Totem counter is needed

Options

Many suggest a totem counter in the UI (I'm a fan of it) or into a perk.

But I came across a new idea:

How about having 5 lit candles in the basement representing all totems? In solo Q you could simply go down and check how many are left.

Comments

• SonicOffline
    SonicOffline Member Posts: 915
    Options

How about you just sweep for totems?

• TMCalypso
    TMCalypso Member Posts: 334
    Options

I like the idea. Gives the survivors something else to do and might make using Territorial Imperative SLIGHTY more useful.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117
    Options

I'm always down for survivors having more reason to put themselves in harm's way for information and benefits. "Sweeping for totems" is great in theory and all, but the maps are large and you can't spend all day farting around.

• Freesham
    Freesham Member Posts: 262
    Options

I like the idea of a totem counter. This brings information for solo survivors closer to that of SWFs, since if you're on comms you can tell each other how many totems you've broken and such.

• zoozoom6
    zoozoom6 Member Posts: 825
    Options

not on ui as base kit but in basement or as a perk sounds fine

• sekkima
    sekkima Member Posts: 194
    Options

Of the few good ideas that I see in the forum.

I like it. 🤟

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259
    Options

Really like the basement idea!

• Zaonhort
    Zaonhort Member Posts: 101
    Options

Basement idea is really neat, I also wouldn't mind a counter as part of a perk like Small Game, or just make it base kit (or base kit solo survivor).

• Auron471
    Auron471 Member Posts: 1,310
    Options

give the counter to detective's hunch. B/c through my elite detective skills, i can deduce that there are only 2 totems left.

• drakonukaris
    drakonukaris Member Posts: 129
    Options

Honestly just show how many totems are left on the UI, no need to go that far...

• DecemberMan
    DecemberMan Member Posts: 30
    Options

There is not even an indicator how many hooks each person has left, so I don't think they'll add that.

• Enlyne
    Enlyne Member Posts: 429
    Options

Please yes, I'm so tired of not having a clue how many are left and checking on the basement seems a proper danger for taking that info, at least to my eyes I love the whole idea behind it.

• PerkyPerky
    PerkyPerky Member Posts: 347
    Options

Then DS, Dead hard, unbreakable and BT counter are also needed. Oh and hooks too.

Like you only have to track totems and gens, look at what the killer have to keep track of?

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    edited August 2020
    Options

No, with games as fast as they go these days, the time people spend looking for totems is literally part of why the games last even 6 minutes and one of the major reasons people run them,... to slow the game down.

Totem counter would be a totem nerf, which is already a gamble for killers. By adding this it would literally shorten games even more.

• PerkyPerky
    Options

No I am not.

Survivors literally have to only keep track of Generators and Totems, and why add an indicator? Part of NOED is surprise attack, that's an indirect nerf.

• MikaKim
    MikaKim Member Posts: 334
    Options

My only issue with this idea is that noobs will have no idea what it means and anyone with any time in the game will know where to look for totems anyway.

• MikaKim
    MikaKim Member Posts: 334
    Options

He's not unfortunately.

This forum is heavily killer biased so posts like his are as common as night and day.

His ridiculous hot take is just symbolic of the echo room of this place. Seriously.....

Like why an indirect and incredibly small 'nerf' (I struggle to call it a nerf) would require all his changes to be implemented.

• PleassBuiltInNoed
    PleassBuiltInNoed Member Posts: 618
    Options
  • DrDeepwound
    edited August 2020
    Options

I was referring to totem counters in general, obviously. While the OPs idea is one of the better ways of implimenting a totem counter, I am still against it for reasons I have stated time and time again on this forum.

You can disagreee its ok, back to my coffee.,,,

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,658
    edited August 2020
    Options

I'd disagree. A totem counter would be a valuable soloQ buff that brings them closer in power to SWF, allowing BHVR an across-the-board killer buff since solos would be better.

Also hopefully that change will happen soon to re-introduce the existence of the early game which will slow matches down (yay :D)

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985
    Options

I'd like to see an on-screen totem counter.

• Srhards
    Srhards Member Posts: 4
    Options

Maaaaan, I just Love it. Previously I thought about a totem conter as a UI element, just a number beside a tiny skull as a hint to survivors, or just a stack conter to be added to small game. But this idea is very cool aswell, I wood like very mutch to see a hello from BHVR about this.

• TheDFD
    TheDFD Member Posts: 64
    edited August 2020
    Options

This is actually a really good idea, as well as that there should be a counter beside peoples names at the bottom to say what hook they are on so you don't end up running half way across the map to get someone down only for it to be their last hook.

• VonCrow
    VonCrow Member Posts: 389
    Options

What if we give extra bloodpoints to all survivors in the trial if all totems get clenased? Encourages survivors to do things other than rushing gens and who doesn't want bloodpoints?

• Iron
    Iron Member Posts: 241
    Options

I love the idea! Maybe we could then have monstrous shrine interact with it in some way so it can be a little more useful of a perk.

• multibingles
    multibingles Member Posts: 32
    Options

Only if we can get ######### like this to stop happening. I'm sure they'll never find it here.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    Options

I think this is a good idea, and many have said this before. It's a buff for solo survivors. Is it bad for killers? I don't think it is because while Noed will not be in play as often due to this counter, survivors will spend more time in searching for totems when they are aware that there is still totems out there.

• DrDeepwound
    edited August 2020
    Options

It is at least better than it used to be. Lit totems used to spawn literally on top of the hill, now they spawn behind the rock on the hill LOL

Once you play this game enough totems are not difficult to find, theres only so many tiles and it is on one of them.

• PerkyPerky
    Options

I want SWF indicator and a way to block out matchmaking against SWF. You might have your totem counter then.

• mentalpopcorn
    mentalpopcorn Member Posts: 181
    Options

Okay firstly, totems do not need any changes. Most hex perks aren't that good to begin with, And of the ones that are, when you find the totem the killer is only running 3 perks for the rest of the game.

Secondly, totems HAVE a counter. It's called looking around the map and cleansing it. The map and some perks can help you find them more easily, small game for example. Most totem based perks are already not good, if totems need anything it's a buff. 90% of the time the totem is in an easy to spot area anyways so those few times it's in an impossible to find spot are generally absolutely deserved. If totems weren't so easy to find I'd agree.

• mentalpopcorn
    edited August 2020
    Options

Or you know, just use your brain for a half a second. Not EVERYTHING needs to be available on your hud. This only discourages any semblance of thought the survivor would need.

• mentalpopcorn
    edited August 2020
    Options

I don't understand this idiotic idea. Yes, let's buff EVERYTHING ELSE to match the clearly op swf mode. You realize how stupid that is right? That's like buffing everyone to be as op as the newest champion in league instead just nerfing the 1 op thing.

It seems way too many people think buffing everything else is a good idea and healthy for the game, instead of nerfing the clearly strong outlier.

Swf should be disabled in ranked and there should be a normal mode where it's allowed. Swf is way too easy.

• TheDFD
    TheDFD Member Posts: 64
    Options

But the killer could see it to so your argument is pointless, well done.

• mentalpopcorn
    edited August 2020
    Options

I'm a killer main and I never have an issue with knowing what hook someone is on. It really doesn't take that much thought. Stop encouraging more thoughtlessness.

Perks in this game already allow people to be more braindead than ever compared to a while ago

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

Or we brings people up to the standards of the strongest mode and then balance the other side accordingly. You can't buff killers to nerf swf without killing solo and you can't add different queues because of the current absurd wait times

• Customapple0
    Customapple0 Member Posts: 629
    Options

That has nothing to do with a totem counter.

Can you take your clear killer biased thoughts and go elsewhere?

• mentalpopcorn
    Options

Wait times wouldn't be so bad if the ranking system wasn't so bad. Fact is 90% of the population is at purple and red ranks, queue times are very fast up there though. I find a Match on both killer pretty quickly. A normal queue would probably make queue times more healthy as well. There would be more people trying different sides in normals, as well as more killers in ranked due to no more swf which would drop survivor queue times (which for the most part is the queue with the problems)

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options
  • mentalpopcorn
    Options

There does need to be an option to prevent being paired with swf or at least an indicator. There are a couple reasons for this. Firstly because swf is op, that's just a fact. It's the most op thing in the game currently, there isn't a single other thing that gives either the survivors or killers more of an advantage than swf. The second reason (and the reason I want this) is the toxicity. Most toxicity comes from swf in my experience. I play to have fun. I don't really care about pipping, but if I have to deal with piece of ######### survivors all game who want to make it their job to be as toxic as possible, that is game ruining. Dealing with one toxic survivor is much easier than dealing with a swf of toxicity. With 1 surv you can either just Mori If you got it or camp them till they're out.

And by toxic I don't mean playing the game well. By toxic I mean playing the game well just to tbag after an outplay when they could be getting away, or sitting at exit tbagging waiting for killer, or running away from the exit just so they can head on you from a locker and escape. There are a lot of things survivors can do to just be outright garbage, and it's much more commonly done in swf parties. I don't mind being outplayed If the survivor doesn't have the most inflated ego because of it. Outplay me all day, as long as you're not an ######### about it there's fun to be had.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174
    edited August 2020
    Options

As a Survivor a counter tied to a perk or add-on would be great to have but as a killer having a counter available to everyone isn't a good idea.

Hex perks used to be very very strong with the justification that it's a huge gamble. Take the risk of bringing Ruin that can be cleansed and possibly reap the rewards but with changes to older hexes and new very underwhelming ones the reward isn't as high as the risk for most of them.

Very few killers actually run Hexes anymore because of the low reward factor. Yes many will still run Huntress lullaby or Devour Hope or with the new Tome even the highly underrated Third Seal but the only 1 hex that actually needs some work is NoED and if a counter is put in place just to help players prevent NoED then it renders all Hex perks pointless to run and adds that many more useless perks to the killer roster which reducing the number of viable perks is unhealthy for the game.

Imagine if every killer could inflict exhausted until you recover to healthy just to bypass Dead Hard for example, since a lot of killers complain about that one for some reason, it would render most exhaustion perks highly situational and remove them from being run as often making even less viable Survivor perks.

• Mdawgu
    Mdawgu Member Posts: 408
    Options

It’s a neat idea, I like it quite a bit. However the only reason something like this would ever need to exist is because of NOED. And NOED doesn’t tie into every game you play making it kind of uneeded.

A hud addition wouldn’t be great either in my opinion, I would just have a small chime play whenever a dull is cleansed. If teammates take note and know some are done it might motivate them to do their bones more often.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174
    Options

I can get behind that idea, just give a notification similar to the sound you get when you get a stack on a perk, or even just make the bone breaking sound map wide for Survivors