The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

I hate the spirit's grunts

JetJenkins
JetJenkins Member Posts: 14
edited September 2018 in General Discussions

Sorry I can't give my opinions in the form of constructive criticism, but she really sounds like she was voiced by some intern for no reason. Her 3D model is brilliantly done, and her animations are by far the game's most impressive, but they're all ruined by her cartoony "NYAHH! I'M GONNA GET YOU GUYS ÒWÓ" noises. I liked it much much better when all the sounds she made came from an actual actress.

Comments

• CoolAKn
    CoolAKn Member Posts: 677

Just so you know the voice of the Spirit is a mod on this forum.

• JetJenkins

@CoolAKn said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned the character from potentially scary to just dumb all in the name of nepotism. They kinda did that with doctor and his stupid laugh, but this is just clownshoes.

• redsopine1
    redsopine1 Member Posts: 1,437

@CoolAKn said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned the character from potentially scary to just dumb all in the name of nepotism. They kinda did that with doctor and his stupid laugh, but this is just clownshoes.

Dude dont want to worry you but the clown is right behind you (sorry but my mind went to that as a meme thing)
  • vendalwind
    vendalwind Member Posts: 23

I agree I hate the spirits weirdly loud groans.

• SovererignKing
    SovererignKing Member Posts: 1,273
    Female shrieks would have been better. Hell, I would have liked the Nurses screeches. 
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@JetJenkins said:

@CoolAKn said:

The voice is actually one of the Community Managers and has worked directly with the dev team. It's not "nepotism" so much as it is "she's an employee of sorts". They're not gonna hire voice actors from outside the team.

• JetJenkins

@Orion said:
    They're not gonna hire voice actors from outside the team.

I don't see why not. Seems like the sensible thing to do when your team has no actors left.

• Orion

@JetJenkins said:

@Orion said:

I don't see why not. Seems like the sensible thing to do when your team has no actors left.

As far as I know, this CM had never voiced anyone before. According to your own logic in this comment, she was therefore the best choice.

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320

Yeah not_queen did the voice for her. They also probably manipulated the audio recordings of it, cause it doesn't sound like her. They need to re-manipulate them.

• Orion

@TheBean said:
    Yeah not_queen did the voice for her. They also probably manipulated the audio recordings of it, cause it doesn't sound like her. They need to re-manipulate them.

Pretty sure all Killer voice "lines" are manipulated.

• TheMidnightRidr
    TheMidnightRidr Member Posts: 599

I know I am in the minority, but I like it. It's unique. Plus, hearing the constant whooshing and ghostly moans while she's chasing you is a nice touch, though it can get annoying when you are playing her and waiting for a lobby.

• Zetara
    Zetara Member Posts: 31
    Her sounds reminds me of the zombies from COD. 
  • Orion

@TheMidnightRidr said:
    I know I am in the minority, but I like it. It's unique. Plus, hearing the constant whooshing and ghostly moans while she's chasing you is a nice touch, though it can get annoying when you are playing her and waiting for a lobby.

I think they sound a bit "cartoon-y", if that makes sense, but I like them as well.

• McCree
    McCree Member Posts: 294

I hate em tbh

• JetJenkins

@Orion said:

@JetJenkins said:

@Orion said:

As far as I know, this CM had never voiced anyone before. According to your own logic in this comment, she was therefore the best choice.

Yeah, even though she's neither an actress nor from outside the team. Nice try, though.

• cetruzzo
    cetruzzo Member Posts: 323
    it was better in the PTB
  • Orion

@JetJenkins said:

@Orion said:

@JetJenkins said:

@Orion said:

Yeah, even though she's neither an actress nor from outside the team. Nice try, though.

None of them are trained actors. They became (voice) actors by virtue of voicing characters. Nice try, though.

• BasementBubba
    BasementBubba Member Posts: 49

If the shrieks weren't used so frequently I wouldn't have a problem with it, but them appearing every 30 seconds is definitely ear-piercing.

• paramourn
    paramourn Member Posts: 8

It sounds too harsh, and needs sort of an ethereal tone to it. They should rework it to soften them. With such a "flowy, feminine" type killer, her voice is out of character. It sounds more like a Hag voice than a Spirit. Other than that, I love this killer and think she's incredibly unique.

• Jed
    Jed Member Posts: 254

Yeah she looks cool and scary but the first time I heard her in a match I just laughed. Haven't had that reaction with any other killer...even the clown (which I hate).

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

@JetJenkins said:
    Sorry I can't give my opinions in the form of constructive criticism, but she really sounds like she was voiced by some intern for no reason. Her 3D model is brilliantly done, and her animations are by far the game's most impressive, but they're all ruined by her cartoony "NYAHH! I'M GONNA GET YOU GUYS ÒWÓ" noises. I liked it much much better when all the sounds she made came from an actual actress.

To be fair I don't have experience with disgruntled ghost ladies chasing after me in real life but I would assume (unlike my second favorite hobby on the internet) they don't sound as pleasing when the moan and groan.

• BearTrapSnap
    BearTrapSnap Member Posts: 86
    After a day of using her I like it a lot now. Another user pointed out she sounds like a Deadite from the Evil Dead series. I love that so this is a shoe in.