Why Do We Run Self-Care?

2»

Comments

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@KiraElijah said:

You’d be surprised how long a No Mither Squad can last ::chuffed:

Those are pretty rare and I've only had it in ym games a few times where a duo was running No Mither and it was pretty funny. The killer was trying to just slug and they kept making sure they ran in opposite directions until he finally got the hint to hook them both.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited September 2018

I'm a new player and have watched many vids on the game play. I've received a lot of advice in a thread I created that said to level Claudette first for self-care, but to be honest, I'm just not that excited for the perk. I know it's not generally viewed as ideal, but Dwight interested me more due to his teamwork perks. That just seemed to fit the play style I'd hoped to go for, even though I solo-Q. Something that could help my fellow survivors a little.

Now, of course, I am torn. Or, I was before reading some comments in this thread. Maybe I will just focus on Dwight and learn to play my way.

The same is true for BBQ. It's a meta-perk, I get it. But yet, I really don't care for Leatherface. Not from a film franchise perspective (was never into Texas Chainsaw Massacre growing up, and I'm 45 by the way), and not from a gameplay standpoint. I don't know that I really care enough to grind BBQ. Hey, if I don't hit the red ranks, I don't care. I didn't buy DBD to "rank up," but to play a hide-and-seek horror movie themed game. I didn't even know it had ranks until after I bought it.

I'm much more interested in Myers, Amanda, Freddy, and Huntress (once they fix the hatchet issue).

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

@TheHourMan said:
    I never use SC. I never use Meta perks at all for that matter. Players who run meta in any game are trash.

I forget who originally said it, but SC, DS, Adreneline, Borrowed Time and Dead Hard are all crutch perks that are used to allow survivors to make more mistakes at the expense of the killer's time.

Well not everybody wants to run Deja Vu, Resilience, Left Behind, and This Is Not Happening. I guess 95% of the player population is trash is your eyes seeing how they run the “meta perks”...survivors and killers both included.

Meta survivor perks: Self Care, Sprint Burst, Adrenaline, Dead Hard, and Decisive Strike

Meta killer perks: BBQ, Nurse’s Calling, Hex: Ruin, Enduring, and NOED

So you haven’t ever ran any of these perks?

• TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052
    edited September 2018
    MegMain98 said:

@TheHourMan said:
    I never use SC. I never use Meta perks at all for that matter. Players who run meta in any game are trash.

I forget who originally said it, but SC, DS, Adreneline, Borrowed Time and Dead Hard are all crutch perks that are used to allow survivors to make more mistakes at the expense of the killer's time.

Well not everybody wants to run Deja Vu, Resilience, Left Behind, and This Is Not Happening. I guess 95% of the player population is trash is your eyes seeing how they run the “meta perks”...survivors and killers both included.

Meta survivor perks: Self Care, Sprint Burst, Adrenaline, Dead Hard, and Decisive Strike

I've run every perk in the game. My point is that meta perks are incredibly overrated and once a pkayer gets good enough, they shouldn't feel the need rely on them as a crutch anymore.

BBQ and WGLF are both necessary for when you are farming points.

Enduring has it's fun uses (like being paired with spirit fury) but you shouldn't be getting hit by pallets that much anyway.

Btw Resilience + This is not Happening + No Mither is a very fun combination.
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@TheHourMan said:
    I've run every perk in the game. My point is that meta perks are incredibly overrated and once a pkayer gets good enough, they shouldn't feel the need rely on them as a crutch anymore.

Enduring has it's fun uses (like being paired with spirit fury) but you shouldn't be getting hit by pallets that much anyway.

It's not necessarily bad to run meta perks, but it is boring when everyone is playing the same thing.

• xxaggieboyxx
    xxaggieboyxx Member Posts: 498
    I don't run it. It's too crutch and it makes the game more intense when I don't have it 
  • TheLegendDyl4n1
    TheLegendDyl4n1 Member Posts: 1,493

@Spiritbx said:
    TheLegendDyl4n1 said:

@Peasant said:

Dead by Daylight was advertised and marketed as a horror game every step of the way. I find that Self-Care reduces the risk of being injured as I can heal myself should I get away. This makes the killer and the game a whole less scary as my mistakes don't mean nearly as much. So since Self-Care removes the worry, why do we use it? You paid for a horror game, don't you want to be scared?

if im in a SWF i dont usually run it since i can tell my friends where to heal me or they can tell me what gen they are on so they can heal me. the problem for me comes down to if i dont run it when i run solo, which is 99% of the time ususally, then i fear i wont be able to find any other teamates before the killer comes around me again and then they will find me due to my crying. this is why i started running No mither, Dead hard or sprint burst, resilience, and Were gonna live forever (when i am done getting points i will switch it for DS but now i am planning on running deliverence)

Read what you said. Thats why survivors are OP with voice comms. The game wasnt that survivor sided before, but then swf with voice comms got popular. This completely broke the fine balance of a 4v1 game.  

The game isnt balanced around you always getting healed up, thats what the OP is saying in his post, that it ruins the survival horror aspect of the game.  

Not knowing if you can find someone to heal you before the killer finds you is scary and thrilling.  

AKA the power of the meta perks and SWF  is ruining the initial appeal of the game.

i am talking about how when playing solo its a must perk since most other survivors would rather do a gen or hide then heal me and when they do they mess up on skill checks. Comms should of been added from the beginning for everyone. read my post on this if you want but i feel it should be in the game with risk involved

• TheHourMan

@Spiritbx said:
    TheLegendDyl4n1 said:

@Peasant said:

Dead by Daylight was advertised and marketed as a horror game every step of the way. I find that Self-Care reduces the risk of being injured as I can heal myself should I get away. This makes the killer and the game a whole less scary as my mistakes don't mean nearly as much. So since Self-Care removes the worry, why do we use it? You paid for a horror game, don't you want to be scared?

if im in a SWF i dont usually run it since i can tell my friends where to heal me or they can tell me what gen they are on so they can heal me. the problem for me comes down to if i dont run it when i run solo, which is 99% of the time ususally, then i fear i wont be able to find any other teamates before the killer comes around me again and then they will find me due to my crying. this is why i started running No mither, Dead hard or sprint burst, resilience, and Were gonna live forever (when i am done getting points i will switch it for DS but now i am planning on running deliverence)

Read what you said. Thats why survivors are OP with voice comms. The game wasnt that survivor sided before, but then swf with voice comms got popular. This completely broke the fine balance of a 4v1 game.  

The game isnt balanced around you always getting healed up, thats what the OP is saying in his post, that it ruins the survival horror aspect of the game.  

Not knowing if you can find someone to heal you before the killer finds you is scary and thrilling.  

AKA the power of the meta perks and SWF  is ruining the initial appeal of the game.

i am talking about how when playing solo its a must perk since most other survivors would rather do a gen or hide then heal me and when they do they mess up on skill checks. Comms should of been added from the beginning for everyone. read my post on this if you want but i feel it should be in the game with risk involved

There are no must perks. However I do agree that distance based voice comm should be in the game for survivors, with killer able to hear them
  • JoannaVO
    JoannaVO Member Posts: 750

I only use selfcare just in case there are silly survivors who think they can be funny with their heal trolls.

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104

@JoannaVO said:
    I only use selfcare just in case there are silly survivors who think they can be funny with their heal trolls.

You can use Self-Care all you like, but I will laugh at you from atop my mountain of Emergency Aid Kits. #Pharmacyisthenewmeta

• AzazelAxios
    AzazelAxios Member Posts: 51
    I don't typically run it. Bond/Empathy, WMI, Urban Evasion, Flex slot (Usually WGLF, Borrowed Time or Light weight). 

I'll usually just run with a medkit or even a tool box, since bond and empathy help me find peeps to heal me and vice versa.
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

I've tried not running SC and instead runa medkit, killer brings Franklin's and just tunnels you. If you somehow get away and they find you still injured they know you're easy prey. Then the response from killers is run pharmacy etc and look through a chest.

Well 3 other people often have the same idea, especially if the killer is running Franklins, and then it's well run this perk. Then you respond isn't you very same killers that say you shouldn't have to run a perk to counter what someone else is running?

Then you run into killers who also throw out the less chest offerings with Franklins and now you have 1 chest that's in the map for 4 people. But you should just throw a chest offering out then which leads to why should I have to do x to counter why?

Most of my games are solo q at rank 1 and quite often you can't always depend on your tea mates healing you at that rank since the killers are usually running Nurses Calling. They're also always looking to nail anyone and everyone healing someone.

It's oftentimes it's better to run off to someplace secluded and heal yourself quietly so if a heal check gets missed 2 people don't get put at risk. That way if the killer is in a chase he's only got 1 person to screw with and not 2 with an easy down of you.

• AyDoggie
    AyDoggie Member Posts: 48

Then remove self-care from your load out. I don't understand the point of the post.

• MegMain98

@TheHourMan said:
    MegMain98 said:

@TheHourMan said:

My build is Self Care, Sprint Burst, Adrenaline, and Empathy on Meg. I run a typical “meta build” on her since she is one of my strongest survivors seeing how I’ve P3 her all the way.

Once I P3 Claudette however I’m gonna try to do a “ninja” type build with Calm Spirit, Iron Will, and either Urban Evasion or Quick and Quiet. I just can’t bring myself to get rid of Self Care especially if I don’t have Bond because I don’t like relying on my teammates when I could be doing something productive like fixing gens.

I live some rounds with meta perks and I die some rounds with meta perks. Killers run their meta perks so why shouldn’t survivors? I just say use the perks you want and don’t be concered about what the other survivors have as perks.

• MegMain98

@powerbats said:
    I've tried not running SC and instead runa medkit, killer brings Franklin's and just tunnels you. If you somehow get away and they find you still injured they know you're easy prey. Then the response from killers is run pharmacy etc and look through a chest.

Well 3 other people often have the same idea, especially if the killer is running Franklins, and then it's well run this perk. Then you respond isn't you very same killers that say you shouldn't have to run a perk to counter what someone else is running?

Then you run into killers who also throw out the less chest offerings with Franklins and now you have 1 chest that's in the map for 4 people. But you should just throw a chest offering out then which leads to why should I have to do x to counter why?

Most of my games are solo q at rank 1 and quite often you can't always depend on your tea mates healing you at that rank since the killers are usually running Nurses Calling. They're also always looking to nail anyone and everyone healing someone.

It's oftentimes it's better to run off to someplace secluded and heal yourself quietly so if a heal check gets missed 2 people don't get put at risk. That way if the killer is in a chase he's only got 1 person to screw with and not 2 with an easy down of you.

Franklin’s is easily the most annoying killer perk. It isn’t even that it is OP, just annoying from a survivors perspective.

• TheHourMan

@MegMain98 said:

@TheHourMan said:
    MegMain98 said:

@TheHourMan said:

My build is Self Care, Sprint Burst, Adrenaline, and Empathy on Meg. I run a typical “meta build” on her since she is one of my strongest survivors seeing how I’ve P3 her all the way.

Once I P3 Claudette however I’m gonna try to do a “ninja” type build with Calm Spirit, Iron Will, and either Urban Evasion or Quick and Quiet. I just can’t bring myself to get rid of Self Care especially if I don’t have Bond because I don’t like relying on my teammates when I could be doing something productive like fixing gens.

I live some rounds with meta perks and I die some rounds with meta perks. Killers run their meta perks so why shouldn’t survivors? I just say use the perks you want and don’t be concered about what the other survivors have as perks.

It's not that nobody should use meta perks, because if that were the case, why even have them in the game in the first place? Survivor or killer, it's that people get so caught up on what is the "best" and then they start to believe that certain perks are absolutely necessary to play the game and push that line of thinking onto other people. People should experiment with perk combinations and pick out perks to suit their playstyle and what they personally think is the most fun.

The devs have shown the statistics of the meta perks several times and they are not the ones who have the highest survival rate at all.

So good on you for trying out new things just because they sound cool to you. And in all likelihood, you will perform better with that setup simply because you enjoy it more.

Also about Franklin's: I use Franklin's with trapper and then booby trap the items on the ground. It's hilarious.

• TheHourMan
    edited September 2018

I am working up to making an Obsession build for the Spirit to make her have a "spirit of vengeance" motif. It will be Play with Your Food, Rancor, Save the Best For Last and Make Your Choice. It might not be statistically the most viable build, but holy ######### will it be fun to run

• Yzalirk
    Yzalirk Member Posts: 59
    Most of the time I cannot rely on my teammates when I que solo.  I am also usually the one who has to go save everyone and being able to heal up and get back into the fray helps.
  • JoannaVO
    JoannaVO Member Posts: 750

@Peasant said:

@JoannaVO said:

You can use Self-Care all you like, but I will laugh at you from atop my mountain of Emergency Aid Kits. #Pharmacyisthenewmeta

If I play on other characters I usually loot boxes to find medkits, but have had it way too often in the past were teammates thought they were funny by blocking me so I get downed, them tapping me instead of giving a full heal and not giving the killer time to reach, or they stop at 99%. At some point I was like ''Screw this, I'll not make myself depend up on my team. So now I use selfcare and help my team more efficient as I can heal myself (if nobody else can because I rather give somebody the altruism points) quickly and then get back to the objective.
    Can't really say I play the game anymore to get tension, it just all depends on how I feel like playing, if I do want to feel more tension I run a no mither build, but if I just play a few games to get some extra bloodpoints, I do run Self-Care.