Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Legacy and the corrupt data crisis - BHVR's response over the years

Pepsidot
Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

I made this video to highlight the fact that players (such as me) have still not received their lost legacy cosmetics back - some of which have been waiting for 4 years. Whenever asked, the Devs say they are looking into it... but no legacy cosmetics are ever returned. This issue is being 'forgotten' about so I wanted to make light of it by showing BHVR's response over the years.

We grinded through hundreds of hours for those cosmetics very early on in the game's life when many game breaking issues existed, such as 'infinites' - which WERE actually infinties back then!

BHVR, please return our legacy cosmetics to us!

Comments

• As far as I know, this is being solved by:

1. Mailing Customer Support.
    2. They verify the Old Data with your account.
    3. They send you the cosmetics if your accounts are able to be verified.

What more can they do?

• Pepsidot

Wish they would set up a system so we can send in proof.

I know many of us are fine with only receiving one of our sets of legacy back... and it can be confirmed via prestige achievements that we at least prestiged ONE character once/twice/three times before the cut off date. Yeah, steam achievements don't show which characters we prestiged but does that really matter? They show many times we prestiged. They all took the same amount of time to grind and we deserve to get something back after all these years...

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

i 100% agree with you.

after more than 2 years of not getting the legacys back i honestly pretty much gave up - though i AT LEAST want a good excuse / explanation for it BHVR!

• irvman
    irvman Member Posts: 10

Ooh that sucks dudes. I'm surprised y'all haven't given up. Hopefully you'll get them back at some point

• Gilby
    Gilby Member Posts: 19

I could see why people "find their ways" of putting these cosmetics in the game themselves.

• ohstoneyone
    ohstoneyone Member Posts: 1

As far as losing legacy items, I can't say that I was this unfortunate. I have been playing dbd since it's launch. I have however had my game lose everything, twice. At first, I just lost interest because of it. I finally started wanting to play again and started from scratch. At this point, I had about 900 hours logged in. Once I came back to play, the same damn thing happened again. I emailed the devs, and it took about a month. They rewarded me with roughly 39 million bps. I won't lie, I was pretty stoked about that. Hopefully you can get the same results. Have you tried getting into contact with them? Best of luck

• siren_sorceress
    siren_sorceress Member Posts: 321

Really too bad. I play daily and I never see legacy anymore. Idk what the point of legacy ever was if it's so rare it's practically non existent. Especially after the embarrassing bug that caused so many to lose theirs.

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620

Legacy was a reward when prestige characters was way harder.

• mUseSapphO
    mUseSapphO Member Posts: 3

When I first got the game on Xbox after release I saw so many with the legacy skins that I was curious how to get them. After looking in my inventory I discovered that I too had them but without the grind. Honestly I thought it was a perk for buying the game on xbox until I learned about the pc skins and how to obtain them. Of course I didn't complain about having them but why were they taken away? To my knowledge the data loss only affected pc but now knowing that it was probably a mistake that I received them, I can't relate to all that did grind for them. I feel so bad for all the time & work put into obtaining those skins! Why doesn't Behavior just re-issue the legacy skins for all that purchased the game before January 1, 2017? I mean honestly it's just a few free skins to loyal players/customers!

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

Honestly? People who lost legacy (even just 1 piece) deserve all legacy cosmetics on every character just for waiting over 3 years without getting it back. That's something I would accept as an apology. Everything else would feel like an insult to me.

• Pepsidot

Thanks for your comment. It really sucks to have lost the legacy cosmetics because I remember grinding for a stupid amount of time each day to get them. It feels really bad knowing the devs could do something about it, but they refuse to put in the effort and resources to resolve the issue.

Instead, from time to time we get blanket statements and nothing is done. If we email support we just get copy and pasted emails... we've had the same copy and pasted emails for 4 years!

Here's a snippet of the most popular copy and pasted email we get if we contact support:

• "I'm really sorry for the trouble. Although the lost Legacy Prestige skins are important, we can't address this issue right away. I assure you that your lost Legacy skins will be addressed in the future" ... "Thank you for your understanding."

Wish the devs cared. They said before legacy skins were released that they were a reward for those that went through the long grind. But maybe they've forgotten about that now. All those hours wasted when there was no point prestiging in the first place.

• siren_sorceress

Yes ik my point was they made the skin too exclusive and thus pointless bc you never see it anymore.

• Dr_doom_j2
    Dr_doom_j2 Member Posts: 869

I'm pretty sure Legacy wasn't even a thing anymore by the time DBD came to console

• felipao_brabo
    felipao_brabo Member Posts: 169

i just discovered Mathiue Cote is dwight

• WalkingNurse
    WalkingNurse Member Posts: 22

Yep. Even creepier is that bald dwight with beard and glasses is Puppers... like, almost exactly.

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547
    edited June 2020

They really want to keep on checking their owm data which is just dumb, proof is this, and personally I purchased rift tiers a day before the first rift ended, but then resulted that they made a mistake, so those who purchased tiers were able to ask for a refund.

My issue got ignored for two weeks, and they told me my account wasn't able to ask for it, then I realised I typed the ID wrongly, answered to the email, and they told me exacr the same thing, like a bot message. Ridiculous.

• Pepsidot

Yeah legacy came out when DBD was only available on the PC. So there is no possible way users can have legacy on other platforms unless they're hacking or if and when cross progression/play is implemented.

I actually see it whenever I play survivor. My brother has L3 Meg and always plays with me lol... feelsbadman. It's a constant reminder of my lost L3 Claud and Hillbilly!

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
  • WalkingNurse
    WalkingNurse Member Posts: 22

That may be, but he totally looks like video game Cote. It's all I see now.

• siren_sorceress

You see it every time bc your brother has legacy? Okaay the vast majority of us dont xD

• Pepsidot

Yeah... a couple of my friends have legacy. One of them lost it but they were able to replace their save file because they lost it before data was saved on dedicated servers. But I lost mine when data was stored on dedicated servers so was unable to use any of my backups I backed up over many months.

So yeah I'm always playing with legacy survivors lol... sad that I'm the only one in my friend group that lost it and was unable to recover it.

• Desh
    Desh Member Posts: 1,118

Oof, seems this post reached them due to current news.

• dadamek8
    dadamek8 Member Posts: 59

Well, I tried to contact the support basically every year since I lost my legacy Wraith and Claudette in June 2017. Unfortunatelly, every time I got the same response: "This issue will be adressed in the near future" or something like that. As I said in the other post, if they know it's impossible to restore the legacy items, they should just let us choose one legacy item for each of the three prestige achievements unlocked before 24 Nov 2016.

I know it's possible to be implemented. The game just needs to check if you unlocked any prestige achievement before 24 Nov. If yes, then it checks if you have at least one of the legacy items. If you don't, the game lets you choose one. The same thing for prestige 2 and 3. If it's too much work to implement it into the game, you can make it so that we can contact the Customer Support to do this for us.

• LegacyPls
    LegacyPls Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2020

Made a forum account just to post that I too lost my legacy prestige years ago and I try to send a support email every couple months. They have always given false hope usually something along the lines of "It's something that will be addressed at a later date", and after 4 years all we have is a spot on an FAQ list and as of today an apology on why this can't be bundled in with the other cosmetics. Which I don't understand why that was even being considered in the first place. I feel like the devs don't have the data to prove who actually earned the cosmetics. The only way to confirm is with steam achievements and having someone manually check each ticket because the first couple months of the game someone could award themselves every achievement in the game. It's easy to spot those that abused that cheat and those that got the achievements naturally. They simply refuse to put in the time and investment toward verifying every case. It's not worth the time investment for them because those who earned legacy prestige are a vast minority and even more so those that lost it. Unfortunately, we are an insignificant amount of players to focus resources on when they can achieve greater success (money or otherwise) by putting those resources elsewhere. I still hold on to hope, maybe on the fifth year anniversary we will get some news.

Also, thank you Pepsi dot for your time bringing this back to the forefront I enjoyed the video!

• Swissboy
    Swissboy Member Posts: 3

I don't want to be the Bummer here, but I have you guys to let know: You don't need to make any Threads or your Hopes up about it sadly. If you lost your Legacy you won't get it back, anytime again. They just posted it today here in case you didn't see it: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/164287

Also MandyTalk wrote in another Thread that they are unable to restore Legacy and won't make it open to the Community as a whole (https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/164242/did-they-change-their-mind-on-giving-out-event-exclusives/p1), I'm really sorry for those of you who lost it and waited for years :/

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

Eh, honestly legacy cosmetics are the only reason why some people cheat in the game. I wouldn't bother if they could make it available for everyone, also these already make characters easy to spot.

• Desh
    Desh Member Posts: 1,118

At least they finally came clean about it instead of leading everyone with a stick and carrot for the past 3-4 years. Ironically that as soon as this discussion was created, BHVR did seemingly a knee jerk reaction the next day.It took OP's hard work in putting all this evidence together for everyone to see.

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725

The irony of asking is it worth all the hustle and headache about something that was strictly compensation to make the old grind worth all the hustle and headache.

• LegacyPls
    LegacyPls Member Posts: 4

That post mentioned nothing about legacy never being returned. They said there was no way to verify who earned the 4 event cosmetics. They didn't say there was no way to verify who earned the legacy prestige cosmetics. The video proves there is a way to verify legacy prestige cosmetics (@2:17 in the video) and their solution to restore them.

MCote says in the video (@2:50) they are not looking for a "one on one case" solution. They are, unfortunately, looking for an overall solution which there isn't one. It has to be done ticket-by-ticket, or case-by-case but it seems like they are unwilling to do so.

• Swissboy
    Swissboy Member Posts: 3

"We are all too aware that users who earned Legacy and suffered a loss of progress will be incredibly disappointed with this news. To those users: we offer our deepest apologies and hope you understand why this decision has been made."

To me that sounds just like that, that those people will never get their Legacy back BECAUSE they refuse to make it available to the whole Community as a whole just like they do now with the Event Cosmetics and how they did with the Exclusive Codes from Pax etc, and all you get is their deepest apology. I am aware that they said after this Problem occured 4 Years ago that they need to do that Ticket by Ticket but since so many people still haven't gotten their Legacy back after 4 years of waiting, and now with this Post regarding Legacy, that just sounded a lot like "Those who lost it won't get it back ever since we aren't making it available for everyone because it's Legacy" basically, I just wanted to let those here know who are still waiting.

If after 4 long years almost noone got his lost Legacy back I just think they never will, that's all I'm saying, and letting others know who are still hoping. I don't mean to hate or anything, I love the Game to bits, it's just that Legacy was always like that and I know many people who still haven't gotten it back, that's why I think sadly those who were affected never will get it back again.

• irishbutcher
    irishbutcher Member Posts: 77

More people should see this post. I really hope one of the devs sees this video too. If it's impossible to return legacy to hundreds and hundreds of people, why not have a second wave of legacy that rewards one legacy piece for 3 devotions in a very limited time frame?

• irishbutcher

Small things like that to make up for it.

• irishbutcher

they only said they are sorry for those who lost it. they didnt say legacy is never returning or never given back to the people that lost it.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,444

Because they have said that multiple times in the past already. It will never come back.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328

This is exactly why they should just give all exclusives away.

• mUseSapphO
    mUseSapphO Member Posts: 3

Hence the comment "Now knowing that I shouldn't have even had them"... I know that console wasn't issued them... but how?

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

I've always found it weird that they can't reimburse people. I don't even want legacy gear. It's yellow and makes you easy to see. It's their game though. You'd think they'd have the autonomy to fix it. Weird they don't. If someone didn't earn it and got it for free when they gave them out, who cares? It's a weird direction to take, especially with known bugs out and about.

• Pepsidot

It is weird. You will see no Developers respond to suggestions such as giving 1 set of legacy back based on the player's prestige achievements. i believe I saw a post suggesting this idea last year too and that got no Developer response despite multiple Devs being 'mentioned'.

They don't want to give any further attention to the issue than they have to. A small statement here and there... a dev questioned on the subject on stream every few months or every year or so. They'll indicate that the data back then is unrecoverable... although steam prestige achievements were never lost and many players have proof they earned legacy. They kind of just hold onto that one excuse of data loss and never actually try to refund us. It's sad.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

I kind of wish console even had the chance to get it... but I hope you get it back.

• Mozzie
    Mozzie Member Posts: 618
    edited July 2020

Nevermind, mine have magically reappeared!

• MrFreakz111
    MrFreakz111 Member Posts: 1

@Deadbydaylight Hello... 

I have a few questions. I'm playing DBD on the PS4 platform and got already my moments and experiences with DBD. 

I'd like to know why there could be no other or similar „legacy event“ in the future where you can regain similar or perhaps almost the same outfits for the killer and survivor, because the active players of the console platform could never have the opportunity to unlock such outfits. I've already dealt with this subject a lot & I can understand the negative arguments.

But I don't understand that all the outfits were unlocked from the „The year of the Dog“ Event where you can got Special outfits like the hound mask for the huntress or the jacket for David King for EvErYoNe Years later, it feels like i waste my time because i played more hours for these Outfits and one year later every new beginner is running around with the mask today (and i know that there was a bug that caused some of these outfits to lose and there weren't many ways to solve this problem differently.

I just want to emphasise that maybe it's time to start a second legacy season)

That's why I ask the @devs to consider how fair it is to unlock event outfits for everyone, although all platforms could have participated in this event, but an event that had taken place in the initial phase of Dbd and the game was only AvAiLaBle to PC users never repeat, which I would annoy myself everytime I see the crossplay someone with legacy or some of my friends begin with Dbd and Tell Me that the mask now only represents a simple boring outfit.

That is not a hate comment or something like that, that is one of my questions because i play more that 3 years on ps4 and i want something that shows skill make ,for example a event were you have to kill a number of survivors to unlock a Outfit that looks like legacy or look just cool and maybe for every character or just a few.

I think something like this makes Dbd players happier than ever more new chapters that can never really be fully mature, as they will always cause another unequal weight in Dbd. 

At least it would make me happier...

Thank you for your Time.

• JLew
    JLew Member Posts: 160

Wow...i wish legacy would be a thing and i heard the old grind was insane and to lose all that time and effort just to be bugged out is infuriating....instead of actually just seeing your evidence they decide to be condescending tools and just keep dragging you along pretending they were actually doing something....ive learned in the past 3 years playing....that is their main method of operation....bs...bs...and more bs...good luck my man and great video...sorry u lost those hours

• Pepsidot

Personally I wouldn't mind future events with more 'exclusives'. But concerning legacy: I don't ever want legacy to be given out to everyone - only to be given to people who lost their legacy skins via a 1 by 1 basis.

I should mention I also never wanted the Howling Ground and BBQ skins to be given to everyone but BHVR did anyway. I also didn't really want the skins obtained from codes (from PAX etc) to be given out, but they were. So I wouldn't be surprised if BHVR gave out legacy to everyone anyway.

The Devs said that 1) They'll be using the timestamps from achievements to reinitiate legacy skins on people's accounts and on another occasion 2) Said that once the 'backend save files system' comes in, legacy prestige will be able to be refunded.

So... they essentially lied and led us on. Can't really think of another way to put it.

I agree with everything you said! The Developers use the excuse that they can't refund EVERYONE that lost legacy via an automated process because they lost that data. But what they could do is look at evidence on a 1 by 1 basis. They could have a look at achievements, video/screenshot evidence (and maybe even look at old save files some of us still have backed up!). And as you suggested, it would be easy to identify the blatant achievement hackers as lots of them would have impossible achievement dates (such as getting P1, P2 and P3 in the same minute).