Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Why the DBD community is so toxic and whose fault is that?

I just played the game for 3 weeks, I learned everything but still didn't understand that big toxicity. There's always a toxic person in every match, teabagging, flash spamming is eveywhere, there is also a guide called "How to be a toxic survivor on DBD?" Why? Why so toxic man? And whose fault is that? I reported at least 5 person who has toxic behaviour, none of them banned I think. Whose fault is that?

Comments

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

I don't know but you can't report for that stuff. Teabagging and clicky clicky is completely allowed, as is tunnelling, camping, letting survivors bleed out etc etc

• Player35
    Player35 Member Posts: 119
    edited June 2020

I don't really know the exact answer but I think a big part of it is people who just play survivor OR killer and therefore dismiss the other side.

And children playing the game. Just to clarify, I am not using that as an insult. Children (and teens, I lump them together) tend to lack awareness of other people's feeling and (I'm guessing) doubly so when it's behind a screen.

Try not to let it bug you too much (says someone that is bothered quite a lot by it)

• xxDeathwishDW
    xxDeathwishDW Member Posts: 138

Thank you for your comments. Well, I'm a Turkish man so I really don't know your culture, but I'm sad if it's like this. I'm already good I think: %90 of the time get 3-4 kills for a match. I will try to make a solution. Thanks again.

• Respectfulnancymain
    Respectfulnancymain Member Posts: 1,816

But saboing and using iron grasp/ agitaion wasent toxic?

Playing optimally isn't toxic imo

• Mikeasaurus
    Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327

It's not just DbD that is toxic. Anything that can have an internet following will always produce people who find ways to be toxic. Moreso because DbD is an online game, and people get enjoyment from acting toxic toward others. They thrive on the attention they gain because, as long as a screen exists between you and the other person, they'll feel powerful. And as long as the internet exists, and keyboard warriors reign supreme, it'll never stop. You just gotta keep hoping that you'll encounter some decent players who are just playing for fun and won't act like toxic keyboard warriors.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Survivors weren't doing it to play optimally, they were doing it because they wanted to bully killers by preventing them from getting hooks, kills, and points. When killers adapted, survivors cried out for nerfs to Iron Grasp, because it was "impossible to wiggle free", completely ignoring why killers were even taking Iron Grasp to begin with - because hooking was impossible otherwise.

There's a reason Jakes were dodged like the plague back then.

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

Several reasons:

1) The disparity in player goals that exists due to poor matchmaking. (The classic, "Casual vs. Hardcore" debate)

2) Asymmetrical nature of the game causing people to "pick a side".

3) Pug team nature of survivor side, which is always toxic in any game online.

• Papayarng
    Papayarng Member Posts: 73

Some people just like that way of playing and find being a gen jockey not fun. Also it's a strategy of getting the killers really angry so they make bad plays.

• Papayarng
    Papayarng Member Posts: 73

So oyur saying that doing your best to SURVIVE as a SURVIVOR is bullying? the whole point of saboing and perks like flip flop is to SURVIVE

but killer mains wouldnt understand that

• Respectfulnancymain

So tunneling and camping is toxic?

Most killers dont do it to play optimally but to annoy survivors

Imo playing optimally isnt toxic even if it bothers the other side

Btw I'm curious since your a "veteran" do you have legacy?

• lucid4444
    lucid4444 Member Posts: 682

I've been puzzled by this as well, and I think it's a combination of a few things. Like the people above mentioned, some people only play 1 side. In a game like Left 4 Dead, players take turns playing both, so they get both perspectives on each map/checkpoint.

Another thing to mention is, ironically, the design choices to make it more 'casual' or like a 'party game'

People can bring red items/addons into a match and after the game get flamed because it made it seem like this person used an unfair advantage. And of course I have to bring up keys and moris. Similar to the items, people feel cheated out of a game because someone else decided to bring that in with them. Can you imagine trying to play competitive smash bros when someone has the ability to bring in a hammer?

Then of course we have the interactivity with certain strategies. You cannot do anything on the hook other than flap your arms or try to escape, and when you're struggling there's nothing you can do at all. There's very little you can do as a slug, and it can be extremely frustrating when you wanted to play a game, but you're instead just watching the killer camp or tunnel you for a quick kill. The game is designed for people to get hooked, so it's not like a huge misplay to end up being hooked, and if you're camped, you will depip. You're punished for something outside your control. That lack of control gets people angry, and it's not because of some NPC, it's another person. That person is making you de-rank, that person is making you not play a game.

I think if changes are to be made for items and the pipping system, you'd need a huge overhaul. I find it bizarre that the survivors are all on a team, but don't get team points. Players should be rewarded for playing great individually, but there should be a bonus given to the team based on how many survived. The players knocked out early can still get something, and it promotes actually helping the team as opposed to farming them off hooks. I don't know if my solution is the best, but I don't think people should get actively punished THRICE for being camped- once for a boring game, second for de-ranking, third for no bloodpoints.

• Orion

I knew a comment like yours would inevitably pop up if I didn't explicitly mention I was a survivor main unprompted. If I had, the reaction would've been that my mentioning it was unprompted and irrelevant, so thank you.

Despite what people may believe, I am, and always have been, a survivor main. I main Jake, and have done so since the game launched, so guess how I know why Saboteur was used. I also almost always played with a team (yes, I was one of those survivors who dodged until they got into a lobby with their friends), and have only played SWF (when I play survivor) for a while now.

So no, I'm not saying survivors doing their best to survive are bullying. I'm saying survivors were sabotaging every hook to bully the killer, or otherwise support bullies, like I inadvertently did for a while. The fact that it was also effective to help them survive was a coincidence, and definitely not the main goal.

It can be, yes, but I disagree with your notion that most killers do it to annoy survivors. I've rarely encountered campers, and most of those that I have encountered camped when it became clear that we were rewarding them for it.

No, I don't have legacy. I have little patience for doing the same tasks over and over again, probably due to my ADD. That's why I played multiple killers (because their gameplay is different), but basically only one survivor (Jake). Hell, this event will be the first time I play most non-licensed survivors. Even so, I've never touched the likes of Laurie, Tapp, and so on.

• Cius
    Cius Member Posts: 86

I would force 10 games on the opposite side to those reported as toxic, they would realize many things that they ignore if they only play one side, for this reason I like these events

• emptyCups
    emptyCups Member Posts: 1,262

The core gameplay

And the premise

create the community

1 vs 4.

Means a team can all collectively respond to a single person and have there onions validated by shared experiences of struggling against the one.

Ei- they talk ######### or get mad because they died and 3 others are like yeah you shouldnt have lost killer was just scum.

In horror you dont root for the killer you want the monster to loose because hes evil, and thereby you are "good" so you dislike him by default.

The core gameplay limits the view of the killer making him focused and frustrated but expecting him to manage 7 different gens and 4 players while fighting against 12 perks and 4 tools

while making his only goal killing players... the effect of that is removing or stopping people from playing. Making them bored between the times of play and not play. So there's a natural hate of being knocked out of a game you want to play in.

Thats my theory.

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725

While it's probly too late to do anything about the toxicity since it's already gotten too far into a downward spiral, it's mostly a result of highly oppressive tactics being available for way too long compared to what most developers would allow. When crazy tactics that make it impossible to play freely in the game exists, it's highly frustrating and you would naturally think the developers would do something about it. When they don't, your only hope is that other players don't use those tactics, but some are going to. And then some are going to use those kind of tactics in response to those kind of tactics. Then people are going to get upset that the tactics are regularly being used. Then people start blaming other players instead of the developers who should be doing a better job at balancing gameplay.

• Rasinbran
    Rasinbran Member Posts: 240

Stop going for hooks and focus on downing them as much as possible it'll be a deeper cut than you think on their pride.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

It's kind of like 2 street gangs that have been fighting each other for so long. Hardly anyone remembers how it started lol

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

The toxicity doesn't originate from Dead by Daylight. It originates from outside the game. People will always make excuses for their bad behavior. But the truth is, the players who are toxic in DBD are most likely toxic in other multiplayer games too.

• Orion

Pretty much, yeah. It's unfortunate that those who do remember are accused of bias. The fact is, one side is usually worse than the other.

• NinjaDette1
    NinjaDette1 Member Posts: 1,289
    edited June 2020

It’s people on both sides I’ve had my share of seeing toxic killers and survivors there isn’t one side that is more toxic then the other.

• Vox_Nocturne
    Vox_Nocturne Member Posts: 545

There are people out there who are entitled - not just in game, but in life. Everyone holds a set of standards or principles to adhere to, but some have higher expectations on others and little for themselves. Some have been given everything they've asked for, whilst others have grafted for it. Some are easily offended, because of their expectations.

Those toxic people all share a feeling of inadequacy and entitlement. There's a lot of stuff on this out there, but in terms of this game it's the same: Someone believes they should get the hatch because "they deserve it". Another feels that they were bullied when their hardcore tunneling act resulted in failure. Those people don't want to think of this as "just a game" - it needs to be a statement, because admitting otherwise lessens their feelings of self-worth. It's important to them.

But this is just a game. It's meant to be fun, with competitive action during the game and decent behaviour before and after the trial. Nothing wrong in being as good as you can be. Everything wrong if you want to be superior to others on something as trivial as a game.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

If you even get triggered from teabagging and flashlight clicking, you wont have fun with this game, despite none of this affects gameplay.

• CronaWins
    CronaWins Member Posts: 650
    edited June 2020

I don't consider teabagging or flashlight spamming toxic.

One is an crouch animation and one is a noise.

It's only toxic depending on your reaction to it.

The only thing i consider toxic is the salty end game chat. Just say gg and move on.

• BubbaMain64
    BubbaMain64 Member Posts: 546

It's both sides fault. It doesn't matter who we point the finger to we all have to change if we really want to stop toxicity. Trolls will be trolls and some people are just ######### but the best way to kill it is to not feed into it.

• coppersly
    coppersly Member Posts: 2,318

Even if he inspired hundreds of toxic survivors he still can't be solely blamed for it nor is his single contribution enough to really be notable. Lots of people helped make toxic survivor and killer videos. Like I said it's definitely partly a culture issue.

• ZaKzan
    ZaKzan Member Posts: 544

Those who have the power to do something about it are responsible, obviously.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited June 2020

It's the nature of competitive games. I haven't played a single PvP game which was free of toxicity.

• SilentChill
    SilentChill Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2020

Kiddies watch youtube videos and twitch streams, the big keywords are "toxic this," and "bully that." They want to be memey, edgy and all shiz so they imitate thier favorite online personality. My favorite players/streamers are all chill however ... I tend to play that way. Lastly we live as a species that an eye for an eye, a teabag for a facecamp is the norm.. so Im not really surprised, its easier to retaliate than it is to chill and hold yourself back.

• Respectfulnancymain

Tbh I'll admit that survivors were extremely toxic back when the game released since they were so op

but now in 2020 both sides are equally as toxic from my experience

• ayaya
    ayaya Member Posts: 163

How can people find tbagging to be toxic in 2020......Get better if it worries you that much

• FixThisGame69
    FixThisGame69 Member Posts: 97

OP, I will share with you my theory on why the toxicity exists.

In my opinion, most survivor mains are filthy weebs.

Most weebs have the same anger and insecurity issues as a Karen, and when things don't go their way they blow up with anger. Hence the toxicity.

I have met some toxic killers, but its not often, and its usually because survivors have hurt them to the point where they are now angry and expressing it via camping, tunneling, pig snorting, plague puking slugs, huntress hatchet spamming on bodies or slugs, or ghost face tbagging.

• Dwinchester
    Dwinchester Member Posts: 961

The devs want the game to be frustrating, to keep you coming back. Then the streamers get viewers by being toxic. Since people have no imagination, they copy their favorite build and tactics.

Look at how many try to emulate Aryun, noob, monto, and satt.

• KiliHD
    KiliHD Member Posts: 52

Its so sad to see how behaviour does not want to implement a chat filter like overwatch or a complete block. The devs should really focus on game health rather then on new outfits for 10 euros. Lucky enough we can disable the chat for ourselfs. Why do we even need one? For the most parts its just dumb #########. And if no one can be banned for always lettings people bleed out, posting dumb things or harrassement in the chat or any toxic behavour then i dont think the game will have a good environment ever. Its so easy to detect but still not any changes. You use a lot of bad words in the chat? Now your banned from the chat for the week and if you dont change your banned from the game. ITS SO EASY.

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

Survivors are toxic in game. All they have to do is teabag in the match and call the killer slurs in the post game chat to feel satisfied.

Then, because of the survivors actions, killers become toxic in social media, disregarding the survivors opinions.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

that's how this game work sadly who ever started the toxicity which I'm sure was survivors never going to end again sadly.

• SonicOffline
    SonicOffline Member Posts: 917

Toxic is defined differently to everyone. Everyone is toxic in somebody's eyes. Me playing killer efficiently, proxy camping, and generally playing for my own points is toxic to people I consider entitled, which is a form of toxicity.

• ArsonAardvark
    ArsonAardvark Member Posts: 7

If teabagging wasn't allowed, there wouldn't be crouching in the game.

If flashlight spamming wasn't allowed, there wouldn't be flashlights in the game.

Stop reporting people for playing the game, and just...get gud. Fight the urge to report people unless they purposely DC.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

The issue is not fully the toxicity its more about the skill cap betweenne killer and surivor surivor can do all these things with minimal effort because of perks like ds unbreakable and crasy combos with little draw back or risk with a moderate or high reward. And the killer has to try and make reads and be mutlitasking 3 things at once with a often low reward and when killers get brought to the skill of surivors they get mad and gloat about how much better they are than you to compasate for how they lost and if they win they think you are bad because you didnt catch them.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416

It seems like a snowball effect, change after change allowed these playstyles and people got more and more annoyed, combine that with the fact DBD has been getting consistently more popular and this just ind happened.

• IamB4tm4n88
    IamB4tm4n88 Member Posts: 58

Hard to point the finger. If I had to maybe killer and Im a killer main thats why im saying it. I dont use NOED I think that perk needs to be removed or altered in a way. Killers have the ability to take you out of the game with one hook. I believe thats where most of the games toxicity comes from. Also doesnt help when popular streamers teach players to be toxic with certain builds and 99% of the time its a killer build. Survivors also need to take some blame as well with t-Bagging and BMing

• LintyScorpion
    LintyScorpion Member Posts: 165

It's honestly just how people are. There's no changing it

• IamB4tm4n88
    IamB4tm4n88 Member Posts: 58
  • mydogmax19
    mydogmax19 Member Posts: 266

Merhaba, arkadaş. Hoş geldiniz! Toxicity is prevalent in this game. But, it's best not to let it get to you, ever. Enjoy yourself!

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

The developers did little to curb it over the years and gave people the tools to be toxic. Whether thats swf with OoO tbagging all game, or killers that slug everyone and leave them on the ground to bleed out.