Stop pretending that playing scummy is skillful

Multiple games now the killer has tunneled 1 person to death for the 3v1 without chasing hardly anyone else, then get easy hook trade camps the rest of the match. Their defense? "I'm better than you. Get good." These aren't yellow rank noobs either. These are red ranks which legitimately worries me. I know we can't exactly play on an honor system, because even I as killer tunnel/slug when the gens are going too fast for me. But I have never said that playing like that wasn't scummy. It just has to be done when you as the killer are rapidly running out of time. To claim that kills that came from tunneling and camping was skillful is ridiculous, and disgusts me as a fellow killer player. Yes, playing scummy can be the optimal thing to do, like having 2 hooked people and patrolling them both. But it's still scummy, nothing to be proud of like these guys are. If you think it was all skill that made the survivors lose when you're using a mori, or NOED, or camping, mass slugging, or tunneling, you're delusional.

Comments

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994

It's not skillful, but an easy way to take the pressure out of the game. How many games are won, when nearly at the start of the game one survivor dies? Only a few, so i can full understand this strategy.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

"Without chasing hardly anyone else"

Did he though? Cause if so thats not tunneling. And if the person their chasing sucks thats on me, Ive come across PLENTY of survivors that are decent enough to make the tunnel damaging. That is, assuming youre doing what youre supposed to (hint: its gens)

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

Noone will ever adapt to that because unhooks is the easiest and quickest way to get BP (especially when you get WGLF double stacks by the protection hit) and rather keep complaining. I promote gen rushing for a year now and would actually teach these killers that they simply actively go AFK as they don't do anything and don't get BP.

This ONLY works in SWF when your mate tells you to do gens and is fine dying, and I just can say it feels good to die on first hook with 5k Boldness points and watch the killer for 2 minutes to end up with below 10k BP and a depip. But noone will take that as argument and go like "§but my BP" and "but my pip" and go on feed the killer, just to end up in an easy 4k with 25k+ BP for the killer and facing the same **** again the next game, just because it works for the killer.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

So it's fine for someone to play how they want to the point where I CAN'T PLAY AT ALL because of their actions?

Even though I've also payed money for this game, and probably more than them?

Sounds like an old thread of mine I made.

• Unicorn
    Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340

that everyone bought this game so everyone should equally enjoy it.

• mydogmax19
    mydogmax19 Member Posts: 266

No one cares, scummy=skills. So... get good or get rekt.

• Unicorn
    Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340

You asked for a point, I just stated it. 🤷🏽‍♀️

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

Without a doubt certainly annoying but it's not scummy, people just like to say it is.

• korean_zombie
    korean_zombie Member Posts: 442

If I wind up downing a survivor shortly after they were unhooked I won’t pick them up. Not waiting out DS, but will not pick them up. I’d rather 0k than tunnel. Not because of some obligation to the survivors but because proxy camping just isn’t a fun play style. You can however buy a hard tunnel with your play style. It’s not very often.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

do gen it easy as survivor anyways don't do unsafe unhooking..

• PigMainClaudette

I replied to YOU and I was saying that about YOUR point.

If I had one for the OP, then I wouldn't have replied to you. I cannot believe that I have to explain that to someone who's clearly not new to the forums.

• Name_Unavailable
    Name_Unavailable Member Posts: 519

Still will be boring. Even if we maneged all 3 escapes, still boring.

Best argument ever. lol. All scummy people in all games use this as 'defence'

in Call of duty for example, Someone camping making other players experience much worse, people open the mic to tell him stop camping, he rise the same argument "iTs mY MoOneY".

Stop saying it like you are the only one who paid for this game.

• SonicOffline
    SonicOffline Member Posts: 917

If you got "scummed" just think of it as a strat you haven't been forced to deal with yet. If we weren't allowed to do it we wouldn't be allowed to do it, in the vast majority of cases. The only one I can think of is certain cases of body blocking, like with the intention of stalling.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

this game can be nightmare to play only thing to really to move on to next match hope for a good one.

• YumiiXO
    YumiiXO Member Posts: 97

Well yes technically they wouldn't care about what you spent on the game. As long as people have their fun it's fine who cares.

When I play survivor I can just play for memes and then mess with a killer pretty badly and I had fun but did the killer? Probably not depending on if they like the funny stuff I'm doing. Doesn't mean I have to care about their fun. Same applies the other way.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266
    edited August 2020

Wrong, the only point he will not get is hook section. Other 3 point section, Killer can keep toying with other 3 to gain full points, which is assure a pip.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • YumiiXO
    YumiiXO Member Posts: 97

Why should I care that you payed for a game though? If I want to camp in COD I'm gonna do it lol. If I want to meme or ######### with a killer I'm gonna do it. Could care less as long as I'm having fun, right?

• EmpireWinner
    EmpireWinner Member Posts: 1,054

Everyone chooses to play how they please, this post doesn't prove anything

• PigMainClaudette

Technically you're correct and technically it's fine if someone is fun, however some people's brand of "fun" is boring as watching grass grow for everyone else in the match.

Both sides NEED each other for this game, and allowing obnoxious, scummy and just disrespectful "strategies" or "tactics" will ultimately force away players in the long run. Steam charts and player counts for now or the last month won't matter.

The community is towards the top of a hellish spiral right now, and it's only going to get worse.

• Name_Unavailable
    Name_Unavailable Member Posts: 519

This leads to much worse experience for all. Even for the people who enjoy ruining others experiences they will start to hate the game because others become toxic too.

Will toxicity ever end anyway? No, but we can make it less by not defend it and make excuses for it.

• MonsterInMyMind
    MonsterInMyMind Member Posts: 2,744
    edited August 2020

What does that even have to do with the conversation though that's not at all what the point is there are rules to this game as long as people are not breaking the rules there is no issue maybe instead of being passive aggressive you learn to actually make a point :P

• MonsterInMyMind
    edited August 2020

There are rules to the game if they are not breaking them sorry to tell you nothing will be done it's called common sense instead of telling people how to play just play the game who cares people are going to do things that are frowned upon because it gets a reaction you'd be shocked if you just stopped caring how boring it would get for those doing it. Also what the OP listed are legit strategies that have been okay'd by the devs.

• terumisan
    terumisan Member Posts: 1,293
  • PigMainClaudette

You presented a point, I refuted that point. It's called debate.

If you also know anything about me, you'll know that I'm not the passive-aggressive type on these forums. I just present facts as is. My issue with saying that tunnelling and camping are fine because the killer payed money for the game is factually wrong. The survivors all payed money too, and should be allowed to PLAY the game. Tunnellers and campers do not allow for that.

Maybe instead of labelling me, you'd actually make a case against what I'm saying and learn to use some actual grammar. It makes reading replies so much easier. If you want to play the passive-aggressive game, I'll play too.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,438
    edited August 2020

I play to win. You obviously don't. Stop being a scrub, and play to win.

Here is an excerpt from the book that describes exactly you right now:

The derogatory term “scrub” means several different things. One definition is someone (especially a game player) who is not good at something (especially a game). By this definition, we all start out as scrubs, and there is certainly no shame in that. I mean the term differently, though. A scrub is a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about. A scrub does not play to win.

Now, everyone begins as a poor player—it takes time to learn a game to get to a point where you know what you’re doing. There is the mistaken notion, though, that by merely continuing to play or “learn” the game, one can become a top player. In reality, the “scrub” has many more mental obstacles to overcome than anything actually going on during the game. The scrub has lost the game even before it starts. He’s lost the game even before deciding which game to play. His problem? He does not play to win.

The scrub would take great issue with this statement for he usually believes that he is playing to win, but he is bound up by an intricate construct of fictitious rules that prevents him from ever truly competing. These made-up rules vary from game to game, of course, but their character remains constant. Let’s take a fighting game off of which I’ve made my gaming career: Street Fighter.

In Street Fighter, the scrub labels a wide variety of tactics and situations “cheap.” This “cheapness” is truly the mantra of the scrub. Performing a throw on someone is often called cheap. A throw is a special kind of move that grabs an opponent and damages him, even when the opponent is defending against all other kinds of attacks. The entire purpose of the throw is to be able to damage an opponent who sits and blocks and doesn’t attack. As far as the game is concerned, throwing is an integral part of the design—it’s meant to be there—yet the scrub has constructed his own set of principles in his mind that state he should be totally impervious to all attacks while blocking. The scrub thinks of blocking as a kind of magic shield that will protect him indefinitely. Why? Exploring the reasoning is futile since the notion is ridiculous from the start.

You will not see a classic scrub throw his opponent five times in a row. But why not? What if doing so is strategically the sequence of moves that optimizes his chances of winning? Here we’ve encountered our first clash: the scrub is only willing to play to win within his own made-up mental set of rules. These rules can be staggeringly arbitrary. If you beat a scrub by throwing projectile attacks at him, keeping your distance and preventing him from getting near you—that’s cheap. If you throw him repeatedly, that’s cheap, too. We’ve covered that one. If you block for fifty seconds doing no moves, that’s cheap. Nearly anything you do that ends up making you win is a prime candidate for being called cheap. Street Fighter was just one example; I could have picked any competitive game at all.

You. Are. A. Scrub.

• MonsterInMyMind
    edited August 2020

Camping and tunneling are strategies that anyone can use at their disposal the developers have stated this people paid money to play how they choose not to be told by someone how to play there you go i rest my case. Scummy or not they each have downsides. Next Decisive strike borrowed time life savers knowing how to loop also a life saver. Lastly Again insults won't prove your point you just look like a child try again you started the passive aggressive position we can go back and forth all day at the end of the day the developers are at fault here they basically backed these strategies being a thing and even started making things based off them if you don't like that best thing i can tell ya is tough luck :/

As of now i am choosing to end my conversation with you since you claim to debate but instead start insulting when you actually feel like having a conversation we can but from this point i am choosing to no longer give you attention.

• PigMainClaudette

When did I say anything insulting? Please let me know, because I am always extremely careful with how I word things.

I am also trying to have a reasonable conversation, but you appear to be changing the argument and trying to make me out to be something that I am not. In my experience, this is a tactic only used by those who do not have an argument.

All I have said is that the "I payed money" excuse doesn't hold up because there are four survivors who paid to every one killer in a game. It doesn't hold up on a fundamental level.

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723

I completely agree. Winning by any means is what you do in a PVP game. Telling something someone is doing is scummy because it allows them to win is a bad argument from the getgo. You can't tell someone how to play just because it's efficient and that person doesn't like it.

• AVoiceOfReason

COD Camping is still a strategy. Not everyone is a rusher. Some camp to get score streaks. Using that as an example just proves my point. PVP cannot be toned down or made easier for one side. We all play differently and if you can't handle it, play a different game with bots.

• AVoiceOfReason

Every time. I agree. It's why I stopped doing so and play the way I want.

• AVoiceOfReason

It's skillful to outplay 4 people who are not bots, down them all and kill each one while dodging second chance perks on 4 people. You might not like dying due to your own skill but I don't like losing due to RNG. Can't always win in a PVP game. Otherwise, there would be no reason to play something so predictable.

• AVoiceOfReason

That's the point. No one is preventing you from playing. You can still get unhooked. If you suck at being chased, learn to loop better. Don't try to penalize the killer because he/she is efficient. You have BT, DH, SB and even DS to get away. If you still get downed multiple times in a match, that's on you. They also have swivel hooks. Suggesting that a killer is scummy for taking you out tells me more about your skill than the killer.

• Keeper
    Keeper Member Posts: 27

as a solo q player tbh theres so many survivors that cant loop and go down within few seconds(even at red ranks) and if the killer decides to tunnel that survivor the game is basically over with like 3~4 gens left and the funny thing is they are using top tier killers like freddy nurse and spirit.