Remember When Games Were About FUN?

Options

Since when was everything about proving that you're better than someone else through any means?

Why can't we just get along and realise we all need each other for this game to work?

How can you honestly justify making other people MISERABLE for a reward that lasts for all of 30 seconds and comes with so much hate attached?

Why aren't games about fun any more?

These are several questions that I find myself lately, especially in regards to Dead by Daylight. This isn't a competitive setting where people's livelihoods depend on it, outside of a few streamers who could honestly jump ship into another game if it. So why do so many killers these days act like getting 4 kills every game determines their entire life? I play killer to not only test myself but to test the survivors and see what they're made of. I play survivor to see just how well I can do and to see if I can be the support for others that I wish that I've had before.

Lately it feels like I'm being forced to use perks and strategies that I personally despise because of the mindset of "I payed money, I can play how I want" when everyone else did and some of them now basically CAN'T play because you decided to only focus on 4 kills, or just suicide because you were found first. I am now having to equip perks like Decisive Strike and Unbreakable to deal with killers on a general level, rather than running perks I want to such as Dance with Me and Quick & Quiet because of the amount of tunnelling and slugging with this new MMR matchmaking that is giving me worse rainbows than the previous iterations.

I will not tell you to change your playstyle. That argument goes nowhere. All I'm asking is that we all just stop for a minute and realise that this is a video game. Something that we all do for fun, and if we don't stop acting the way we do, then nobody will be having fun for much longer.

If you must comment, then please just be respectful. No "git gud", no "entitled", no nothing. I'm not getting banned because you don't like that I'm challenging your ideals, and if I get a whiff of severe disrespect, I will be seeking the mods to close the thread.

This is just a game and we all need to remember that. Have fun. After all that's why we're here.

Comments

• PerkyPerky
    PerkyPerky Member Posts: 347
    Options

Can't have fun when game is not balanced and survivor-sided though. I am not here to entertain the survivors and give them free escapes.

• rottmeister
    rottmeister Member Posts: 316
    Options

I agree with pretty much everything you said. :)

I do love to run fun/non meta builds, but recently when I tried out a completely new build I got first hook mori'd 3 games in a row, then left on hook until stage 2 to then get immediately downed and was about to get hooked again. First time this year I purposefully dc'ed mid match. The match after had an offering that didn't turn... I quit and chose to play a different game. :/

So yeah, at that point I'll run a meta build because I want to have some sort of fun too.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Options

Have you watched OhTofu's latest YouTube video by any chance?

• JFF
    JFF Member Posts: 166
    Options

I would love to get along with everyone here, but it's harder than it seems. Most of the people who play only one side create "us vs them" mentality, which creates even more toxic enviroment than it is. Also DBD's design gives people tools that can be abused to grief or deprive your opponents of the fun.

Also many players don't understand losing is part of the game and it's completely fine to not 4k every match as a killer or escape every match as a survivor.

I just hope devs are working on these issues and try to unite both sides, so we can have more friendly and respectful community.

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666
    Options

When competitive gaming became the trend, everything went to #########.

• ZerLukas
    ZerLukas Member Posts: 294
    Options

Almost every single game has been taken competitively in some form. Even purely PvE games have competitions (like speedrunning)

PvP games always come with an inherent competitive element and DbD is no exception.

Even though I consider DbD a casual game with a competitive element there are plenty of players who treat it as a pure competition.

I myself usually play a lot more competitively as killer. Because outside of competitive element the killer gameplay for the most part is doing circles around pallets which is very far from my idea of fun.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

I'm not saying get along, but just that remember what the point of a game is. It's something we've all forgotten and it shows. Too many people these days across all forms of multiplayer game care more about their rank and skill than playing a game. Happens to me in games like Rainbow Six: Siege, when I load into casual matches and get higher rank players just going hardcore. In a mode called CASUAL/QUICK MATCH.

There's being competitive, and then there's sucking the fun out of it all. Don't lose the competitive edge, but don't let it rule your playing.

• Veen
    Veen Member Posts: 706
    Options

This ^

It's not only on dbd, on many "casual gamemodes" in games who have a competitive one, some people pressures everybody like their life on the matter, the community isn't on the matter, certain people/streamers/youtubers who advertise toxic environment in game can also be responsible to bring the community down.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

That is why I did title it "GAMES were about fun". I'm not denying @ZerLukas's point, but just saying that competitive mindsets are becoming too prevalent these days.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

How is the game survivor sided though? In my experience lately the game is way more killer sided, if we want to go on the outdated statistics of kills vs. escapes.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm perfectly fine with it, but it is purely about HOW I die, not IF I die. Lately, all my games have been trash with hook suicides and hardcore killers or high ranking SWF squads against essentially brand new killers.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

No! I don't actually follow Tofu at all. What I did come across today, though, is ScottJund's video about NoED being trash, and I have been saying all of those points for a while now.

• PerkyPerky
    PerkyPerky Member Posts: 347
    Options

Let me guess, the statistics where even before ruin was reworked?

• PigMainClaudette
    Options
  • xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803
    Options

The problem isn’t that people don’t play for fun, it’s that everyone has a different idea of what fun is.

A full SWF teabagging with Object and flashlight macros may not be fun to you or me, but to those particular survivors it’s fun.

A killer running forever Freddy with four slowdown perks may not be fun for the survivors, but it may be fun for the killer.

A Wraith running a meme build and bing bonging away could be having a great time, but to someone who was expecting a serious game it may be completely unfun.

There’s no universal “fun” way to play DBD. I don’t find farming fun but others do. I find being tunnelled for all five gens fun, but it’s probably not fun for anyone else in the match, and others consider being tunnelled unfun.

So how do you please everyone? I try to play in a way that’s fun for me and I don’t want to ruin anyone’s match, but I still get people telling me I’m “playing like a #########” sometimes, when I don’t think I am at all. I certainly don’t try to. But I’m not a circus clown who’s there to entertain others - I don’t cheat, exploit, BM, try to be toxic or abuse overpowered stuff, but I feel like that’s as far as my consideration for others needs to go. Sorry if it’s not fun if I do gens fast or get downs fast, but it’s not fun to lose. That’s life.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

The number 1 rule of multiplayer game design is that, in even a mildly competitive setting, people will try to win even if it isn't fun. That was drilled home to me by my game design professor. This is a basic human trait that you cannot abolish in a gaming setting. It doesn't matter how casual a game is, there will always be people that play only to win and use whatever advantage the game gives them or doesn't ban them for.

SWF abusers, keys, and mori's are perfect examples: Everyone that uses (or in the case of SWF, abuses) them is fully aware that they are making their opposition miserable and would probably have a better time just messing around. However, the human drive to succeed and, by extension prove that they are the better, clearly overrides the desire to enjoy.

This is significantly less prevalent in singleplayer settings, when individuals that like to enjoy the experience don't absue bugs, glitches and exploits. However, the "hardcore mode" gamers are a clear example of the competitive nature of humans often overriding the desire to have fun.

Essentially, thanks to the way we are programmed, we enjoy winning more than messing around. And thanks to the fact that we have competitive people going against us all the time, we feel the desire to compete with them sig ificantly more than we ordinarily would.

And I think I just condensed a 2 hour lecture. Sorry about that. Still, I hope it sheds light on why the game is the way it is.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893
    Options

The answer is simple....

Dopamine Addiction.

Its not DBD's fault, its the condition of humanity as a whole.

• topaxx
    topaxx Member Posts: 1
    Options

What about a unrated Game mode, Just for fun?

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

That'd be nice, but there'll be the excuse of a divided playerbase and there will still be sweats going into an unrated. There is also an issue of matching players together with SOME sort of matchmaking.

• PigMainClaudette
    Options

It's fine. It's also something that I think that I've heard before.

Somehow, if you ask me what my all time favourite games then they'll all be because of their story elements: Borderlands 2, Ratchet & Clank: Gladiator (or Deadlock for some of you) and even Gears of War 3 I played for the story, but then again I didn't have internet at the time.

I'd just wish that people would take things a little less seriously.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Yep. I had a game last night, got sent to Haddonfield as Bubba with an OoO, decided to just take it chill and just mindlessly follow a Kate around the whole time... And got flamed in chat for being a bad player and had someone explain, in detail, what "bloodlust" was, to someone 10 ranks above them. They were taking the game so seriously that they didn't understand the term "memeing".

Honestly, it was rather fascinating. At first I thought they were just memeing with me, but as the chat progressed I realised that they weren't being sarcastic at all. They genuinely thought I was trying to kill them and failing miserably because they couldn't comprehend that someone wasn't playing the game for keeps.

• vogit10102
    vogit10102 Member Posts: 225
    Options

Yes, and before the massive nerf to syringes and toolboxes and gen times when survs work together. And also, before cannibal and doc buff. And finally before DC penalties, so imagine the statistics now.

• pedroframil
    pedroframil Member Posts: 45
    Options

That's one of the things that bother me the most while playing DBD. The game offers you 20 killers with 72 different perks and 22 survivors with 80 different perks. A lot of items and addons. But the real experience is limited to a dozen perks, undefeatable builds, and a lot of sweat and tears.

And here on my region (South America) the community is extra-toxic. I have some NA and EU friends who play the game and even tho they face some toxicity, here it's another level. People really hope to destroy the experience for the other side.

The only way i really have a funny experience is when i get to face mid-rank players. That way i can play a little sloppy, go for adepts or meme builds while not ruining the experience for neither side.

People always complain when somebody says the game is survivor-sided. It is, under certain circunstances.

The current game situation is something like this: SWF Survivors -> Good Killers -> Bad Killers -> Solo Survivors.

If you are able to MAXIMIZE efficiency, the survivors can pop various gens across the map, no matter what killer they are facing. That way, a 4-man death squad can win every single game in a row. The same way a very efficient killer with good tactics and no fear of judgement (noed, tunnel, camp, slug when necessary) can do a pretty goob job when not facing a death squad. And even using a bad character. And that makes the solo uncoordinated experience almost a literal nightmare. But that doesn't happen because survivors are weak, but because you rely a lot on luck as a solo survivor. You can be left to die on first hook, you can get teammates that avoid the objective, who throws the game or just care about themselves.

As a survivor, you need to do gens and worry only about a killer. As a killer, you have to stop 4 people who can very much spread across the map from reaching their objective. So the game is a little survivor-sided, and it has to be, unless you want 4ks all the time while not SWFing, and I say that as a red rank on both sides. That's what my experience playing solo, SWF and killer showed me. We have other things that throw away the raw balance of the game and make matches unpredictable, but technically speaking, thats pretty much it.

I really think another game modes would make the game MUCH MORE FUN and challenging.

An adept only competitive mode.

An unranked multiplayer matchmaking mode.

A try-to-survive mode with only 1 hook to kill and a lot of players.

A killer-showdown mode.

But it seems prety distant from reality right now.

• wozzajh
    wozzajh Member Posts: 1
    Options

I play pretty much 50/50 killer survivor some days it will be more killer other more survivor. And when I play killer I cannot go for 1 hour without getting t-bagged and if that happens I will slug the team to get a 4K then we I'll be called toxic. It's not right.

• EmpireWinner
    EmpireWinner Member Posts: 1,054
    Options

"have fun"Yes, everybody has their own method of having fun. Try Harding or not

If people have fun going for the 4k, slug, tbag, try new perks etc... Let them

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,214
    Options

The problem with killer is this: If you as killer outskill your opponent, you can play nice and still win easy.

If you are outskilled, you are basicly helpless, because the whole game just runs away from you. And people don´t like feeling that helpless, no matter what they do. Camping and tunneling give them some control back, because while they lose the game anyway, they still accomplished something.

As survivor, thats usually not an issue, because even if you as an individual are outskilled, there are 3 more players doing stuff, and you can adept your playstyle way better. Hooked 2 times while the rest isn´t? Yeah, you play a little bit more carefull and avoid the killer. And you still do gens and even waste the killers time when he searches for you. You are still relevant in the game, no matter what. Even if you are camped, you buying your team time to win the game. Even then, you contribute.

• slim0b
    slim0b Member Posts: 551
    Options

Oh sorry I forgot to write another sarcastic paragraph for the survivor side and now im bias !!!!!!!!!!!

ggezzzzzzzzzzzzz baby killer git gud HOW ARE YOU IN RANK 5 camper tunneler smh, OMG don't play spirit, don't play clown, don't play pyramid head, don't run noed, don't bamboozle my windows, don't play ghostface, don't play freddy, and don't play doctor AKA the easiest killer in the game, don't play jumpscare myers on lery's, don't stay 128meters near a hook, and finally you can only down me 20 minutes after I get unhooked.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,141
    edited August 2020
    Options

Games still are about fun, and those designs are primarily in MMOs and single-player or co-op PvE games. You mentioned Borderlands 2 in a previous post, and that is a prime example. It's a PvE game.

Hell, I'm about to play through State of Decay, Alan Wake, and the four seasons of Telltale's Walking Dead again for fun.

PvP games, though, have always been about competitiveness and defeating the enemy team by any means available. It was even true back in WoW PvP. It was true in Quake. Is true in Overwatch. And is true in DbD. Nothing has changed about games being about fun, but you also have to look at the correct genres for that. You can't come to the PvP genre and expect one side to care if the enemy is having fun. PvP players care about winning.

It's why before Overwatch launched in 2016, the only PvP I ever did was in WoW. I looked at DbD back then, saw that it was a PvP game, and didn't look again until mid-2018. The only reason I owned Overwatch at launch was because it was an early father's day gift from my 23 (at the time) year old son because he and work friends were playing and wanted me to join. Otherwise, I doubt I would have ever bought Overwatch.

Generally speaking, I don't care for PvP games. Overwatch is the exception. Dead by Daylight is too much a mess, in the hands of a weak developer, for me to care much anymore.