Would it be possible to program a killer ability that would block discord coms for survivors

Options

i dont squat about programming hell i dont even know what a computer is but would it be possible for a killer to hit a button and then block survivors discord coms.

Comments

• malatruse
    malatruse Member Posts: 783
    Options

At first I thought you meant block their ability to know when the killer was using Discordance 🤣

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793
    Options

first, not in any way I’m aware of since it’s outside the game.

second, they could use phones

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

Well, you're talking about affecting a 3rd party program, and it's also easy enough for a console player such as myself to use Discord on a laptop rather than Xbox Party Chat and bypass it entirely.

In short then, absolutely not.

In a bit longer, there is no way at all that you would legally be able to block off a 3rd party program or website and even if you could there are just way too many ways to ignore it entirely and still gain the benefits, even if it would be slightly harder to make it all work. There would be too many issues with trying to implement something like this on a programming level alone for what little "benefit" some people would get out of this.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

Sure. Just make it so that when this Killer uses his power, he causes all electronics within 32 meters of the target Survivor to explode and regress by 100%.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,206
    Options

i don't like survivor on discord or party chat on ps4 but this a joke?

• ihavesomethingstosay
    ihavesomethingstosay Member Posts: 18
    Options

me and my friend were talking about the thing as a chapter idea we thought shape shifting first because of course but what are some other ways of breeding distrust in your teamate without shape shifting any ideas

• NuclearBurrito
    Options

Short of wincon alteration you can't. Comms can bypass any other method used.

• ihavesomethingstosay
    Options

there has to be something clever

• NuclearBurrito
    edited June 2020
    Options

keep in mind, by wincon alteration what I really mean is that you need to somehow get a Survivor to want to willingly harm the other Survivors in some way.

Since that way the Survivor on comms is encouraged to straight up lie to their team and thus they can't assume their friend is telling the truth when they say otherwise.

This is the method social deduction games use. You can't break the game with comms when the enemy could be one of the people you have in your discord in the first place.

• ihavesomethingstosay
    Options

fair but i think there is a way to do it.

idk what it is

• ihavesomethingstosay
    Options

wincon alteration could make for an an intresting killer by itself

• ihavesomethingstosay
    Options

well the concept in a killers kit

• NuclearBurrito
    Options

It would, however I don't see it working simply because it's too drastic of a change to the games core premise.

Wincon alteration mechanics are the kind of thing you have to design the entire game around from the ground up.

Compare Town of Salem's Vampires to Throne of Lies's Cult and Unseen.

Vampires are an unbalanced game ruining mess

Cult and Unseen are a super unique super fun set of factions

The difference is that ToS wasn't built around conversion but ToL is.

• ihavesomethingstosay
    Options

your right maybe if it were a game mode instead

• NuclearBurrito
    Options

Totally. Done right those kinds of mechanics are completely amazing.

Throne of Lies and One Night Ultimate Werewolf are excellent examples of this.

• 1anioh
    1anioh Member Posts: 62
    Options

Uh, I think the thread went into a weird direction lol.

So like it was mentioned earlier for legal reasons you cannot force mod a 3rd party product. Ie, bhvr cannot use their platform to make an in game code that disables the use of discord.

If it was legally allowed could it be done? The short answer is, kinda. It would look something like, "check all programs running; if discord ON, mute mic." Except much longer lol.

It could be done on the computer, but not the consoles. (Mostly because you dont use discord on consoles anyways, you use a phone or computer or messager) And it would only work if you were using the same computer/virtual machine as the game itself. There also wouldnt be anyway to determine if discord was being used for the game or for something else.

There are a lot of ways to get around a comm block and it would be far easier, and far more effective, to simply create a new gamemode.

• DeadByDedicated
    DeadByDedicated Member Posts: 134
    Options

Just make a killer with an ability so loud that survivors literally can’t hear anything else.

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159
    Options

No. Too many variables and options.

• Fiv55
    Fiv55 Member Posts: 350
    Options

wow this goes a bit far... imagine letting a (game) company know about everything that is on your computer - bc thats what it basicly comes down to. They'd need a lot of permissions (admin level / root kit) on your system, check all your files and programs running in the background. Dont get me wrong its certainly possible to an extend, but a lot of people (me included) wouldnt play anymore. I wont install a software that communicates everything on my pc (basicly spyware) to a developer and trust them with that information. Also I'm partly working

A scandal erupted in 2005 regarding Sony BMG's implementation of copy protection measures on about 22 million CDs. When inserted into a computer, the CDs installed one of two pieces of software which provided a form of digital rights management (DRM) by modifying the operating system to interfere with CD copying. Neither program could easily be uninstalled, and they created vulnerabilities that were exploited by unrelated malware. One of the programs would install and "phone home" with reports on the user's private listening habits - even if the user refused its end-user license agreement (EULA), while the other was not mentioned in the EULA at all.

While the dev collects all your data to analyze it, people can just circumvent the software by using their phones. Also you dont even need to run discord as an app on your desktop, you can also use the web version. Also there are a lot of legal issues regarding privacy for different countries.

TL:DR its not that easy to do (legally & moraly) and easy to work around, for the price of your privacy.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    Options

What you're describing is called "malware." 🤣

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

This. If one piece of software actively stops others from working, that's just malware by definition.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
    Options

Do you mean hacking? I'm pretty sure it's possible, but it may not work out very well for you from a legal standpoint.

• Thrax
    Thrax Member Posts: 974
    Options

Probably not without discords help and even then they would just use something else.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,659
    Options

"The ENTITY has discovered voice communication on the other side and has granted the" ... if only Mclean could've finished his sentence before being interrupted.

But seriously, the Devs would not do this because it's kinda weird (and unethical) blocking someone's communication software. They'd likely need permission from Discord if they were to modify how it worked.

Also, people could just use Discord on their mobile phone. Put the mobile phone on your desk and they're good. Then there's the problem with Skype, Teamspeak, Mumble, etc. It's not practical, nor ethical no matter how much you dislike going up against SWF.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Options

Yea that'll be fair. How about we make them 95% movement speed to compensate for this. Also that is their only ability, after they use it they are only a M1 killer.

Jokes aside no. Try explaining to new players "oh yea this killer stops us from talking". Imagine the amount of DCs, not because survivors need comms to survive but because they are playing the game to talk to their friends.

Also imagine if you were wrong about the team using comms, completely wasted ability.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
    Options

The devs won't do this because voice chat is openly allowed, simple as. On DbD's official Discord channel there are special sections to host SWFs.