[Story thread] Stop feeding hook campers, for Entity's sake!

Orion
Orion Member Posts: 21,675
edited June 2020 in General Discussions

I was playing survivor earlier today and went up against a Wraith on Dead Dawg Saloon. My SWF teammate immediately told me that it was a stealth killer because his Alert kept going off, but no aura was actually visible. We were in the saloon at this time, turns out the Wraith was breaking most walls there.

As I'm walking past a breakable wall, the Wraith suddenly destroys it (scariest ######### thing I've seen in DbD, BTW, just a wall suddenly exploding out of nowhere), but he either doesn't notice me or decides to ignore me.

After chasing my friend for a while, the Wraith gets stunned (still invisible) and gives up the chase to come after me instead. I go down fairly quickly because I wasn't expecting him to come after me and get hooked in the basement.

The Wraith decides to camp me there, and much to my surprise, he's an Insidious Wraith, the second one I've seen (the first being me, two years ago, because it completely throws off survivors). However, everyone is working on separate gens and there are only 3 left, so I figure it's OK, the Wraith gets one kill.

That's when the other two survivors decided to remind me why killers camp: because they make it work. One comes in, sees the Wraith, but decides to unhook me anyway with BT after taking a hit. She goes down, I escape by running through the other one coming down the stairs. Both go down and are hooked in the basement.

My friend and I are working on gens, thinking the other two will hang in the basement a bit and give us more than enough time to finish all the gens. The Wraith will get two kills instead of one, but at least we'll make it out.

Again, the survivors proved me wrong. They both attempted to self-unhook - one didn't even bother to struggle - and we barely manage to finish repairing the other gens before they get sacrificed. Naturally, we didn't have enough time to open the gates and we both die. Wraith gets a 4k that should've been a 1k because survivors rewarded the camper.

TL;DR: Survivors rewarded a camper by unhooking unsafely and killing themselves on the hook, so the camper got a 4k instead of a 1k.

Comments

• PissedWraithMain
    PissedWraithMain Member Posts: 93

thought this was me for a quick second, checked most the boxes until you said insidious

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259
    edited June 2020

Yeah, I won a Myers game earlier because of this!

I found three survivors at the kill shack on Yakamoto (sp?). I stood at the window, and stalked them until I was tier two. Two of them scattered to each side of the shack, while one sitting directly in front of me continued to work on the gen. Easiest tier three ever.

I went for the one in the shack, chased her out, but seen scratch marks near by behind a tree. Found a Meg. Downed her and hooked her. Nancy runs up for the save while I'm there and still in tier three. Easiest down ever.* Tier three ends, Cheryl tried to block me, hit her, she scatters, hooked Nancy. Go back to hooked Meg, see Jeff pulling her off. Tried to go after Jeff, but found Meg instead. Cheryl tried to block me again, but she never healed, so downed her, and hooked Meg again. Meg suicides, and I take Cheryl to a hook. See Nancy near by, she never healed, down and hook her. She suicides. Jeff and Cheryl run right up to me to die, lol.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited June 2020

Yeah when I solo I run kindred for this reason and randoms still do what you listed. It really bothers me about all these threads complaining about campers. It only works if the survivors allow it. Heaven forbid they turn that magnifying glass on themselves and see what's wrong with them.

• AmbulanceParty
    AmbulanceParty Member Posts: 9

I get why survivors, not even a SWF, try to make it out with everyone alive, but sometimes you have to draw a line. You can't save everyone and sometimes people die.

• LethalPugy
    LethalPugy Member Posts: 493

Camping is a strategy that killers can use and survivors can counter it but they rarely do. Like in red ranks. If i’m being camped everyone comes running or just stays next to me not doing anything.

But when i’m not camped survivors just let me go to struggle so that’s great. 😔

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

I'm trying to get the crowns on all characters and the majority of my survivors are level 1 because I abhor grinding and just got what I wanted from the Shrine. I literally just had one perk.