How much for a decent PC to play DBD?

I need a computer that can run Dead by Daylight smoothly, nothing crazy. For anybody that is knowledgeable about PC, how much would that cost (minimum estimate)? Any suggestions?

I'm literally clueless. I play on the switch and would like to upgrade at some point. Juts wondering what the price is looking like.

Comments

• awustzdn
    awustzdn Member Posts: 317

Given the game is old and ugly and everyone plays on Low settings anyway for an advantage, you can play it on a potato. As long as it has something slightly better than motherboard-integrated graphics processing you're good to go. Looking at somewhere around $500 for bottom of the barrel.

• Zaitsev
    Zaitsev Member Posts: 1,285

Well I paid about 850 USD for a laptop that runs just about anything.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

Maybe around $500?

For reference, I play on a $1000 laptop, and even though I have a strong graphics card and processor, DBD takes a TON of resources to run even on low settings.

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824

It'd be better to have a budget and then try to find your best deal for that budget.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

I splashed out pretty big for one that runs at a smooth uncapped 144 at ultra but as you can tell that was overkill beyond belief.

If you want a couple things I'd recommend:

16gb RAM (2*8 GB sticks) is more than enough and having the RAM be dual-channel (2 sticks not one) is usually better.

If you don't mind waiting a bit, if the AMD Zen 4 series drops then the Ryzen 7 3700x (a gorgeous CPU) will be relatively cheap. Of course a Ryzen 5 runs it like butter too (I think I hit 11% on my Ryzen 7 on Ultra so the 5 should be more than enough).

In terms of a graphics card, the Gigabyte GTX 1060 does more than enough. This shouldn't be too expensive but at the same time I'm not too masterful in terms of GPUs.

Cooling wise you can easily get away with fans and thermal paste if liquid cooling is too much. Just make sure your case gets enough ventilation and you're good to go.

Run the game off of an SSD- they're much faster than a HDD (Hard drive) but you don't need to go as far as an .M2 which are pretty expensive.

Build your PC, don't have it made for you or get a pre-made one. This alone saves so much money it's unreal.

If any of this was unclear I'm sorry, it's like 2:10am for me right now. Let me know and I'll try and clear it up for you.

• hahadrillgobrrr
    hahadrillgobrrr Member Posts: 953

I would not get a laptop. If you build tower, you can always upgrade it later. You can't do that with laptops. And towers in general have better efficiency because of better cooling capacity. Something like Ryzen 5 3600 and GTX 1660 gets you quite a long way without upgrading.

• timbologna
    timbologna Member Posts: 348

I paid 1000 for my hp omen, id suggest it. a nice rgb headset and laptop is only about 300 extra

• GoodBoyKaru

Okay update: did the maths for a-

-Gigabyte 6GBGTX 1060

-Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2*8) DDR4

-Ryzen 5 3600

-Samsung 500GB SSD

Came up to £560. Factoring in a good case with enough ventilation and thermal paste should take you to about £700 which can run this game on low easily.

• shanny_boi
    shanny_boi Member Posts: 146

I think I get what you guys are saying. I'll save up and build my own PC, instead of getting a laptop, to save money and get better performance. Thanks for the huge help @GoodBoyKaru, I'll definitely look into all of that.

• GoodBoyKaru

Nw lad; I'm in no ways a tech expert but let me know if you need some more help

• Financial_Stability
    Financial_Stability Member Posts: 466

I built one that did 60fps in 75% resolution for 200 a few years ago. Get an old office pc and slap in a 1650 or something that doesn't require a power connector and you're set.

Gotta make sure the form factor of the case is right though.

• Babyyy_Boyy
    Babyyy_Boyy Member Posts: 444

Just switched to PC almost a month ago. I bought a prebuilt from Best Buy. It was $850 plus $50 tax and it included a mouse and Keyboard. I really only bought it for DBD because console is so bad. I bought a 144hz Curved monitor For around $150 I believe. And so far dbd works like a charm for me. Only thing is, PC survivors and Killers are so sweaty on pc it’s ridiculous. I thought Xbox was worse.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

Dont trust the recommended or minimum requirements. The game is extremely poorly optimized.

• shyguyy
    shyguyy Member Posts: 298

I'd at least get an Intel Celeron processor and a 2080 Ti but the most important thing is making sure you get a solid operating system like Windows 95.

• tylerlogsdon1
    tylerlogsdon1 Member Posts: 158

Used dell optiplex, used gtx 1050ti, less than $150

• CrowFoxy
    CrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,310

Dbd is very poorly optimized.

But most potato PC's can run it at low, but even 2080 TIs struggle on Ultra.

I have a 1060, and get about 60 fps on low.