tunneling and camping, because survivors insult you anyway. But if they die one after another, half of them is gone when the game ends. But in theory, you could think i am biased, because the comments are aimed at me.

But i am a survivor main, and play mostly Survivor. And i see those comments a lot from my fellow teammates, even on killers who go out of their way to NOT tunnel and everything. What plattform do you play on?

• Vox_Nocturne
    Vox_Nocturne Member Posts: 545
    Options

Fair point, well made. I probably got minorly triggered as it could perhaps be seen as a justification for what those guys did, rather than just examining the possibilities. My apologies.

• Khallaria
    Khallaria Member Posts: 73
    Options

You're aware you're victim shaming right? "You should look at how you're dressed if you're going to complain about getting groped." While one situation is obviously more severe it's the same mentality.

• Accullla
    Options

It's very difficult to take meaning from a somewhat ambiguous online post without knowing the person writing it and being able to assess things like tone of voice, body language and so on. It's entirely possible that I'm wrong and those people were indeed trying to justify the survivors's actions by using OP's playstyle as an excuse. You have absolutely no reason to apologise. I just wanted to offer a different perspective, because I did sense some annoyance on your part, which might well be due to simply misunderstanding people's motivation for writing what they did.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213
    edited May 2020
    Options

LMAO are you kidding?

There is nothing anyone can do in this game that gives anyone else the right to verbally assault them and put them down. It doesn't matter how "scummy" they play or how much they "troll", its a game and it doesn't matter how upset or frustrated it makes you it doesn't give you the right to fire off insults and threats.

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522
    edited May 2020
    Options

I get reported at least daily.

It's called, "playing killer".

I even got some more friendly comments on my profile last night! One angry guy called me a camper even though I hooked two other people before coming back and re-hooking him. Poor fella just kept running into walls!

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358
    Options

Ive been tunneled, slugged, morid off first hook, constantly hit while on hook, pick a toxic killer behavior, and I have been on the receiving end of it. What i haven't done is wished bodily harm, or death on the killer or the killer's family, or lashed out with vile name calling.

So yes, those that do, have horrible personalities and deserve to be banned. Ive taken on a zero tolerance policy. Well a 1% tolerance anyway. If i get an ez or something like that i reply with ggwp. Anything beyond that i think is borderline rule breaking gets reported.

We don't tolerate this crap IRL and we shouldn't have to deal with it in a hobby. If people can't deal with adversity and situations that don't go the way they want, then they need to go back to grade school and learn how to socialize in a healthy way.

This is a game rated for mature people. It's time we enforced that policy.

P.S. - I personally don't give a damn about what some stranger somewhere says about me. It doesn't bother me if they theeaten me or my family. I can ignore it. Why i report is because they shouldn't exect to be able to act like that with no consequences.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Kinda agree. Most people that threaten you in game aren't truly like that. There just annoyed something didn't go their way which is normal.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340
    Options
  • Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

So if I were to go on a murder spree because my BF dumped me, you'd defend me by saying I was "venting anger"? Or are you willing to admit that maybe there's a limit to what can be reasonably justified by "venting anger"?