Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How to rework Hex Totems

gatsby
gatsby Member Posts: 2,533

At the start of the match, the auras of all dull totems are revealed. The Killer can interact with a totem on the map once to light it and spawn a hex totem.

Hex totems spawns are random if more than one hex perk is in play

Comments

• shanny_boi
    shanny_boi Member Posts: 146

I would like being able to place my hex totem. I feel like there's too many instances where it spawns right where the survivors are or in an open area. It'll most likely get destroyed and you can't afford to spend the entire match defending it.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

Seems like it would ultimately be a waste of time. I personally would not want to have to do that every match

• JustCats
    JustCats Member Posts: 298

I think it would be interesting if the killer could take the time to reassemble the totem after a significant cooldown.

• RizeAki
    RizeAki Member Posts: 1,209

I’d rather have current spawns so I can patrol gens rather then dull bones tbh

• Dwinchester
    Dwinchester Member Posts: 961

Except for the part when they're not. Devour hope and noed are really the only ones that qualify.

Ruin is just bad. The third seal is very situational, knock out is better. Huntress lullaby would be strong if it didn't need stacks, or at bare minimum didn't alert you. Haunted grounds is trading a whole perk slot for maybe a single down. Retribution is a joke, bbq is far better. Thrill of the hunt basically just tells you that you're fixing to lose a totem, because you can rarely make it before it's destroyed.

• Terra92
    Terra92 Member Posts: 583

Yeah but then Survivors will just guess where it is because Killers will inevitably create some sort of "totem meta" where the best places to place your totem are X, maybe Y, and rarely Z. Survivors will easily pick up on that and just wait for the opportunity to take it while you're chasing someone, thinking your totem is safe.

But I do think it would be cool to replace a hex after it's been broken, off the chance that it'll break early on, but I think it should only apply to a few hexes. Being able to reapply something like Devour Hope would just be the worst.

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620

What if after a totem is broken, the effects persist for an additional 30 seconds? Obviously this wouldn’t apply to totems like Haunted or Retribution but it would at least be a nice buffer.

• Schlute6969
    Schlute6969 Member Posts: 129

I like the ones like certain maps where there is a bush around a tree and you actually have to go inside to just see what it is. If all totems could hide like that I think it would be perfect and put a lot more of those places so it’s not in a designated places so it’s still random. It provides extra hiding spots for survivors and this can actually waste time like they should since they would have to go out of there way to look for them. I just think it’s kind of cheap where certain totems spawn at times having more than 180 degree views on them sometimes entire 360 degrees someone can see it. I think it should almost be like a chest where unless you’re looking inside you don’t know where it is or what it is unless actively looking for it.

• Dwinchester
    Dwinchester Member Posts: 961

It's a little of both. The totem spots don't have to be invisible, but the ones in survivor spawn points and ones that are just impossible to miss need to be fixed.

But yeah, most of the perks are just too weak to be a hex. When it barely affects the game when fully powered and tells the entire team that you have it, it's worthless.

Devour is the perfect hex perk. It has game changing power and doesn't reveal itself until it's too late. Compare it to lullaby, where it has game changing power, but everyone knows you have it from first hook, so you rarely see 5 stacks.

• VSchmitt
    VSchmitt Member Posts: 571

Yeah, last match I spawned right in front of a ruin totem... That's really sad 'cause ruin and devourer of hope always seems to spawn in dumb places.

• ManyAchievables
    ManyAchievables Member Posts: 667

I also have an idea to strengthen totems.

Make Hex: Retribution or Hex: Thrill Of The Hunt basegame mechanics.

Not both, just one of them, because let's say TOTH was basegame.

If you spawn next to a Hex Totem, do you want to cleanse it with the trade-off that the Killer can instantly start a chase since they know the general area of where you are at the start of the trial?

I think it'd add more of a thought process to the game to always have the Survivors be pressured when they cleanse a totem.

• SavouryRain
    SavouryRain Member Posts: 340

...no? How about we think about buffs that don't give the killer a free perk?

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862

I was thinking about this exact same idea maybe a year or two ago. Unfortunately people didn't bite whenever I brought it up on the forums at the time

But I agree. Deployable Hex: perks is something I've been thinking about for a long time now and should be integrated into the game in some way, shape, form, or fashion.

Not only would it guarantee 100% prevention of classic nightmare scenarios like your hex: perk being cleansed within the first 10 or 20 seconds of the match, but in the way I envisioned the idea where you could deploy your hex: perk at any point during the match, not just the beginning, we could see an entirely new dynamic or strategy of players potentially holding onto their hex: perk until mid-game rather than deploying it right away and risking it cleansed quickly. Deploying it at a critical moment of the match when you need it, is something that I think would be a very interesting new dynamic for players to account for and adapt to.

• fredericoevandro
    fredericoevandro Member Posts: 10

I find the idea of reassembling the totem quite interesting, because if the assassin has to spend equivalent time to remount the time that a survivor spends to destroy it, it is a considerable time out of the game, time in which survivors gain an advantage in spawns for example , plus a reload time for the spell, I don't see how it would harm players.

Totems like Devour, would be restarted.

Today, playing as a killer in The Game map, my totem was born in front of a staircase, fully exposed, it was destroyed as soon as the game started. If I could rebuild it, the survivors would still save a lot of time right at the start of the game and I would still have a chance to play my game as I planned, with just a few obstacles and not one less perk from the start, for example. pure luck, or bad luck (depends on the point of view)

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Why not just let Hex perks respawn at a random dull totem? That would give incentive to do totems, and also give a layer of defense for the Hex.

• Flatskull
    Flatskull Member Posts: 332

Not a bad idea.

altenratively: You can do something like a hex totem dosen't actually lit a totem until a certain number of seconds passed. It would at least fix survivors immediately finding bad totem spots and incentives people to recheck the start area. Something like 25 seconds-which is normally enough time for survivors to leg it to the nearest gen-

Or: Hex Totems only become lit when actually activated-eg: hex lullalby only lights up when you get at least one stack- which make some of the more crappy hexes somewhat more usable.

or: Hex totems can be interacted with once by the killer to dull their totem and randomly lit up a different totem.

But I feel that all the obviously abysmal C tier hex perks-thats all the perks besides noed and DH- need a massive buff first and foremost.

• fredericoevandro
    fredericoevandro Member Posts: 10

I think it's a great idea, therefore, if the survivors started breaking them more consistently, it would end the NOED

• EveeIsATree
    EveeIsATree Member Posts: 15

I like the concept but that's just another thing taking away from patrolling gens.

Any killer main will know that every second counts in a match because time is against you.

As is I tend to not use hex perks because I swear I have the worst luck when it comes to where they spawn because it will either be right next to the survivors when they spawn or in the middle of cornfield on Coldwind.

I wish there was a better alternative because some of the Hex Perks are alright.

• Nemmy_Wemmy
    Nemmy_Wemmy Member Posts: 800

I like your idea could be solid, so that as a killer you gotta make sure no one saw you place it, and it will be in a good spot.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,475

There is 1 high risk high reward totem in the game and all the other ones are only high risk because 80% of the time totems just spawn out in broad daylight or in a jungle gym and the other 20% you are on an updated map

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

The risk is far, far greater than the reward, and is almost entirely RNG based. That's the problem people have with Hex totems. That, and the Devs use the 1 hex perk where the risk and reward are similar (DH) as an excuse to never, ever touch them ever again.