Clown change idea

Midori_21
Midori_21 Member Posts: 723
edited June 2020 in General Discussions

Idea to buff the clown:

Give his bottles an automatic recharge like the nurse's blink ability, so you don't have to manually reload bottles.

Thoughts?

Edit: it doesn't have to be super fast, just an automatic reload so you don't have to waste time reloading.

Post edited by Midori_21 on

Comments

• coppersly
    coppersly Member Posts: 2,318

It would have to be pretty slow ngl. We don't want it to devolve into just throwing them willy-nilly for ez zone control. The reload forces you to decide when is a good time to throw one.

• Midori_21
    edited June 2020

Good point. For 1 bottle 15 seconds is too much, total reload it's not enough. What do you propose?

• Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2,187

This would be a good buff, but I think I should change it up a bit.

Maybe every 10 seconds, Clown receives a new bottle.

Another feature I would love to have with Clown is a UI indicator of where your bottle is going to land when you throw it.

• Midori_21
    edited June 2020

So 10 seconds for 1 bottle, making a full reload 40 seconds. Sounds good.

I really like the idea of an indicator for where the bottle lands. Kind of like giving the huntress a crosshair to see where hatchets will go.

• Heroiq
    Heroiq Member Posts: 1,134

That's actually a nice idea. And after reading the comments. @coppersly gave a really good point.

how about in addition to his current reload. make him regenerate 2 or 3 bottles after hitting a survivor.

so it punishes you if you waste all of your bottles. and kinda rewards you if you get a hit using your bottles.

your idea is amazing though. and can probably be the first step in reworking the clown.

• Midori_21

Thank you. I've been hesitant to bring this up for a while since the last time I suggested a buff everyone who commented shot it down. Glad to see it positively reviewed.

• Midori_21

That's true. It's not really the reload speed that I have a problem with, it's the fact that you have to constantly stop and reload bottles, wasting time you could be using to patrol/find survivors.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

This. Why does he only get 4? They could just bump that number to 10

• Heroiq
    Heroiq Member Posts: 1,134

after thinking more about it.

The devs won't simply throw the reload mechanic and the animations away.

and even if the passive bottle regeneration happened. let's say a bottle every 15 seconds. you'll probably still find yourself without any bottles in the middle of the chase. basically being an m1 killer without an ability.

how about making use of his reload. but without forcing him to reload every now and then since it takes 2 blue moons for him to finish reloading without reload speed add-ons.

what I mean by that is giving him a real regeneration ability that goes down slowly by time.

let's say after you reload your bottles (in addition to the reload itself). the first 30 seconds. you get a bottle every 5 seconds. after a minute. that goes down to 10 seconds. after a minute and a half. that goes down to 15 seconds. etc. until it reaches something like a bottle every 30 seconds.

I think this would unlock a new kind of mindgames to it. and maybe make him viable?

Again, Your idea is a pretty good one though.

• Midori_21

So they could just give him a 5 second recharge per bottle, that doesn't slow you down?

• CriminalMind_ITA
    CriminalMind_ITA Member Posts: 93

I'm using Clown these days and damn he feels good !!

I usually bring 1 or 2 extra bottles + longer effect duration

Honestly i think we're almost there

He just needs some small tweaks

• Midori_21

Okay. What exactly are you saying in relation to the topic? Do you mean this change is more than he needs? Or that this could work or what?

• coppersly
    coppersly Member Posts: 2,318

Would he still be able to manually reload if he uses all of his bottles in that 10 or so seconds to recharge?

Your idea gave me an idea.

For every generator completed the reload time passively gets faster and faster?

Maybe if it was an addon. Part of the skill of Clown imo is learning where his bottles will land, like where Nurse will blink to or Huntress hatchets will fly, Deathslingers shots, etc.

• CriminalMind_ITA
    edited June 2020

I think that the automatic recharge is not needed

i mean, they could implement it, but i'm afraid he will be too strong

try to use the 2 extra bottles add on and the "longer duration" one and you'll see that you won't be that much dependant on reload time

• Midori_21
    edited June 2020

It may not be needed, but that doesn't mean it's a bad change, does it? And I actually did use 2 extra bottles with extra duration yesterday at The Game, and killed everyone at red ranks. I understand that reload time might not be what causes the clown to not perform as well as other killers, I just figured getting bottles back while being able to traverse the map at the same time would be nice.

• CriminalMind_ITA

Yeah man, it definitely would

If i should suggest a change, i'd love the effect to persist longer, ang give him more bottles at the start of the match

• LiunUK
    LiunUK Member Posts: 944

and maybe instead of reloading, pressing the alternate ability button will give him a different bottle effect, like mabey he pops the corck befor throwing and instead of making a circle of gas where it lands but instead it makes a trail as it flies through the air.

• tatterz
    tatterz Member Posts: 41
    edited June 2020

If you walk up to a fire barrel or any fixture with fire and you're holding M2 (you have a bottle in your hand), Pressing the secondary ability button allows The Clown to morph that bottle into a Molotov Cocktail after like a 3 second animation. Pressing M1 to stash the bottle back in your pocket turns it back into a regular bottle (You can't just whip out a molotov whenever you want).

Kind of a joke idea but sounds cool lol

I also think he should start with 5 bottles.

Post edited by tatterz on
  • Midori_21

Changing a tonic bottle into a molotov......I mean, it makes sense.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited June 2020

I was thinking that maybe the smoke from his bottles damages any gen they come in contact with (meaning they just start regressing as if kicked) and the next time that gen is touched by a survivor it will make them cough and give a noise notification.

This does a few things. It would give him a little more map control without actually giving him more mobility and make him a tiny bit more time efficient.

However this isn't without its costs, because now he would be wasting bottles on gens as well if he so chose, meaning he will need to be reloading more often if he wastes throws willy nilly.

• GingerBeard
    GingerBeard Member Posts: 272

I don't believe this is what he needs, but i'm not sure what I would change about him.

Clown is my go to when I play killer. I've played more as him than I have as any other killer. Yet oddly enough I don't find him to be that fun to play as or go against. I guess his power just feels too bland and one dimensional to me. Maybe like @Blueberry said, have his gas do something to gens, or maybe instead of throwing a bottle, he could place one down that would act like a proximity mine.

One thing I would like to see, is maybe an addon or two to increase the velocity of thrown bottles.

Also I hate his two pink addons. Even though I said I don't believe he needs recharging bottles, maybe it could replace one of his ultra rares.

• Midori_21

That's the problem with the majority of fan suggested changes to killers. "I don't think it's what he needs, but than again, I don't know what I'd do."

I do understand that an automatic recharge might not be what he needs, but that doesn't mean it would be a bad change, right?