Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

So do survivors lose their memories after every resurrection or not?

wisdomwielder
wisdomwielder Member Posts: 348
edited June 2020 in Lore

How do we have teachables then?

Granted, resetting survivors back to day one every time they die certainly makes logistic sense from the Entity's perspective, but it doesn't seem like that's what's happening in-game. How would survivors ever "go hollow" or whatever its called and be sent to the Void when they aren't useful to the Entity anymore? Most of the other lore doesn't seem to suggest that people are losing their memories all the time; in fact it suggests the opposite (Benedict's Journal, and again teachables). The only way I can see this explaining anything in-game is why the survivors we have now have managed to stick around for so long.

Post edited by wisdomwielder on

Comments

• Papayarng
    Papayarng Member Posts: 73

why would they? the perks are their memries and teachables is when they teach other survivors how to do things [like sprintin with sprint burst or healing faster with botany knowledge] If they lost their memory of what happend in the previous trial how would they improve? The survivors go hollow because of being tortured for so long so why wouldnt they remember?

• wisdomwielder
    edited June 2020

I suppose I should have included the tome entry that states this. I edited it.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited June 2020

I'm not gonna read that lore entry, I'm leaving everything until I finish all the story lines and then I'm just gonna sit and listen to them all at once for like 20 minutes. Just some context so that you know I'm not using that for reference or information

However, I remember from a certain dev stream or something that Dave Richard (creative director) said some or certain survivors wake up in every trial as if it were their first, having no memory. He never gave any specific examples so I think this was just a general statement that the realm of the entity affects different people differently. I think the group of survivors that we play as specifically aren't affected in this way, because teachables are a thing, as some other people have pointed out.

• Kai6864
    Kai6864 Member Posts: 377

Okay I might be going out on a whim here but let’s say for instance, that the survivors have their memories of every trial while at the campfire, that’s why teachables work. After being “resurrected” Into a trial, the survivor’s memory gets wiped so allow that fear to fester but once they enter the campsite, they can remember the pain, hence why some survivors are sent to the void. Why it’s called resurrection? Theory- all the survivors are actually dead- it would make sense as all we know is that survivors “disappear” from their own realms.

Alternately, it could work like a win streak. If the survivors escape, they retain their memories and they can teach their experiences, you get more bloodpoints for escaping so you can further your character’s abilities and perks. If the survivor dies, they get less experience (bloodpoints, not ingame exp) in the trials and improve less. Hence why it’s called “resurrection”, rising from the dead. This seems like the more plausible theory as whoever is doing the Blight experiments clearly remembers the pustula plants and how they can modify killers with them.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

I don't think so, or there's no chance any of them could repair a generator.

• wisdomwielder

The entry says the Entity "wipes the slate clean." That sounds like it means all memories, but they would have to figure it out eventually between all of them. They obviously interact and share knowledge. How many times are they going to explain to their buddy that they just died and lost their memory. How many times have they "met" each other lol. Are you telling me they don't have a way to record information like Benedict?

This is why I don't like this in terms of narrative. If every loses their memory after every death and is reset to day one, then no real narrative can take place and teachables don't make sense because it's just groundhog day except it's Hell and Bill Murray can't remember what he did yesterday. (Yes I like to think about possible stories that can take place in DBD, shoot me.)

Other than it just not making sense, I would prefer to believe that the memory of the death is fuzzy but they retain most of what has happened to them, but that's not what the Tome says 🤬

• Vox_Nocturne
    Vox_Nocturne Member Posts: 545

Is it that this entry is written by an unreliable narrator? Could this be some sort of assumption?

If not, it is difficult to confirm. For example: if they are wiped clean then why do survivors know where spawn points are? Why does the perk Deja Vu exist?

If The Entity does anything, perhaps it distorts time. Maybe it confuses survivors on how long they've been trapped, or maybe it creates a literal nightmare as a never-ending nightmare atmosphere, so survivors start to those sense of time and space - in effect become lost.

That entry is quite problematic.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

I generally just assume it's a Happy Death Day sort of situation, given how scary some survivors are. 🤣

• Kai6864
    Kai6864 Member Posts: 377

You might be right about the ability to record things down. Survivors are able to keep items in the campfire because we can stock up on items. Secondly, the toolbox add-on “Instructions” shows that writing on tree bark will not be erased so their might be ways for survivors to record their memories at the campfire. That would require something on the lines of what I suggested or like you suggested, the memories are there but hazy, maybe their memory of the killer gets erased. The survivors not knowing who they are up against, but knowing that they have to run for their lives would do the job of simulating fear each trial.

• Papayarng
    Papayarng Member Posts: 73

I guess i wasn't taking into account that they don't die every gmae so it could make sense if they lost the memories of the times when they died but kept the ones of when they survived. putting them in this false sense of security because they think that they have never died

• Khorzad
    Khorzad Member Posts: 143

My impression is that it only deletes the memory of dying, but they retain some memories of the rest of the trials, perhaps the more mechanical stuff, like totems or doing gens, but they don’t know that they did, so the Entity can savor their emotions. However, they still lose a bit of “hope” after each death, so even if they don’t remember, they start losing their emotions little by little, until they go into the Void.

Another explanation is that, in a previous tome, the Observer talked about how they were rare survivors that retained the memories after dying, and in some cases, went mad because of it:

Several Survivors went mad trying to escape the trial. They had with them memories of previous incarnations so that one Survivor began dashing his head against a wall convinced he was reliving a nightmare he had just escaped. The other Survivors drowned him in mud to shut him up. It seems to me Survivors are torches growing dimmer and dimmer with every trial. Some stop to feel altogether and are doomed to The Void. Others go raving mad and need to be silenced by others.

This could explain why Benedict retained his memories after death, as he was one of those “lucky ones” and thus could understand how the trial worked. In my opinion, I am not 100% convinced with the inclusion of the “memory delete” thing, because it takes a way a little of the horror of knowing that death is not an escape, but it made sense that the Entity would want them to think that every death is final.

• SpookyStabby
    SpookyStabby Member Posts: 621

Holy #########, that entry... I have barely unlocked any tome entries so I haven't read much(even though I'm SUPER into the lore) that is some dark #########. I'm also inclined to believe your theory on the phenomenon of death, resurrection and memories. I've felt that way about it since I first had a general idea of the premise of the game.

• wisdomwielder

Yea I forgot about that entry. I should probably go over the others again to see if there are any more clues, but your explanation seems the most inclusive of all of the information. It does seem like the memory wipe thing is imperfect (like many things the Entity does), so I suppose the survivors we play as are the strong ones who can retain most of their memories and have a lot of hope? Otherwise, again (beating this dead horse) teachables and a lot of things they learn to do in game don't make a lot of sense, plus they obviously interact with one another outside trials and can share information if need be. I suppose I'm just wondering on average how severe the memory loss is when they die.

Also if the intent of the Entity is for the survivors to believe that death is real but also lets them interact, they should eventually figure out among themselves that they have been resurrected and that they are trapped here. So maybe the memory rewrite is for the weak ones idunno.

• LethalPugy
    LethalPugy Member Posts: 493

Well that’s the werid thing, we know they keep their memories from their past lives when they enter. In nancy’s lore. She hears a familiar scream. It’s the demogorgan 😳

• SpookyStabby

Bump for more theories. I'm on a Lore binge lately.

Survivors gotta be scared to die but it's been said they get memory wipes each time in Archives. Maybe the wipe isnt total? But, remembering what dying felt like would probably be traumatic enough to motivate someone to avoid it happening again. On the other hand; it could just entirely break them on the first go or they could become apathetic towards the experiences, as mentioned before. Who knows? Let's get some more theories going!

• Mikeadatrix
    Mikeadatrix Member Posts: 890

I'm not sure how many of you have seen the DbD mobile cinematics but I can't recommend them enough. They basically confirm that all the survivors and killers we have ingame are "special" and that they are destined to escape the Entity in one way or another, which is what the Observer is searching for: his way out. It also makes sense that certain survivors remember and others don't, despite all members of our main cast being the "special" survivors. Someone like Dwight would probably remember most failures as the Entity knows that's his weakness. Ash, as shown by his voice lines, doesn't remember much of anything, but this fuels him because he's the chosen one in most universes, always ready to try and save the day, despite the odds stacked against him. Still, Ash's lines could just be me reaching. What is certain is that a select amount of killers and survivors have gotten away from the Entity and it's made clear in those cinematics that our characters are those individuals.

• wisdomwielder

Wow cool! I never knew these existed!

Why is mobile so special?!

Seriously though this is actually a lot information, and our suspicions that our survivors are somehow 'special' makes a lot of sense. I think I still stand by the notion that they remember most things while 'normal' survivors don't and are quickly sent to the void when they break. Thanks for sharing!

• Mikeadatrix
    Mikeadatrix Member Posts: 890

No problemo! I really hope they port the cinematics over to PC someday because they're great little tidbits of information that really explain the lore better.

• SpookyStabby

They really are awesome and thanks for uploading! That is some VERY vital info missing from the main game!

• Justalittlepeeck
    Justalittlepeeck Member Posts: 1,101

Benedict Baker was writing down everything that happened to him into diary.

I guess survivors just remember whatever is happening to them sooner or later or Entity does something with their minds or perception to make them be scared.

Survivors could also be simply afraid of pain and feeling of death so avoiding that is already enough to force them feel enough. Perhaps they don't even understand they die and to them everything that happens is a terrible nightmare going on and on.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

food for thought: is there a possibility that it's not THE entity that gives survivors (and killers) their memories back, but a different eldritch thing? One that might not necessarily be benevolent, but that wants to weaken the entity and has found taken away its food is the most efficient way, and the most efficient and frustrating way for the entity for this to happen would be when survivors and killers fight back cause they got their memories/humanity back.

• SpookyStabby

You should read my thing about ideas for sequels, friend. Its bouncing around in Lore sub forum in the thread " Will we ever get to battle The Entity"

• BubbaMain64
    BubbaMain64 Member Posts: 546

So does that mean that Demo can teach other killers how to blow up gens in proximity?

• MeltingPenguins

saw that one. we might one day. and rolling with the second eldritch beast musing: what if the entity is the 'lesser' evil at bottomline?

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862

While teachables for survivors are explained by the same campfire they all go to, and they all help each other learn new strategies to survive, I think the Entity probably acts as an intermediary to teach the killers new powers and abilities (teachable perks) to use in their trial to their benefit as servants of the Entity. Since I'm fairly certain the killers are kept in isolation, and don't actually ever meet each other for a number of reasons, but this is definitely a lore grey area that the devs haven't talked about in a long while.

• MeltingPenguins

Looking over at the 'no one likes david' thread, the statements given there (about what the devs said about him and his role amongst the survivors) (just going by what's said there)) go against the 'they lose all memories and can't stand each other' bits and bobs...

also, ain't the observations & files by an unreliable narrator?

• Endersan
    Endersan Member Posts: 54

In the mobile version lore it says '' some of them doesn't even know that they are in an endless nightmare'' or something like that.

• Rattman
    Rattman Member Posts: 1,088

Have to say, teachable perks mostly stay in muscle memory. Or somewhere really deep inside your mind. So deep that you don't even know how you know the stuff. Somewhat similar to how Deja vu works.

As for Void and empty husks: It's simple. You go into the Void when your soul fully devoured. As Benedict Baker said, a small bit of your soul gets devoured after every time you die. Why Benedict remembered stuff, like his death, tho, is beyond my understanding.