There's no winning as a killer.

Canas
Canas Member Posts: 1,021
edited July 2020 in General Discussions

No matter what you do, you're getting verbally assaulted and harassed. You played well? They'll call you a tunneler, camper and other bad things. You scored a tie (2K) or even worse? You'll be ridiculed and insulted, too. And these things happen constantly, especially on higher ranks.

How can any sane person play killer and still endure hours of abuse like this? Experience like this only makes me realize how little survivors care about the community, the vast majority of them only seems to exist to torture the killer. Funny how quickly the tables turn within the Entity's realm.

I wish the devs would finally do something to make killers feel better, it's already bad enough that they're exposed to bullying due to the 1v4 setup. Now add the broken matchmaking and SWF groups to the mix and you've hit rockbottom. There's truly no break for killers.

Comments

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

The cosmetic is meaningless if it doesn’t make you happy to get it, which it sounds like it doesn’t.

You absolutely have other options. Go spend some time outside, call your family or friends, hug your dog, take up knitting or badminton. Watch an old TV show you used to like, find a new one. There are tons of things to do in this life that will make you feel better than grinding a cosmetic in a game you don’t like anymore.

• ThisGuuy83
    ThisGuuy83 Member Posts: 1,303

It's actually real simple. Just ignore the chat and move on maybe? Why do it to yourself? You know what's coming, yet you still let them do it. Just leave...

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

It's funny, gaming in general is probably the biggest source of stress in my life.

Not to make it sound like a flex, but I'm fairly successful in my job, financially stable, my marriage is happy, the people I hang out with are all largely respectful, thoughtful people.

Then I play a video game and it's all just the worst people and experiences. I almost always end a gaming session asking, "Why did I bother wasting my time doing that?" but then I always come back. Go figure. I must be some masochist. 😂

• USELESS
    USELESS Member Posts: 1,151

i consider a win when i had fun and the match was fair

• EmpireWinner
    EmpireWinner Member Posts: 1,054
    edited July 2020

Know what I do,? Ignore them and you should to. At the end of the day, whatever they say, it won't matter at all. You can also block messages, chats or even report them. Easy as that. Either grow a pair and stop caring what others think of you or don't play at all.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142

It can be, especially in a PvP game environment. That's why in DbD, my Steam profile is completely private and endgame chat is forever closed. In Overwatch, if I am playing with random people instead of the friends/family team, voice chat is turned off, match chat is turned off, and if need be I will even turn off team text chat. They can still do the scripted call outs just fine.

The only multiplayer game where I will actively interact with strangers anymore is in World of Warcraft with the guild. Outside of that, I have no interest anymore in dealing with strangers in a video game. I'm almost 50 years old, I'm long since done dealing with ######### in a video game.

• Bovinity

Yeah, I get that.

I guess I keep laboring under the illusion that I'm going to encounter people who are nice and we'll have a civil conversation about the game afterwards or something silly.

My fault for thinking such things, I know. 😁

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

Yea those poor killers. Survivors are bad killers are good. This tantra is getting lame.

• Kilmeran

You know, it's funny. I have actually found that in Overwatch in the past, back when the game was at its height.

I have never found it in DbD before finally giving up.

I always laugh when Overwatch players complain at the forums about toxicity. A couple of times, actually, I suggested they go play DbD to experience real toxicity from a childish player base.

• mydogmax19
    mydogmax19 Member Posts: 266

Many survivors play just to bully the killer rather or not they win. It's so sadistic.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,261

Saw a post the other day on a DBD facebook page in which someone was showing the endgame screen on a match with like 4 event cakes. The person scored a 4k using a half-assed Legion build with afew lvl 1 and 2 perks in there. The comments section was filled with insults on how the guy doesnt have to play like such an ######### when people are using cakes and such. I can understand if you wanna get annoyed at people playing Bubba to facecamp every hook when cakes are played or if a Wraith goes invis all game to troll and cause people to not get any points from the match... But this was just a case of someone playing well. Apparently according to the comments section, they shouldve let them fix gens for awhile and all that.

• Jasuo
    Jasuo Member Posts: 54

I'd do this too if it weren't for meeting really cool people occasionally. Just the other day I made 2 friends, which wouldn't have happened if my chat was off/profile private

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,725

Good news is that rift cosmetics are expected to come out in the store 6 months+ after the rift closes according to the devs so you'll stand a chance at getting it later, just with money.

• Kilmeran
    edited July 2020

Well, in all honesty, I only own a few games on Steam: DbD, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands 2, a few Telltale titles, and State of Decay Year One. And DbD is just a side game for me. I primarily play Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, and World of Warcraft. I've been a Blizzard player since 1994 with Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. My in-game friends are all in the Blizzard games, which is also where most my family plays as well.

If DbD was a main game for me, I'd probably join the DbD Discord to meet like-minded players, and only because SoloQ survivor is a unique type of Hell.

• Jasuo

Yeah I feel you, most of my WoW friends are people I play everything with. I usually play dbd solo, so I had my chat off for a bit. I ended up turning it back on though and sometimes people genuinely are just really friendly after the game, no matter what happens. That being said I ######### despise the people that run full meta perks with keys and insta end the game after they get enough points and trash talk in the post game chat. Toxicity is twice as common as friendliness, but I just leave my chat on in the hopes that I get the latter instead. Most of the times it's not the case so it degrades my mood, but people that ARE friendly really do make it a better experience. I don't blame you for turning it off though, saves you a ton of sanity in the end

• Kilmeran
    edited July 2020

I hear ya. The thing about over in Overwatch is that every friend I ever made in that game was on my team. I have yet to make a friend from the opposing team since doing so requires having Match Chat turned on, and that channel is a cesspool on par with DbD endgame chat.

I had enough BS experiences with endgame chat as a killer, especially a low-rank killer going against red ranks that run roughshod over you, know they did, and still insult and crap at the end, that I just said to hell with it in DbD.

Unfortunately, I stopped playing survivor after three days in a row this past week of never getting unhooked off my first hook. Not once in a single game. And I both did gens and unhooked others, so it isn't like I was some useless, edge-of-the-map-hugging, urban evasion Survivor. It was about as much fun as playing a one-fight-and-dead battle royale.

• Jasuo

I haven't played with voice comms on Overwatch but even still the text chat was still pretty toxic at times. Blew me away how serious people took that game, literally trash talking you for your rank in unranked lol.

And yeah, I'd be lying if I said I haven't had my fair share of abuse as killer too. I only have just short of 200 hours in the game, but I literally only play killer unless some friends feel like playing once in a blue moon. I've seen just about all of it, death threats, uninstall, nonstop ridiculing, etc. I report it most of the time too but I doubt it actually does anything. I've had people go ballistic over NOED too lol. Had this one bad game in particular where I wasn't doing so good, they're feeling rather confident at this point so they're going for ballsy plays until the last gen pops and NOED activates. I was in the middle of a chase with a Feng when this happened and I downed him right after it activated, which lead to me zoning everybody away from hook since they were too scared to ######### with NOED. Game ended with only the Feng dying, and this guy was PISSED. Like literally frothing at the mouth in the post game chat about how ######### I am for using NOED, how ######### I am for not 4King with NOED, etc

Like good god man, no matter what you do you're a trash killer I guess.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

I'll say this again in this discussion. You'd think with the way killers talk that they never get any kills at red ranks.

I love that salt honestly. Got salt today for "tunneling and camping" when this two man swf faced me two games in a row. First game they brought a key and rainbow map. Second game they brought ormond and 2 keys. 4k both games as Legion and they weren't happy. Honestly the funniest messages I've had in a while lol

• Kilmeran
    edited July 2020

That's what I don't get. In pretty much any other game, not just Overwatch, that has ranks, the ranks usually mean something. But even in the Anniversary stream when they had the segment with the fellow working on the MMR system, he blatantly stated that rank in DbD became more of an indicator of time played rather than skill. Which is why they're moving to a skill based MMR system (for which I wish them the best of luck in an asymmetrical game).

Yet, people in this game treat rank like they're pushing for Top 500 in Overwatch for a dream of reaching Open Contenders to one day maybe land a spot on an OWL team (well, before Activision-Blizzard butchered the Tier 2 and 3 esports segments).

It's a friggin' asymmetrical game. They aren't hardcore competitive by any stretch of the imagination. But when you have an asymmetrical game designed around grinding builds with an RNG-heavy method of gaining them on top of that, thinking of DbD as anything but casual is laughable.

So why get mad at a loss? I don't get the mentality. This game is about as competitive as a game of Mario Cart with other players.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,017

Turn off messages or just ignore them

• BaschFonRonsenburg
    BaschFonRonsenburg Member Posts: 311

There’s literally a button to hide the chat. Pull up a gg and press continue. No need to stay for that. Archive blocks what those entitled shits say regardless.

• Bovinity

😂

• Kilmeran
    edited July 2020

Now, what if you didn't want to have kids in the first place?

What if you found the pain from being kicked in the balls a turn on?

What if you didn't have balls due to an accident or the result of cancer?

What if you were a female?

I give it a 1 out of 10. They need to up their nerdrage game.

Post edited by Kilmeran on
  • Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328

I barely get ridiculed by survivors for playing bad or playing well. Recently I've been getting sarcastic messages from them though, followed by a "GG".

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,140

Yeah but mario kart is fun to win in. I can shoot a blue shell to hit 1st place to win.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

Just close the end chat if on PC. Or set messages to private if on console. There will be people who are awful regardless of the role they play.

• EpicBigBrain
    EpicBigBrain Member Posts: 177

Jokes on me, I play on xbox and I still get salty babies type up my gamer tag to message me for god knows what 🙄

• Z3r0Fear
    Z3r0Fear Member Posts: 9

Try playing as a survivor where you never win that's a lot less fun then losing as killer believe me.

• FlamingkittyUmad
    FlamingkittyUmad Member Posts: 313

If reading a few mean words in the end of game lobby is too much for you, I'm pretty sure you can have that window close by default. killers bully during the match and survivors bully in the end chat, that's literally the only power survivors have unless you have other friends to SWF up with or get very lucky with queuing, you're ######### ed

• Ghostwithaface
    Ghostwithaface Member Posts: 594

Yeah a face camping bubba or Wraith that is just afk all game is understandable, since you didn't really play the game but rather a hold m1 gen or for the person on the hook vs the bubba, a mash space bar and give your team as much time as possible and possibly derank, due to not being able to get any hook saves, chases or anything else.

Which also reminds me of how some find farming boring and will yell at killers for farming when they just wanna play the game normally. That and well i would say most people who play the game, are there to play it normally. Even if there were four or five cakes. So if everyone plays the game normally, even if there are four or five cakes, if it doesn't end in like five minutes, everyone should get enough blood points to finish one level 50 blood web and get another cake or two. With possibly a few blood points left over for part of a second blood web. So it's no matter what the killer does. If they play the game normally, they get yell at. If they farm, they will get yet at. So might as well play the game normally and ensure your event cake goes to good use. That and if anyone take issue with that, well they sound like they don't wanna play the game.

Yet yeah, killers get blame for alot of things under the sun or all of them get thrown into one group. For you will see people call killers the scum of the earth, due to facing the one face camping bubba and than think all killers act that way. For rather than thinking oh yeah that is one person, na everyone who has ever played killer must act like that. For if a killer has two people in the basement, that is a strong position for a killer to be in, they would have to be a very nice guy to give up two hooks in the basement, for one person. For alot of things people blame killers for, are just doing the thing that makes the most logical sense for the killer to win. That and if someone uses a haddonfield offering or the legion map offering while i'm playing as a survivor, i figure the killer is not going to show us any mercy, due to how "fun" these maps are for killers. Since i would say hawkins is not as bad for survivor as everyone makes it out to be or the game for that matter with all of these pallets around. Just need some map knowledge and how to run the loops. Along with a team that knows how to do gens.

I have experience dying on first hook as well this week as survivor. Solo survivor just makes me wanna play killer. Since as killer, at least i can get more blood points if nothing else. Since solo survivor is very much a coin flip, you will get decent team mates or the most boosted animals you have ever seen in your life, that will feed the killer their power, be scared of touching gens, ect ect ect. If they don't dc after getting down for the first time or upon their first hook, just to screw over the rest of their team for no real reason.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

Just because the game is a 4v1 doesn't automatically mean you are going to get 'bullied'. This is far from the truth.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Yep as killer half your games are a toxic bowl of crap. Made worse by the bad match making. But what you gonna do eh?

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,307

I quite simply don't care what people say. My Steam profile has been private for a long time, and if someone says something actually bannable post-game I report it. I honestly don't care at all if people want to just call me bad or spam gg ez, it's completely irrelevant at the end of the day.

• Erk
    Erk Member Posts: 230

Easy. Type "gg wp all, have a nice day and gl on your next trial" and just close the chat or leave.

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259

I'm with the guy who said he's too old to argue with people in video games. I get it though, I really do, especially when it feels like an unjust victory. The game is pretty imbalanced. Keys, 4 man SWF, bad match making, bugs... But knowing that, it's best to just not engage. Plus, you're meant to lose sometimes even when it is a balanced game.

Anyways, I'd close chat or take a break as suggested. Forcing yourself to play will just make you dislike the game more, and games are never meant to not be fun. I love cosmetics, but they aren't worth being unhappy over.

• CrusaderNella
    CrusaderNella Member Posts: 331

There are two types of people in a game i find.

Yesterday, i went with a meme MAXIMUM HEX build on Hag. Ran Hex Ruin, Hex Thrill of the Hunt, Hex Noed and Hex Huntress' Lullaby.

First game, i got a 2K and was insulted and spat on. I'm a toxic tunneller who abuses Hex perks and should uninstall the game i was called. I didn't tunnel that game, and i played decently. I only slightly camped a steve when i hooked him in front of the open exit gate (Because i mean, he is hooked infront of the open exit gate....) but i was generally not toxic.

Following game, it also went well ish, they started cleaning my totems and we have a good and fun game. I couldn't tell if they were a SWF group or not but they were good sports and were very fun. Got a 3k at the end and i awaited the salt at the end.

Instead they said gg wp and one guy said, "Sir, you are a registered Hex Offender."I laughted my arse off at them and for that I upvoted them all, and i even befriended them. They were really nice survivors.

So this game has its up and down moments.

• BlindMole
    BlindMole Member Posts: 649

Ever since i turned off messages and friend requests on my Ps4 i feel light as a feather when playing this game.

• DingDongs
    DingDongs Member Posts: 684

But in a same time I wish i could report toxic user in order to make game less toxicity