How do you feel about the current state of the game?

First off, I'm sorry if there's a post similar to this one already, and also my experience in the game is limited (I've been playing for around 8 months, with about 700 hours). Anyway, the reason why I'm asking is because I'm hoping to get a better idea of what the community as a whole generally thinks about the state of the game. I've heard countless people saying that the game is in a great state, or that it's worse than it's ever been, that the game is going in a great direction and is improving, or that it's getting worse and worse and nearing the end. If I'm going to be completely honest, it feels like most players are concerned with whether their personal experience, as survivor or killer, becomes better or worse for themselves, I'm not trying to be rude but that's the impression I've gotten. If it's possible I'd like you to try and stay away from those kinds of biases in your replies unless it's relevant in some way, because it feels like that's what makes up most players' perception of the game, whether they get to have more fun and power as survivor or killer, and I completely understand that, it's human nature, I just feel like it can cloud people's view on the game. Any replies are appreciated, and feel free to tell me if I seem wrong, I'm open to anything, thank you!

Comments

• RedditUser69
    RedditUser69 Member Posts: 193

It's currently the best it has been, but that isn't saying much.

The perk meta is stale as hell and they don't seem to care much. OP perks have been OP since they released and trash perks have been trash since they released. This applies to both sides.

Looping will always be boring to me as well. It's just not fun to run around unmindgamable piles of junk over and over again.

• Smeargle
    Smeargle Member Posts: 8

Some maps still need reworking. Ormond being a big example, as it is plagued with safe pallets connecting one another. Shelter woods could stand to have a bit more for the survivors to work with on the map. But the game has been going in the right direction in terms of balance.

Although the ruin and billy nerfs are a head scratcher, BNPs, insta heals, insta blinds, lower pallet and window spawns, were all necessary nerfs and has definetly increased the health of the game.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

Currently I feel that it's bad, but not balance wise, I think currently it's the easiest it has been in a very long time, bug wise, I just hate it, can't use nurse without bugs, oni once you hit with your dash you are looking at the opposite side, billy has the animation bug, audio bugs everywhere, so if the bug happens free iron will, free balanced landing without the dash and no step sounds amazing right?

This is something I told another community before, from every step they go forward they step backwards 3 times.

• Techn0
    Techn0 Member Posts: 405
    edited July 2020

I think that the game is probably in one of its best states. But with DBD's history I still wouldn't really call it a balanced game. To go down the list

Perks: Some perks are just outright bad for the game, this is a lower number than launch but a lot of people are still really abusing DS, UB as a 60 second safety bubble after every unhook. Other than that I can only really complain about DH but I think that perk is just flawed at a core design level. As far as killer perks go I can't really complain about much, pop is demoralizing to see as a surv but it has counters, noed has counter play but I'd like a totem counter for solo's. The only killer perk I really hate right now is rancor, it's not fun or fair to be mori'd after not being hooked all game.

Killer power design: has gotten a lot better, I can't say that a lot of killers are actually overpowered from a gameplay perspective. We have more viable characters than we've ever had in dbd and some lower tiered characters are being adjusted like LF to become viable against better survivors. We still have a couple of stragglers that the devs don't seem to want to help (Clown) but overall I think we'll see most of them adjusted. I think they've kinda fumbled with the fun value of recent killers for the sake of balance (Slinger, PH,) but balance wise killer design has improved a lot.

Map Sizes/Gen Speeds: I'm going to lump these together because they go hand and hand. Map sizes in this game are just bad. Nothing more nothing less. I think this game is still tilted in survivor favor in most matches because of the map sizes. Maps are too big to pressure when all of the survivors spread out. Bhvr doesn't seem to understand that killers do better when the survivors group and nerfs survivors grouping on gens over and over. Honestly they should make team play the better option and reward it and give a debuff for working alone. Working together should be the riskier but more effective option as it can give the killer more pressure. Spreading out should be slower but safer as it gives the killer the ability to create less pressure. It should be a trade off. The current state of the game allows full spreading out and the killer just can't traverse the map fast enough to pressure, it's safer and more efficient and that just doesn't make sense to me.

Chases: I think chases are in a good spot. A good survivor can kick some ass and stall the killer out for a long time. A good killer can wipe a team very fast if the survivors play chases poorly. I think the only problem with chases are broken structures and BHVR has made an effort to fix those.

• batax90
    batax90 Member Posts: 879

The game is going in a good direction but they take too much time to fix bug and exploit. Not only that but because they dont do patch on a regular basis we are stuck with the same meta for survivor for 2 years something like that for killer they change it a bit when they remove ruin but overall its the same build. So right now i have no reason to play i dont see anything new

• ChunChunMaru
    ChunChunMaru Member Posts: 52

I think the game has improved BUT is held back immensely by game time and the matchmaking. I think games should last longer than the amount of time it takes to find a game and set up your build. However, due to the lack of objectives, survivors can just speedrun the game and end it in 5 minutes. Currently, making maps smaller is the solution, but I feel adding a second objective accomplishes the same thing without limiting design space. BUUUUUT a second objective has been requested for years now so I doubt it will ever come.

The new MMR system might fix things but as of now, the matchmaking system has created a lot of problems for the game. Rank 10 Killers playing Rank 1 survivors. Rank 1 survivors playing with "Rank 1" survivors. New player or player playing a new survivor/killer for the first time playing against meta builds.

Perks also need to be streamlined but looking at the Billy perk changes, maybe they should just leave it alone. I don't want a "Every time you grunt as Billy, the aura of one survivor who is searching through a chest will be revealed for 3 seconds."

• SirCracken
    SirCracken Member Posts: 1,414

I'm going to judge the state of the game on its own as I feel comparing it to earlier versions of dbd is overly generous.

Most killer powers, perks, and especially add-ons are not viable against high-skill survivors.

Almost every single survivor perk is either meta or just plain bad.

Most maps are either overly large, have extremely save loops, or both.

Survivor objectives are still boring.

And the balance team is so out of touch they might as well be an alternate dimension communicating from a levitating bunker in the stratosphere.

Basically, the state of the game is awful. The good parts of Dead by Daylight are nowhere near good enough to overshadow the bad.