Can we fix Huntress's Hatchet hitboxes?

Every time I'm in a game, I duck behind something. She can still throw it at me and I get injured. When the hatchets didn't even fking touch me.

Now I see why people play huntress 🙃

Comments

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,772

they tried and broke her even further so as much as id love this- trust me id love this- it's unlikely to happen :(

• starkiller1286
    starkiller1286 Member Posts: 889

They made survivor hurt boxes shorter so you can't get hit when a hatchet is chucked above a gen. Are you sure she isnt throwing at an angle? When I throw over chest high walls they usually miss unless i get a sweet spot and manage to throw it downwards enough it hits the survivor and not the wall.

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752

I main huntress, the devs will sooner give everyone all perks for free before her hatchets are fixed properly

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

Here's an explanation from Peanits about huntress hatchet hitboxes:

Regarding hatchet hitboxes: They were changed to not be spherical a while back, but the change needed to be reverted (as others have mentioned in the thread). I'll have to bust out my amazing drawing skills. This is what the hitboxes look like:

The survivor has a "capsule" shaped box around them. This determines where they can run and whether or not the killer can hit them. This hitbox does not change, the only exception is that it's a little shorter when you crouch. If it did change, it would cause all sorts of issues in a chase. You would be bumping into stuff constantly.

The hatchets, on the right, have a spherical hitbox.

Why?

When a survivor is injured, they're slouched over as they run. In the example above, you can see what that's important. The hitbox of the hatchet overlaps with the hitbox of the survivor, so the hatchet hits.

Now if you were to make it more closely match the size of the hatchet, you'd end up with this:

In spite of the hatchet going right through the survivor (visually), it does not touch the survivor's hitbox, and so the hatchet would miss. We have tried this change and the past, but it was reverted because it caused a lot of issues like this.

To go back to the first hit, this is the scenario that played out:

This is what the killer sees. It looks a little weird because of the survivor's animation, but the hitboxes overlapped. But then you need to factor in latency:

This is what the survivor sees (with what the killer sees faded out). Latency sucks, you can't really get rid of it. It's a fact of life with online games. There's always going to be a slight discrepancy in online games. Since the hit is currently handled on the killer's end, even 100 ping can make a difference. (Survivor running at 4m/s x 0.1 = 40cm difference between what the killer sees and what the survivor sees.)

The ultra short version: Hatchet hitboxes can't change unless the survivor hitboxes are completely reworked, but latency is also in play.