Fix the game freezing when there is an action like m1/killer bloodlust etc

smartemarte
smartemarte Member Posts: 254
edited July 2020 in General Discussions

how about instead of making over priced skins... fix the f'n game ?

i'm so tired of missing things because my game momentarily pauses when something happens...

|I've stopped using dead hard as survivor as it's too unpredictable, sometimes it will freeze just before i get to do it and i'm down .....

The killer gets blood lust - the game freezes for a second

i get m1'd by the killer my game pauses for a second and i come back just for him ready to hit me again

I just tried to stop someone unhooking a survivor and my game froze as he did it so he got out ...

it seems to be happening more with the new killer, it's got nothing to do with my system as i've seen it happen on a few and i run far superior games.

its infuriating that if you check back this has been going on for years with 0 input other than "check your internet"

Post edited by smartemarte on

Comments

• Ivaldi
    Ivaldi Member Posts: 977

+2 - I thought this was only me.. it happens all the time.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

Yeah its happened to me since 2018 on 2 different PCs. No idea what it is, but yeah that little hitch causes you to miss attacks

• animalmak
    animalmak Member Posts: 399

I was just talking to my friend about this the other day. Affects survivor side as well. The momentary freeze of a killer getting bloodlust has killed me mid-struggle even though I didn't miss the button. Definitely needs to be looked at!

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419

Happens occasionally the moment I activate an exhaustion perk

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

I've had this happen recently too and it can be quite the pain in the ass.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,765

All of this is even worse on Xbox. Come join us for the fun...

• smartemarte

It's infuriating that it has been an issue for literally YEARS but the only response i've seen from the devs is to check your internet....

i don't care how bad your internet is it shouldn't be causing these issues.

i'm also so sick of chasing a survivor and the game freezing for a second when something happens and i end up losing the chase because of it.

It's game breaking at times and it's starting to make me want to just delete the game the fact that it's just being ignored to pump out more skins.

• Ivaldi

I never had this issue before.. then once the Chains of Hate DLC got released it started happening all the time.

• smartemarte

not only do i hate the new map because of how one sided it is but I hate going up against the new killer because of the freezes which seem to be happening more with him ... so it's blatantly not an "internet issue" if more people are having the same problems with new content. They just keep releasing it without addressing old issues.

• MyWorldHasCome
    MyWorldHasCome Member Posts: 146

Never got any freezing in this game. I've like a second of lag when playing as a survivor i take off the "Haunted ground" Hex totem but nothing more... Can you kindly tell us how to reproduce this please?

I tried in a custom match just now:

• Bloodlust
    • Dead hard
    • Also, i was using Myers and tried using the M1 with Power in lv. 1, 2 and 3.

Is something im missing?

• smartemarte

its basically what you are getting with haunted ground but with loads of other actions too, if the killer gets bloodlust the game just momentarily freezes as it "catches up"

sometimes when you get hit by the killer it pauses for a second doing the same thing and by the time you get control back the killer m1's you again ...

a gen is just about to pop, no one escapes death pops for the first time etc

it's when ever something above the 'normal' game play happens.

• Vhaziri
    Vhaziri Member Posts: 20

Yeah, a friend has this problem as well. The amount of times he's missed an M1 due to getting bloodlust in that exact moment and the game freezes up for just a second.

• ItsJoshFFS
    ItsJoshFFS Member Posts: 7

+1

I have this too and it seems to me that it could be lag related; it seems the freeze happens because of the server taking over while it verifies if a hit connected or not.

It's an annoying issue but hopefully with the 60 tick changes coming it will fix it.

• MyWorldHasCome
    MyWorldHasCome Member Posts: 146

Oh yeah, the NOED hit with the survivors freezes aswell as the Haunted grounds, you're totally right, my bad!

• Leyoyo
    Leyoyo Member Posts: 105
    edited July 2020

I bet this game is a spaghetti code mess

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Yes please fix this BS.

• Ivaldi

@Peanits Any idea what could be causing this?

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547

well looks like I'm the only one who doesnt have lags in this game lol

• Pryzm
    Pryzm Member Posts: 393

Feels like it has gotten worse over the past few months.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

Personally I get no freezes playing on PC using with an i7 and gtx1070 with 16gb of ram.

Some more info could be helpful.

Platform you play on - steam, ms store, ps4, ps4 pro, xbox one, switch.

If on pc what are your specs and what graphics options do you run?

Does it happen every time or is it random?

Does it happen more on certain maps or versing certain killers?

• WTBacon
    WTBacon Member Posts: 593

I noticed this always happens when something occurs for the first time.

1. the first time the killer gains Bloodlust
    2. the first time the killer attacks anyone
    3. the first time Sloppy Butcher is applied (as killer and survivor)
    4. the first time getting shocked by Doctor
    5. pretty much every status effect / add-on

And it resets every match. So you go through the entire list every game, freezing every time.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

That's because the spaghetti code gets worse with each update, so the game becomes more demanding with each update.

The better the pc, the better it can compensate the bad programming of DbD. So some pc players have been dealing with this for ages, while others only for a short amount of time.

And since consoles can't compete with the processing power of a pc, it's even worse there.

• NoShinyPony

Take a look at my post above. I explained it in short.

• NoShinyPony

That's correct. At least on console, you can also add "when somebody opens a chest" to the list.

• smartemarte

i guess all we can do is keep posting about it ... if it gets enough traction then maybe they will be forced to acknowledge it.

NOED activated on a survivor stood next to me, game froze and just came back for the killer to hit me!

awful coding

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

But it happens for like a microsecond. Nothing too gamebreaking but I get why some people find it annoying.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

Believe me that this is still more than enough to make you miss an important hit as killer or to get hit as survivor.

• smartemarte

the whole game is about timing ..... it doesn't matter how long it is its enough for a killer to miss a hit, for a survivor to get downed etc etc

that is game breaking .... a microsecond can make the difference between getting a down or not or escaping or not

• smartemarte

too many people have this issue and just don't say anything, the quicker we get a huge thread going the sooner they have to acknowledge it

• Dweeteater
    Dweeteater Member Posts: 37

I made a post about this a few weeks ago but i thought it was only a console thing... Hmm

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723

@ItsJoshFFS I was just about to say the same thing. The increase in server ticks and feedback should fix this issue.

• smartemarte

bump. fix your game :)

just happened with a clown bottle so I couldn't throw a pallet down ....

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
  • AVoiceOfReason

@OniWantsYourMacaroni It's a bit of both but mainly server feedback trying to play catch up on the killer's side. When you down some survivors, they port backwards a step or two on the ground because of server feedback being different from the killer. Its what causes the jerking and Huntress hitting you around a corner. Optimization makes it just a bit worse.

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529
    edited July 2020

This thread gets a +1 from me.

In general the game has real bad optimisation. This can be circumvented on PC with the right amount of money, but console players are stuck with what they have. For the small maps, and outdated graphics, the game takes up way too many computer resources. I am afraid what will happen when the graphic update happens.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni

I'm pretty sure i had those problems even before dedicated servers

• AVoiceOfReason

@OniWantsYourMacaroni Ping played a big part. Grabs are not broken. Its the servers. When they roll out the extra feedback, we'll see a difference.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Is this a potential reason when I'm bearing down on a survivor I hit m1 and nothing happens resulting in an extension of chase, because it happens a lot. Especially when a perfectly timed lunge would have downed them at the vault/window but nope its not that I miss its that I never lunged in the first place.

• MiniPixels
    MiniPixels Member Posts: 536

Always thought it was just me, I'm upgrading my computer soon and switching out my gpu and cpu, and thought that might fix it, never knew it was a bug.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,200

It might be a video memory problem. I started noticing this after cosmetics were put in. I especially get a hiccup when there's excessive fog in play. This is on my work laptop where it's getting kind of dated; my home desktop is fine except for the occasional memory leak or whatever that makes me restart after a few hours.

• smartemarte

I can't say that i'm surprised it's still an issue even after all the graphical updates. Silly me thinking it would have been fixed!

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298

If your game is stuttering, try both of the following:

1) increase your virtual memory (paging file), even if you got decent RAM

2) restart the game every few matches. Dbd corrupts your memory for whatever reason, and you need to reboot the game once in a while to neglect this effect.

• smartemarte

it can happen randomly from first load up, i've tried increasing virtual memory but again it just randomly happens. I don't know what's worse, the fact that it's still happening after years of people complaining about it or the fact the only time they've responded about it is to say it's people's connections and not an issue on their side.

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298

Sad to hear it didn't work for you.

Dbd's optimization is at the very least questionable, indeed.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,144

I am so [BAD WORD]ing tired of the frames going to [BAD WORD] every [BAD WORD]ing time Bloodlust tiers up. For [BAD WORD]'s sake it's beyond time this [BAD WORD] got fixed.

As survivor, too, I can always tell when someone's doing something somewhere else on the map because of the way the frames drop. It's ridiculous how poorly this game plays.

• ImBrakingBike
    ImBrakingBike Member Posts: 454

I thought it was something on this side, looks like everyone's having this issue. I'm a survivor main tho, and I have the same problem with the game randomly freezing. I miss skill checks, I get stuck when trying to vault or just freeze while looping, and I end up getting hit.

• smartemarte

this is beyond a joke now it's actually getting worse

i've just had a myres tier 3 me without me knowing the game froze and i came back to him killing me .....

i opened a gate injured just as i heard killer heartbeat the game freezes i come back to the killer standing right next to me in the middle of m1

i used balanced landing after wasting killers time.... i hit the floor the game freezes for a second only to come back and have the killer m1 me...

it's pathetic that they refuse to acknowledge this issue, there is no way that this is my setup even running in low graphics it makes 0 difference.

had enough of it tonight it completely ruins games