Freddy wouldn't have been reworked if his power was explained better.

CornHub
CornHub Member Posts: 1,864

I can understand they changed him, because as they add more killers and gain new players learning a completely new playstyle for just one killer and making sure everything would still be balanced would be incredibly exhausting. My main complaint was at the time with fewer killers they just didn't explain his power very well, which ended up in huge hodgepodge of "he's op because aura reading and slowing action speed" & "no he's trash because bad at chases lol". If they had explained upfront that your not supposed to focus on only one survivor at a time, but multiple then his power wouldn't have been reworked entirely.

Comments

• CornHub

Chases are important, Freddy's chases were just different from everyone elses.

• Onyx_Blue
    Onyx_Blue Member Posts: 1,060

Old Freddy had busted mechanics. New Freddy is braindead. If I had it my way he'd be reworked again. Even if it was just a touch up of his current state. Not put a survivor immediately asleep after hitting them, instead accelerate the timer speed by 100%. At least that would actively force the Freddy to utilise Gen Projection more and actually rotate his pressure properly. Leaving a survivor that's awake and not falling asleep soon, instead injuring them and waiting for them to be vulnerable to his power attachments (Snare/Pallet).

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

Freddy had several issues and several nerfs/shadow nerfs to his power to the point where he could only apply pressure in groups of survivors, but at the same time could only hurt survivors who were asleep, which cause survivors to commit to gens or commit to hex totems and Freddy was forced to watch these leave him because he just wasn’t fast enough. He was an extremely weak killer with a power that was countered by failing skill-checks in the middle of a chase.

Along with this, his power was littered with bugs everywhere, one of these bugs were if he was to swing at almost the same time a survivor fell asleep, like a decimal of seconds before they fell asleep, he would go through the bit animation without actually harming the survivor.

Freddy had to get reworked cause he was in a state where he couldn’t get balanced without causing him to either be incredibly weak (Like he was) or too strong, and he was never too strong.

Along with this as well, players played him like he was a tunneler killer, they would tunnel an unhooked to death and keep chaining it, I even remember some just camping. How he was designed wasn’t healthy at the time and new Freddy is 10x better than the original freddy as current freddy can hit awake survivors

• CornHub

See some if those were bugs and unintentional. What many people wanted was to was for survivors to fall asleep faster if they were completing an action, but I see the complaint on standing still waiting for them to fall asleep. And like you said people would tunnel as Freddy, lose and ask for a complete rework instead of trying to play him differently.

• CornHub

Old Freddy imo, is completely unique & different from all the other killers they've released so far. But New Freddy feels like Mint-rag hag, fake pallet doctor, and clown-lite. I'm not gonna say he doesn't require skill, but the skill cap is alot lower now.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,145

I remember when freddy was able to sleep awake survivor when they hid in a locker as well just by moving his dream tag to the said locker.

• SloppyKnockout
    SloppyKnockout Member Posts: 1,505

Freddy was a weaker version of Wraith.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632

New Freddy is literally Hag with waterlogged shoe, but braindead af.

• FilthyQuentin
    FilthyQuentin Member Posts: 82

What I liked about old Freddy was, if you were awake and if Freddy was carrying a survivor, you would see the survivor float.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

The power description is not the problem, it is, as always, people not wanting to learn and deal with it.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited July 2020

I still think the old freddy was way, way more interesting and unique design. He was also quite fun to play. I think that his kit could have been salvaged with some tweaks here and there to make it better and more intuitive for newer players. Old freddy was basically fun but weak.

As opposed to the new freddy which is boring but strong. I feel like he lost all of his uniqueness and identity. He's boring to play as and boring to face. He just feels like copy/pastes of other killers.

In my opinion.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776

They tweaked his old kit sparsely, never in a systematic fashion. I think eventually they came to the conclusion that he wasn't worth the hassle anymore and that they might've as well rebuilt him from scratch.

What I find hilarious is that, looking at current Freddy, it gives the impression they sat around a table brainstorming ideas for what to put into his kit. Then, when it was time to decide what to keep, they simply went like "too much trouble, let's just give him all of these. I have other things to do".

Kind of a pity, because Old Freddy was definitely unique.

• DezzyTV
    DezzyTV Member Posts: 99

I miss the old Freddy so much... :(

• LegionOfDumb
    LegionOfDumb Member Posts: 623

That still exists, you just have to be at a distance to see it

• RedditUser69
    RedditUser69 Member Posts: 193

Old Freddy was dumpster tier with an absolutely 'snack or famine' playstyle. Self care was meta at made him a joke. He had tracking that was rivaled only by the Doctor but managed to have worse chase than him. He got absolutely thrashed by """definitely not autoaim guys!!!!""" Locking his swings onto awake survivors. He had to ask survivors permission to hit them and half the time they'd break out in your face because for whatever reason they could wake up during the transition. His end game was atrocious if not everyone was asleep. You could thoroughly explain him to me for a year and I'd still stare you in the face and tell you he was trashola.

This is coming from someone who played him almost exclusively for a better half of a year.

• Zucker_Schock
    Zucker_Schock Member Posts: 565

I miss old freddy.

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099

Old Freddy was very powerful when played well. When I felt very toxic as old Freddles, I would run dying light, black box and a ivory mori. Find obsession instantly, hook them, mori them, and dying light for the rest of the game. However, he was a great and interesting killer. He had amazing slowdown, and played like a better hit and run killer.