Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

why are killers that use iredescint items called toxic

acampingdocter
acampingdocter Member Posts: 20
edited June 2020 in General Discussions

So the other day I was playing doctor using iredescint king and I won easily (I was rank ten at the time) but in the chat i was spammed about being toxic when I was just using a good item so am I toxic or are the survivors just sore losers

Edit

I don't want this to be all about me so tell everyone your story's about survivors screaming at you for using an item

Post edited by acampingdocter on

Comments

• Reaver_Raziel
    Reaver_Raziel Member Posts: 400

Personally I would say that you are just using "op" addons. Althought I dont think I would consider them op. They are basically just giving the killer a lot more power than any other single addon could ever give to him. But essentially no they dont make you toxic. They do probably give you a wrong impression of how strong the doctor actually is tho. I think the only addon most people consider toxic is iri hatches for huntress, which tbf if the killer is good is hella unfun to play against.

If you are actually worried about being toxic then only play with perks that you think would be fun to play against as well. Like personally I could argue that iri hatches are fun.....if the killer player is terrible. Makes the game more interesting at least.

But as most people say here, play how you like to play. But a rule of thumb is that using iridescent addons for killers/items or moris and keys will usually get you some ######### for using them. Either ignore people( or at least be prepared for using them :P) or play without them. There will always be people who #########. But few people are actually worth listening to if the first words they say are "Toxic killer/survivor build"

• JnnsMu
    JnnsMu Member Posts: 249
    edited June 2020

Most people go into a game expecting it to be balanced the way it normally is (survivors having the upper hand but killers being able to snowball pretty heavily off of a few survivor mistakes). Strong items and add-ons shift this dynamic and can make a match unenjoyable for one or even both sides. Assuming that you didn't mock them or anything, you didn't do anything wrong. You wanted to use a one-time-use item for a good time and you used the power it gave you.

However, survivors being angered by powerful add-ons making a match one-sided is understandable and, assuming that thinking that you're being toxic stems from that anger, so is the accusation.

On that background, here's what I recommend: Treat everyone with respect, ignore tilted people and let them calm down, report anyone who seriously insults you.

• EarthToGravity
    EarthToGravity Member Posts: 96

Playing killer as a killer is automatically toxic, did you not hear about this?

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    edited June 2020

were you guys around when the Iri hatchets came out? my God how they cried and cried and cried, I had Hurricane katrina flashbacks reading the threads from the tidal wave of tears

• Customapple0
    Customapple0 Member Posts: 629

Same way that bringing keys, flashlights, toolboxes are toxic too?

Although to be fair Iri head is notoriously OP, especially compared to other Killer Ultra Rare add ons.

• acampingdocter

This discussion is about iridescent items and salty survivors

Are you a salty survivor?

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

For the same reason that some would call someone "sweaty" or a "tryhard" for using that one "best gun" in a Call of Duty game, playing a character that's considered really strong in a fighting game or using whatever hero/team composition that's considered really strong at that moment in a game like Overwatch. Just a scrubby mentality, but then again the same goes for stuff like shaming people for using "meta perks" as killer/survivor as well.

And it's not inherently the iri addons themselves in my experience, but certain ones. I have never had anyone complain if I use something like Rules Set or Amanda's Letter as Pig, while stuff like Iri Head, Redhead's Pinky Finger, Mother Daughter ring and Black Incense? I've been called a sweaty tryhard with those. Because they're strong, just like the same sort of complaining might be made about strong non-iri addons/addon combos like instasaw billy.

It really isn't any deeper than that.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

The same reason survivors using purple flashlight with batteries or keys are called toxic.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,331

Imma have to go back and look it up. Any old threads particularly suggest?

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

The terms toxic and entitlement have completely lost their meanings on these forums.

They are used too often, and usually incorrectly!

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

Items and addons aren't toxic. People are. Assuming you weren't tunneling, camping, or BMing them you weren't toxic.

• acampingdocter

I made this because almost every killer has experienced it and because discussions are being made about everything

• thottiepippen
    thottiepippen Member Posts: 98

Iri huntress is cancer. Other than that, nfi why people are crying.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

Yeah at this point it really doesn't matter but I'm surprised its still a thing.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
  • Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

true but I find it annoying when people all call it out as toxic I'm just surprised people who act like kids play this game.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

Iridescent Heads are toxic.

• Pryzm
    Pryzm Member Posts: 393

Ignore it. Use of items is not toxic. I hate when anyone says using any perk or item is toxic. Sorry, but it's not true. Now, you can play toxic while using them, but that is not the fault of the item, that is just the person using it.

That said, some items are too strong. Iri Head on Huntress, keys, moris, etc. All too strong. Iri head should inflict broken, not instant down. Broken for 180 seconds would be very powerful. Even 120 seconds. Keys should only let one person (keyholder) out. Mori's should be after 2 hooks.

But using them, is not toxic. You had to spend bloodpoints on them, you should use them. No matter what role you are in.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

This also unfortunately includes Keyxs and Mori's. Still extremely unfun though to lose to either.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

I like going against moris. It forces me to improve or die. I dont much care for getting morid off first hook 3 minutes into a game, but it happens. I try not to get upset. Unless im working on a challenge.

As for keys, my only complaint is when they show up in a chest and ruin a tense game. Like when, you'd get a lobby full of toolboxes prenerf, and they 3 gen'd themselves. You kill someone and the game ends because rn-jesus decided to perform a miracle. But someone brings a key in amd gets hatch, thats on me. I knew it was there. I was prepared for it.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

Because a lot of killers who use iridescent add-ons notoriously play super sweaty just like survivors who used old syringes. Using Iri Head with an ebony is basically spoon feeding you a victory. Who likes going against that? And how can anyone feel good about winning using that?

A lot of killers most powerful add-ons aren’t even ultra-rare though like...

• Old Prayer Beads

• Old Frank’s Mix Tape

• Insta-Saw

• Scalped TopKnot

• Omega Blink

• Pig and Demo’s best add-ons are brown and yellow

• chase131119
    chase131119 Member Posts: 839

Most iridescent add-ons are absolutely horrible (just look at Demogorgan)

Some of them are completely OP, such as iri head or black incense.

Iridescent King hardly does anything in my opinion...

• EarthToGravity
    EarthToGravity Member Posts: 96

I commented that as a joke. I have noticed that some survivors expect a killer to act as a 5th survivor instead of as a killer, and usually if a killer plays the game normally, there will be those few people that will always complain.

I play both sides, and I'm not a salty killer or survivor. I don't think items make a killer toxic, and I certainly don't shame anyone for running items OR perks in this game. An advantage doesn't equal toxic, but sometimes people can abuse those items and perks to act toxic. It's best to ignore people and just play how you want to play.