The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

HELP : Internet Speed for lag free matches (PS4)

Hello people of the fog, 

I am a new Dead By Daylight player. I play DBD, but it is kinda laggy. Survivors complain that I lag a lot. And as a survivor I rubberband a lot, too. I have a 10mbps plan, but do not think it is enough after I heard them complain to me and call me noob lag switcher q.q. What plan do you have? What is recommended? Is 100mbps wired broadband connection enough? If so, I will get it right away. Please help. Thanks. 

Comments

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

You need good pings for multiplayer games, internet speeds are completely irrelevant, they only make you download the patches faster.

I have 750 KB/s yes KILOBITS because I am a cheap ######### and use the free internet in my appartment. But due to the fact that its a glasfibre connection, I get 20 ms ping and this is what counts. (Sure I always regret when downloading new games but well.... :lol: )

By the way, using a wired connection instead of wifi might improve your stability issues, but I assume it was just another salty survivor accusing you without any reason

• SteenGooier
    SteenGooier Member Posts: 3

10Mbps isn't that much, but it should definitely be enough to play DbD lag-free.
    A stable speed is especially important when you're playing killer, because then you'll be hosting the match.

My internet speed is 40Mbps down/4Mbps up, but I never have any lag issues in DbD.

Is your PS4 connected to your router via Wifi or an ethernet cable?
    If it is connected via Wifi, consider using an ethernet cable instead. If your PS4 isn't close to your router, consider buying a "powerline adapter", so you can still have a wired connection between PS and router.

• CodyJia
    CodyJia Member Posts: 37
    edited September 2018
    Currently, I have a lan cable connected to my ps4 via my router. I still have NAT type 2 and I get an arrow icon next to my ps4 party chat, my friends complain that my voice breaks. Even though if I have a yellow ping, it lags so much that vaulting a window  leaves me on the same side of the window :/ When I am playing killer, sometimes all survivors get dc'd even before the match starts and I often get 'connect to online services' pop up then, along with the other issues and complains mentioned above. Maybe it's more of a latency issue? idk. I don't understand much. But I am willing to change my provider, and get 100mbps connection, directly connected to my ps4 without any router in the middle. I just hope I will have a lag free experience then.

PS : Netflix, downloading games and stuff all work perfectly fine on 10mbps, but gaming is nightmare for me now. 
  • TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052
    It's not network lag, it's hardware lag. Put simply, the game is poorly optimized for console right now and it is one of the top priorities for the devs at the moment. 

Because of the peer to peer nature of the game, if the host (killer) experinces framerate drops, it will cause lag for everyone.
  • CodyJia
    I agree that the game is poorly optimised, but I am sure it's network lag. If you read what I posted in detail, you will agree too. 
  • FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

@CodyJia said:
    I agree that the game is poorly optimised, but I am sure it's network lag. If you read what I posted in detail, you will agree too. 

I'm not sure that you are aware that your network packets are processed by the console's CPU. So when the CPU is choking on a poorly optimized game, the network packets go out slower.

Game itself only has to process packets from 4 different sources in between whatever the OS is sending in. So I have my doubts it's your narrow pipeline by itself. However, if you have multiple devices using that same connection, it can't hurt to upgrade.

• lyric
    lyric Member Posts: 611
    CodyJia said:
    Hello people of the fog, 

I am a new Dead By Daylight player. I play DBD, but it is kinda laggy. Survivors complain that I lag a lot. And as a survivor I rubberband a lot, too. I have a 10mbps plan, but do not think it is enough after I heard them complain to me and call me noob lag switcher q.q. What plan do you have? What is recommended? Is 100mbps wired broadband connection enough? If so, I will get it right away. Please help. Thanks. 
    Keep an eye on ping rates before you start a match as well , sometimes it’s the killer and not you, if it goes above 275 back out is my general rule of thumb
  • BoxingRouge
    BoxingRouge Member Posts: 606
    edited September 2018
    I use to have 10mbs download and 5mbs upload and I also had the have the same messages, but I recently upgraded to 60mbs download and 25mbs upload and my matches have been perfect since. My connection is wired. PS4 also rated my old speed as poor when I tried to shareplay. So I would recommend you to get a fibre connection if you want to play P2P games.
    Post edited by BoxingRouge on
  • CodyJia
    I used to have 10mbs download and 5mbs upload and I use to have the same messages, but I recently upgraded to 60mbs download and 25mbs upload and my matches have been perfect since. My connection is wired. PS4 also rated my old speed as poor when I tried to shareplay. So I would recommend you to get a fibre connection if you want to play P2P games.
    This is what I wanted to hear. Thank you. I'm going forward with it. And I will make sure that I post my experience after switching to a better connection speed. 
  • slingshotsurvivor
    slingshotsurvivor Member Posts: 943

@CodyJia said:

I'm not sure that you are aware that your network packets are processed by the console's CPU. So when the CPU is choking on a poorly optimized game, the network packets go out slower.

Game itself only has to process packets from 4 different sources in between whatever the OS is sending in. So I have my doubts it's your narrow pipeline by itself. However, if you have multiple devices using that same connection, it can't hurt to upgrade.

This! 
  • HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

It's barely enough use wired connection instead of wifi

• TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052
    CodyJia said:
    I did. Trust me, lag mostly comes from the killer's side since they are host. And most lag in DBD on console comes from the hardware not being able to handle everything that is going on. As @FrenziedRoach explained, this will cause network lag regardless of your connection speed. I have excellent ping most of the time as killer (less than 100 a lot of the time) but still experience what SEEMS like network lag. This only happens on console. This is due to poor optimization. Wait for a patch before you invest more money into your ISP
  • CodyJia
    edited September 2018
    Getting a 100 Mbps connection has resolved this issue for me. Thank you all for your support. I have tested it for 5 days and all issues aren't occuring anymore. I would recommend to get a 100mbps connection atleast to enjoy this game. 
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei Member Posts: 2,637
    edited September 2018
    Let me clear some things up here.

Your download isnt as much of a factor as you are thinking. 10mg is plenty for this game.

Your upload is just as much of a factor. If youre not sending packets quickly to the host (killer) then your download speed doesnt matter. Essentially, you are moving in your game client, and sending data to the host updating it of your current location. When this data isnt received quickly, you will rubberband around because the server is only getting bits and pieces of “your location” data, thus your quick download speed only serves to quickly bump you around in a messy looking movement pattern.

On most ISPs, your upload is 10% of your download, and often the numbers when tested arent even as high as you pay for. thus your upload speed was less than 1mg, probably about .8 or so. This was likely the cause of your problem. Now that you have 100down / 10up, you are fine, not because the 10down became 100down, but because the 1up became 10up.

• CodyJia
    Lowbei said:
    Let me clear some things up here.

Your download isnt as much of a factor as you are thinking. 10mg is plenty for this game.

Your upload is just as much of a factor. If youre not sending packets quickly to the host (killer) then your download speed doesnt matter. Essentially, you are moving in your game client, and sending data to the host updating it of your current location. When this data isnt received quickly, you will rubberband around because the server is only getting bits and pieces of “your location” data, thus your quick download speed only serves to quickly bump you around in a messy looking movement pattern.

On most ISPs, your upload is 10% of your download, and often the numbers when tested arent even as high as you pay for. thus your upload speed was less than 1mg, probably about .8 or so. This was likely the cause of your problem. Now that you have 100down / 10up, you are fine, not because the 10down became 100down, but because the 1up became 10up.

Yes. Thank you. But I was skeptical since many players commented that it was a performance issue rather than a network issue. I'm just happy that it turned out to be just fine. 
  • HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

I think10mp/s is bare minimum for online gaming. Connect your ps4 using ethernet cable, don't download anything, don't use wifi on any other devices while playing

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018

You could have the best internet on Earth and still lag because the killer is the host of the match. I get a max of 8Mb/s, normally 4Mb/s and it is fine so.

EDIT: Spelling error.

• only1biggs
    only1biggs Member Posts: 1,178

To anyone saying they don't lag on wifi...get a fcking clue! :'D

You spike all the time with your unstable connection. Go away and get an ethernet cable. Immediately.