The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Map Length and Area (Specifically Shelter Woods)

CHED1
CHED1 Member Posts: 31

This is not a rant or a complaint but I’m a bit stuck with sommet and was wondering if any boffins on here could help me out.

So I’m Recreating a few dbd maps on a software called the hammer editor, which I will then upload to the Gmod workshop to feel a little more productive In this lockdown.

I thought I’d start with shelter woods as it’s probably one of the more bland and simple maps to create and would therefore be less of a challenge as a first attempt. Being the recreation that it is I wanted to get the width and length of the map picture perfect. To find this I went and looked on the DBD wiki and saw the only measurements you got were the area (11,264m Squared) and the area in square tiles (176).

This left me confused as the map is an irregular shape and therefore I cannot just get the square Root of 11,264 (106.131) and convert that number into my software dimensions.

I then thought about creating the map just from dimensions of the tiles. Dividing the area of the map by the square tiles to get the amount of tiles in the map (11,264 / 176 = 64). I square rooted the answer to get an individual Length of the tile (8). Times that by how many hammer software units in a meter (52.49) and the result is 419.92 or 420 hammers units for 8 meters. Where exactly to place them Individually Would still be a mystery but I could easily rearrange 64 tiles to rearrange the photo you see above.

From this I thought I was sorted, but then problems emerged. From further research into the games dimensions it was clear that there is 1) Three different sized tiles and 2) an outer layer of the map that doesn’t seem to be counted as a tile (Pictured in the blueprint above). This outer layer is nearly always a dead zone except for the occasional Z wall or short wall. The dimensions Of this particular area are unknown to me and I spent ages trying to find out. Making the map Dimensions using just tiles therefore seemed as though it wouldn’t work.

After giving up on this I went back to the drawing board and came up with the conclusion that guess work seemed the only way. Since the map itself is basically a square with two rectangles added on, I can find a number slightly lower Than 11,264 (Something around 10,000) , square root this for the length and times that by the hammer units in a meter.Now I can Make the square with the new length and Use the rectangles to make up the difference as best I can. An underwhelming conclusion if I must say so myself.

Thank you for wasting your time reading this, I barely post here so I have no idea whether it’s relevant to the section I’m posting in but hey ho.

My idea in this was to hopefully find someone who can tell me I’m wrong and that there’s another way or someone who knows the circumference of this god damn map. So if you have any suggestions pls let me know. Even if it’s criticism idc 😂.

Comments