Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Unpopular opinion: Slugging is an issue.

Frankie
Frankie Member Posts: 807
edited May 2020 in General Discussions

I don't play a lot of survivor. Mostly challenge only. I tend to watch a lot of killer streamers, though.

I slug, when it's necessary to slug. Like, 3 gens popped and I need to put on some pressure. Then I'll slug. But I do think when I watch a killer go into a game with Nurse/Billy/Oni with sloppy/knockout/infectious, and just slug everyone early on, it's a problem, and something needs to be done about it.

I'm not talking about unbreakable - it's one time use, and doesn't remedy the problem. No mither doesn't remedy the issue either. Just like a lot of things BHVR does, it's not well thought out.

I feel like an option should be given to just accelerate the bleed out. Maybe do something like the 4% hook escape; but make even make it less than 4% where you can attempt to get up yourself and have a 2% chance, but if you fail you just bleed out. Either way, BHVR rambles on and on about the "new player" experience; well there ya go. No new player will stick around to sit on the ground for 4 minutes.

Comments

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

There's only 3 perks I currently have an issue with and it's Pop/Infectious/OoO.

I think for killers who have instadowns/fast at downing in general it's so easy to pop infectious on and slug 2/3 people at a time leaving one person to save everyone or the survivors hopefully having Unbreakable on.

The way I see it, if survivors ending matches in 5 minutes or less is a problem, so is killers doing it. But then you get the "if survivors are down in 5 minutes they made mistakes" it can simply be in the wrong place at the wrong time and being caught in that infectious fright that ends the team.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

It is possible for someone can play the same role as you and still disagree with your opinions about certain mechanics, as well as empathising with those who find those mechanics unenjoyable. It doesn't make them a liar.

• MrBuffalo
    MrBuffalo Member Posts: 312

Where did he say that survivors have less advantages?

He's talking about an issue thats pretty common issue thats happening within the game.

He just suggested some ways that could fix the issue and you say he isnt a "Killer Main"

• Xerge
    Xerge Member Posts: 928
    edited May 2020

See, the thing is thay you can't view each issue separetly because the game is more than just the sum of its parts (yeah, I agree with holism). With that being said, aren't killers supposed to apply pressure to counter a genrush in the game's current state? I'm not saying that slugging isn't an issue, what I'm saying is that it might be a symptom of a more complex problem, seeing it from a holistic perspective.

• EntityDrudge
    EntityDrudge Member Posts: 184

Yes but at a certain point logic has to come into play here. Or else what are doing. He attempted to add more relevance to his statement by saying he was a killer main. So it is perfectly fine to challenge that fact.

• Frankie

This. I actually am a killer main; and I don't need to slug to get the job done; but maybe I should clarify, I am specifically talking about slugging before a gen has been done. It's just ridiculous.

• Frankie
    edited May 2020

Your logic would be valid...actually, no it wouldn't, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say it would, if you looked at my post history and seen how pro killer I am, and the numerous times I've fought on killer issues. But okay, sure. I used it this one time for relevance. Except...I didn't. I didn't even say I was a killer main in the original post. What's that you say? You lost your logic? Yeah, that's what I thought, boyo. Please, exit the thread and do your due diligence, then come back. Okay pumpkin?

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

I never understood the problem with slugging

If a killer downs you and hooks you, you have to wait for a teammate to come get you

If a killer downs you and slugs you, you still have to wait for a teammate to come pick you up, it's exactly the same

The only difference i see is that you didn't lose a hook state and the killer gained pressure. A cost for an effect for the killer

I just really don't understand what the problem is with this tactic? It extends the gametime and isn't that what we want?

• Listen, Slugging is a choice and Games are about making choices, You are ALREADY getting a new perk tool to deal with slugging next patch.

You cannot seriously be talking about limiting Killer choices more at this time?

You just don't want to use Unbreakable because it's not always slugging happens, hehe. Put on the perk Champ, dont be a chicken-wuss.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

I wouldn't say it's that unpopular of an opinion.

• Frankie

Apparently you either didn't read the post or were incapable. Either way, I urge you to either learn to, or actually read it. I said nothing about limiting choices.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

There are two different types of slugging you failed to separate.

The first is when you slug for pressure. This is fine, and is a great slow down tool killers have.

The second is to slug, just to let them bleed out. I consider this toxic, and have suggested a 'suicide' option in the past. If you're at half of the bleed out timer or less, you can simply give up and die, moving on to another match.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425
    edited May 2020

I don't really see slugging as a problem. It's an alternative win condition with it's own strengths and weaknesses.

The reason why its running a little more rampant now is because killers are tired of dealing with all the second chance perks that come with hooking someone, which is an actual problem in the game right now. Slugging them there's only 2 (Adrenaline, Unbreakable), about to be 3 with this next patch. Technically 4 if you count no mither, but I don't think most people do.

I don't think Infectious should work with 1-shots, so that could be an avenue to explore possibly, rather than changing slugging as a whole and nerfing killers in general.

• Frankie
    edited May 2020

I literally specified slugging at the beginning of the game. "There's one thing you failed to read" - and it was the OP.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    edited May 2020

Clearly. It's why they have three perks to counter it (or will when Chapter 16 goes up).

Now I hate people who just slug and let them bleed out, but that is rather in the minority as killers go, and not a necessity to adress.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Not really?

'...and just slug everyone early on' isn't descriptive enough. Sometimes I'll slug the first person I down in a match if I see a better target. I may even slug two if I see a third healing the first. I don't aim for them to bleed out, but opportunities present themselves, I need to take them. Slugging can be a lot more powerful than hooking when used right. Does that mean I'm playing badly?

If you said 'just slug everyone early on and force a bleed out,' then we'd be talking. It's the bleed out with no intention of ending it that is toxic.

• EntityDrudge
    EntityDrudge Member Posts: 184

You literally said "I don't play a lot of survivor."

Using our thinking caps we can assume 50/50 is still a lot. So since you said you don't do that, a lot thing, it has to be under that. Which would then put you playing killer on the greater than 50% side. Which wait for it, would make that your main or go to side. So yes my friend, you did say you are a killer main. And you doubled down on it just now by citing your killer sided post history. jesus

• Frankie

Oh okay. Something that couldn't be taken any other way isn't descriptive enough.

Honestly, bud. Reach further. It's DBD. Early on means early on. Games are short. Good lord.

• Frankie

I never said I was a killer main; and that doesn't even invalidate that you were too intent on looking witty to look at my post history and see "Oh, wait, he's not just saying it for status.". You were in the wrong here, period.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

I'm completely not against slugging, since it's high risk-high reward and requires a good amount of skill and luck, but I understand the frustration (and boredom) from staying on the ground for minutes waiting to die.

Personally I like the addition of a small chance to recover, since that makes it more spicy for both roles, but most importantly there should be a way to give up if it takes too long. 4 minutes is a very long time and if the killer doesn't have BBQ or Deerstalker the risk of not being found at all is high.

• Ghostwithaface
    Ghostwithaface Member Posts: 594

Yeah the most common type of slugging would be the first. Leave you down, due to seeing someone else nearby or to chase off someone with a flashlight or who could possibly drop a pallet on them, before picking you up. Which would just be common bloody sense. That or in the case of Oni, well getting two people down, is better than one and your power is limited, so well. Two is better than one.

Yeah the second one is a totally different thing, if done willingly. Since sometimes there is the sound bug that happens, where a survivor makes no noise while on the ground or crawls off some where and the killer has no idea where the heck they when. So they end up dying on the ground, while the killer is busy searching for them or only finds them after they almost bled out. Which is funny enough the case with the video below and the last survivor.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

With no gens done I don't think slugging is right unless it's oni and his power relies on slugging but you need to charge it first, but like I always say, slugging is high risk high reward meaning you can risk too much and do great or risk too much and lose because survivors punished you

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    edited May 2020

Not if you don't have any basis on which to challenge it aside from the fact that he has an opinion which you don't think a "real" killer main would ever have. If there is a logical reason why his argument doesn't add up, then by all means challenge it, but what you've presented so far isn't logic, it's just your own presumption. Assuming that someone is lying without any basis for believing that they are aside from prejudice doesn't promote constructive discussion, it stunts it.

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,684

Closed as OP asked.

This discussion has been closed.