Do you consider DBD to be casual or competitive?

Victor_hensley
Victor_hensley Member Posts: 800
edited August 2020 in Polls

On one hand, you are stuck in ranked mode, but on the other hand, this game is quite unbalanced to be taken seriously.

Do you consider DBD to be casual or competitive? 114 votes

Casual
60%
WeederickTechn0rhaFallenRanger0PandomJnnsMumintchapstickDaDevilsSkirtZerLukasWaterlsTapeKnotmaderrBabyCameron10scarface6345NekoGamerXAven_FallenBoosted_DwightATerribleBillyOicimauMrPenguin 69 votes
Competative
39%
Seiko300BlueberryVolantConch1719Kaitsjacoley_219TaigaSillierHorizon5Dr_LoomisPájapalletsryummyChrikkecanonymous31337ZoldyarRin_is_my_waifuEliteManny7GlamourousLeviathanSlayer192845[Deleted User]Warcrafter4Samwise444 45 votes
Post edited by Victor_hensley on

Comments

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666
    Casual

I would say casual because I hate competitive gaming. Competitive gaming ruins videogames, period.

• ToxicAsf
    ToxicAsf Member Posts: 25
    Casual

its in no way competitive. rng just ruins it and until theres a actual competitive mode i will not deem it a competitive game

•  Antares2332
    Antares2332 Member Posts: 1,088
    Casual

For me, is a competitive game until you reach rank 1. After that, it's casual. Only fun matters.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416
    Competative

Thats my problem with DBD, the devs are trying to stick the thing into a competitive format. When in reality it has no business being a competitive game.

• musefan
    musefan Member Posts: 345
    Casual

Casual. Simply because I find there is no reason to care about winning or losing (not even sure the definition of those in this game).

If a survivor dies early, or a killer doesn't get a kill, so what? The worst that happens is you de-pip... and honestly I don't care about my rank. I don't have anything to prove to anyone by being rank 1 all the time.

Other than rank, there is no motivation to care how the game plays out, so for me I don't view it as competitive.

And I am glad, because games that are too competitive are not fun at all, because too many people are bad losers. DbD has plenty of them already, and I never understand why they care so much...

• Victor_hensley
    Victor_hensley Member Posts: 800

SSB is officially considered to be a casual party game, not a competitive fighting game, and they really dislike it when people try to make it competitive.

While I understand your reasoning, but having every game that has you go against another person being competitive even if it is officially denounced? I don't think so.

• Cheers
    Cheers Member Posts: 3,426

To me it's both. If I'm facing a good team I'll give it my all. If not, I'm going to play normally.

• IamDwight
    IamDwight Member Posts: 236
    Casual

Pretty much the exact same response I would have given ^^^

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,216
    Competative

I tend to play very casually, but DBD is a competitive game by definition.

ANY game that revolves around two or more teams going against each other is competitive.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited August 2020
    Competative

(as of now) 16 - 16 holy god f*ckin damn

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Casual

It was original envisioned to be a casual game. At least that is what I believe. But through a lack of direction & proper balancing, it has become part Casual and Part competitive, and the lack of focus is really messing up the game. Especially now, with the casual gen times and Crutch perks ruining the fun of those who want a balanced, competitive game... and the tryhard competitive players using the imbalance of the casual crutch perks ruining the fun of those who want a casual, relaxed game.

• TotemsCleanser
    TotemsCleanser Member Posts: 617
    Casual

I don't think an asymmetrical game can ever be competitive. And definitely not one with as much RNG as DBD.

People play like it is, though.

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985
    Competative

Any game with a matchmaking system should be considered competitive.

• stargazer9
    stargazer9 Member Posts: 649
    Casual

SSB can be both, a casual and competitive game.

• Oicimau
    Oicimau Member Posts: 897
    Casual

DBD cant be competitive for some years until they find the perfect balancing setting.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Both, they aren't exclusive.

• Cinnabon488
    Cinnabon488 Member Posts: 64
    Competative

It's a hard question to answer. It's not balanced to be competitive. But the higher ranks you get most people play it competitive.

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259
    edited August 2020
    Casual

Competitive in feeling, but actually casual. There's too much imbalance, power disparity, and even bugs for it to be truly competitive. I don't mind it though. Well, except the bugs.*

• ATerribleBilly
    ATerribleBilly Member Posts: 69
    Casual

The game has too many RNG/luck mechanics to ever be considered competitive.

• Buckoben
    Buckoben Member Posts: 351
    Competative

Yes and the competitive community flourished despite the gate-keeping becoming the biggest esports fighting game of all-time. Put me down as DBD being competitive.

• ObscurityDragon
    ObscurityDragon Member Posts: 710
    Casual

Its a causal enjoyable game, made for fun and adrenaline....

That is until everyone is going all hard and competitive over a casuals game like they always do...and that kills the fun and the thrill of such a game and thats sad.

• Buckoben
    Competative

This wouldn't be a problem if the lobbies were split.

• ObscurityDragon
    Casual

Nah its not even the problem, but i would rather have like 30 ranks to rank up and make it way harder for surv to rank up (making like rank 10-5 already very good but the place where you enjoy more and ranks 5-1 the ones where you tryhard cause its the hard part, the "competitive" part)

Survivors rank up way too easily.

I think most of it may be cleared with MMr as the tryharders will have a high ranking, but their waiting time will be longer too i think.

• Enlyne
    Enlyne Member Posts: 429
    Casual

With RNG involved and all it's not competitive, also it doesn't even reward you properly for the ranks or devotion yet.

There's way better games to try and be competitive at... this one ain't worth it.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,797
    Competative

I'd say it's a competitive game, but like any competitive game there are going to be people who would rather meme around than take it seriously. It's also definitely not competitive in the e-sports sense. I don't think that'd be impossible for DBD, but it'd require some changes first.

• Buckoben
    edited August 2020
    Competative

Literally all of the problems with the infighting between casual and competitive players. could be solved if the Devs split the lobbies.

The casuals would stop complaining about "tryhards" in their casual game, and the competitive people can just be left alone (that's all we really want especially when we get no support form the devs or the people trying to gate-keep.)

• ObscurityDragon
    Casual

Well the problem is that many also complains about the waiting times to queue. Split the mods and you can be sure the waiting times will be doubled for everyones.

Plus the competitive mode would die quickly (i think) because people wouldnt want to willingly fight sweaty SWF groups.

And it doesnt mean these same groups cant go in normal mode as all the wish is to survive/gen rush/loop the killer to oblivion

• Buckoben
    Competative

Everyone who has left the game that has over 1k hours I can almost guarantee will disagree with you (a competitive mode is needed for people who know the game inside out)

besides the competitive community is going to do their thing with or without anyone's approval just like speedrunning.

• EntitledMyersMain
    EntitledMyersMain Member Posts: 832
    Casual

No matter how hard they try, DBD will always be casual.

• Slayer192845
    Slayer192845 Member Posts: 93
    Competative

I'd say competitive but that's just my mindset, any game where I'm versing other players is competitive to me, Call of Duty, Fall Guys, UNO, you name it.

• sad_killer_main
    sad_killer_main Member Posts: 785
    Competative

A game with an immense amount of grind, and just with 1 gamemode, a competitive one where you are always losing or gaining points, can never be a casual game.

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620

I'd say casual turn into competitive. I mean, the idea is to have fun and chill but some people are very tryhard and rage if they don't win.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425
    Casual

It's very much designed to be casual imo. Once we get into competitive things like meta build, multiple second chance perks, Spirit/Nurse, actual good players, ect. the game falls apart and becomes heavily unbalanced.

Its a casual game with competitive players, kinda like Smash. At least that's my view on it.

• illuminaegi
    illuminaegi Member Posts: 32
    Casual

Casual 100%. I do think that there is an argument to be made for seeing this game competitively (because there are really cool competitive DBD tournaments!) and there is a built in rank system, but the rank system is pretty bad with how inconsistent it is, and it has no rewards for being at high rank. (If anything, it just makes the game worse, since then you get tilted from trying to get better in the messed up system...)

Honestly, the game should be balanced competitively, but the game is best played for fun.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    Competative

It can be casual with friends.

But if you are solo and play every couple of weeks...at the end of the match you'll have to be identified by your dental records.

• EnderloganYT
    EnderloganYT Member Posts: 621
    Casual

I say competitive until one reaches purple ranks which is when you realize "who really cares" and begin just having fun with more diverse builds and risky plays, so as a whole I say casual

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277
    Casual

no competitive game with it being 4v1 and with random stuff and bug make unplayable for some not competitive game.