Why Baldi from Baldi's Basics is a better candidate for killer than Springtrap from FNAF

Options
2»

Comments

• Honkerton
    Honkerton Member Posts: 24
    Options

That's the whole point of this post though, making an equally outlandish suggestion to everyone who are spamming the forums with "Please add Springtrap to DbD" posts and trying to justify why Springtrap would be a great addition to the DbD roster. I find it ironic how people defend the idea of adding a cartoony character from a jumpscare fiesta game into DbD but Baldi is just TOO much. The thing is, what makes my opinion about Baldi fitting perfectly DbD less worthy or less credible than all of the opinions about Springtrap?

As you can see even if this is in general a joke topic, a good lot of people would prefer seeing Baldi in DbD over Springtrap. Besides, BHVR did want to have a teacher killer at some point, so Baldi fits that entire niche very well.

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

The story is basically a guy that murdered some kids and now the spirits of said kids possess the animatronics. And I think the original murder possesses one too (Springtrap)?

I personally don’t see that as an “amazing story”. If the developer has to come out and steer his audience, that’s poor storytelling.

• JephKaplan
    JephKaplan Member Posts: 308
    Options

To answer the title: Because everything is better, give me baldi chapter NOW someone start a petition and spam it on their twitter cuz thats how it works

• Tactless_Ninja
    Tactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791
    Options

Death to Smoochy as a killer.

Why? It stars Robin Williams. Everyone loves Robin Williams.

It also has very deep lore. Smoochy works with the Irish mafia, but also wants to bring smiles to children.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416
    edited July 2020
    Options

Thing is, Baldis basics is a 2 year old slender clone with all of one game. FNAF is a 6 year old game with seven mainline entries, 3 book series, and soon to be a movie. Not to mention, FNAF is grounded in reality like all other licences we currently have, baldis takes seemingly place in the vaccum of space. Just like FNAF, Halloween, NOEM, and ST to name a few, if you were to leave the place of conflict (ie leave the pizzeria, lab, nightmare, or haddonfield), you would probably have a normal life, no other issues would arise and you would be fine. Now imagine going home in baldis world, do you have any idea what would happen? No, It would be unpredictable and you still might be in trouble considering you were almost just killed over a math question. I don't have a problem with your opinion, if you honestly prefer Baldi over FNAF thats fine, but your points to validate your preference are just flat out incorrect. And you seem to have made this to spite FNAF fans who keep annoying the forums with FNAF talk, however you don't seem to have realized that your only contributing to the problem. I don't find critique of a potential FNAF chapter wrong, its kinda the point of the forum to debate and critique stuff, but you can't critique FNAF and get mad at the fans who would defend it and then critique Baldi or something else, they're just doing what your doing at that point.

Post edited by SCP_FOR_DBD on
  • NightmareReborn
    NightmareReborn Member Posts: 810
    Options

Ehhhhh, that's part of it. The story goes a lot more in depth, but I'll spare you the mouthful (unless you want me to tell you).

However, I think there is a misconception about how FNaF's story is layed out. The creator isn't trying to tell us a story, he's giving us clues to figure one out, and many FNaF fans are drawn back into the series to theorize, which in turn keeps the series alive.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    Options

I fully agree with the sentiment here. The points you brought up all made sense, but theres just one problem; Silent Hill. The Silent Hill games people actually like all use fixed cameras, atmospheric music, and gunplay, none of those things translate into DBD at all. Yet here we are. Not to mention FNAF has shown itself capable of deviating from the fixed angle with games like Help wanted or the AR game.

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

This is the analysis I wanted to do, but don’t have time for. +1 Vote Up.

• Honkerton
    Options

I'm just making a compelling argument as to why Baldi's Basics should be considered just as much as one would consider FNAF. Baldi's Basics has two games (Classic and Plus), no books or movies, but I believe the reason there isn't any books or movies is because the developer doesn't need alternative ways to tell the story about Baldi because the story in the game is sort of convoluted and obscure. It's simple, you're a student in a school, and Baldi's there to teach you a lesson, one way or another. Why do you need any explanation about what happens outside of the school? What happens in FNAF outside of the places that are haunted by Chuck-e-cheese animatronics? Presumably life carries on normally. Unless FNAF happens in Hell or Purgatory and those restaurants or whatever they are are surrounded by void.

I understand if you don't like Baldi's Basics but I would genuinely appreciate if you ceased trying so hard to discredit my opinions or trying to suppress this. There's like over 100+ threads asking for FNAF stuff and only one regarding Baldi's Basics.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    Options

It's not about what happens outside of the school. It's about the world building, and FNAFs is more consistent with the other licences. My example about leaving the place of conflict wasn't about if it matters, its about what you would expect if it did happen. And I have a suspicion the reason there aren't any books or movies about baldis is because it's only 2 years old and the focus is on the gameplay rather than the story. I'm not trying to discredit your opinion, I'm discrediting the arguments your using because they're flat out incorrect. Furthermore, you made this about FNAF, you used the same regurgitated arguments that just don't work. If you want to make a purposeful thread about Baldi's basics that's fine. But this thread isn't about baldis basics. It's you giving ten joke reasons for why you would want baldi and then using objectively wrong arguments about FNAF. I actually like baldis basics, I find the characters charming and the art style nostalgic, I also appreciate the gameplay because it's an actually skill based take on slenders gameplay. And I would be fine with it getting a chapter if done right. But why did you post on the forums if you didn't expect your opinion to be challenged? That's basically the whole point of the forums. I'm sorry if I've upset you, but I'm being as objective as possible.

• Honkerton
    Options

Okay okay but the most compelling argument here: Baldi's Basics is free, FNaF is not. What is there more to argue about? Baldi's Basics is clearly a better setting.

• Bradyguy99
    Bradyguy99 Member Posts: 226
    Options

Didn't stop him from doing millions of funkos. Beside he would make money off it as well.

• NightmareReborn
    NightmareReborn Member Posts: 810
    Options

"These are honest to god reasons why Fnaf shouldn't be in the game, from the mouth of "The King Of Five Night's At Freddy's" himself."

This is incredibly out of context, almost to the point where it's wrong. In no way, shape or form was he referring to Dead by Daylight or Springtrap. Hell, I'm not even sure Mark knows what DbD is. The reason why I linked the video wasn't to prove how FNaF would fit in DbD; it was to exemplify how the FNaF fanbase has matured over time.

Any movie, TV show, or videogame doesn't necessarily have to line up with DBD's style 1:1. Bill is from the L4D series, and that's a zombie shooter, with very few traditional horror/slasher elements. As SCP explained, Silent Hill falls into this category as well. People are questioning if Stranger Things even counts as horror. The Pig being considered a traditional slasher is also a little shaky. In no way does source material have to necessarily align with DbD's atmosphere or in-game functionality. Springtrap isn't far out from being a slasher himself, having killed upwards of a dozen innocent children. Considering all of these other unique slashers we have in DbD, Springtrap wouldn't be a stretch by any means.

"Something about the elements of this particular version of the game was all in the unknown"

I have to restate that this was taken out of context. This was Markiplier reflecting back on the first game, and how the mechanics, characters and environment were all foreign to him when he first played it. He was talking about his personal experiences, and it has absolutely 0 relation to Dead by Daylight or Springtrap.

With maybe the exception of the first game (maybe) and the sixth, FNaF has never really crutched on the unknown, and especially in the recent games, since the horror is more up-front than ever before. The concept of the unknown isn't foreign to DbD either. Ghostface and Myers have their whole ability centered around stealth, and survivors not being aware of their presence.

Springtrap canonically died, and was sent to purgatory to repent for all of the children he killed. It was told to the player that he'd be going to hell after, so it makes no sense why he couldn't have just gone to the entity's realm instead. He's been in purgatory before, who's to say he can't be in another one?

"you can't see it, you don't get a good look at em, like you know he's coming but you don't really know what's going on there."

Again, this wasn't in the context of Springtrap. In FNaF 3 (the one where Springtrap makes his appearance), there's really nothing that's hidden from you. You can clearly see him when he's there. He's always been one of the more "active" characters in the series. You can sometimes see him run down a corridor, he'll occasionally stalk you from around a corner, and in the newer games, he sometimes talks to you (this last feature isn't limited to him, but he's the only animatronic with a human voice, which makes him less of a traditional animatronic).

"Just look at the angles that were chosen"

I guess this is somewhat valid, but as someone who's played most of the FNaF games, the camera angles never really stuck out to me as anything extraordinary. I guess that's more of a personal thing.

"It is such an efficient experience, it is exactly what it needs to be and no more, period."

"This is the end all be all of the possibility of Fnaf getting into Dead By Daylight"

Even if I didn't like FNaF, I'd still disagree here. People will request it until the day it gets in, just like any other character. And just like any other character, it has it's fair share of supporters. With both, BHVR and Scott Cawthon being aware about the demand, I wouldn't exactly say its unlikely. I'm not saying it's going to be the next chapter or anything, but it's more than possible in the future.

"You would have to sacrifice all it's tension, mystery, jumpscares, and theme to integrate it into Dead By Daylight simply because Dead By Daylight does each of these things in a far more different way than Fnaf."

Sacrifice tension? If anything, DbD would increase the tension that would already come with a FNaF character, but of course, it might depend on the power/perks/addons he would have, but I can guarantee you, it would not decrease the level of tension that FNaF has in any way. Sacrifice FNaF's mystery? FNaF has a ton of lore that doesn't relate to William Afton directly, nor would DbD necessarily spoil that lore. Dead by Daylight would most likely throw out jumpscares, but I don't think even FNaF fans would be sad to see them go. They're only a small part of FNaF in the grand scheme of things. As for the theme, I don't think it's different at all, and I think Springtrap would fit in seamlessly, but its up to interpretation since it all comes down to how you perceive the games to being with.

I'm not trying to bash on you for your opinion; think whatever you want. If you don't think it'd fit, that's fine. I think it would. We're allowed to have different opinions but maybe not on the internet for all I know. I can see where your concern comes from, but I personally don't believe any of those should be concerns.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    Options

That is true and would likely be a factor for the devs to consider. But it's not likely that would be a deal breaker for FNAF considering how much they've already spent on licencing so far, they're choice would likely depend on fan appeal and they're own personal opinion.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited July 2020
    Options

Except you completely overlooked the fact that Silent Hill much like Dead By Daylight, is a completely different kind of horror game from Fnaf. You're right it uses fixed camera angles in order to benefit it's horror atmosphere and heighten the tension in the game in a very similar way that fnaf does. However this is about where the similarities between the two end without making broad general statements like "they're both scary".

In Silent Hill 2 you play an active role as the character of James Sunderland, he can move around evading the various Dangers in the Fog covered town of Silent Hill, he has access to multiple different kinds of weapons in order to fight back like Guns and your classic 4 x 4 plank of wood. Pyramid Head as an antagonist functions the same way, he's a clear threatening presence that you can very obviously see whenever he's coming for you and nonetheless that he still remains a very intimidating and imposing figure as he lumbers toward you with malicious intent.

In this way, Silent Hill 2 (& 3, which plays basically the same as the second game) is far more similar to Dead By Daylight than it ever would be to any individual title in the entire Fnaf franchise. You play as an average everyday character in a supernatural setting posed against supernatural odds, rather than an average everyday character in a grounded setting posed against supernatural odds. You play an active role in both titles, actively running, hiding, and sometimes fighting back against the dangers you're up against to survive, rather than a passive role where you're forced to act defensively in an idle position which you can do nothing about. The antagonists in both DBD and SH are both clear and obvious threats to your life, plain and simple hunting you down approaching you very linearly walking or running towards you, rather than having obscure movement patterns meant to illustrate how unnatural the situation you're placed in is. etc. so on and so forth

I don't want to drone on all day but these are the primary reasons that diverge a game like Silent Hill from Five Night's At Freddy's, Silent Hill much like Dead By Daylight is fundamentally a different experience than Five Night's and for that reason it is fundamentally fitting to include it as another chapter in Dead By Daylight. Much like other similar titles like Outlast, The Evil Within, etc. all horror games and video game licenses that share enough qualities and characteristics with Dead By Daylight to warrant considering their inclusion. Five Night's at Freddy's, plain and simply, does not.

Not to mention, even if that point was true it's still a very small comparison that has no bearing on multiple of the points I brought up in my original post.

It's not taken out of context in the slightest, and I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying that mark is directly saying any of the points I mentioned, he obviously doesn't talk about Dead By Daylight at all (though I'm fairly certain he did a video on the game a long time ago in the past).

What I am doing however, is taking his quotes, things that he said about the franchise as someone who is so experienced with it, and has played all the games, up to their most difficult potential, and done it for years, I'm taking his words describing the first game and by extension the franchise as a whole, and using those quotes to extrapolate a message from them. That message being, why Fnaf should not be in Dead By Daylight. In short: because they are fundamentally different experiences that don't fit together in multiple aspects - from gameplay, to theme, to the different elements of horror that are employed in either title, etc.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and for the matter I don't believe that's taking anything out of context at all. I am simply taking the context of his video, his comments on it, and applying them to the context of our current conversation. It was you who decided to post the video after all to try and use it as some kind of proof for why Fnaf should be in the game, therefore it's just as much fair game for me to swoop in and say "no, this proves the opposite". Whether you agree with that or not is none of my concern.

I won't comment on the entirety of your thread as I still believe my original post stands and speaks for itself, however I will address this:

"Any movie, TV show, or videogame doesn't necessarily have to line up with DBD's style"

as probably your most valid and truthful statement. It's something I can't necessarily refute or deny and yet I still can't quite completely agree with it fully. There's a decently large leap that you make from going to the licenses in Dead By Daylight, vs. Fnaf it's a title that I think stands too far out of the realm within which Dead By Daylight as a horror experience and video game title operates in. But I do recognize the validity of your point.

However even if it wasn't a factor, at the end of the day there is simply a cultural difference between the fanbase of fnaf and the fanbase of Dead By Daylight which is something you'd be hard pressed to prove wrong. So as for things like this:

"People will request it until the day it gets in"

An equal if not greater number of people will request it not get in. I've said this once and I'll say it again, for every person that wants Fnaf in Dead By Daylight there are maybe three that don't. As active and lively as the movement to integrate fnaf into the game is, there is an equally active and lively if not greater presence of people who do not want to see it in the game.

Finally:

"With both, BHVR and Scott Cawthon being aware about the demand, I wouldn't exactly say its unlikely."

BHVR has hardly commented on the notion, but this is because they are notoriously secretive about plans regarding upcoming chapters. BHVR may be aware of a number of loud individuals who have been crying out to see fuzzy animatronics in their game, but they are also aware of the players who have been asking for reputable and recognizable characters like Pennywise, Jason, The Xenomorph, Pinhead, Candyman, etc. requests that have been ongoing for years and all of a sudden a relatively small group of people are going to cut in line on chapters that would be far more profitable? I don't think so.

As for Scott Cawthon he has not commented on the idea at all and for all I know, sure, maybe he's entirely on board and actually pushing for it to happen. But on the flip side for all you know he is more than actively against the idea of anyone that's not him laying their hands on his own creative property, the most successful thing in his career and he doesn't want to corrupt his own vision or the players vision of his games by letting someone else handle them.

Obviously BHVR is a successful and trustworthy company and the devs have more than proven their dedication to abiding as much as possible to the source material, but for all we know Cawthon could still get very antsy at the mere notion.

Thanks, yeah these posts can sometimes take some time I was actually just barely able to squeeze that one out before I had to quickly move on to do other things.

Post edited by Seiko300 on
  • SCP_FOR_DBD
    Options

I feel like you misunderstand me, I wasn't talking about Silent Hill as comparing it to FNAF, I was using it as a comparison for the logic. Furthermore, it's not just Silent Hill, Saw is known for sticking people in rooms and letting the traps do the work for them, it doesn't really get active (The exception being a few instances in 5 and 6 I believe). L4D is all about getting to the new area and surviving hords of zombies, yet bill has literally none of that. stranger things is also just as much about the character development and relationships as it is with the scary moments. FNAF has also taken a few steps to become more active, the book series is a good example, Help wanted has some light elements of this, so does the AR game. It is still way less active though. I do agree with everything else though, FNAF is way more divisive than everything else, so I feel like FNAF would be a better option a few years down the line, when FNAF has become more active and the community matures some more, and when we've got some of the bigger licenses.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Hopefully he could teach people in this community from whats toxic and whats not toxic. Instead of having them throw the word around as if its a ball.

• MeatBycicle
    MeatBycicle Member Posts: 756
    Options

Honestly at this point I'd rather have this than the cringy FNAF fanbase getting a killer in this game.

• f1uffykins
    f1uffykins Member Posts: 77
    Options

He was always a pedo.... Also the version of our Freddy is the one burned down in the factory

• f1uffykins
    Options

Things you got wrong about springtrap

1. He's yellow

2. William after never killed a child after turning into springtrap

3. He never really jumpscared just appeared in from of you lazily

4. Well ya

5. Just because he is cringe doesn't mean he won't work.

6. The targeted audience was mature rating but you can't stop a child from playing these games

7. Scott is a realistically gonna let them use the killer because if he was as protective over his franchise he wouldn't let his characters be used in spinoff games.

• Gilby
    Gilby Member Posts: 19
    Options
  • M4rkay
    M4rkay Member Posts: 30
    Options

Looking at this post brings me hope for a better game, you guys are hilarious!

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    Options

In the original series the main reason was for killing kids. He didn't get sexual till after he died. So some people theorized he might have been a pedo but it was never confirmed. The pedophilia wasn't an official part till the remake.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited July 2020
    Options

I could get behind that. Later down the line when DBD has already gotten more of the big licenses people are talking about now, I wouldn't mind Springtrap as much as I would now, at that point it would just add to the diversity of the roster in the game.

Right now though, I think a lot of people (myself included) were slightly disappointed with what came to be in chapter 17. Despite the fact I will say a lot of people were made extremely happy to see Silent Hill make it, many more were really betting on something far grander that we'd been waiting for for a long time like Pennywise, or hell Jason became more plausible than ever before I was half expecting to see an F13 chapter to be honest. Because of that I'm really looking forward for a hype movie license to make it in for chapter 18, and I know a lot of other people are as well.

But yeah, down the line, maybe I'll even be vouching for Fnaf too, anything can happen.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    Options

I was a little disappointed by chapter 16 too. It wasn't til I replayed SH2 that I became more on board with PH. My most wanted are still Jason, A Xeno, And my own personal favorite SCPs.

• f1uffykins
    Options

Ok fair but even still the one we got was the pedo if you read Quentin's backstory

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    Options

Yeah, I wish they would give him a skin based off the original series. But that doesn't seem possible.

• f1uffykins
    Options

Honestly the original freddy looked the scariest but we need speedo Quentin

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632
    Options

Yes and no.