Camping.

Options
Kira15233
Kira15233 Member Posts: 473

So, sometimes, it takes me a few gens to find 1 survivor and I get gen-rushed so hard, I wonder, is tunneling and camping tolerated if all gens are done? I do it thinking it's totally fine since it's escape time. I just wondered y'all opinion about it.

Comments

• SloppyKnockout
    SloppyKnockout Member Posts: 1,505
    Options

The only ones who don't "tolerate" tunneling and camping are survivors. Fortunately, there are no rules that say you can't tunnel and camp. The devs have even said they are legitimate strategies.

Don't let survivors try to brainwash you with their survivor-written rulebook for killers.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,153
    edited July 2020
    Options

What this person said. Survivors that complain about camping and tunneling are by definition a scrub. Play to win.

Small little section from the book on this topic:

The derogatory term “scrub” means several different things. One definition is someone (especially a game player) who is not good at something (especially a game). By this definition, we all start out as scrubs, and there is certainly no shame in that. I mean the term differently, though. A scrub is a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about. A scrub does not play to win.

Now, everyone begins as a poor player—it takes time to learn a game to get to a point where you know what you’re doing. There is the mistaken notion, though, that by merely continuing to play or “learn” the game, one can become a top player. In reality, the “scrub” has many more mental obstacles to overcome than anything actually going on during the game. The scrub has lost the game even before it starts. He’s lost the game even before deciding which game to play. His problem? He does not play to win.

The scrub would take great issue with this statement for he usually believes that he is playing to win, but he is bound up by an intricate construct of fictitious rules that prevents him from ever truly competing. These made-up rules vary from game to game, of course, but their character remains constant. Let’s take a fighting game off of which I’ve made my gaming career: Street Fighter.

In Street Fighter, the scrub labels a wide variety of tactics and situations “cheap.” This “cheapness” is truly the mantra of the scrub. Performing a throw on someone is often called cheap. A throw is a special kind of move that grabs an opponent and damages him, even when the opponent is defending against all other kinds of attacks. The entire purpose of the throw is to be able to damage an opponent who sits and blocks and doesn’t attack. As far as the game is concerned, throwing is an integral part of the design—it’s meant to be there—yet the scrub has constructed his own set of principles in his mind that state he should be totally impervious to all attacks while blocking. The scrub thinks of blocking as a kind of magic shield that will protect him indefinitely. Why? Exploring the reasoning is futile since the notion is ridiculous from the start.

You will not see a classic scrub throw his opponent five times in a row. But why not? What if doing so is strategically the sequence of moves that optimizes his chances of winning? Here we’ve encountered our first clash: the scrub is only willing to play to win within his own made-up mental set of rules. These rules can be staggeringly arbitrary. If you beat a scrub by throwing projectile attacks at him, keeping your distance and preventing him from getting near you—that’s cheap. If you throw him repeatedly, that’s cheap, too. We’ve covered that one. If you block for fifty seconds doing no moves, that’s cheap. Nearly anything you do that ends up making you win is a prime candidate for being called cheap. Street Fighter was just one example; I could have picked any competitive game at all.

• Kira15233
    Kira15233 Member Posts: 473
    Options

Yeah I know, but I lose bps with camping but I still do it (I play Bubba on Xbox and pretty much every survivor on switch (can't wait for crossprogression switch/xbox)) and some people complained, I'm just securing a kill

• SloppyKnockout
    SloppyKnockout Member Posts: 1,505
    Options

Indeed. Like the previous person said. Play to win. In any way you see fit. If you need to camp someone out, or tunnel someone out of the game...well..."sometimes it be like that".

• Suwusie
    Suwusie Member Posts: 26
    Options

Camping and tunneling is a strategy and said so by the devs. It’s looked down upon but still a strategy. It’s like flipping off a baby, you can do it but you’re gonna get ugly looks.

(please don’t flip off babies)

• NekoTorvic
    NekoTorvic Member Posts: 766
    Options

Gens are ridiculously quick by design, so feel free to do anything you think is necessary to try and compete with that. Survivors sure as hell won't hesitate for a second about keeping hold of m1, and they have all sorts of nasty game changing perks that they combine to give themselves the best advantage, which is fine, they should do that.

All you can do is try to punish their misplays as hard as possible and that includes tunneling, camping, 3 genning and slugging, when it's right to do so.

We'll see how that changes when the devs add the early game thing they have planned. But until then, do what you must and don't feel bad about it, your opponents are quite likely to judge you and admonish you either way.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    Options

Is it tolerated that survivors do gens? You can camp all the time if you like a killer is a one man team, make your own strategy. If the survivors don't like it then you did something right, because survivors are not supposed to like the killer.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    Options

Yep do as you like, if you aint cheating or griefing you good. It makes sense to secure your kill in a 4-5 gens done 1 hook scenario, it aint personal its just business.

Hopefully the need to do so will lessen with a more balanced match making system. We'll see.

• Komodo16
    Komodo16 Member Posts: 1,488
    Options

Dude only trash survivors care about that at endgame or during gen rush. But if you do it as a playstyle from the get go you are mad, insecure or bad. I've met plenty of good killers and the ones that were the best dont tunnel or camp without need only the red ranks that can't end chases fast enough do that.

• nicnc82
    nicnc82 Member Posts: 372
    Options

I never need to camp to get a kill even end game 🤷‍♀️. Red rank killer. I also love when my swfs team makes killers rage quit because they were trash and camped and we got out anyway with bt and ds. Thats why bt and ds need to stay how they are. Survivors should always have a counter for camping and tunneling. I also never tunnel and can get 3 and 4ks.

• idektbh
    idektbh Member Posts: 129
    Options

I totally understand camping and tunneling when the killer gets genrushed and when the exits gates are open, after all they r legitimate strategies. I just don’t understand it when theres still like 5 gens left, literally in the beginning of the game.

There was this one time that I was playing solo, and the game had just started, and there was a Bill next to the gen I was doing, he was standing still, probably didn’t realized that the game had started? And then, the killer came, smacked him down and picked him up, bill wasn’t back still (he wasn’t wiggling), which gave the killer the chance to take in to the basement (which he did) that was in the other side of the map. By the time bill got back, he was getting facecamped while getting smacked into oblivion (I was seeing it all with kindred, it was funny and sad at the same time). Anyway, I guess it’s bill fault but I felt really bad for him (needless to say that he died in first hook)