The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why did Ruin get nerfed for being "overused"?

CrowFoxy
CrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,310

If I'm not mistaken, a little while ago some guy did a test of like 100 matches and ended up concluding that perks like Adrenaline and DS, were used in almost every single match. Wasn't it in like the 70s or 80s as far as usage at high ranks?

I'm not even saying DS should be nerfed. But it does show that sometimes these perks aren't looked at in the same light and I wonder why.

Comments

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197

One persons experiences does not account for full representation across all games.

The most used survivor perk was Self Care which I think every killer is happy to see survivors bring!

As for Ruin - it was found to only effect new players significantly and barely noticed by veteran players. It was also a passive perk that would work consistently without having to do anything.

• CronaWins
    CronaWins Member Posts: 650

In other words, it was changed to cater to new players who can't hit skill checks instead of balancing the game at the standard level of play.

• SoySensual
    SoySensual Member Posts: 75

thanks, you guys are ruining the game with your nerffs and preferences with the toxic and weeping community but thanks

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,768
    edited July 2020

Geez, people are still complaining about the Ruin nerf? It's been several months and the change was a good one. Get over it.

Ruin is still a solid perk and I think they did a great job with the rework. They also buffed Pop and nerfed coop repairs and toolboxes around the time they nerfed Ruin, so don't forget that.

Pop is more fair than old Ruin because it requires the killer to have half a brain to get good use out of it, but I actually liked playing against old Ruin more than I like playing against Pop. On most maps you could just find the totem and then your mid and late game was pretty easy. Meanwhile Pop is useless in the early game, but it is often overwhelming in the late game if survivors aren't good enough with their gen spacing (doesn't need to be a three gen; an in-between layout is enough). Also, unlike Ruin there's not much survivors can really do about it unless they're already ahead at that point. In a SWF it's easy on most maps to make sure you're spacing your gens far apart in the late game, but good luck doing that on a map like The Game or as a solo queue survivor.

Post edited by notstarboard on
  • th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,837

True they definitely could have done it all at once but the results on the PTB are from a small portion of the community and people always have issues finding serious games on the ptb that aren't without one dc or people throwing just because. In my opinion the results they got from pushing the ruin change onto live servers which effect everyone not just on steam.

It definitely seems like it was stupid but I certainly couldn't expect the changes made following the ruin change if they didn't have accurate data on how fast gen speeds were on every level and how toolboxes were without the passive slowdown ruin did.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

Yeah 15 seconds isnt sognificant imo. The games that are close enough to be decided by 15 seconds are very few and far between. Most games its either killer wins with 1 or 2 gens left, or all the gens get done and 3 to 4 escape. Im not saying theres nothing in between theyre just more rare from my experience

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

This is the thing that gets the people upset: you said 80% usage is the thing why you looked at it and then you figure out what makes it frustrating, while the correct question would be why it is used in 80% of the games.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

Also introducing another perk with Gearhead (nb after the Ruin change) that triggers on skillchecks

• Kagrenac
    Kagrenac Member Posts: 773

It was stupid af and was too volatile

It punished newer players

Prevented vets from doing anything with newer players

It was a gamble as to how well it would work because skill checks are inconsistent.

It made no sense as a perk. It's better now on killers who can actually keep up pressure like Billy, Nurse, Spirit, Oni, etc.

• Stuballs89
    Stuballs89 Member Posts: 89

Are you being serious?

The totem placements are absolutely stupid so hex:ruin is normally cleansed within the first couple of minutes of the match anyway. So the fact that you are saying that it is more useful late game doesn't make sense. I think I will be lucky if my hex:ruin is still up end game in 1/30 matches. I had a game earlier where both of my totems were right next to gens. As in, you could be doing a gen, turn your head and see a totem. Maybe there should be a line of code that means that live totems are never placed directly next to gens. Just a thought.

There are perks that you will come across most survivors running. Almost every single game. Have you taken a look at any of those and if so what plans do you have to remedy this.

Have you guys come up with a plan regarding SWF balancing. As I am seeing it, you are making the game easier and easier and easier for survivors whislt taking away a killers best tools. Any thoughts on what could be done to limit the usefulness of having a full squad.

Maybe have a separate lobby for SWF teams. Make it so that survivors can join 2 queues? One where you can play with friends and earn limited bloodpoints and a solo lobby. The solo lobby would have be devoid of the plus symbols or friends list. Making it impossible to add friends.

Or maybe make it so that if an SWF group is detected then the killer automatically gets the corruption perk on top of the other perks they are running.

• hahadrillgobrrr
    hahadrillgobrrr Member Posts: 953

Funny how you misspelled survivors as newer players. Glad I could help you with that.

• Dead_by_Gadfly

The issue wasnt that it was changed. Its that it was changed without compensating/addressing why it was needed so much and and the communication that came with it. It would be like if they completely changed bt tomorrow and their reason was "its to frustrating for new killers to play against" people would lose their ######### no matter what other reasons they gave and if thd change was valid or not (note: bt is fine, that was just an example)

• Dead_by_Gadfly

Worse, what if a new killer gets hit with a deliverance/ds combo 10 feet from an open exit gate

• CrowFoxy
    CrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,310

Guess you should've just hooked that guy earlier in the game 4head /s

• mosheon970
    mosheon970 Member Posts: 215

u mean people dont like to learn to use skillchecks or clean totems so u ruined ruin lel, make sense mate... as survivor i hit all those skillchecks so it didnt bother me at all, it was very cool but now skillchecks on gens are child play. so meh thats boring gameplay right there genrushing aint fun.

• mosheon970
    mosheon970 Member Posts: 215

they ruined ruin for the sake of the lower ranks because they were lazy and didnt look for totems, actually they should have better guide to teach them how to cleanse hex totems instad of nerfing ruin.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

They said it was nerfed because of passive pressure but resilience is a passive perk is it going to get nerfed because it gives passive gen and chase pressure with faster vaults. Im being sarcastic but still only the new people were upset because the tutorial didnt teach what hex perks are

• Rescultir
    Rescultir Member Posts: 185
    1. Why are nubs being matched with Vets? Only time I see that is when vets would group up with them to get easier games to boost their ranks.
    2. The risk is the totem spawning beside a gen or out in the open because totem spawns are trash. especially if they get it at the start of the match which would also leave a killer with a wasted perk slot.
    3. I have done a few gens with only 3 skill checks popping up and sometimes I wouldn't even get 1 when playing survivor. It felt like a killer running ruin just buffed skill checks so people could fly through it easier (which most high ranks did) so I don't know where you're getting your information from but it doesn't seem right to me.
  • Rescultir
    Rescultir Member Posts: 185
    edited July 2020

yea... but that dedicated server meme is still true. still rely on your internet being good enough or for some reason the game matches you up with some random server that's no where near you. I like the Doc changes though, a killer should be able to gain some information to decide what to do next.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Just a quick question, what do you guys think of how Ruin is doing now? I am genuinely curious, and I've switched over to playing almost entirely Survivor, so I hope I'm not biased either way!