The Plague - Help Needed 😣

Dead_by_Gadfly
Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772
edited August 2020 in General Discussions

What is the best strategy to use for vommy mommy? Cause whatever it is it escapes me and im tired of getting crapped on.

What ive been doing is keeping everyone sick until the game gives me corrupt purge without ne having to go to a pool. But do ALL the fountains disappear when that happens?

Are you getting one person sick and then downing them or trying to get everyone sick and then downing them?

Most of the vids ive seen talk about builds, i need strategy. Any advice?

Comments

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

I can only speak for myself, but I usually do this:

Run addons that increase the time on items and either infectiousness or corrupt purge duration.

vomit on whatever you think survivors will use: mainly gens, ledges etc. vomit on pallets when giving chase (aka, stop and vomit when a surv runs by one, chances are high they'll drop it)

don't use the fountain till you got at least two survs in the broken status/during endgame.

also, vomit on one of the gate switches should all gens get done

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

So, it has been awhile since I've played the Plague, but I'll try my best.

I would NOT wait until the game gives you Corrupt Purge, this means that all of your fountains have been used, and it will reset all of them.

What I usually do is, if I can see a Survivor, puke on them, if not, puke on gens and patrol. If you do get multiple Survivors broken, the Plague can snowball very easily, as they are all one-shot. So, I would try to infect as many as possible while patrolling, then single one out and down them. If you are lucky, a Survivor who is already broken will have to make the save, meaning you get another hook instantly.

I know you didn't ask for builds but my old build (Pre-Ruin Nerf) was Corrupt Intervention, Ruin, Pop Goes the Weasel and Dying Light. Then, I had the two infection time add-ons. Maximum game slowdown.

• Schinsly
    Schinsly Member Posts: 176

ik all these people are being positive but if you want my personal opinion uninstall

• Dpooly
    Dpooly Member Posts: 474

I always make sure whoever I'm chasing is fully infected before downing them, the 'Vile Purge effectiveness' addons really help to achieve this. Any time you pass a generator, puke on it, you only have to charge it for 1.5 seconds. She really lacks map pressure, so trying to spot a 3 gen to defend at the beginning really helps too. I like running Dark Devotion, Nemesis, Furtive Chase and usually BBQ for the 4th perk but the new auras suck so PGTW or Corrupt Intervention work well in it's place.

• TheMonadoBoi
    TheMonadoBoi Member Posts: 346

Ngl if you face a good team, most of the time you're not gonna be able to do much as plague.

My recommendation is to force them to cleanse so you can get your OP projectile asap. Many people recommend Thana, but honestly decent survs know the effect is negligible, and don't ever cleanse because of that. HOWEVER, Blood Echo is MUCH more effective to force survivors to cleanse, since they feel absolutely helpless without Dead Hard, Spring Burst, etc.

Get everyone infected as FAST as you can, don't chase anyone until everyone is sick, then chase the last/weakest guy and snowball from there. If they start cleansing, make sure you have AT LEAST one person sick, so you don't lose all your momentum.

Good luck.

• Dpooly

One other thing I'll mention in case you didn't know, any addon that says Vile Purge works with Corrupt Purge too (like the cooldown for example) but the ones that say Corrupt don't affect Vile.

• Quol
    Quol Member Posts: 694
    edited August 2020

It's best to use a pool when you know or have a good idea where someone is (like BBQ) because there is a global sound that plays when you power up and its fairly easy for a survivor to play defensively/hide until the effect runs out. Dont pick it up at random.

You can charge up the vomit and hold it (like Huntress hatches) obviously don't loop doing this but it's good to get into position.

Also when you spew the vomit make sure to move your view side to side to cover as much area as possible in a zigzag shape. You usually don't want to vomit in a straight line but there are exceptions (like pallets)

A common tactic to down survivors is if they are out positioned keep vomiting on them to speed up the infection and when they get broken then you attack. This avoids giving them a speed boost to somewhere decent. Don't do this at shack obviously, but if it's a fence or something infect then hit.

If the game gives you corrupt it means the survivors cleansed at every fountain and there are no clean ones left so the game gives you the power and cleanses every fountain, this is very bad because you end up wasting multiple fountains.

• Dead_by_Gadfly

You both mentiined puking on stuff. Does that really work? It always seemed like a waste of time. But yeah ill try that, thanks

• Dead_by_Gadfly
  • Dead_by_Gadfly

Yeah i think that might be my problem. I thought i was being clever by saving them :/

• Dead_by_Gadfly

I was thinking thana + dying light since the healing buff is non existent. But dying light always feels light it does absolutely nothing so idk.

I think ill run corrupt and try to get people sick quick at the beginng. Thanks

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

Not puke pointlessly:

you can use it as an additional marker when you're looking for survs by puking on gens and then checking other gens (not a surefire method, but works fairly well)

ledges and pallets usually during chases.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

There isn't actually much strategy with Plague, TBH. Spread infection early and don't go for a full infection unless you are guaranteed to get it quick. Infect pallets and windows. Infect downed survivors and hooked survivors (aim at their shins). Everything else is m1 killer skill/Plague Purge skill, and both you and the survivors having good server connections.

And the rest is out of your control. If the survivors aren't cleansing, play normal m1 killer. If they are cleansing, make sure to keep at least 1 person infected, and clean out the fountains around the generator area so they are forced to cleanse beside you or stay broken. If your fountain is in a good location, use it. If it isn't, ignore it unless you have a ridiculous advantage in terms of gens done/players left. You will lose games trying to get your fountain from the other side of the map.

If you want early pressure, run infection rate add-ons and go for dull infections. If you want more chances to use Corrupt Purge, use apples. Remember, everything that says "Vile Purge" works with Corrupt Purge (except infection rate add-ons).

• GreezyWeezy
    GreezyWeezy Member Posts: 72

ABP= Always be puking. Infect gens, pallets and vaults chasing in loops, and especially survivors. Corrupt purge is awesome in chase's because when you make hits with the red puke, there is no cool down besides recharging your vomit. Get an addon that reduces corrupt recharge and you are money. Play like 10 games where all you do is puke on people and stuff to practice your aim and figure out your limitations because puking ain't always easy.

• Dpooly

There's this YT channel 'int3r4ct' that actually gives the numbers on what each addon does and details pretty much everything else as well. The humor is kinda dry but overall pretty educational

• Dead_by_Gadfly

I like interact, he goes over buikds but not strat so much. I was looking for something a little more advanced than the basics

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430
    edited August 2020

I would recommend using Corrupt Intervention. So many people would rather use PGTW or Ruin but generally I feel this perk is amazing on her. For starters, once you spawn on the map you can start throwing up on the available gens, this will a) determine what kind of survivors you are up against, as in are they going to play safe or not b) help you track in general, because you only have so many gens to patrol.

The thing I feel that you have to do with Plague is become a threat. Since many survivors are good at dodging her vomit in general, they might opt to cleanse more than you will realize. So again, become a threat. Show them that if they cleanse too frequently they are allowing you to potentially snowball.

I agree with others that you should infect as much of the props as you can, however don’t be too over invested in doing that because if a survivor is already sick, there is no sense in puking on things since they are basically walking sickness.

Plague is the most fun when you can bounce between making people sick and using Corrupt Purge, but there are many situations where one or the other hold more value. As an example, if you see reckless survivors going for an unhook wait until the survivor is fully unhooked and hit them with corrupt, you could have possibly 2 downs in one hit. 😀

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

im sure that the other posts will talk about tips for playing plague but for your perks make sure they will work wither or not survivors cleanse. example pgtw, infectious fright, bbq, and blood echo. that build works no matter what survivors do so if they dont cleanse you get blood echo to get rid of the exhaustion perks and you can easily find them and if they cleanse you can try to snowball with your corrupt purge.

• Trip
    Trip Member Posts: 2

I'm still in the process of learning Plague, but one thing I've learned is that the early game is INCREDIBLY important for her. You want to find, at least partially infect and, ideally, hook at least two survivors before the first gen is done. Discordance, Corrupt Intervention, and Whispers are all great for this, but I wouldn't recommend running all three, one is enough. Doing this means that either they don't cleanse, which means they will infect their friends and everyone will be easy pickings once you find them again, or they do cleanse, which you're happy with since you can use your corrupt purge to quickly down multiple survivors. You absolutely don't want to allow survivors to force you into using your power, it essentially robs you of five minutes' worth of corrupt purge. If they're cleansing really aggressively, consume that corruption aggressively to match them.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

I tried a game with her and can barely aim my puke anymore since they changed (bugged?) her POV height

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

You definitely need to be more aggressive with your Corrupt Purge. It’s extremely powerful and most survivors actually fear it. Don’t travel across the map to grab a pool in the corner, but pools near gens or central structures are your best friend. If you see more than one survivor around, or injured survivors, and you have a corrupted pool handy, drink it and start to snowball.

The kiss of death when playing Plague is over committing to any one chase. Since survivors have nothing else to do except gens (no need to heal), taking your eye off the ball for too long will mean you lose 2-3 at once. So you really need to juggle and prioritise certain targets, and don’t be afraid to slug when you have Corrupt.

• Switcheroo
    Switcheroo Member Posts: 48

Do survivors who are broken from sickness get affected by things like thanataphobia? Do they drop blood?

• Dead_by_Gadfly

This was well put, never even thoughg about where tge pools are before, thanks

• Dead_by_Gadfly

Theyre for sure affected by thanta, probably leave blood but idk

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

Look for people, spew vomit on them, if they're running in a straight line or running without a plan then continue spraying on them till they're broken, if they are running with a plan then just spray em and move onto the next person, don't take corrupt purge in the middle of a chase unless the survivor happens to walk by a fountain

also, when in doubt, spaz out

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,246

She has some massive issues with her kit, but there are optimizations you can use to make her decent.

I prefer Ruin/Surveillance over Corrupt for early game on Plague. You're going to be bouncing around puking on everything and everyone. Your goal early game is to have at least 2 or 3 infected fully before the first gen pops. You want to force survivors to play broken for as long as possible or have multiple Corrupted pools as early as possible.

Plague is one of the few killers I'd advocate for multiple slowdown perks on. Survivors can't heal against her if you're spreading the infection optimally. So you're losing 16 seconds of natural game stall for every instance that a survivor would heal against a different killer. On top of that, survivors can soft reset the game by simultaneously cleansing at fountains around the midway point of the trial. Ruin/Thanat is fine. Corrupt/Pop also works.

Bamboozle is your best friend. The tiles where you can't hit Corrupt Purge against good survivors are jungle gyms or other strong window tiles. You need long straightaways because of the absurd speed curve on the wind up. You can, however, arc Corrupt Purge over medium wall tiles like hay bales. You just have to stand back a little bit. At loops, you want to wind up before you round a corner, kind of like Billy charging a chain saw. You barely have enough time to hit them if you aim at the corner.

In general, short blasts of either vomit mode are better than long bursts unless you're absolutely sure you can hit them with the full stream. Accuracy in short bursts is better than inaccurate long streams.

There are going to be situations where coordinated teams will attempt to cheese the infection mechanic and over-cleanse to deny you fountains. It's dumb, but you lose all your fountains and automatically gain one when survivors use every fountain. In other words, you can get penalized when survivors mess up or intentionally bum rush the fountains. Instead of having your power the entire game, you'll have one use. To get around this, be aware that it's happening and grab 2 or 3 fountains at a time. Yup...overwrite your power. You don't want to have more than 4 or 5 available pools, because then you're in danger of losing all of them. It's asinine, but it is what it is for now.

She's not viable in a competitive setting, but if she's played well, she can be a low B tier killer in most games.

• Khroalthemadbomber
    Khroalthemadbomber Member Posts: 1,073

For perks run a build that makes them want to cleanse. Thana and Blood Echo are good for that.

For add-ons use ones that capitalize on Corrupt Purge. I'm a fan of increased speed while you hold Corrupt Purge and Cooldown reduction with movement speed while charging.