So eh, what's the consensus on the DS, Unbreakable, Soulguard combo?

I don't want to put any opinions out there, but what do the people here think of it?

Comments

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929

just another combo that gives literally no chance to killers, since everything they do no matter what, the survivor is getting away (especially if you had adrenaline into the mix).

• undeadcookie
    undeadcookie Member Posts: 198

DS+Unbreakable is the Small PP build. Throw in Soul Guard and you've got the "I need a strap-on" build.

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752

I’ve tried all three before, sometimes run the small pp build too

its actually kinda meh, if you get picked up, sure you can DS them, but once it’s gone, your other two perks rely on being slugged and it can fall apart quickly

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,196

It's not used by many, so I don't really know what people are talking about there, but I versed it as slinger against a 3 man of it a few days ago.

It's the absolute most broken combo in this game, seriously, it's tragic. It hits hard at endgame or when you need to get someone out the match.

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826

It's just so hard to believe that it happens to everyone when I see no screen shots.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Anyone running DS/UB and actually trying to defend it is worthless as a player, because the only reason to defend it is if you rely on it, and the only reason to rely on it is if you:

1) Suck

2) Are an arse

Soul Guard is a bit of a weird one. It's more like BT in the sense that people can abuse it, but it's not the main issue. The main issue is that it makes the already-weak Hex perks even less useful.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

Never had it happen to me but I've used it on some poor souls.

Deliverenced at endgame, they couldn't touch me. Free escape for me and my team.

Absolutely ######### busted.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

I see DS and Unbreakable all the time in red ranks. Go on Twitch or YouTube if you want proof, streamers run into those perks almost every game. The reason these perks are a hot topic is because they're common. And now they're even more popular because content creators are complaining about them.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

The combo is surprisingly effective. I've used it a lot recently due to a lot of killers slugging and using perks such as Infectious Fright on Oni.

It's very powerful endgame. Most killers simply don't expect the Soul Guard, but I did play against someone with 7k hours who expected it and waited a few seconds before downing me. Made me feel powerless at that moment! But I was hooked away from the exit gates.

So with the current what seems meta, the combo of perks is incredibly useful because it helps counter slugging. Soul Guard is often overkill (and I would really prefer Iron Will in many situations), but it's a powerful and new perk that's fun to use as survivor.

I kind of feel bad for using the combo and have taken the perks off sometimes. But I often get killers holding nothing back with their builds, add-ons and slug relentlessly. So why should I feel bad for playing with powerful perks? The perks are especially nice when you're playing solo and don't have to rely on your team so much. They're usually potatoes.

• Khakuate
    Khakuate Member Posts: 287

Oh hey look, it's the guy that manipulates proofs/pictures so he can get easy up votes 😂🤡

• EmpireWinner
    EmpireWinner Member Posts: 1,054

A good build to counter slugging and tunneling

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277
    edited July 2020

in other words they want an easy game.

Post edited by NekoGamerX on
  • Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

Situational.

• Zaitsev
    Zaitsev Member Posts: 1,285

Literal immortality. I wouldnt be surprised if Soul Guard gets the Mettle of Man treatment in the near future.

• immortalls96
    immortalls96 Member Posts: 4,652

Probably the biggest source of hypocrisy the devs have in the game atm

• azame
    azame Member Posts: 2,870

I run it because I get tunneled but uhh you so you I guess.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

i see these perks alot when i play survivor i never use them i do just fine.

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826

Oh, that's cute.

You get 1 guy who uses the combo and you 4k.

Hm.....they use everything they had in their perks and items and you still managed to 4k.

3 Decisive Strikes and you 4k'ed.

• Thunderkunt
    Thunderkunt Member Posts: 1

This!! Idk why all these killers ######### about DS, once its gone its gone. So chase them, down them, hook them. Same with Unbreak.

• chase131119
    chase131119 Member Posts: 839

It's the ultimate small pp build.

• SloppyKnockout
    SloppyKnockout Member Posts: 1,505

The consensus is, only survivors are allowed to have devastating synergy with their perks. Can't have ruin working while a generator is taken over by thrilling tremors for 16 seconds, though. Nope. *too stronk ruin be*

• Hallowgeek
    Hallowgeek Member Posts: 107

It’s a very situational build. So if people want to try it out, good luck to them. I’ve yet to be hit by Soul Guard but I rarely slug and when I do, it’s just to wait out somebody’s DS and by the time they’ve stood up I’m already chasing somebody else.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,841

I ran it like 3 times and it was fun but I really like doing the pallet doctor build unless I got tunneled.

• CWill22
    CWill22 Member Posts: 69
    edited August 2021

lol.

Post edited by CWill22 on
  • Gamerpoop
    Gamerpoop Member Posts: 34

Im gonna get caught by it, but im not gonna get pissed

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

Are you comparing a very niche situational synergy build to a continuous "all-game" slowdown build?

• SloppyKnockout

It's not, but all slowdown perks have counters. Literally, direct counters. Even pop.

• Sluzzy

The 3 survivor perks have even easier direct counters.

Pop has no counters. The gen is being regressed no matter what.

• SloppyKnockout
    edited July 2020

DS has a direct counter that isn't slugging? Even if the exit gates are opened and they are within crawling distance to get there before their DS runs out? What if they have DS AND Unbreakable? Do tell.

Dead harding for distance has a counter? Do tell. And no, baiting doesn't work when it's for distance. Unbreakable has a counter, sure. Don't slug. I suppose. However, slugging is a key part of playing killer. So unbreakable is a counter, to a counter, that forces killers not to use their counter. My god, lol. In any case, saying "don't slug" as a counter to unbreakable is like telling a killer to slug as a counter to DS. It's stupid, and like a book full of plot holes.

Pop DOES have a counter. It's called repressed alliance, it's a perk that just came out with Pyramidhead. The survivor can block the gen from pop. Kind of like their version of thrilling tremors. Except this perk blocks the gen for 30 seconds instead of 16. Brush up on your game knowledge, bud. Then come back and try harder.

• Terra92
    Terra92 Member Posts: 583

Yeah I initially though Soul Guard would be fantastic. It's alright. If you get slugged and there's an active hex on the field you can pick yourself back up with a borrowed time bonus, but it's so niche, I almost never get slugged these days. Maybe if I start seeing more slug games I'll equip it again but I don't think it'll do much good in the long run.

Borrowed Time from the dying to the injured state is really cool, but it's so niche. I think since Cheryl came out I've had the bonus maybe a handful of times, and I can't even say it was a full handful.

• Terra92
    Terra92 Member Posts: 583

Hey man, you can reply to someone and not be completely rude about it. Make your points and move on, or try to see from their point of view so they can see from yours. You come off as very bitter and assuming when you're writing.

And hey repressed alliance is awesome! I can work on a gen and notify my team when it's almost done. I can also force a killer to focus on me instead of the generator I've worked for the last minute on. I can't tell you how many times I've 80/90%'d a gen only to have the killer come up at that last moment and stop me. It also takes an entire minute to charge and recharge, so you only get to use it once or twice, unless you become the gen jockey that match. It's based entirely on seconds, so I could have worked on four generators and still not have it up. It also doesn't work when teammates are also working on the same generator.

• Hallowgeek
    Hallowgeek Member Posts: 107

Technically PGTW does have somewhat of a counter now and that’s with Repressed Alliance. I stopped a Freddy from kicking my gen with it yesterday.

• Sluzzy

Did you also know that repressed alliance has a very long cooldown? It's not the perfect counter by any means.

You are not entitled to every kill in every situation, so if the gates are opened you might want to down someone else or is tunneling your preference?

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

A combo that can only be countered by a Nerf or some other future idea that will also need a Nerf.

• Slickstyles
    Slickstyles Member Posts: 446

It's a strong perk combo but I used this build for a day once to make a point to a buddy of mine. That point is is that it's so niche and situational, that you'll barely get any use out of it. I used DS in like 10% of my games and Unbreakable in maybe 5%. Soul guard was never used once.

It's better to use perks that prevents you from going down in the first place. For example, you can use spine chill to get an early start on the killer before a chase and quick and quiet to to potentially trick the killer and yeet away in the middle of a chase.

Now, if you have a full SWF running DS and Unbreakable, then that's a whole different story.

• SloppyKnockout
    edited July 2020

It does have a very long cooldown, which should be manageable unless your team is getting hooked every 10 seconds, then Pop wouldn't matter anyway. I never said killers were entitled to anything. You're making an argument that has nothing to do with the thread. If the gates are opened, the CORRECT PLAY is to go after the injured person. However, if that person has DS, there is literally no counter to it. I mean, this is a thread based on whining about counters. So it's a valid standpoint.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

I'd say adding Soul Guard on top of DS + UB is sorta overkill and not really that much stronger than DS + UB on its own.

DS + UB is really strong, but all I'd really want changed about it is making DS a more specialized anti-tunneling perk with deactivation conditions like hook another survivor.

Either way shaming players for using something that's strong is whiny scrub behavior no matter if it's a killer and survivor that's doing it and I wish people in general stopped doing so. If you think a perk or perk combo is too much direct your grievances at the perks, not the player. (Not directing this at OP, more of a general statement as it's really rampant with the whole "if u use <perk/perks> ur bad" stuff)

• RoMainPuppy
    RoMainPuppy Member Posts: 507

They're not saying it's ran by everyone, they're just asking what people think of it. Someone probably HAS run it before, doesn't mean it's prevalent or common, just that it's a thing that exists.

• DCash
    DCash Member Posts: 170

Dedicating 3 perk slots for one thing has never been a good strategy. I rarely run hexes so soul guard means nothing to me. If I do run a hex....it's not hard to keep track of slugs. Just don't let them stay on the ground long enough to get up. These three perks are easy to counter if you aren't slugging the entire team left and right off hook.

• MadLordJack

Yeah, right. At this point I play more survivor than killer, which I try to keep even but... Well, I'm finding survivor more fun atm. But I digress: I definitely do not get tunelled enough to justify running that combo, let alone get farmed that badly either. An entire minute of invulnerability is genuinely unjustifiable. DS? I get it, you don't want to get tunelled. UB? Sure, undo the killers snowball with a single mouse click. Both? Become literally unpunishable for an entire minute, 3 minutes a game, with the only counterplay being to eat the damn perks? That makes sense. Nothing unfair about that.

• azame
    azame Member Posts: 2,870

Look man happens to much for me I actually stopped using ds/ub for like a week but I got tunneled and put the perks back on. I rather not get punished because I try to run a more casual build but killers would tunnel hard if ds/ub werent in the game its evident enough If there is no obsession.

• MadLordJack

Please explain, in detail, what UB and tunelling have to do with one another. Because guess what: slugging you isn't "tunnelling". It is, by it's very definition, the opposite: the killer is literally leaving you to go and chase someone else.