Totem counter is needed

Options
2»

Comments

• mentalpopcorn
    mentalpopcorn Member Posts: 181
    Options

I think it's pretty naive to think the MMR system in dbd will work well... If you can't make a half decent ranking system I doubt they could make an alright MMR system. (in fact they only made it worse as time went on. Ranking was literally more rewarding when the game came out because rank 1 wasn't easy)

This will be one of those wait and see moments, but I personally doubt it will be implemented well. It is however something I've wanted for a while as the way it was before discouraged killers from trying a new killer since you'd certainly have to give up a rank or 2 if you're switching from someone like billy to hag, or hag or a m1 killer to a stealth killer. I've stopped caring about rank for a while now so it's stopped effecting me, but a couple months ago when I cared about my rank as a hag/spirit main I was very reluctant to ever go near anything new because of that

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

A totem counter would probably make hex perks useless and people would probably stop running them.

• Breque
    Breque Member Posts: 427
    Options

Ds counter dont tunnel, Dead hard counter dont swing always, BT counte dont tunnel and dont camp, unbreakable counter pick the survival ( and unbreakable can just be use one time so if you are not in the other side of the map you pick him fine)

Survival perks is not op, you just have to have more experience and learn how the game works

• seki23
    seki23 Member Posts: 833
    Options

or they could add a hud telling survivors how many totems are left not for free but with small game or detectives hunch or something like that.

• multibingles
    multibingles Member Posts: 32
    Options

Because totems are really easy to find and you don't need a counter.

• pedroframil
    pedroframil Member Posts: 45
    Options

A nice, not gamebreaking and balanced idea is a sight for sore eyes. Kudos.

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723
    Options

I wouldn't be opposed to it as long as it worked properly. Anything to keep the game going.

• Sunbreaker7
    Sunbreaker7 Member Posts: 647
    Options

I like the idea of a Totem counter, would encourage me to do more totems if I could keep count for disabling Noed before end game.

• TotemsCleanser
    TotemsCleanser Member Posts: 617
    Options

Idk what kinda teammates y'all are getting bc I promise I my soloQ teammates never do a single bone and I know rank isn't really relevant but I will still mention I'm rank 1 and play with other red ranks most matches (just in case someone decides to blame this on my teammates' rank).

This idea is actually really nice because playing soloQ I would be able to at least confirm that my teammates are in fact NOT doing totems and thus continue on my search. I am currently obsessed with doing totems because I have removed NOED from killers' hands so many times and it's so damn satisfying that I simply cannot stop. When playing SWF this is usually an easier task, when playing soloQ however it is a nightmare. I have had matches when I've done four totems and prayed that my teammates have at least done ONE only to face NOED at the end of the match because my teammates have, in fact, not done a single totem the entire match.

Being able to check this in the basement during soloQ would actually be really nice, and people who say it would be too op are not realizing that it doesn't change the way that the game is working right now. SWF will continue to rule. This would only help soloQ players who are in a far worse position when compared to SWF. Having it displayed on the HUD would be too much, perhaps, because it would be constantly reminding the survivors that there are still totems standing around the map. Having it on lit candles in the basement would require survivors to go there just to check. And then they would need to return to their search for totems around the map.

I agree that totem spawn locations need to be fixed on many maps. I feel that some examples of maps with good totem spawns are Glenvale and all closed maps (Midwich, Lery's, The Game and Hawkins). The totems are there, but most times not in plain sight, there are many spawn locations in Glenvale where you can barely see them through the bushes. Yesterday I was running Ruin and with the new awful auras it took me a while to find my own totem because it was in a spot I didn't even know totems could show up and damn was it a good spot. As for the closed, inside, idk what to call them maps, I feel tracking the locations is way harder because every place looks similar and they're usually more properly hidden, specially when you compare them to the "classic" maps like Autohaven, MacMillan, Coldwind and etc where... let's just say I have 95% of the totem spawn locations memorized and they're so easy to find.

So yeah, totem spawn locations need improvement in many maps, so they're harder to spot imo. And also, survivors should NOT be spawning next to a lit totem at the beginning of the match. Which has happened to me when playing as survivor. Multiple times.

• kosmi
    kosmi Member Posts: 363
    Options

What is the point of hiding totem then? If you have counter for it? Whole point of totems is to get some time for killers instead of gen rushing...

• Iron
    Iron Member Posts: 241
    Options

Rank 1 was incredibly easy in the early days of this game what are you going on about?

• rogueplayer00
    rogueplayer00 Member Posts: 110
    Options

If they add a totem counter they can add perks that add more totems to the field so more variety in perk builds and loadouts so YES PLEASE

• kosmi
    Options

What is the point of hiding totems if you can know how many is there? What is there not to understand?

• mentalpopcorn
    Options

Your opinion will mean something when you actually have a legitimate reason backing it. A single sentence is meaningless and replying to an argument with nothing more than "that's stupid" is stupid itself.

• mentalpopcorn
    Options

I see someone didn't actually play in the early days. Rank 1 was for sure harder than it is now, and you were reset to 20 at the end of every season so putting enough hours in wasn't enough to get rank 1 like it is now. All rank means now is the amount of time you play the game. At least then it was able to gauge skill level if even a little bit. The amount of skill gap at rank 1 is ridiculous now. You'll find some baby survivors and some amazing survivors. Back then at least it was consistent to find people who knew what they were doing.

• kosmi
    Options

Well it also take surprise mechanics from totem perks.

• Demonl3y
    Demonl3y Member Posts: 1,416
    Options
  • Iron
    Iron Member Posts: 241
    Options

I played back in 2016, not over that summer, but unless something drastically changed immediately then getting bp determined whether you pipped, not much to do with skill back then either lol

• Switcheroo
    Switcheroo Member Posts: 48
    Options

The time people spend to look for totems would probably be increased with them always going down to check how many are left

• Kira15233
    Kira15233 Member Posts: 473
    Options

You don't need it to be basekit, just run Detective's hunch and you got your totem counter, in all honesty (I play both equally) I find survivors have enough information like that (Make your choice exposed/Devour Hope exposed and etc) if you know the maps and spawns, the game is fairly easy to know where gens/totems will spawn...that's a fact

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172
    Options

You get a broom and clear away some of the clutter around the map. Maybe mop a few of the stains up or rake some leaves (if you're on an outdoors map). During your cleaning you may happen across a totem at which point you can put your cleaning supplies away, take out your cleansing gloves and moan/grunt as you remove the totem.

• Deathslinger
    Deathslinger Member Posts: 570
    Options

If this was implemented, I know the new meme would be for a survivor or all survivors to cleanse bones and then wait in the basement for killer to go down stairs, just to find them tbagging for my attention to show me they cleansed all my totems.

Yes children, grandpa Deathslinger thinks you did a very good job whack. Now get out of my basement!

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    Options

the title made me wonder if you meant "counter strategy" and I was excited for the opportunity to say "a good totem counter would be if we were able to deactivate them as we saw them or mark them in memory to do so later while also having a couple of perks to make finding them easy". So I am both disappointed, but also relieved at the same time. I've seen the basement candles idea before and I think it is a good one. I usually solo survivor, and grab usually a couple of totems at least myself so this would be helpful for solo qeeurs without giving any free information. Gameplay would basically be the same, just not being uncertain about a totem left before going balls deep on the last gen or an exit gate.

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    Options

we already get 1K bp for unhexed ones, not getting one hit KO'd when you thought you were about to win is the rest of the reward for it

• dudeguy129
    dudeguy129 Member Posts: 48
    Options
  • mylesmylo
    mylesmylo Member Posts: 354
    edited August 2020
    Options

Or just add the counter to small game easy lol but the basement idea tho is definitely alot more interesting, but something as interesting as that probably wouldnt work right as its DBD 🤣 we need some simply like adding it to small game