The "muh counterplay" argument against Deathslinger is nonsensical

Snowbawlzzz
Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419

Ever since Scott Jung's "boring killers" video, this forum has been plagued with parrots that don't want to form their own opinion and instead spam "muh counterplay too hard" any time Deathslinger is brought up. Actually playing this killer will show you the counterplay: Have ANY OBJECT in between you and him. He can't down you with a shot if there's a pallet, rock, barrel, car or even another survivor in the way. No matter the map, there is always something you can use to put behind yourself so that you can't be downed with a shot.

This is on top of the obvious counterplay, which is just breaking line of sight and faking movements. But people will still repeat this tired, debunked take because the counter play is more than "Do ring-around-the-rosie 3 times and drop pallet"

Comments

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,765

My issue is he's less no counterplay more incredibly boring.

Pyramid head has, apparently, incredibly limited counterplay too however I find the little things that work on me work on most Pyramid head's and so putting them into practice makes me feel very happy. Plus, he at least keeps me on my toes looking for the big red flashy obvious telegraph of "BIG BOI POWER HERE". He's not boring.

Deathslinger just devolves down to genrushing because his map pressure is so bad. As we know from the basically hourly complaints, genrushing is not fun for either side.

• Zaitsev
    Zaitsev Member Posts: 1,285
  • Leonardo1ita
    Leonardo1ita Member Posts: 2,278

Old Freddy nerfed? Really? What was his power? Just putting everyone in the dream world hoping that survivors didn't wake up with every skillcheck possible? ( gen, heal or even self care?)

Now new Freddy has somewhat ability to teleport through the map, which is not like a billy, but still something and a chasing ability which allows you to finally do a lot of mindgames during chases, making him now a really strong killer.

How is that a nerf?

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

I can absolutely confirm that putting a tile between you and Deathslinger isn't counterplay. I can still shoot and hit you. That's why there's no "counterplay" to a skilled Deathslinger (which I'm not), because they can just shoot you, and all you can do is make their aiming harder. I don't think Deathslinger is OP because he is the most genrushable of the strong chasers, but there really isn't anything you can do that he cannot easily undo.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237

Maybe his ability is easy zo hit because it can have a quite a long TTK? 🤔

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

Deathslinger can pull survivors around most objects. Theres very little survivors can use that blocks him.

I wouldnt even be mad if it wasnt for the fact that to date literally every deathslinger ive seen has been a proxy camper and tunnels hard. Like even wraith and ghostface players must look at deathslinger players and shake their head.

• Freesham
    Freesham Member Posts: 262

I think playing against Deathslinger is pretty fun. It's like when Huntress has a fully charged hatchet and you have to fake going around the corner to make her miss. I never get snuck up on by Deathslinger either, just look around while doing gens.

• azame
    azame Member Posts: 2,870

Show us a video of you consistently beating a good slinger and putting that counterplay in use.

• Ireath
    Ireath Member Posts: 91

They Nerfed him when he was originally released. Not sure what the complaint was he was pretty bad but people review bombed the game.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

I dont get why everyone picks on Spirit (actually yeah I do, it’s her pick rate). Deathslinger and Legion in frenzy have way less counterplay and are far less fun in chases than Spirit.

• Snowbawlzzz

I have literally stood in front of a harpooned survivor and kept slinger from getting the hit

survivors have control over how they're pulled and can snag themselves on objects

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

I wouldn't consider Legions frenzy a chase, because there's no threat of being downed by it. Basically Legions chases are 1 hit only, but he doesn't have literally anything to help him with downing you if you're already injured, much like Plague. There plenty of counterplay there, because there's no BS going on, it's just a standard chase. Now is it boring? A little, but I don't feel cheated against a Legion. Spirit and Deathslinger are completely miserable to play against because you have almost nothing to go off when getting chased, and your skill as a survivor doesn't matter.

• Snowbawlzzz

You can't get the hit if there are objects in the way. If your idea of "counterplay" is being able to avoid getting shot every time, then survivors could 1v1 Slinger.

I have played survivor and prevented hits just by getting in the way when another survivor is harpooned. I have stopped myself from getting hit by snagging myself on a generator. It's not rocket science. Just look for obstacles so you know where to go before the chase. Obviously there will be times where you're in a dead zone and can't do that, but that's your fault for being caught in a dead zone.

• MadLordJack

If the Slinger walks backwards, you cannot get snagged because you're friction is set to almost zero. And if your idea of "counterplay" is hiding behind a wall, I would like to point out that that is an unreasonable ask, since the killer can force you out by just walking to you.

Maybe your problem is that you aren't a good Deathslinger and haven't seen a good Deathslinger play. There is nothing the survivor can do in a chase to ever counter him. Pre-drop the pallet? A good Deathslinger would have shot you before you reached it, and even if they somehow couldn't all they need to do is break it and shoot you then. Hide behind an object? Hello, my friends Left Foot and Right Foot have come to meet you. Juke? Nope, that's where the "Good Deathslinger" part of the equation comes in. Bodyblocking? That's not counterplay, that's just a tactic.

• azame

No I wanna see a video of you beating a good deathslinger in a chase using tricks that arent guessing ie dodging randomly,crouching, or holding a, pre throwing. Pre throwing does not always work for obvious reasons and making distance is general not specific counter and its also boring from both perspectives.

• azame

That snag yourself on objects idea isnt good because you almost always slide off like butter.

• Snowbawlzzz

->not counterplay

->just a tactic

lol

And the rest of your post is just the "git gud" fallacy that every gaming forum has.

I'm not downloading Raptr or whatever so I can be critiqued by some Claudette

• azame

What if I told you I mained nea now you look like a clown. I told you if you cant outplay a deathslinger that's zubat level or good and show me I cant say I'm seeing the counterplay you speak of and honestly Id be down to go into a kyf and shoe you the lack of counterplay.

• Snowbawlzzz

"heh, you thought I like this character but I like THIS character ahhahehahhe get good loser lolololol"

This immaturity reminds me of the Tekken reddit

I don't need to prove anything to sperglord claudette.

• Snowbawlzzz

Actually this comment highlights the problem of trying to "prove" counterplay

No matter what happens, there will be some excuse you can pull to say "a good deathslinger would've _____". The fact is that humans don't play perfectly or see the future. and if the Deathslinger IS that good and can play around all your attempts to throw him off, he deserves the kill

• ironiron
    ironiron Member Posts: 101

I just throw down pallets early against him. Seems to work pretty well. He's just as slow as Huntress, but not able to get downs like her. The gens get finished before he can get much done.

If there were more to this game other than running around stuff and throwing down pallets, if there were other elements, then maybe people wouldn't complain about certain killers being boring when they deny the only skill a survivor can learn.

I personally find him fun to go against, but I don't have any emotional attachment to looping around a couple of times before throwing down a pallet. He really gets screwed out of a lot of hits even after he lands a shot.

If you're a Deathslinger player, I wouldn't worry about the complaints too much. It's not like he can be nerfed, because he already is weak. Maybe they'll make him 115% and make it so he can't quick-scope if they reworked him, or something like that... but I wouldn't expect a nerf.

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159

I enjoy deathslinger at the moment. I like the insane chase potential. :)

• azame

It was a joke man. Anyways you say you dont need to prove anything because you cant do it at all.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

So you ######### around with no arguments. No surprise.

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
    edited July 2020

No, he had arguments, it's just not the arguments you wanted, since every killer's duty is to provide you with a fun time.

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099

I love playing against the man as survivor. His terror radius music is creepy, and he always keeps you on your toes. I would argue he needs a buff, like maybe faster reload speed or something,

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

As a Deathslinger main, I don't get the 'he's boring' mentality to begin with. The best aftermath chats are those on matches where I manages to pull off some trick shots:

pulling survivor's off ledges, pin-point sniping etc.

sure, it takes practice, but damn, people love-hate it.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237

Dont bother with azame, they keep demanding prooff but dont provide their perfect 4k deathslinger round when asked in turn.

• JFF
    JFF Member Posts: 166

Major complaint is he's boring to verse, because your options to counter him are way more limited compared to most of the killers. Going behind object indeed works, but only when killer is far away, however when DeathSlinger is 10-5 meters behind, you are pretty much forced to guess. Any decent DS will zone you by spamming ads, making you lose distance and then you have no time to react when he shoots.

• Sinister0208
    Sinister0208 Member Posts: 253

I think DS doesn't have much of a tell when he is about to use his power. I see most just quick ADS and shoot, that said he sucks at map pressure plus survivors have some control of his power as they can break the chain (plus Dead Hard/Sprint Burst forces a miss).

A really good DS (like Zubat) is really hard to beat in a 1v1. Though being good at a strong chase killer should let you win 1v1s regularly.

Good killers know not to chase good survivors for too long, so good survivors should know to avoid chases (or keep distance) against certain killers. Neither is an exciting experience in the game.

• MadLordJack

Sure bud. Keep pretending. Or go get some actual proof that there is counterplay instead of just saying there is. I'm basing my opinions off of my own experience and skilled Deathslinger streamers. Where's yours coming from?

• Snowbawlzzz

Ok show me your merciless killer Deathslinger 4k if he's such an uncounterable beast

• Snowbawlzzz

Also, my own games as Jeff are what lead me to my conclusions. Not watching some MLG streamer.