This LGBT talk.

Look, I fully support LGBT, have a few gay/ bi friends and my 2 ex's were bi. But please. Consider everything here. Having an LGBT shirt or hoodie in game is fine.

But no more than that should be considered. If they add an LGBT character, next argument is "There isnt enough representation of LGBT, we want more characters". All I've been hearing lately is "Who is the most LGBT character, do you think there should be one". The answer is no. And heres my reason.

YOU ARE the survivor. I'm straight and I play Nea, so Nea is straight for me. You are gay, bi, trans and ye play Jane. So Jane for ye are these. They represent YOU as the player. Support and celebrate is fine. But if they start making characters based off this, this'll kill what little left that this game as a year down the line, half the roster will be changed to LGBT. Either by changing their archive backstory or by making new ones. Same as with anything. If you are a feminist, masochist, nymphomaniac, whatever. Then your survivor is too. Just some food for thought.

Comments

• PodgeNotRodge
    PodgeNotRodge Member Posts: 478

No I get that. What I mean is for those that have nothing specific mentioned yet can be meddled with. Yes it wont effect gameplay, but itll effect the integrity and respect for this game.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557

All good, they will probably take one of the least played toons, like Adam for example and confirm he is gay and that will be it. I plan on p3ing him, and will continue to do so even if he is gay, I like playing the toons no one else plays LOL

• PodgeNotRodge
    PodgeNotRodge Member Posts: 478

Sorry man, trust me. I know xD just getting annoying how this is even a thing is my problem but yeah.

• Name_Unavailable
    Name_Unavailable Member Posts: 519

I agree, I always said Behaviour was smart for making their characters open for all possibilities, This person ship these two together or other think her main is a lesbain, and fanart everywhere. This is how should stayed tbh.

Anyway they should at least make a new character for this. Im Ace main, I hope he survive this. but im afraid...

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

You're acting like fan art and fan fiction aren't made regardless of what the actual lore is. Have you read fan fiction or looked at fan art?

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,710

Why the need for yet another thread with this topic? There were already enough and this one doesn’t bring anything new to the table.

ace is actually one of the chars that was at least heavily hinted at being a „ladies man“ in his cosmetic descriptions. But if you think the char would not „survive“ if confirmed not to be straight then you really got issues...

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522
    edited June 2020

I never really understood this argument. Figures in the media don't "represent" me just because they have the same skin color, gender, orientation, etc as me. Rich straight white dudes living in Hollywood so far from my reality and life that they're less representative of me than a middle class black gay woman would be.

Maybe I'm just not interested in the concept of being "represented" by fictional characters or as a factor of my physical identity. I'm as lily white as they come and Barack Obama "represented" me better than any of the white presidents in previous decades.

That said, if a character being officially gay makes someone happy, then that's great. More power to them, I won't complain. It literally affects nothing for me because it's not me in any way.

• Bovinity

What are you "afraid of"?

It's a fictional character. It's not you. It doesn't represent you. It doesn't affect you.

You won't become gay if Ace does.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

You can play a character that's a different sexuality from you. LGBT people have been having to do it for decades! There are several games with romance, and no LGBT option. I'm not sure why you need to play Nea as straight. Does she only save male characters? Does she have a romance blooming with another character? How do you play DBD with a character as 'straight'? Why is it that people say "I support X, but..." and that but always undercuts any support they have or show for the people they claim to support?

• coppersly
    coppersly Member Posts: 2,318

Personally it's not about finding myself in those characters, it's about having a character that shares similar struggles or has similar traits. I don't have a lot of those kinds of characters to point to and say "I've been through that struggle" or to see something you went through be part of a characters arc, it's just nice to see those things.

• xiozen
    xiozen Member Posts: 61

To have an open mind and be considerate of the fact that anyone playing this game will do a little "rp" (role-playing); perhaps that can't be helped. However, the devs looking to expand the character rosters relationships to a new level (unexplored) is both welcomed and a great reflection of what has been missing in main stream games. Not many game companies take the time to recognize (truly recognize) the diversity of gamers out there... and to at least place some representation in their product that gamers can relate to.. is truly magnificent.

To each his/her own; this isn't for everyone--because if your straight, you've generally had it "your way" in almost all media--can't really say the same thing for anyone who identifies as LGBTQ+... I welcome any of these diversity changes.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

So if I play a sexy cat lady on FFXIV .......then I become a sexy cat lady irl?

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Yes, 100%. That's why my most played games are Black & White and Black & White 2.

• Bovinity

If it does work that way, let me know.

For, uh...science....