Is spine chill meta now?

Options
FabsRinas
FabsRinas Member Posts: 169

I've been encountering a lot of survivors running it, both in video and in game, so I just wanted to see more people's opinion on SC.

Comments

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    edited July 2020
    Options

yes, not only does it give you info, it provides boost to speed up game.

It is not meta in the way Unbreakable,DS perks are, but yes many run it even in high ranks, its like a meta perk for the ones who arent following the killer around, teabagging etc,...

• Jukenobi
    Jukenobi Member Posts: 301
    Options

Probably one of the best perks out there atm. Gives information and increases gen repair speeds, totem breaking speeds etc. and Helps you vault faster in chase.

• Facture
    Facture Member Posts: 284
    Options

I've been addicted to it for a while now myself, and have seen a number of survivors use it in my killer games as well.

• Veen
    Veen Member Posts: 706
    Options

I mean it hard counters every stealth based killer in the game and monitor by warning you that the killer is facing your direction while being nearby.

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259
    Options

I mean for new players, it is meta. After my husband and I discovered it we ran it for ages, and he still does a lot. So even after you've put some time into the game, it's solid.

• DrDeepwound
    Options

There are players with over 7,000 hours in the game that run Spine Chill though.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    Options

Yeah its becoming more common. I had to walk backwards to a gen the other day due to a sneaky meg that kept disappearing anytime I got close.

Its more annoying on maps like hawkins because you have to focus so hard to make your way around that maze that you cant really afford to walk backwards

• cheetocultleader
    Options

Yeah I mean it's solid. Rank 1 meta? Maybe, but if it is it's just talked about less. Although I'm in the opinion you can run whatever you like and do just as well. I certainly do.

• DrDeepwound
    Options

definiteely, perkless is how you show how good you are <3

• Gylfie
    Gylfie Member Posts: 624
    Options

Honestly I can't play without it anymore. Massive help against stealth killers. And I can't count the amount of times it has saved me when I was the last survivor left trying to open the exit gate. It lets you know when it's safe and gives you that little extra bit of speed you need to get the gate open before you get smacked.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

My first game as wraith in ages featured 3 spine chills and one premonition...

I think some people got into spine chill and resilience doing the vault speed thing and realising these perks are still decent on their own.

• cheetocultleader
    Options

No Mither though. I felt like a beast when I got David's adept. The only survivor sided thing I can think of that would be harder is No Mither with OoO & no other perks. 👀

• TheLastGreatStar
    TheLastGreatStar Member Posts: 1,002
    Options

It’s one of my favourite perks. I love it. But, whenever I can tell survivors are using it in my killer matches I just moonwalk towards generators to surprise them. 😈 😂

• Supernaut
    Supernaut Member Posts: 1,523
    Options

I tried to run Premonition just to be cool, but Spine Chill is the bomb.

Sorry Stealth killers!

• Gmoose17
    Gmoose17 Member Posts: 49
    Options

Well. Considering I chose Spine chill as my icon on here. I feel I’m obligated to say something... but everyone else has pretty munch summed it up. It’s a solid perk I mainly use for stealth killers and also gives a slight boost in pretty much everything.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

Honestly I can't help but laugh. 6 months ago people were dismissing Spine Chill as being a noob perk. Then people actually used it and realized how damn good it is. I actually stopped using it recently because I don't want to become dependent on it.

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171
    Options

I mean, it's always been a decent perk, but until relatively recently there were never that many Stealth Killers that you needed it for.

Wraith isn't fully invisible, Huntress' 40 meter lullaby was directional so you could listen and figure out her position, Tier 1 Michael was immune and has very audible heavy breathing, Old Freddy and Old Hag (who had stealth builds) were seen as jokes, and Pig uncrouched and crouched even more slowly than she does now: so she couldn't usually get a grab off on you unless you derped.

Sprint Burst also used to be meta, and it basically hard countered most of the ambush tactics.

With Ghostface, Deathslinger, Dark Devotion, Tinkerer, and Undetectable being things now, Spine Chill is a lot more valuable.

If it's meta or not, I couldn't tell you, but it's certainly more used and more useful nowadays than it was in the past.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

It is probably the best Universal Perk available to survivors (I think a close second is the revamped Kindred).

It can pretty nicely be splashed into nearly any build. It provides useful information (and a 'lil boost) against any killer, but the knowledge it provides can give survivors a solid leg-up to disrupt killers that rely on stealth/surprise (Ghost Face, Myers, Wraith, Pig, Spirit), or give an advantage against killers benefiting from small/quiet/lullaby terror radii (Deathslinger, Oni, Huntress, Freddy). It can even give a heads up when a high-mobility killer is rapidly speeding your way.

I'd loosely equate Spine Chill to the killer perk Whispers. It is VERY easy to become so comfortable with using these perks that you just toss them in every loadout for the small use they consistently give you.

However, though it isn't something I consider truly overpowered, I do think Spine Chill deserves a nerf to either reduce its activation range against killers who are Undetectable, or change how the perk presents its information (possibly purely seen through faster actions/channeling instead of the perk lighting up).

• ZerLukas
    ZerLukas Member Posts: 294
    Options

It's a perk I recently re-discovered for myself and it is surprisingly good. I started using it over Empathy as a primary information perk.

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    hillbillyclaudmain69 Member Posts: 1,528
    Options

I use it every build as it counters spirit and all stealth killers, gives speed boosts, and I use it with resilience to vault 15 percent faster.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069
    Options

Yep. Basically counter all the stealthy killers.

• Azgard12
    Azgard12 Member Posts: 335
    Options

I say this as 80% survivor main:

This shouldn't work on stealth killers.

But yeah, I use it on every survivor I can.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957
    Options

Spine Chill was always 'meta'. It's just a good perk. Pretty much a must have in all situations.

• H3xB0rr0w3dT1m3
    H3xB0rr0w3dT1m3 Member Posts: 188
    Options

It’s a meta perk for people who don’t want to get chase besides the occasional vault speed build

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,289
    Options

It has always been relatively common (and good) if you ask me. Not only does it work wonders against stealth killers, but it's obviously good for those who play "immersed" as well. Say what you want about the playstyle, it's a good perk for it.

Oh, and the vaulting build with resilience of course. That build gaining popularity certainly made spine chill appealing to even more players.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

I'd like to point out that the rise of Spine Chill started after the Undetectable status effect was introduced. This change reduced the power of Object of Obsession against stealth Killers, so more people switched to Spine Chill to counter stealth.

As time has gone on, certain Killers have been nerfed and stealth Killers have become more popular, so Spine Chill has more value.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,206
    Options

i use it i love the kitty:3

• ThisGuuy83
    ThisGuuy83 Member Posts: 1,303
    Options

It either needs a cooldown, or anyone who runs it doesn't see the red stain of the killer. It's an overpowered perk that cripples stealth and slower killers. You will never sneak up on someone running it. And I don't have Michael Jackson as a killer, so I shouldn't have to moonwalk all over the map just to catch those little rabbits.

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882
    Options

I understand why it's used by a ton of survivors, but part of me believes it turns some people into terrible survivors. Why is that? They'll rely on it too much that when they don't equip it, they'll have trouble rotating their camera to spot stealth killers. Also, we could be working on a gen that is almost done, but because my other team mate has spine chill, they'll run away instead of comitting to finishing it.

• OutcastEric
    OutcastEric Member Posts: 495
    Options

Its always been top tier, just nobody knew about it. Ive used it forever. One of the if not the strongest survivor perk in the game to be honest. It makes it to where the killer has literally no chance of sneaking up on you unless they suspect you have it and walk backwards to your location the whole game

• TrevorLahey93
    TrevorLahey93 Member Posts: 170
    Options

I never run without spine chill. I probably lean on it way too much but it's so damn good.