Potential Hag main looking for any and all advice, basic or in-depth

Options
A_Can_Of_Air
A_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 2,015
edited July 2020 in General Discussions

As the title says, I'd love to main Hag but I feel like there is a lot of knowledge I'm lacking, I have the basic fundamentals of how she works down, but I'm looking to cover all bases and work from there. Any help would be appreciated. I hear she is a more defensive Killer, which makes her rather unique and doesn't allow for as much base Killer transferable skills to come in to play since she isn't a chaser like most Killers. Recommended perks, add-on combos and builds would also be welcomed.

Comments

• tactic
    tactic Member Posts: 356
    Options

There’s a bug with her that can cause you to “spin” a bit after teleporting to a trap and it can really mess you up.

to avoid this, you should look in the general direction of the trap before teleporting to it. (You don’t always need to do this though, it’s just to be safe. If you’re in a hurry, the idea is to teleport there as fast as you can)

• coppersly
    coppersly Member Posts: 2,318
    Options

You have to look at the map differently when you're playing Hag. Try to focus on all the possible paths survivors will take to traverse the map and try to play traps where lots of those paths crossover to maximize the chance of it being triggered. Of course there are many other ways you need to place traps but this one will help you a lot in the beginning.

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
    edited July 2020
    Options

Here's some of my own advice. At the shack, trap inbetween the window and the pallet, so you can cover both. Only put 1 trap at the hook. Don't do chases without at least 5 traps down. Only chase if they are going into your web, or if they're in a deadzone. Your phantasm camera flick allows you to control survivors for a second, so you can try and make them bump into objects.

If you're at a pallet loop and the survivor drops the pallet and a phantasm triggers on their side, wait and see if they will vault the pallet, so you can catch them before even having to teleport.

Always keep your web active. Let's say you hit someone after a teleport hit, reset the trap, if they are in your web, you will catch up just as fast.

That's all I have, make sure to check those videos out.

Edit: Here's my go to perk build. Hag is the best user of corrupt in the game, it allows you to set up a web without have gens pop in 2 minutes, if you place well. Hag is bound to lose some gens though, since gens might fly after corrupt if off, so hag will be getting consistent pressure and hooks when her web is set. Pop is good for pressuring and regressing the gens mid and late game. After I place 1 trap at a hook, I go and patrol. Make your choice almost insures that once a survivor has been unhooked, the unhooker is going down soon, since I can either teleport if they trigger the trap, or they have to crouch away, allowing me to gain distance and insta down the unhooker. Save the best for last is great on hag, so when you teleport hit, you can recover quickly and if they trigger another trap in the chase, you can get them almost instantly.

Hag's best add-ons are the mint rag and rusty shackles, but they change up her gameplay so much, and I don't like them, there is normal hag and mint rag/rusty shackles hag. For basic hag, dried cicada or the teleport range add-ons allows you to teleport further, which is amazing. Also, the set up time add-ons have no downside, and always help. Playing killer is all about time efficiency, and the set up time add-ons or "necklets" always help.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174
    Options

Hag main here, the way I play is to try to chase as little as possible. The perks I use are Unrelenting, BBQ, Hex: Third Seal, and Monitor & Abuse. When placing traps I place them in high traffic areas/jungle gyms and save a couple for trapping hooks and using in chases at pallets to zone Survivors. If you're playing in PC it's a good idea to map your teleport action to the scroll wheel of your mouse so you can spin the wheel in a chase for instant teleports or if you're like me playing on controller it's super easy to spam left bumper when needed. Attack immediately after teleporting, that's why I use Unrelenting so if you miss you can get back into the chase a little faster. Monitor helps immensely for the early game to get a hit or two from people at pallets since it makes her terror radius tiny. BBQ I use mostly for the BPs but sometimes it helps immensely for the end game or against heavily immersed teams. The Third Seal is an extremely underrated perk that can get you sacrifices faster since it makes it harder for Survivors to find the ones in hooks.

For add-ons the best ones imo are teleport range increase and trap setting speed. The rest can help depending on your play style so I always encourage trying out new things but for me with the instant teleport attacks it's best for the ranged add-ons.

A couple things that help a lot are, know where basement is, and learn when to teleport. Most players will rush basement rescues and depending on how you trap it there won't be an exchange and you'll end up with two people hooked in basement. For knowing when to teleport I'm referring to trapping pallets; if they trigger at a pallet don't teleport immediately, wait to see if they keep running, drop the pallet, or vault back.

Space Coconut's videos on YouTube got me into Hag and gave me a pretty good basis for playing her (granted his perk selection is questionable to me sometimes, but to each their own) and another great resource is Michi who is anothet great Hag main.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,758
    Options

Identify a strong 3-gen and protect it with your life

• JesterClown
    JesterClown Member Posts: 225
    Options

Hmm for first off, you shouldnt go aggressive at the start of the game, gens will fly and you have to accept it, setting up traps is your primary goal for awhile, put traps in tough spots and on loops, if you do well with your trap placements, survivors will have to come to your minefield of traps because theyve already done gens on their side of the map so to speak. 2 really good perks are make your choice and save the best for last because you get so many hits because of all the traps you have set and make your choice is good because you are getting a down on every unhook, and if you wait a moment so that they can get the unhook, youll dodge BT. I dabbled in hag for awhile and thats some of my findings.

• A_Can_Of_Air
    A_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 2,015
    Options

I just watched that first video and I learned things I had no idea about and it made me excited to play her more, thanks for linking it :)

• MusicNerd_TC
    Options

Michi is the best hag in the game in my opinion. Even as a OG hag main, I learned a ton from that vid.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

Michi is maybe the best Hag main streamer and posted an excellent guide for Hag just this week. There are tricks in this video you would never think of as a casual player.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,070
    Options

Definitely check out El Señor Fluffy on twitch. One of the best Hag players out there and one of the few Hag mains in the competitive scene.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

@SpaceCoconut I summon mr. Aspiring To Be The Best Hag!

• 53nation
    53nation Member Posts: 681
    Options

Regarding MYC and a trap at hooked survivor..

Do you all wait for MYC to activate before teleporting? Or use it more passively as a free one shot via random trap activation?

I tend to teleport asap for the hook grab, which is essentially a 1 shot too, tho more unreliable.

• MusicNerd_TC
    Options

When I know MYC is going to trigger, I wait to teleport until the unhook, because grabs are bad in dbd.

• SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962
    edited July 2020
    Options

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED!

Behold the trove of Hag Knowledge and be amazed!

SC Hag guide: https://youtu.be/lDAnbiINJ1A

SC Hag Flanking tutorial: https://youtu.be/3CJ9lLpyqRU

Michi's Trap guide: https://youtu.be/AX5AGQiNKg0

Twitch Hag mains that I know about:

Me: https://www.twitch.tv/spacec0c0nut

Elix: https://www.twitch.tv/elix

• 53nation
    53nation Member Posts: 681
    Options

I hear ya. Rely on the more reliable thing. Makes sense.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,225
    Options

Use Corrupt to set up a web that survivors will be forced into early game

Use the time early game to get hits and build stacks of save the best for last (best hag perk)

Range addons are your friend

Let far gens fly if it shrinks the map closer to your web of traps

• Jakojo
    Jakojo Member Posts: 214
    Options

If you can place traps in corners around loops you can create a camera-flick on the survivor making you gain distance. It's annoying as hell to go against :P

• Seiji212
    Seiji212 Member Posts: 183
    Options

Monitor and Abuse is lethal on the Hag. Approach from unexpected angles using her small height. Remember every trap is a spot you can stand and weaponize her omnipresence

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    Options

Dedicated severs are her worst enemy alongside flashlights.

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871
    Options

Trap the Gen's, Trap the doorway's,

• GingerBeard
    GingerBeard Member Posts: 270
    Options

I can't give you any advice except please don't be one of those lame hags that place all her traps around a hooked survivor and uses them to proxy camp and tunnel said survivor.

I would also like to ask you not to become too good either. I'm more scared of a good hag compared to a good nurse, and i'm not just saying that because hag is the only killer that can still consistently jump scare me ;).

• tortrader
    tortrader Member Posts: 539
    edited July 2020
    Options

Keep a lot of traps placed. It does no good to have most of them unused, you're at a disadvantage. So put in the effort.

Teleport immediately upon trap being triggered and get a hit.

Place traps where you know survivors are going to cross, but not at the most obvious spots.

• Justalittlepeeck
    Justalittlepeeck Member Posts: 1,101
    edited July 2020
    Options

When trap activates, survivor's camera is forced to turn in the direction of the trap for a moment. You can use that you your advantage:

For example by placing a trap in killer's shack in the corner in front of basement ladder (on the side where pallet doesn't spawn). When survivor runs from that side, trap activates and he is forced to turn into wall for a moment, which can win you some time.

Also, putting trap under a hooked survivor is a good idea. Don't listen to those babies who say otherwise.

• 1nsignia
    1nsignia Member Posts: 306
    Options

^ Best hag main ever. I've learnt so much from michi. They show how much thought and skill it goes into put traps down perfectly. With predictions and such. Definitely recommend.

• kate_best_girl
    kate_best_girl Member Posts: 2,184
    Options

Honestly dont triangle hooks unless its basement, theyre better used at longer loops/High wall loops.

• MusicNerd_TC
    Options
  • MusicNerd_TC
    Options

Why though? You can put one down on a hook, and the survivors only have 2 options: trigger the trap and get grabbed, or unhook and crouch away which is slow. You will be able to put the unhooker on a hook right away if you have MYC. This seems like a rule a survivor would give to a hag from the survivor rulebook. Only 1 trap is needed at a hook though.

• dianaburse1
    dianaburse1 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Check out YouTuber Space Coconut he's the BEST hag main he even has tutorials I'm a hag main myself always be setting traps try make your choice monitor and abused nurses whispers try it

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871
    Options

Trap the Gen's you predict the best to be worked on. Idk what to tell you dude, works for me in red ranks.